PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Devin Brown

MannyIsGod
07-13-2008, 01:39 AM
I don't think its all that likely, but I have seen a few news reports that he's had contact with the Spurs about a possible contract offer. He was on KSAT today since he's in town for his basketball camp and he mentioned a possible return.

I know the Spurs had issues with his work ethic in the past but I wonder if they would take a vet min flyer on him. I'd rather have him than Finley, but its close.

Buddy Holly
07-13-2008, 01:43 AM
Since he was in town?

Dude lives here.

I'm not too sure about him though.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2008, 01:43 AM
I am guessing if the Spurs check around with other teams and he's changed his practice habits, then they might take a chance. I'm sure they'll look at some other guys first. I wouldn't mind Devin back, though I'd prefer someone a little taller.

lefty
07-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Some reactions here :

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100477

AusSpursFan
07-13-2008, 02:48 AM
we have SG locked up with Ginobili, Mason and George Hill. Is Brown big enough to play SF?

MannyIsGod
07-13-2008, 02:51 AM
One reason Pop might bring Finley back is for a small ball PF. Now, everyone here and I know that Finley is horrible in that position but Pop loves playing him there. Devin Brown was a better small ball PF than Finley ever was.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2008, 02:51 AM
we have SG locked up with Ginobili, Mason and George Hill. Is Brown big enough to play SF?

SG/SF are virtually identical in the Spurs system.

AusSpursFan
07-13-2008, 03:13 AM
Used to like Devin Brown and wouldn't be adverse to the idea, but would prefer to see a younger player in there. Even though he is restricted someone like a C J Miles would fit the bill.

TJastal
07-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Finley, I can possibly see in a small ball "all shooter" lineup, at least he has some weight to at least provide an obstacle to a 240+ PF.. Devin Brown would be like paperweight, doubt that'd work.

Sissiborgo
07-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Devin Brown aint nothing!

SenorSpur
07-13-2008, 08:23 AM

Incorrect. Hill is and will be the backup PG. Pop has all but ordained him so on draft night. Could he spend some time at SG in certain stretches? Of course, However, he's simply not tall enough or big enough to warrant that being his primary position. Hence, the Spurs do have need for wing player.

oligarchy
07-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Incorrect. Mason is and will be the backup PG. Pop has all but ordained him so on draft night. Could he spend some time at SG in certain stretches? Of course, However, he's simply not tall enough or big enough to warrant that being his primary position. Hence, the Spurs do have need for wing player.

I think you mean Hill, but yes, he's supposed to be worked in as a backup pg.

picnroll
07-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Devin has had a difficult time getting minutes with lesser teams, even ones with a void of talent at his position like Utah. Pass.

Buddy Holly
07-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Incorrect. Mason is and will be the backup PG. Pop has all but ordained him so on draft night. Could he spend some time at SG in certain stretches? Of course, However, he's simply not tall enough or big enough to warrant that being his primary position. Hence, the Spurs do have need for wing player.

Mason is the backup point? I'll say you messed up there.

djohn14
07-13-2008, 09:41 AM
The reason Brown didnt play much during the playoffs and probably wont return to Cleveland is because he and Coach Mike Brown got into an argument and Devin no showed practice the next day.

Biggems
07-13-2008, 10:31 AM
I dont want Devin back. He had his time here and he got his ring. He got to play the hometown hero role and didn't appreciate it. He is a lot older now and still hasn't mastered his offensive game. So I say we need to look at a totally different direction.

Brutalis
07-13-2008, 10:35 AM
He underachieves.. or he just ain't that good. Every time I watch him play it's like he's trying too hard or just lacks something.

exstatic
07-13-2008, 12:37 PM
The reason Brown didnt play much during the playoffs and probably wont return to Cleveland is because he and Coach Mike Brown got into an argument and Devin no showed practice the next day.

I'm sure the Spurs have heard this through the grapevine already. Sound like he hasn't changed a bit. Too bad. He's got talent, but if you don't have your head screwed on straight by 29, it's probably never going to happen. I'm usually willing to give much younger players a break, because as a male, your frontal cortex (judgment, restraint) doesn't finish developing until age 25, the reason your car insurance rates drop precipitously at that age. Devin is WAY past that point.

SenorSpur
07-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Who does this guy think he is, LeBron James? Hell, he should be grateful that Brown gave him a 2nd opportunity.

If he's not careful, he gonna find himself plying his trade in Greece, Lebanon or some other far away place.

exstatic
07-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Who does this guy think he is, LeBron James? Hell, he should be grateful that Brown gave him a 2nd opportunity.

If he's not careful, he gonna find himself plying his trade in Greece, Lebanon or some other far away place.

He's played for Denver before, and they don't seem at all particular about minor to mid range character or work ethic issues. They're looking to put together a cheap roster. He might be a fit.

whottt
07-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Brown > Finley

He shoots well against the Lakers(or at least he does when we are being blow out) and that's actually a pretty rare skill among Spurs players...and he defends Dirk pretty well.

I'd much rather have Devin than Finley...

whottt
07-13-2008, 12:48 PM
I do remember Pop saying Devin wouldn't play for the Spurs again, a couple of years ago though. Somehow...I don't think getting into an argument with Mike Brown increased his chances...

DMX7
07-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Used to like Devin Brown and wouldn't be adverse to the idea, but would prefer to see a younger player in there. Even though he is restricted someone like a C J Miles would fit the bill.

He's not exactly Michael Finley's age. I think he's just in his later 20's.

exstatic
07-13-2008, 01:00 PM
He's not exactly Michael Finley's age. I think he's just in his later 20's.

He's 29, and will turn 30 by the end of the year.

SenorSpur
07-13-2008, 01:00 PM
I think you mean Hill, but yes, he's supposed to be worked in as a backup pg.

Thank you

T Park
07-13-2008, 01:37 PM
No way no how is Devin Brown playing for the Spurs ever again.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Finley, I can possibly see in a small ball "all shooter" lineup, at least he has some weight to at least provide an obstacle to a 240+ PF.. Devin Brown would be like paperweight, doubt that'd work.

Devin Brown is FAR better in a small ball lineup than Finley ever has been. He's a better defender and a better rebounder. Its not even close.

exstatic
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I see tons of talent in Devin, but I see zero chance of the Spurs bringing back someone still immature enough to fight with his coaches.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2008, 04:23 PM
claI agree with you Ex. If that situation occured in Cleaveland then there is no way he's coming back.

Manu-of-steel
07-13-2008, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=exstatic;2660599]I'm sure the Spurs have heard this through the grapevine already. Sound like he hasn't changed a bit. Too bad. He's got talent, but if you don't have your head screwed on straight by 29, it's probably never going to happen. I'm usually willing to give much younger players a break, because as a male, your frontal cortex (judgment, restraint) doesn't finish developing until age 25, the reason your car insurance rates drop precipitously at that age. Devin is WAY past that point.[/QUOTE i have to disagree with this phrase, because until now, nobody can say for certain that our brain stops developing once you reach this or that age

exstatic
07-13-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm sure the Spurs have heard this through the grapevine already. Sound like he hasn't changed a bit. Too bad. He's got talent, but if you don't have your head screwed on straight by 29, it's probably never going to happen. I'm usually willing to give much younger players a break, because as a male, your frontal cortex (judgment, restraint) doesn't finish developing until age 25, the reason your car insurance rates drop precipitously at that age. Devin is WAY past that point. i have to disagree with this phrase, because until now, nobody can say for certain that our brain stops developing once you reach this or that age

Well, actually, you can't say anything "for certain" other than each person that is born is going to die. However, if you understand the concept of a bell curve from a statistical standpoint, my statement makes sense. Devin is either one of the extreme late developers (<1%), or the more extremely rare group that never completes the development and obtains adult governance of their emotions. Either of those states will be enough to keep him off the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 10:46 PM
We don't need another Udoka.

mrspurs
07-14-2008, 07:17 AM
I dont want Devin back. He had his time here and he got his ring. He got to play the hometown hero role and didn't appreciate it. He is a lot older now and still hasn't mastered his offensive game. So I say we need to look at a totally different direction.

agreed devin never got any better.....he peaked 2 seasons ago, now he would be a distraction....

urunobili
07-21-2008, 06:23 PM
a friend in San Antonio with ties with some members of the Spurs organization told me today they were exploring the possibility of having Devin back.. it does make sense for the cheap amount he could be had... can someone confirm this? bump...

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Eh.

I'll pass. Like the guy. But he's really not that much of a upgrade.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2008, 11:45 PM
We don't need another Udoka.

Since when does Devin play tough D?

wisnub
07-22-2008, 01:05 AM
I like him..better than no backup

ChumpDumper
07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
It's true we need somebody else. I guess I'm just looking for more size or scoring.

T Park
07-22-2008, 12:15 PM
With who's left. He would probably be one of the better ones.

I just still don't see it. I think he burned too many bridges.

hater
07-22-2008, 12:16 PM
I thought we were trying to get "better"

Bartleby
07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
I'd rather see the Spurs start the season with an open roster space or pick up somebody from the D-league.

Spurs Brazil
07-26-2008, 06:40 AM
Looking for new home
Among the teams showing interest in former Cavs guard Devin Brown are Dallas, New Orleans, Denver and Atlanta. To a lesser extent, both Miami and Washington have made contact with Brown's representatives.
Brown played a team-high 78 games for the Cavs last year, which included 20 starts. He averaged 7.5 points.

http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19872703&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

urunobili
07-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Looking for new home
Among the teams showing interest in former Cavs guard Devin Brown are Dallas, New Orleans, Denver and Atlanta. To a lesser extent, both Miami and Washington have made contact with Brown's representatives.
Brown played a team-high 78 games for the Cavs last year, which included 20 starts. He averaged 7.5 points.

http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19872703&BRD=1698&PAG=461&dept_id=21848&rfi=6

PLz not to Dallas...

wildbill2u
07-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Why this looks like a great movie script:

Hometown college star fulfills lifetime dream by breaking into pro basketball with his hometown team. Our hero falls from grace by partying too hearty and develops a problem about what it takes to be a professional. Hero has an injury which might threaten his career. Hero is let go by hometown team. Catches on with a series of teams whose coaches all have problems with his attitude. Hero returns to hometown team to end his rejuvenated career in a blaze of glory

But this is fiction folks, especially the last part.

T Park
07-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Theres a reason he doesn't go back to teams that had him the year before.

Cleveland could still use scoring help. Yet, they aren't even showing interest in him returning.

That, IMO, should be your red flag.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
07-26-2008, 12:31 PM
I've always wondered why he's never gotten a multi year deal

Kindergarten Cop
07-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Cleveland could still use scoring help. Yet, they aren't even showing interest in him returning.

You may be right, but if that was the absolute case would the Cavs have signed him in the first place considering that their FO had a history with him in San Antonio?

exstatic
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
I've always wondered why he's never gotten a multi year deal

Spurs gave him one, and I think Utah's contract was multi-year but only partially guaranteed for year two. They traded him to someone (GS?) who cut him that summer, and he hooked on with New Orleans.

I get your point, though. He does seem to wear out his welcome. Not a good trait for someone who is basically an NBA journeyman.

DROB4EVER
07-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Only if we dont sign Fin would I say take a shot at this guy. Im not sure he would give us much more than Udoka without the D.

SpursDancer
07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Devon was at UTSA when I was there. Really nice guy and a great player.

coopdogg3
07-27-2008, 06:33 PM

And don't forget his Utah tenure before that. He signed a cheap 2-year deal with the 2nd year being a team option. They didn't pick it up. And at that time, they had a huge gaping hole at SG.

Don't know what it is about this guy, but he just doesn't fit wherever he goes.

T Park
07-27-2008, 06:35 PM

Except his name is Devin.

SpursDancer
07-27-2008, 06:40 PM
shoot me its pronounced the same way.

ducks
07-27-2008, 06:41 PM
did he come to practice late there to

Fingaroll44
07-28-2008, 04:06 PM

w/ the way of the euro...might not be all bad....

I. Hustle
07-28-2008, 04:10 PM
I think he is a perfect fit and would be totally excited. With his experience especially at the SBC center he would easily EASILY replace the last towel boy. I mean did you see that TB last season? He kept leaving spots wet and the players were slipping. With Devin I know he would mop up everything just right and no one would slip and fall. :tu

nkdlunch
07-28-2008, 04:11 PM
no

Sissiborgo
07-30-2008, 06:53 PM
No not again i mean he's not a spur!...