PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Are In The Ron Artest Sweepstakes

Duncan2177
07-12-2008, 01:57 PM
I have no update as yet on the one-sided Lakers-Kings talks reported on Thursday, but keep an eye on Ronny Turiaf's situation while the waiting game continues.

The Lakers forward has accepted a four-year, $17 million offer sheet from Golden State and the Lakers have seven days to match it. It seems inconceivable that they will and it's to the Kings' advantage if they don't.

If they are to convince the Lakers to take back forward Kenny Thomas in a deal in which Artest would be LA-bound and Lamar Odom would come to Sacramento, they need Turiaf to head for the Bay Area. The Lakers are already near the luxury tax and not looking to go any further, and they may buy into the logic that Thomas - who turns 31 on July 25 - could provide quality defensive-minded minutes off the bench just like Turiaf did.

With the chance to get out of Sacramento and his invisible existence, Thomas may even do a few dances courtside like the jovial Turiaf has been known for. Thomas is owed approximately $18 over the next two seasons, so the lump sum is about equal with Turiaf's offer sheet (albeit in two less seasons). It's the price of doing business if they want to acquire the underpaid Artest ($7.4 million).

Meanwhile, the many who can't envision a Lakers-Kings blockbuster trade of any kind have a valid point. It would go against the NBA grain, but it should be said that any and all theories that the Maloofs simply wouldn't let it happen couldn't be further from the truth. They will pull the trigger if they get what they want.

If not, they'll hope to make something happen with someone else. Among the teams I've been told to keep a serious eye on in the Artest sweepstakes: Dallas, Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and maybe even Charlotte. I often wonder about Toronto as well, but have yet to hear anything substantial on that front.

* As a quick sidenote, Artest continues to routinely go on the air with KHTK's Carmichael Dave.
The latest from the Ron-Ron show: he's decided to change his name. OK, so technically he wants to go by his middle name of William. The thinking? Since Ron Artest is back to getting so much negative media coverage, maybe going by Bill - as he requested to be called - could give him a fresh start. Never a dull moment... - Sam Amick

Brutalis
07-12-2008, 01:58 PM
You just have wishful thinking is all.

Duncan2177
07-12-2008, 02:01 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/

ShoogarBear
07-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Dear Ron/Bill:

WTF?

Sincerely,
Herschel/Joey/Steve

exstatic
07-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Dear Ron/Bill:

WTF?

Sincerely,
Herschel/Joey/Steve

:lmao

SPURSGOAT
07-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Wooptie doo! what are we going to trade for him!? We have a .02% chance now at landing him...

Biggems
07-12-2008, 02:14 PM
maybe sacramento wants bonner, udoka, vaughn, + a 2nd........but then again, when reality comes back to me......i laugh at this outrageously pompous notion.

Tully365
07-12-2008, 02:24 PM
I just don't see what the Spurs could offer to interest Sacramento-- especially if the Lakers are offering Odom, which would conveniently let the Kings unload the salary of Kenny Thomas too. The Spurs' trade pieces-- Oberto, Bonner, Udoka-- won't get it done, and it would be very un-spur-like to trade future picks or future hopes like Mahinmi for a guy as volatile as Artest.

exstatic
07-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Odom's contract ends next year, and they have Bynum's MAX deal to fund, something that Kenny Thomas' stinker of a deal will impact. That being said, I hope the Spurs are nowhere near talking about this psycho.

timvp
07-12-2008, 02:33 PM
According to HoopsWorld, Artest has been traded to or signed by the Spurs about 257 times in his career.

cant w8 4 2012
07-12-2008, 02:51 PM
can anyone see a bonner,oberto for artest scenario? I ain't as up on salary cap rules as others on here. but i tried the real gm trade checker and it worked out. Throw in some picks and the TE?

Fabbs
07-12-2008, 02:56 PM
can anyone see a bonner,oberto for artest scenario? I ain't as up on salary cap rules as others on here. but i tried the real gm trade checker and it worked out. Throw in some picks and the TE?
Maybe we could get Sacto to massage our crackholes at the sametime. :lol:downspin: :flypig

gawd that would be awesome.
The trade i mean, the trade!

Tully365
07-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Ah. another trade proposition where the Spurs land an all-star type player by dangling Matt Bonner.

If the Spurs just clone Bonner 10 times, they'll be able to trade for the top four or five players in the league.

Do it RC!

cant w8 4 2012
07-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Contracts, danielson

angelbelow
07-12-2008, 03:00 PM
According to HoopsWorld, Artest has been traded to or signed by the Spurs about 257 times in his career.

but i dont see him on our roster.. :rollin

SPURSGOAT
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM
:drunk:drunk:drunk:smokin:smokin

cant w8 4 2012
07-12-2008, 03:05 PM
:drunk:drunk:drunk:smokin:smokin

lil bit, lil bit :lol

rj215
07-12-2008, 04:11 PM
sorry can't/won't believe it....been burned too many times this offseason...

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

benefactor
07-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Why make a thread about this? We are not in the Artest sweepstakes or any other sweepstakes for that matter. Quit chasing pipe dreams and look at the reality. We MIGHT sign one more role player but for the most part this season is about developing our young players and hoping they can provide enough lift to get us one or two more rings before the TD/TP/Manu Era ends.

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 04:44 PM
]I just don't see what the Spurs could offer to interest Sacramento--[/B] especially if the Lakers are offering Odom, which would conveniently let the Kings unload the salary of Kenny Thomas too. The Spurs' trade pieces-- Oberto, Bonner, Udoka-- won't get it done, and it would be very un-spur-like to trade future picks or future hopes like Mahinmi for a guy as volatile as Artest.

Nuff said. Next!

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Why make a thread about this? We are not in the Artest sweepstakes or any other sweepstakes for that matter. Quit chasing pipe dreams and look at the reality. We MIGHT sign one more role player but for the most part this season is about developing our young players and hoping they can provide enough lift to get us one or two more rings before the TD/TP/Manu Era ends.

The Spurs biggest priority now is getting Kurt Thomas inked to a contract. Damn Artest.

mrspurs
07-12-2008, 04:48 PM
so now ron is gonna play the PF position or C position....cos i dont see anymore room for another shrimp on our squad.....

lotr1trekkie
07-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Even if Hellboy III came to us via Finley conditions---why would we want him and how would he fit into any rotation?

BlackSwordsMan
07-12-2008, 04:57 PM
We can use Artest to fight Kobe in the playoffs if worse comes to worse

Kori Ellis
07-12-2008, 04:58 PM
so now ron is gonna play the PF position or C position....cos i dont see anymore room for another shrimp on our squad.....

The only swingmen that the Spurs have right now are Bowen/Manu/Udoka/Mason. They definitely need one more wing. Too bad Ron isn't sane and the Spurs don't have someone tradeable who another team would want.

Sway
07-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Not going to happen, might as well not waste anymore time on this topic.

Twisted_Dawg
07-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Deceiving thread title.

Spurtacus
07-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Ron (or Bill) is nuts.

mowgli
07-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Bad thread title. Just bad!

VaSpursFan
07-12-2008, 05:54 PM
there is nothing to see here people...move along.

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 07:01 PM
The only swingmen that the Spurs have right now are Bowen/Manu/Udoka/Mason. They definitely need one more wing. Too bad Ron isn't sane and the Spurs don't have someone tradeable who another team would want.

If the Spurs are unable to find another wing, with their limited remaining funds, perhaps Hairston?

tav1
07-12-2008, 07:02 PM
Just curious....could the Spurs sign and trade Finley on a heavily front loaded multi-year deal that wasn't definite after year 1. This, Bonner and grab bag of picks is probably the only legit shot, and it's not really that legit.

tav1
07-12-2008, 07:03 PM
If the Spurs are unable to find another wing, with their limited remaining funds, perhaps Hairston?

There will be wings available in time. Patience.

CubanMustGo
07-12-2008, 07:05 PM
OP is in the 'needs to get a clue' sweepstakes

SPURSGOAT
07-12-2008, 07:11 PM
OP is in the 'needs to get a clue' sweepstakes

No kidding... he is posting garbage. He should know, as any Spurs fan should, that we have NO chance at getting Artest.

SenorSpur
07-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Just curious....could the Spurs sign and trade Finley on a heavily front loaded multi-year deal that wasn't definite after year 1. This, Bonner and grab bag of picks is probably the only legit shot, and it's not really that legit.

For the benefit of everyone concerned, let's hope Finley has played his last game as a Spur.

jay014
07-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Bowen, Bonner for Artest.

tmtcsc
07-12-2008, 08:46 PM
lil bit, lil bit :lol

nah, you insulted him a lil bit.

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/WanadooFilms/Misdaad/GoodJimmy2.jpg

xtremesteven33
07-12-2008, 09:47 PM
I have no update as yet on the one-sided Lakers-Kings talks reported on Thursday, but keep an eye on Ronny Turiaf's situation while the waiting game continues.

The Lakers forward has accepted a four-year, $17 million offer sheet from Golden State and the Lakers have seven days to match it. It seems inconceivable that they will and it's to the Kings' advantage if they don't.

Artest Watch

If they are to convince the Lakers to take back forward Kenny Thomas in a deal in which Artest would be LA-bound and Lamar Odom would come to Sacramento, they need Turiaf to head for the Bay Area. The Lakers are already near the luxury tax and not looking to go any further, and they may buy into the logic that Thomas - who turns 31 on July 25 - could provide quality defensive-minded minutes off the bench just like Turiaf did.

With the chance to get out of Sacramento and his invisible existence, Thomas may even do a few dances courtside like the jovial Turiaf has been known for. Thomas is owed approximately $18 over the next two seasons, so the lump sum is about equal with Turiaf's offer sheet (albeit in two less seasons). It's the price of doing business if they want to acquire the underpaid Artest ($7.4 million).

Meanwhile, the many who can't envision a Lakers-Kings blockbuster trade of any kind have a valid point. It would go against the NBA grain, but it should be said that any and all theories that the Maloofs simply wouldn't let it happen couldn't be further from the truth. They will pull the trigger if they get what they want.

If not, they'll hope to make something happen with someone else. Among the teams I've been told to keep a serious eye on in the Artest sweepstakes: Dallas, Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and maybe even Charlotte. I often wonder about Toronto as well, but have yet to hear anything substantial on that front.

* As a quick sidenote, Artest continues to routinely go on the air with KHTK's Carmichael Dave.
The latest from the Ron-Ron show: he's decided to change his name. OK, so technically he wants to go by his middle name of William. The thinking? Since Ron Artest is back to getting so much negative media coverage, maybe going by Bill - as he requested to be called - could give him a fresh start. Never a dull moment... - Sam Amick

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013818.html

Sigz
07-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Fuck this... Artest won't be a Spur.

duncan228
07-12-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013818.html

This is the same blog that started the thread...Or am I missing something?

xtremesteven33
07-12-2008, 10:02 PM
This is the same blog that started the thread...Or am I missing something?

oh crap....haha.

i didnt read the post and i just assumed it was the persons opinion.

i didnt see a link posted in the original and i heard KABB talk about it so i decided to look it up.

mystargtr34
07-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Id love Artest on this team.... but its not going to happen.

RON ARTEST
07-13-2008, 01:38 AM
Sweepstakes? Lol Sam Amick Is acting like these are Kobe Trade rumors, I believe teams want Bill Artest But i highly doubt we can get anything better than Odom and a filler.

AC#21_TD ERA
07-13-2008, 03:48 AM
The Spurs FO wont make a run at Artest because there fukin pussies. If they didn't even take the risk of trying to sign JR Smith what makes you think they willl to trade for the Ron Ron. Lets get serious here the Spurs never go for the big trades. THEY ARE A BUNCH OF PUSSIES! FIRE RC PUSSYFORD!

anakha
07-13-2008, 04:08 AM
The Spurs FO wont make a run at Artest because there fukin pussies. If they didn't even take the risk of trying to sign JR Smith what makes you think they willl to trade for the Ron Ron. Lets get serious here the Spurs never go for the big trades. THEY ARE A BUNCH OF PUSSIES! FIRE RC PUSSYFORD!

I thought you said you were done with the Spurs.

iggypop123
07-13-2008, 04:11 AM
Sweepstakes? Lol Sam Amick Is acting like these are Kobe Trade rumors, I believe teams want Bill Artest But i highly doubt we can get anything better than Odom and a filler.

lets get this deal done already so this summer doesnt become more boring. for me personally no rumors and call of duty 4 nearing its death has become my summer of boredom

AC#21_TD ERA
07-13-2008, 04:13 AM
I thought you said you were done with the Spurs.

I never said i was done with the Spurs. IM NOT A QUITER. All i said was that if the Spurs dont get Jr Smith then put a fork in them. That doesnt mean im done with them. It simply means they wont win it next season.

TheMadHatter
07-13-2008, 04:14 AM
Who exactly are the Spurs going to trade for Artest?

anakha
07-13-2008, 04:28 AM
they wont win it next season.

Alright, Nostra-dumbass. You've made your prediction. No need to bitch about your frustrated mancrush on JR Smith in threads not even related to him.

AC#21_TD ERA
07-13-2008, 04:47 AM
Alright, Nostra-dumbass. You've made your prediction. No need to bitch about your frustrated mancrush on JR Smith in threads not even related to him.

Shut the F*** up. I think its time you got your head out of Bufords ass and looked at the big picture that we needed a 4th option to get our title back. OH WAIT I FORGOT YOUR HEAD IS SO FAR UP HIS ASS YOU CAN'T SEE THE BIG PICTURE. FUKIN SUCK UP!

anakha
07-13-2008, 04:58 AM
Shut the F*** up. I think its time you got your head out of Bufords ass and looked at the big picture that we needed a 4th option to get our title back. OH WAIT I FORGOT YOUR HEAD IS SO FAR UP HIS ASS YOU CAN'T SEE THE BIG PICTURE. FUKIN SUCK UP!

Please, show me where I've praised the FO for any of their offseason acquisitions. At least when you find some free time in between your JR Smith fellatio sessions.

TJastal
07-13-2008, 06:52 AM
Personally, even aside from the mental aspects, I think Artest's game is overrated, I'd love to see the lakers give Odom away for this nutcase

Luke Skywalker
07-13-2008, 03:36 PM
I would like2 see artest come to the spurs, i think ther are too many team players and vets for him to screw up like he has in his career. tim and pop wouldnt let it happen

bdictjames
07-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Wishful thinking by Spurs fans again.

coopdogg3
07-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Wishful thinking by Spurs fans again.

Replace "wishful" with "nightmare" and that's what I think about Artest on the Spurs.

Tully365
07-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Nostra-dumbass... thanks for the laugh-- never heard that one before. I'll be using that at work this week for sure,

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2008, 04:21 PM

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/Mr_Bottomtooth/seizurebig.gif

rascal
07-13-2008, 08:37 PM
I never said i was done with the Spurs. IM NOT A QUITER. All i said was that if the Spurs dont get Jr Smith then put a fork in them. That doesnt mean im done with them. It simply means they wont win it next season.

I agree with you. They needed an impact reliable scorer and did not get one as of yet.
They did get younger but that was a given that was going to happen.

As the team is now they will be in the middle of the playoff pack in the western conference. There is still some time this summer to make a move or two so lets see if they can pull something off to get an impact player but the door is closing on that happening.