PDA

View Full Version : David Lee

Biggems
07-13-2008, 12:04 AM
With the Knicks being so far over the tax threshold, would it be feasible to use our Beno exception to get David Lee.

The move would subtract 1.8 million from their payroll and it would add the money from the Beno exception. Basically, it would be just under a $4 million gain for the Knicks.

Lee has no outside game whatsoever, but he is a solid inside scorer, FT shooter, and rebounder. He isn't afraid to do the dirty work inside. He is the type of player we need in the middle.

I'm just not sure the Knicks would part with him. But I will remain hopeful for the remainder of the offseason.

Big P
07-13-2008, 12:12 AM
no

Biggems
07-13-2008, 12:13 AM
why not?

knee-knee-3
07-13-2008, 12:18 AM
unrealistic?

angelbelow
07-13-2008, 12:20 AM
i dont think its a bad idea. lee is a hustle/passion player. hes one of the bright spots on that knicks team. if the knicks are that stupid i say bring him in.

timvp
07-13-2008, 12:22 AM
The trade exception is large enough to take on Lee's contract but Lee is too good for anything the Spurs have to offer. San Antonio would have to offer something like Mahinmi and a future first rounder for the Knicks to even pick up the phone.

Biggems
07-13-2008, 12:23 AM
unrealistic?

unrealistic?

in my 30 years of watching the NBA, I have learned that nothing is unrealistic with regards to the Association.

The am just uncertain as to how much the Knicks value Lee in their future. If they see him as part of their plans...then this trade is definitely a no go. However, if they see themselves moving in a totally different direction, I can see this as a feasible trade for them and for us.

Tully365
07-13-2008, 12:26 AM
How about trading the Alamo for the Chrysler Building?

I'm going to start counting to see how long it is before someone suggests Bonner for Lee...

Biggems
07-13-2008, 12:27 AM
How about trading the Alamo for the Chrysler Building?

I'm going to start counting to see how long it is before someone suggests Bonner for Lee...

hahaha....at least I didn't come with some silly scenario like that.

BTW....if you asked me if Memphis would trade Pau Gasol for Kwame, Crittenton, Marc Gasol, and a draft pick....I would have said HELL NO....but it happened.

texbumTHElife
07-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Wait, when did the Knicks begin to care about being over the lux-tax threshold? Havent they been over it for years (since Zeke)?

picnroll
07-13-2008, 12:30 AM

BTW....if you asked me if Memphis would trade Pau Gasol for Kwame, Crittenton, Marc Gasol, and a draft pick....I would have said HELL NO....but it happened.
Yeah but, unlike West and the Grizzlies, Buford doesn't act as an advisor for the Knicks.

Biggems
07-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Wait, when did the Knicks begin to care about being over the lux-tax threshold? Havent they been over it for years (since Zeke)?

Walsh is running the show now. I figured he may be trying to trim the budget....

BTW, isn't it dollar for dollar when u are over the threshold? if so, then this move actually saves the Knicks $7.2 million dollars.

Tully365
07-13-2008, 12:40 AM

That's true! That's the problem with a trade like that-- it makes all the crazy trade propositions seem a little more plausible, and keeps the crazies proposing them. Come to think of it, the Chrysler building would stick out a little in San Antonio...

ss1986v2
07-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Walsh is running the show now. I figured he may be trying to trim the budget...
yes, but you do that by getting rid of your bad/expensive players, not your cheap/good players.

knee-knee-3
07-13-2008, 12:43 AM
ain't gonna happen

rapliketp
07-13-2008, 12:44 AM
If any team wants to trade for Lee they'll have to take on either Jared Jeffries, or James Jones or some other bad contract in the process.

mystargtr34
07-13-2008, 12:45 AM
That wouldnt be close to tempting Walsh. Lee is a quality NBA players, you dont acquire those guys with TE's and throw ins

Biggems
07-13-2008, 12:47 AM
If any team wants to trade for Lee they'll have to take on either Jared Jeffries, or James Jones or some other bad contract in the process.

and that was something in the back of my mind....would we have to get stuck with a bad contract.....and the answer is NO TRADE. Pop and RC want all the free money they can muster for that 2010 run.

too bad Walsh doesn't owe Pop or RC any favors.....

I would say if we cant get Lee, how about Balkman.....but I prefer my SFs to be able to make outside shots and he cant shoot.

rapliketp
07-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Shawne Williams would be an interesting prospect. He plays SF & PF. Bird is trying to avoid becoming the new Jailblazers. Williams has had some bad publicity off the court.

The talent is there. It would be a good gamble for the Spurs if they can get him for a TE & 2nd round pick at most. If he misbehaves then just don't pick up his team option in the next season.

MaNu4Tres
07-13-2008, 01:07 AM
Why would you try to cut payroll by trading the guy with the most value for the price? Pure stupidity

sabar
07-13-2008, 01:31 AM
They won't give him up. Next.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
07-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Since Lee is the only one on the team with any actual trade value, Knicks may be willing to let him go

MemphisSpursFan
07-13-2008, 02:29 AM
Unrealistic??? How about Gasol for .....

AusSpursFan
07-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Would be more than happy for the FO to pursue him, but don't think that is enough to get the job done. Do we have the talent they value? Once again probably wont achieve a favourable result, but throw in a first round draft pick and maybe that would get the job done. Still not keen to give up a first rounder, even though I rate Lee.

wijayas
07-13-2008, 03:42 AM
If we can, why not? But I don't think we are going to get David Lee. No more Zeke in Knicks!!!

Obstructed_View
07-13-2008, 03:44 AM
Unrealistic??? How about Gasol for .....

This suggestion is like Gasol for Kwame straight up.

spurman20
07-13-2008, 01:55 PM
The knicks want to dump this guy, remember they tried to give Lee and thier 5th pick and one other player for almost nothing to the Griz just to shed payroll. He does not fit the system in Ny and will not be given an extention. We should go after him.

TJastal
07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
The knicks want to dump this guy, remember they tried to give Lee and thier 5th pick and one other player for almost nothing to the Griz just to shed payroll. He does not fit the system in Ny and will not be given an extention. We should go after him.

According to what I'm looking at, the guy made 990K last year, not bad for a guy who averaged 11 and 9. I'm sure he was probably included in that offer as bait to take the other (undesirable) salary, so doubt they gonna just hand him over.

I'd trade Bonner for him straight up, if they wanted though :toast

SenorSpur
07-13-2008, 02:10 PM
The trade exception is large enough to take on Lee's contract but Lee is too good for anything the Spurs have to offer. San Antonio would have to offer something like Mahinmi and a future first rounder for the Knicks to even pick up the phone.

Looks like Isiah left the building much too soon for all of us. Perhaps we could've pulled a Houston Rockets-type train robbery.

spurman20
07-13-2008, 02:19 PM
According to what I'm looking at, the guy made 990K last year, not bad for a guy who averaged 11 and 9. I'm sure he was probably included in that offer as bait to take the other (undesirable) salary, so doubt they gonna just hand him over.

I'd trade Bonner for him straight up, if they wanted though :toast

His extention is comming up and they are tryn to clean up the roster for 2010. Coach has already said he will not work in his system, you must be able to shoot form the wing in that system and Lee cant do that. Im sure he could be had for a future pick. Dont think they would take back salary. I dont think its a likely deal but one worth exploring.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:22 PM
He would be a nice piece to the puzzle, but he does have value around the league, so I do not know if we have the pieces to get him...

spurman20
07-13-2008, 02:25 PM
He would be a nice piece to the puzzle, but he does have value around the league, so I do not know if we have the pieces to get him...

I think he has great value too but story out of new york stated walsh was willing to take as little as a future second rounder for him during the draft and no one bit. I dont understand that. But espn has reported that he and Steph will be moved by mid season at the latest.

angelbelow
07-13-2008, 02:36 PM
if we got him, we could borrow him for a year and be forced to let him walk to save for 2010.

pad300
07-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I think he has great value too but story out of new york stated walsh was willing to take as little as a future second rounder for him during the draft and no one bit. I dont understand that. But espn has reported that he and Steph will be moved by mid season at the latest.

Put up a link backing this for a future 2nd rounder or shut up...

I will admit, if that is what they want, we should be all over it. Hell, give them 2 future 2nds...

Biggems
07-13-2008, 03:17 PM

thats what I am saying.......they dont want him. we could use him. We give the knicks 1.8 million so they can remove 1.8 million and essentially save them 7.2 million in money. So they get the monetary savings and we get a nice young F who can come in for Duncan, clean up the glass, and be a legit inside scoring option.

Also, if we are able to get him, we hand him over to Chip and get him a nice, consistent mid-range jumper.

ShoogarBear
07-13-2008, 03:19 PM
If D'Antoni has considerable input into personnel, I could easily see the Knicks getting rid of Lee, possibly for considerably lesser value if it helps them with the cap.

I still don't see the Spurs having anything they'd be interested in.

Steve-O-Matic
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Lee also wants a long-term contract, which the Spurs obviously are not going to provide.

Biggems
07-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Lee also wants a long-term contract, which the Spurs obviously are not going to provide.

who cares.......he has two years left on his deal. we get two years out of him to build his stock.....then we let him walk, if we are not happy with his offensive progress.

pad300
07-13-2008, 03:35 PM
who cares.......he has two years left on his deal. we get two years out of him to build his stock.....then we let him walk, if we are not happy with his offensive progress.

Heck, if there are 2 years left, he's expiring in the summer of 2010, just in time for our rebuilding plans. At that point, if he's been good to us, keep him using Bird rights...

Steve-O-Matic
07-13-2008, 03:42 PM

Wrong, he has one year left on his current deal. Which means if we acquired him, he'd be a one-and-done in SA. Not gonna happen.

coopdogg3
07-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Wrong, he has one year left on his current deal. Which means if we acquired him, he'd be a one-and-done in SA. Not gonna happen.

SA would have his Bird Rights which could be used in a sign-and-trade. Or they could just sign him and to heck with the 2010 Plan. David Lee would be worth blowing up the "2010 Plan" IMO. But it's still not gonna happen.

Biggems
07-13-2008, 03:56 PM
according to the salary chart I saw, he was on the Knicks payroll for this upcoming season and the next. He makes 1.8 next year and then has a 2.7 million qualifying offer for the following season.

Big P
07-13-2008, 05:26 PM
according to the salary chart I saw, he was on the Knicks payroll for this upcoming season and the next. He makes 1.8 next year and then has a 2.7 million qualifying offer for the following season.

L-E-T I-T G-O

Biggems
07-13-2008, 05:29 PM
L-E-T I-T G-O

M-A-K-E M-E

spurman20
07-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Put up a link backing this for a future 2nd rounder or shut up...

I will admit, if that is what they want, we should be all over it. Hell, give them 2 future 2nds...

Dude did you watch the draft? They tried to give him away to the griz for nothing in return and they didnt want him. Just like Phil just gave Carney and a first round pick to Minn for nothing just to clear cap room. Dont ask me why they wanna get rid of him so bad but Walsh is gonna run a tighter ship and watch how much money they spend in the future.

Obstructed_View
07-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Dude did you watch the draft? They tried to give him away to the griz for nothing in return and they didnt want him. Just like Phil just gave Carney and a first round pick to Minn for nothing just to clear cap room. Dont ask me why they wanna get rid of him so bad but Walsh is gonna run a tighter ship and watch how much money they spend in the future.

Philly cleared up cap space to get Elton Brand. If the Knicks were offering him on draft night, it was to get something big that they desperately wanted, to take something away from Memphis or it was packaged with something nobody else wanted. Either way, the draft is over, so they aren't just going to offer him for nothing now.

Part of watching how much money you spend is managing assets, both incoming and outgoing. The Knicks have been the drunk girl passed out in the NBA frathouse for a long time. It was fun while it lasted, but I assure you that those days are over.

SenorSpur
07-14-2008, 05:18 AM

Interesting tidbit on David Lee

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53570/20080714/agent_told_memphis_not_to_trade_for_knicks_lee/

Agent Told Memphis Not To Trade For Knicks' Lee?

David Lee is nervous that his time in New York may be coming to an end, but he does understand it is a business.

According to the New York Post, after meeting with coach Mike D'Antoni for lunch, Lee found out the reason his name keeps appearing in rumors is because the Knicks are trying to move Zach Randolph, and Lee would be included to try to entice another team into taking Randolph's large contract off the Knicks' hands.

Before the NBA Draft Lee was close to being dealt to Memphis in a trade which would have landed New York the Grizzlies' first round pick, #5 overall.

Lee did not deny his agent, Mark Bartlestein, before the draft advised Memphis not to trade for him because Lee would never sign a long-term contract with the Grizzlies.

"I don't know what happened on his end," Lee said. "His job is to represent his players."

pad300
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Interesting tidbit on David Lee

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53570/20080714/agent_told_memphis_not_to_trade_for_knicks_lee/

Agent Told Memphis Not To Trade For Knicks' Lee?

David Lee is nervous that his time in New York may be coming to an end, but he does understand it is a business.

According to the New York Post, after meeting with coach Mike D'Antoni for lunch, Lee found out the reason his name keeps appearing in rumors is because the Knicks are trying to move Zach Randolph, and Lee would be included to try to entice another team into taking Randolph's large contract off the Knicks' hands.

Before the NBA Draft Lee was close to being dealt to Memphis in a trade which would have landed New York the Grizzlies' first round pick, #5 overall.

Lee did not deny his agent, Mark Bartlestein, before the draft advised Memphis not to trade for him because Lee would never sign a long-term contract with the Grizzlies.

"I don't know what happened on his end," Lee said. "His job is to represent his players."

#5 Overall hey. Does that sound like a future 2nd rounder to you Spurman20? Thats a much closer to fair valuation of Mr. Lee...No, I don't think you are getting him out of New York with a future 2nd or two.

Brox6
07-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Spurs can't afford him.

tav1
07-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I agree with all the naysayers above, and I'll add this. In order to get Lee, the Spurs would probably have to take back Curry (or Richardson) as part of the package. We don't have the money in contracts to make that work, and we don't have the future cap space to keep it working. If we get a Knick with the trade exception, it'll be Balkman or Chandler. And even that is doubtful.

spurman20
07-14-2008, 04:12 PM
#5 Overall hey. Does that sound like a future 2nd rounder to you Spurman20? Thats a much closer to fair valuation of Mr. Lee...No, I don't think you are getting him out of New York with a future 2nd or two.

The Knicks are tryn to clear cap room now! NO one is stupid enough to believe Lee was worth the 5th pick in the draft. The Griz wanted NY to take the contract of Brian Cardnal. That was the reason the Knicks nixed the deal. Latest rumor I have heard is him going to the Clips for a future second rounder and D Jordan. That would be 2 seconds for Lee!:ihit