PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting advice

DarrinS
07-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm a mechanical engineer, but I've been doing commercial software development since the the early 90's. I know practically everything there is to know about writing software, about 10 different programming languages, database, web development, 3d graphics, you name it.

Now I'm looking to get management position (I can't write code forever), so I'm just wondering what's the best avenue for my job search. I'd rather not just toss out a resume on Monster or Hotjobs because my employeer may see it and, besides, it kinda makes you look like you're just fishing for an offer.

Anyone ever had any experience with a recruitment firm? If so, do you have a recommendation?

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I haven't been in the job market in a LONG time, so it's kind of like getting back into dating after being married for 20 years.

Thanks.

mouse
07-17-2008, 02:51 PM
http://www.monster.com/

DarrinS
07-17-2008, 04:05 PM
http://www.monster.com/

Awesome dude. You are the man!

mouse
07-17-2008, 04:30 PM
The only person in this forum unemployed giving job advise. :lmao

DarrinS
07-17-2008, 04:45 PM
It was probably a dumb place to seek job advice. I don't know what I was thinking.

mouse
07-17-2008, 04:50 PM
If your serious there are Job Agencies that charge around 300 to 600 but they get you good jobs not listed in the paper and on monster.

TDMVPDPOY
07-24-2008, 01:02 AM
goto a non for profit organization to find you a job, where its free :D

Kori Ellis
07-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Send a private message to Katy. She works at a recruitment company. I don't know if they specialize in your area of expertise, but maybe she can refer you to someone.

Nbadan
07-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Social networking is always the best avenue for career changers...join a local organization that is involved in the field that you would like to go into...

ashbeeigh
07-24-2008, 12:29 PM
LinkedIn is pretty good for job hunting. My dad has actually scored a few interviews with people he's reconnected with from the past and/or made friends of friends with. It's kind of cheesy to start out with because it's kind of MySpace like, but it is very professional.