PDA

View Full Version : Malik Rose is in town...

milkyway21
07-12-2008, 05:50 AM
I don't know if you're interested, but I am excited:

Because one of the Spurs fans favorite players of all time(incl me), is in Manila, Philippines to participate in the NBA madness for this year...

MANILA , PHILIPPINES , July 8, 2008 – Two-time NBA Champion Malik Rose of the New York Knicks, the Sacramento Kings Dance Team, and Rufus Lynx, the mascot of the Charlotte Bobcats, will host the Grand Finals of NBA Madness presented by Coca-Cola at Glorietta from July 10 to 13, 2008. Also, as part of the DHL-NBA Trophy Tour, the Larry O’Brien Championship Trophy will return to the Philippines to make an appearance at the Grand Finals.

Malik Rose is a 12-year veteran who won two NBA Championship titles in his NBA career as a key member of San Antonio Spurs’ NBA Championship teams of 1999 and 2003. He will participate in the Center Court competitions and interact with fans. He will also conduct the Monmilk Basketball Clinic for local kids and share basketball tips and insights on what it takes to be a successful basketball player.

The Sacramento Kings Dance Team, one of the most exciting dance teams in the NBA, will entertain the crowd with their explosive and high-energy performances, while Rufus Lynx will delight fans with his acrobatic antics, comical routines and dunking skills

FYI.

BTW, Btv TV commercial for Monmilk features Tim Duncan.

:elephant

exstatic
07-12-2008, 09:41 AM
He lives in SA durring his long offseasons.

Read the story location. Not everyone on this board is from San Antonio.

Sissiborgo
07-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Malik master

angel_luv
07-12-2008, 11:46 AM
That's awesome. :)

duncan228
07-12-2008, 12:58 PM
BTW, Btv TV commercial for Monmilk features Tim Duncan.

Is it on line anywhere?

RashoFan
07-12-2008, 01:46 PM
I think that is so awesome! I hope you have a chance to see him in person. He is such a kind person, really seems to like making people feel special. I got to meet him once in person. He is just too cute. He is GOOD PEOPLE!!!!

Rover82
07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
he is building a new house in greystone.

mrspurs
07-12-2008, 05:06 PM
as long as he aint in a spurs uniform demanding millions to sit on the bench and eat philly sandwiches i dont care

milkyway21
07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Is it on line anywhere?sorry, but I don't know if there's a link to it. I only see it between games...I think this product in made in China or something. It's a cute ad. It's Duncan playing with a cartoon or something.

milkyway21
07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
I think that is so awesome! I hope you have a chance to see him in person. He is such a kind person, really seems to like making people feel special. I got to meet him once in person. He is just too cute. He is GOOD PEOPLE!!!!

I went to Glorietta malling with my friends and saw him (from a distance), with the youth basketball hopefuls. I think he's nice, but he was once a Spur so I was not surprised:).

check this out about his trip to Manila/Makati:

http://www.nba.com/madness2008/philippines/

duncan228
07-14-2008, 08:32 PM
sorry, but I don't know if there's a link to it. I only see it between games...I think this product in made in China or something. It's a cute ad. It's Duncan playing with a carton or something.

Thanks for answering. I'll keep my eyes open, it might make youtube sooner or later.

SequSpur
07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
lets retire his #...

milkyway21
07-14-2008, 10:31 PM
you sure, Sequ?

:lol IMO, Malik Rose brought more attendance (and commotion), than Arenas.

I wish a Spur would visit in the next madness or even HOF- The Coyote.

milkyway21
07-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I would like to share with you guys what Malik thought of the Phils.

There were some articles about him in our local newspapers, here are some of them:

Philippine Star - Saturday, July 12

Like the other NBA stars before him, New York Knicks' Malik Rose was as amazed on the Filipinos' passion for basketball.

"What really surprised me are the fans, their knowledge of the game, they really know their basketball," said Rose, in town for the NBA Madness Mall Tour 2008.

Rose, a former member of two championship teams at San Antonio, admitted he has little knowledge of the country and this was through former PBA player Chip Engelland, his shooting coach.

"Actually, I learned it from one of my coaches who was a former star here, Chip Engelland. He's my shooting coach, he said he shot a couple of 40 points when he was still playing here," said Rose.

The sexy and pretty dancers of the Sacramento Kings and the Charlotte Bobcats' mascot, Rufus Lynx, were also on hand to spice up the event at the Hard Rock Café in Glorietta Mall in Makati City.

Some side events spicing up the NBA Madness Tour include the media challenge, the NBA slam dunk competition, the Coca-Cola shooting stars, Caltex 2Ball, the DHL Speed Challenge and the NBA Three-Point Shootout presented by Basketball TV. - Joey Villar/Philstar

Rose says hard work pays off
Philippine Star - Sunday, July 13

New York power forward Malik Rose said yesterday his uncompromising work ethic has led to a long 13-year career in the NBA and he hopes to still be in uniform when the Knicks become a title contender once more.

Rose, 33, arrived in Manila last Thursday night to grace the finals of the NBA Madness events at the Glorietta in Makati this weekend. He came with wife Tiffany and Charlotte Bobcats mascot Rufus Lynx.

In a STAR interview, Rose said he made it to the pros despite struggling as a high school player who was better in baseball than basketball.

"My advice to aspiring players is don't listen to what people say," he said. "Trust in yourself. People thought I was too small to play big in the NBA. But if you want something bad enough, you work hard and good things will happen. I wasn't the best player in my high school team and when I graduated, I got just three basketball scholarship offers from Rider, Pennsylvania and Drexel."

Rose said he got baseball scholarship offers from Duquesne and Pittsburgh. An invitation for a music scholarship at Carnegie-Mellon was also on the table. Rose eventually decided to enroll at Drexel where he later finished with dual bachelor degrees in computer information systems and teacher preparation.

"I never dreamed of playing in the NBA until my junior year in college," continued Rose. "That was when I started to rack up numbers. I finished second in the nation in rebounding. Scouts began to take notice. Only then did I realize I had a shot at playing in the NBA."

Rose said he owes it to God to make a living out of the game he loves to play. "I really don't have a secret to my longevity in the NBA," he said. "It's all by the grace of God. He blessed me with a strong and healthy body that I could use to build a career in the NBA. He led me to where I was at the right place, at the right time. I played eight great years at San Antonio where I won two championships. Now, I'm playing for a great town, New York, with great fans who know their sports and make you know it."

Rose admitted his playing time has gone down lately. This past season, he saw action in only 49 games, averaging 3.5 points and 10.1 minutes.

"I haven't played much the last three years but that means I've gained three more years of playing in the future," he said. "I'm not thinking of retiring. I think I can play a few more years. We've got a new coach (Mike D'Antoni) and general manager (Donnie Walsh) and I'm excited to play for the Knicks this season. We're moving in the right direction. Coach D'Antoni will help us turn the ship around. It'll take a lot of hard work and all the players to be committed to compete. I know it's coach D'Antoni's style to run. Running isn't really my style but I know this game. I'll do what coach D'Antoni wants me to do. Once he puts me on the court, I'll be ready."

Rose said moving from a winning situation in San Antonio to a losing proposition in New York took a bit of getting used to.

"I'm not knocking my New York teammates but it's different when you've got a Tim Duncan playing on your team," said Rose. "There are 29 teams out there wishing for a Duncan. At San Antonio, we approached the game the same way, win or lose. We were ready to play. No one's to blame for our losing situation in New York. I hate the losing part because I'm not used to losing. From winning 60 games in San Antonio, now we're losing that many games in New York. But things are changing. We're making the right moves. Management is serious in committing to win."

Rose said the Knicks' first round pick Danilo Gallinari will play a key role in the turnaround.

"Being only 19 and getting drafted in the first round gives you an idea about this kid's potential," he said. "We don't start training until October so in the meantime, I'm staying in shape, playing pick-up ball and getting ready for camp."

Rose said at 6-7, he's been assigned to defend against Shaquille O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Peja Stojakovic and even point guard Steve Nash. - Joaquin Henson/Philstar

--------------------------------

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/star/20080712/tsp-nba-rose-madness-mall-tour-a960e73.html

milkyway21
07-14-2008, 11:50 PM
and here's another :

Rose's special friend is Pinay

Philippine Star - Tuesday, July 15

New York power forward Malik Rose and wife Tiffany said the other day they expected Filipino hospitality to be warm because their Filipina friend Marivic Lardizabal, who works in the Knicks front office, couldn't be warmer.

Before flying to Manila last week, Rose said he spoke with Lardizabal, the Knicks senior secretary for basketball operations.

"My wife and Marivic are good friends," said Rose. "Marivic's real special to us. We've even met her parents who live in California. She knew we were going to Manila and told us we'd enjoy our experience because Filipinos love basketball and they're very warm and hospitable. She was right."

The Roses were in town for the weekend to attend the finals of the NBA Madness Mall Tour events at the Glorietta in Makati.

Lardizabal joined the Knicks when Larry Brown was appointed head coach in 2005. She was brought into the organization by Brown to be his personal executive assistant. When Brown's contract was bought out after a year, his successor Isiah Thomas persuaded Lardizabal to stay with the Knicks. Now that Thomas has been replaced by Mike D'Antoni, it appears Lardizabal will continue to stay on - a tribute to her efficiency at work.

As for Rose, he said playing for coaches Dave Cowens in Charlotte, Gregg Popovich in San Antonio and Lenny Wilkens, Herb Williams, Brown and Thomas in New York has been an enriching experience.

"I learned a lot from all my coaches," the 13-year pro said. "They also taught me to play hard until the last buzzer. They encouraged me to play defense. They put an emphasis on discipline."

Regarding his musical inclination, Rose said he plays the trombone and tuba only for recreation. "I'm not thinking of cutting any CDs or anything like that," he said. "My career is in basketball, not music."

A native of Philadelphia, Rose said if he had a choice, he'd play for a dream team with his hometown heroes Charles Barkley and Julius Erving. "But that's just a dream," he smiled.

On defending bigger players, Rose said it's their worry, not his.

"There's no pressure on me when I'm guarding guys like Shaq (O'Neal)," said the 6-7, 255-pound Rose. "Shaq's bigger than me and he's supposed to score easily against me. So the pressure is more on him than me because I'm out there trying to stop him. When (Steve) Nash was in Dallas, I often switched on him when they ran pick-and-rolls with (Dirk) Nowitzki. We didn't go under the pick and just switched so I got to cover Nash. It's all in the system. My job is to play defense, rebound and hit open shots. I'm just there to compete."

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/star/20080715/tsp-rose-tiffany-filipina-friend-a960e73.html

duncan228
07-15-2008, 12:19 AM
"I'm not knocking my New York teammates but it's different when you've got a Tim Duncan playing on your team," said Rose. "There are 29 teams out there wishing for a Duncan.

:)

Thanks for the articles milkyway21.

milkyway21
07-15-2008, 12:56 AM
:)

Thanks for the articles milkyway21.

I'm just returning the favor of you posting Duncan articles :lol

Malik seems like he missed San Antonio & his best friend Duncan. I wish I had the opportunity to ask him the ingredients of that famous Philly sandwiches of his :hungry:

:lmao

ilovethespurs
07-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Sayang di ko nakita si Malik. Kelan kaya pupunta sa Pinas si Tim Duncan?

Translation: What a waste I didnt get to see Malik. When will Tim Duncan come to the Philippines?

Viva Las Espuelas
07-15-2008, 01:12 AM
as long as he aint in a spurs uniform demanding millions to sit on the bench and eat philly sandwiches i dont carehell. he was making millions off the price of the philly sandwiches he was selling.

duncan228
07-15-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm just returning the favor of you posting Duncan articles

All Duncan, all the time. He's a fun specialty. :)

milkyway21
07-15-2008, 03:24 AM
Sayang di ko nakita si Malik. Kelan kaya pupunta sa Pinas si Tim Duncan?

Translation: What a waste I didnt get to see Malik. When will Tim Duncan come to the Philippines?
we need to sign a petition to the the NBA or Adidas for him to visit us, what do you think? :lol

he's the only superstar who has not endorsed his shoe in this town personally. Maybe he doesn't know we love Adidas and his #21 jersey is a popular jersey in Mla next to Kobe, if not the most popular. I cannot count the times I saw people wearing his jerseys around and on our local TV.

anakha
07-15-2008, 03:30 AM
we need to sign a petition to the the NBA or Adidas for him to visit us, what do you think? :lol

he's the only superstar who has not endorsed his shoe in this town personally. Maybe he doesn't know we love Adidas and his #21 jersey is a popular jersey in Mla next to Kobe, if not the most popular. I cannot count the times I saw people wearing his jerseys around and on our local TV.

I don't think Duncan does promotional tours. :p:

ilovethespurs
07-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Why not choconut? There's no harm in trying. Duncan in Manila!!

Duncanoypi
07-15-2008, 09:59 AM
Next year, Adidas is planning to send Kevin Garnett for the promotional tours...

fuck Adidas...i might think they will send Chauncey first before our very own Timmy!

angel_luv
07-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks for posting the articles. I enjoyed reading them. :)

duncan228
07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't think Duncan does promotional tours. :p:

fuck Adidas...i might think they will send Chauncey first before our very own Timmy!

anakha is right, it's not Duncan's thing.

Whatever adidas does it's important to remember that Duncan has a say in what he'll do. He does print ads for his shoes (latest one below), he does the campaigns, like last season's Basketball is a Brotherhood (link below).

http://www.adidas.com/sports/basketball/content/vertical/country/us/default.asp?strcountry_adidascom=us

Duncan has chosen what he'll endorse and how he'll represent it. You rarely see him off the court in anything but adidas shirts. He makes about $3.5 million a year from endorsements, he probably could make more but he chooses not to.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/promo/adidaswall.jpg

anakha
07-15-2008, 10:59 AM
While I understand (and respect) that Duncan has other priorities, I do empathize with the other Filipino fans.

Throw us a bone every once in a while, Tim. :D

duncan228
07-15-2008, 11:02 AM
While I understand (and respect) that Duncan has other priorities, I do empathize with the other Filipino fans.

Throw us a bone every once in a while, Tim. :D

I understand it too. I'm in the US and I wish he did more. I'm glad there's youtube, at least we can all get the HEB commercials. :lol

wildbill2u
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Malik is a genuinely nice guy and was a helluva substitute who played bigger than he was. He was an inspiration and fun to watch when he played for the Spurs. He'll always be welcome in San Antonio.

InRareForm
06-15-2016, 09:45 PM
what is malik up to these days?

GSH
06-15-2016, 10:02 PM
LOL... you jackass. :lol

Reviving an 8 year-old thread? I scanned down and saw a Duncan228 post, and just about choked. Then I realized what you'd done. Some random neurons fired, and you just wondered what Malik Rose is up to?

Malik is staying busy shooting infomercials for "The Malik Rose Philly Grill", and making unwanted donations to a sperm bank.

SaTo
06-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Lol, the image in this thread reminds me I still have a pair of those Adidas Duncan TS's. Search for those tonight!