PDA

View Full Version : Official Kurt Thomas Watch Thread

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 01:59 PM
We are now 5 days into free agency and have not heard anything about KT. I wanted to start a thread where any and all new information regarding KT can be posted. I know we have some threads assuming what the Spurs might do if we don't sign KT, and that can be included to, but this is more for current updates and articles...

We need KT back or are big man situation will be compromised...

Bruno
07-13-2008, 02:04 PM
http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&tab=wn&ned=us&scoring=n&q=%22kurt+thomas%22&btnG=Search

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Everyone can google, which I have, just trying to get a thread officially dedicated to our most important Free Agent. Get peoples takes on the articles along with compiling the articles...

Bruno
07-13-2008, 02:11 PM
We are now 5 days into free agency and have not heard anything about KT.

Everyone can google, which I have

:downspin:

benefactor
07-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Lol...talk about a pitiful source for rumors....

Yardbarker (http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Rumors_and_Updates_Marbury_and_Artest_Edition/289758)

ESPN reports that there is little chance of the Lakers matching the offer sheet that Ronny Turiaf received from Golden State. Word is that they will pursue the trade with the Kings that could bring Kurt Thomas and Bill Artest (see above) to the Lakers in return for LaMar Odom.

So Kurt now plays for the Kings and I guess thats Ron's brother?

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Whats your point Bruno? What is the difference between you posting a thread about a free agent (Yakhouba Diawara) when the information on him can just be searched on google? I am looking for a centralized thread with "late breaking news" or "updates" that might not be found through google. That is why there is a SpursTalk, if everyone just used google, then there would be no need.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Lol...talk about a pitiful source for rumors....

Yardbarker (http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/Rumors_and_Updates_Marbury_and_Artest_Edition/289758)

So Kurt now plays for the Kings and I guess thats Ron's brother?

In a story yesterday, Ron Artest said he would like to change his name to his middle name (William) and would like to be called Bill.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:18 PM
We are now 5 days into free agency and have not heard anything about KT.

That is why the thread is Kurt Thomas WATCH...

MannyIsGod
07-13-2008, 02:18 PM
lol....

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Manny my friend, I know you feel the same way about Kurt as I do...this is not a panic thread, just a monitor thread.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 02:21 PM
If had to guess, I'd say Rolex.

Bruno
07-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Whats your point Bruno? What is the difference between you posting a thread about a free agent (Yakhouba Diawara) when the information on him can just be searched on google? I am looking for a centralized thread with "late breaking news" or "updates" that might not be found through google. That is why there is a SpursTalk, if everyone just used google, then there would be no need.

:rolleyes

I'm sure RC Buford will come in this thread and post some "late breaking news"...

Now the difference with the thread I started is that I bring some piece of info about Diawara in this thread while you just make "Official Kurt Thomas Watch Thread" with nothing in it while a thread about Kurt Thomas still existed : http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98559

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:23 PM
If had to guess, I'd say Rolex.

Was waiting for the person with the worst sense of humor to make that joke, congrats Chump "George Lopez" Dumper...

timvp
07-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Whats your point Bruno? What is the difference between you posting a thread about a free agent (Yakhouba Diawara) when the information on him can just be searched on google? I am looking for a centralized thread with "late breaking news" or "updates" that might not be found through google. That is why there is a SpursTalk, if everyone just used google, then there would be no need.You sure go to the "that's why there is a SpursTalk" line for someone who is new to the board. My advice to you would be to not get so emotional whenever anyone directs a comment toward you.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:27 PM
:rolleyes

I'm sure RC Buford will come in this thread and post some "late breaking news"...

Now the difference with the thread I started is that I bring some piece of info about Diawara in this thread while you just make "Official Kurt Thomas Watch Thread" with nothing in it while a thread about Kurt Thomas still existed : http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98559

Laughing my ass off!!! What information, his height/weight and age, ha ha ha...If that is not the most google searched information I do not know what is. Hypocrite.

I could change the thread to "Free Agent: Kurt Thomas" and post his height/weight/age if that will make this thread on par with yours...get real

completely deck
07-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Laughing my ass off!!! What information, his height/weight and age, ha ha ha...If that is not the most google searched information I do not know what is. Hypocrite.

I could change the thread to "Free Agent: Kurt Thomas" and post his height/weight/age if that will make this thread on par with yours...get real

lol, this is true.

Bruno
07-13-2008, 02:32 PM

Check post 2 of the Diawara thread, Genious...

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Was waiting for the person with the worst sense of humor to make that joke, congrats Chump "George Lopez" Dumper...Was waiting for the new drama queen to comment on this. Congrats, DPGDynasty.

I await further comment.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:33 PM
You sure go to the "that's why there is a SpursTalk" line for someone who is new to the board. My advice to you would be to not get so emotional whenever anyone directs a comment toward you.

Am I wrong when I use the statement? Is that not why there is a SpursTalk? If we could all just use google, no one would be here. Why do some keep bringing up the SpursTalk "veteran" thing. This is not a basketball team, it is an on-line forum. Who cares if you have been on for years, all that means is that you are loyal. This is not a job or workplace, there is no need to see how things work and the pecking order of things. All that has to be observed it the etiquette of the site so that you do not violate rules. There is no pecking order, the fact that you have been posting longer means nothing except that you have been loyal to this website which is very good. If I was looking for google items when starting a thread, I would not do it. That is why I come to SpursTalk, to find things and opinions outside of google.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Was waiting for the new drama queen to comment on this. Congrats, DPGDynasty.

I await further comment.

For as much as people say I comment on things when people post, so does everyone. You read as much into my comments as I do yours, which is why you respond, so I guess we are both = with regards to responsibility. I have accepted mine, will you?

timvp
07-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Am I wrong when I use the statement? Is that not why there is a SpursTalk? If we could all just use google, no one would be here. Why do some keep bringing up the SpursTalk "veteran" thing. This is not a basketball team, it is an on-line forum. Who cares if you have been on for years, all that means is that you are loyal. This is not a job or workplace, there is no need to see how things work and the pecking order of things. All that has to be observed it the etiquette of the site so that you do not violate rules. There is no pecking order, the fact that you have been posting longer means nothing except that you have been loyal to this website which is very good. If I was looking for google items when starting a thread, I would not do it. That is why I come to SpursTalk, to find things and opinions outside of google.:lol Alright, explain more why there is a SpursTalk. I'm all ears :tu

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 02:38 PM
For as much as people say I comment on things when people post, so does everyone. You read as much into my comments as I do yours, which is why you respond, so I guess we are both = with regards to responsibility. I have accepted mine, will you?I accept your status as the new drama queen.

Congratulations again.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Check post 2 of the Diawara thread, Genious...

I did, Einstein...It made me laugh even more. The rocky mountain news is one of the first items that come up when you use Google to search any Denver Nugget.
Thanks for the Google information Bruno, "late breaking" stuff...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=Yakhouba+Diawara+gets+no+qualifying+offer&btnG=Search

exstatic
07-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Longines. Kurt seems more "worldly" than your average NBAer.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I accept your status as the new drama queen.

Congratulations again.

Then that would make you drama king...Well at least that answers the "whos the girl in the relationship question"...

People say "your a drama queen because you respond", in their response???

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Then that would make you drama king...Well at least that answers the "whos the girl in the relationship question"...

People say "your a drama queen because you respond", in their response???Hopefully they would say "you're" but I don't get a lot of that. People just call me an asshole.

duncan228
07-13-2008, 02:45 PM
People just call me an asshole.

A pretentious asshole. :lmao

timvp
07-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Then that would make you drama king...Well at least that answers the "whos the girl in the relationship question"...Wait ... you just admitted to being the girl in a relationship with ChumpDumper?

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Wait ... you just admitted to being the girl in a relationship with ChumpDumper?I didn't really want to go there.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:46 PM
:lol Alright, explain more why there is a SpursTalk. I'm all ears :tu

That is not the point, I say that because people lose sight of what this is. You can laugh all you want at me, but I come here to talk Spurs with Spurs fans like myself. Not because I think I am talking to GM's or players. Just average people like myself. No one here gets everything right, but many act like they do. If Kori says something to me, then o.k., she makes the rules and I have to obey if I want to participate. Other than that, everyone is equal to me in terms of stature regardless of how long you have been posting.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 02:47 PM
All I know is if there actually is an official Kurt Thomas watch, TPark already ordered it.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Wait ... you just admitted to being the girl in a relationship with ChumpDumper?

That was the joke, I have a sense of humor about myself. I can laugh at myself.

mrspurs
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
negative reinforcement, i always say is another form of improvement.....you just have to know how, and when, to learn, or teach it....and dont ask mickey mouse

duncan228
07-13-2008, 02:51 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/oddsandends/spurswatch.jpg

T Park
07-13-2008, 02:53 PM
All I know is if there actually is an official Kurt Thomas watch, TPark already ordered it.

:lol

T Park
07-13-2008, 02:53 PM
That is not the point, I say that because people lose sight of what this is. You can laugh all you want at me, but I come here to talk Spurs with Spurs fans like myself. Not because I think I am talking to GM's or players. Just average people like myself. No one here gets everything right, but many act like they do. If Kori says something to me, then o.k., she makes the rules and I have to obey if I want to participate. Other than that, everyone is equal to me in terms of stature regardless of how long you have been posting.

You need to back it down kid a couple notches.

timvp
07-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Alright ... to get this topic back on track ... I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing happens today because it's Sunday. And then I'm going to predict that the Spurs will end up signing Thomas because no other team has made an indication that they are willing to spend a lot of money on him.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Forgive my typo Chump, you are right, you're right, I should not have used your in place of you're. In my haste to reply, I seemed to have forgotten proper English.

Bruno
07-13-2008, 02:56 PM
I did, Einstein...It made me laugh even more. The rocky mountain news is one of the first items that come up when you use Google to search any Denver Nugget.
Thanks for the Google information Bruno, "late breaking" stuff...

You have some serious comprehension troubles.

Anyway, I will stop to post in this thread and hijack the greatness of your "Official Kurt Thomas Watch Thread" thread.

Let's hope that you will learn one day the difference between a discussion thread and a thread where ask people to do some google searches for you.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Hopefully they would say "you're" but I don't get a lot of that. People just call me an asshole.

I don't think you are an asshole. Assholes are clever.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:58 PM
You have some serious comprehension troubles.

Anyway, I will stop to post in this thread and hijack the greatness of your "Official Kurt Thomas Watch Thread" thread.

Let's hope that you will learn one day the difference between a discussion thread and a thread where ask people to do some google searches for you.

OK Bruno, your threads are glorious. Mine suck, but I am learning. Thank you for stepping in and teaching me. I am not posting for greatness, never did I say my thread was great. People always talk out of their asses. If you can find me a post where I said that I will shut up.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Also, please quit using smilies. You are a grown man, it is embarrassing.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Alright ... to get this topic back on track ... I'm going to go out on a limb and say nothing happens today because it's Sunday. And then I'm going to predict that the Spurs will end up signing Thomas because no other team has made an indication that they are willing to spend a lot of money on him.

Thats all I was looking for. We had had some of this conversation in another thread and I wanted to start it in a strictly Kurt Thomas thread. Thats all. But once again I got attacked. I am starting to feel like an abused housewife, and just like many of them, I keep coming back for more.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 03:03 PM

You need to back it down kid a couple notches.

Thanks playa and duly noted.

benefactor
07-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Looks like we have a winner...and...YES...its Capt. Obvious in straight sets folks! Seriously, some of these threads are just too much. Why not wait until we actually hear something?

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Looks like we have a winner...and...YES...its Capt. Obvious in straight sets folks! Seriously, some of these threads are just too much. Why not wait until we actually hear something?

What shall we talk about then, since no news has been out today? It was not meant to be crammed into today, but gradually as things develop. People can post whatever their thoughts are about getting KT, not getting KT, any new updates and guesses.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 03:13 PM
My point was, if no teams have shown interest in KT, then why wait to make him a fair offer when you know you really need him? Why wait and give another team a chance to do something dumb and offer him the full MLE type money. He is a UFA and does not have to give the Spurs a chance to match any offers. Lets just take him off the market then...

timvp
07-13-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't understand even being worried about Thomas right now. The only two teams linked to him are the Lakers and the Heat. The Lakers aren't going to pay $10-12M for him this year (once factoring in the luxury tax hit) for a guy who would probably play about 10-12 minutes per game. The Heat will only offer him a two year deal because they are clearing cap space.

The only way I see Thomas not coming back is if the Spurs don't value him enough to make a competitive offer.

timvp
07-13-2008, 03:17 PM
My point was, if no teams have shown interest in KT, then why wait to make him a fair offer when you know you really need him? Why wait and give another team a chance to do something dumb and offer him the full MLE type money. He is a UFA and does not have to give the Spurs a chance to match any offers. Lets just take him off the market then...It's safe to say you don't negotiate for a living. Bidding against yourself is dumb. Let another team set the market for him. When it comes down to it, the Spurs can beat just about any offer so it doesn't really matter if they lock him up now or later.

Might as well wait for summer league to start to watch Mahinmi and Gist play before deciding how vital Thomas is next year. I doubt there is any rush on either side of the equation.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2008, 03:20 PM
We are now 5 days into free agency and have not heard anything about KT. I wanted to start a thread where any and all new information regarding KT can be posted. I know we have some threads assuming what the Spurs might do if we don't sign KT, and that can be included to, but this is more for current updates and articles...

We need KT back or are big man situation will be compromised...

What is there that we need to watch?

The Spurs want to keep him. For FAs that they can sign to whatever they want, they usually sit back and let the market determine said player's value.

That's what they're doing with KT. You are way too emotional about this. In case you hadn't noticed, the E-N beat writers pretty much suck ass when it comes to reporting on things.

No news on Thomas is hardly grounds for all your drama the last couple of days over him.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 03:21 PM
I don't understand even being worried about Thomas right now. The only two teams linked to him are the Lakers and the Heat. The Lakers aren't going to pay $10-12M for him this year (once factoring in the luxury tax hit) for a guy who would probably play about 10-12 minutes per game. The Heat will only offer him a two year deal because they are clearing cap space.

The only way I see Thomas not coming back is if the Spurs don't value him enough to make a competitive offer.

To me, this nails it exactly on the head. Lets look at two scenarios then.

Lets say the Spurs value him. If the Spurs know that the only two teams that are "seriously" linked to him are the Lakers and Heat. They also know that the Lakers will have to pay luxury tax for him and the Heat can only offer him a 2 year deal for cap space purposes, then why do you not step up? If you value him, why wait?

Scenario 2: What if the Spurs do not value him enough to make a competitive offer? They have not stepped up yet to do so. Then where does that leave the Spur's big man situation. Who else is on the FA market that fits in with what we do, for the money. What trades could they pull off, if they wanted to go that route.

Kori Ellis
07-13-2008, 03:21 PM
Don't you freaks have anything better to do on a Sunday afternoon. :lol

Kori Ellis
07-13-2008, 03:27 PM
This thread is a classic example of Spurs fans thirsting for something to talk about in the offseason. If you all didn't want to participate in his KT Watch, then you could have just ignored the thread. But instead, you argued about nothing for two pages.

I can't wait til tomorrow when Mahinmi has 10 fouls and Hill sucks in the summer league game, so then there will be something to talk about ;)

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 03:27 PM
It's safe to say you don't negotiate for a living. Bidding against yourself is dumb. Let another team set the market for him. When it comes down to it, the Spurs can beat just about any offer so it doesn't really matter if they lock him up now or later.

Might as well wait for summer league to start to watch Mahinmi and Gist play before deciding how vital Thomas is next year. I doubt there is any rush on either side of the equation.

I understand letting the market set the value. Another side of negotiations, especially with someone you value, is stepping up to make someone happy. Like Gilbert Arenas for example. They "let the market set his value" which was a 95 million dollar offer. They could of just slightly beat that, but they went above and beyond and in turn, Gilbert returned the favor. That is the point I am trying to get across. If you really need/like someone you can make an offer that is fair, that you can live with and possibly end the chance of anything bad happening. For example, say we offer Kurt 3 years at 3.5 million. If he says yes, and then we read a report that the only other offer he had was from the Lakers was 2.5 million, are the Spurs really upset? No. If he says no, well at least then they can say, ok, we just wanted to extend an offer, go play the field and we will match. Then if he gets only a 3 million dollar offer, Spurs can say, our offer is still on the table. If he gets more, then the Spurs can say, you are right and we want to match.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 03:33 PM
It's safe to say you don't negotiate for a living. Bidding against yourself is dumb. Let another team set the market for him. When it comes down to it, the Spurs can beat just about any offer so it doesn't really matter if they lock him up now or later.

Guess thats where my frame of mind differs from yours. I just think it is good to get things done as soon as possible, especially when it is not for a lot of money, yet still important.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 03:35 PM
This thread is a classic example of Spurs fans thirsting for something to talk about in the offseason. If you all didn't want to participate in his KT Watch, then you could have just ignored the thread. But instead, you argued about nothing for two pages.

I can't wait til tomorrow when Mahinmi has 10 fouls and Hill sucks in the summer league game, so then there will be something to talk about ;)

True, just clamoring over the one guy that I think the Spurs must get back. Trying to see what others thought about it. Nothing else to talk about and this is our most pressing Free Agent issue at the moment.

exstatic
07-13-2008, 03:56 PM
I understand letting the market set the value. Another side of negotiations, especially with someone you value, is stepping up to make someone happy. Like Gilbert Arenas for example. They "let the market set his value" which was a 95 million dollar offer. They could of just slightly beat that, but they went above and beyond and in turn, Gilbert returned the favor. That is the point I am trying to get across. If you really need/like someone you can make an offer that is fair, that you can live with and possibly end the chance of anything bad happening. For example, say we offer Kurt 3 years at 3.5 million. If he says yes, and then we read a report that the only other offer he had was from the Lakers was 2.5 million, are the Spurs really upset? No. If he says no, well at least then they can say, ok, we just wanted to extend an offer, go play the field and we will match. Then if he gets only a 3 million dollar offer, Spurs can say, our offer is still on the table. If he gets more, then the Spurs can say, you are right and we want to match.

Washington has a history of doing dumb deals. They signed Juwan Howard to a deal over $100M!! Doesn't mean we need to do the same dumb thing.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Washington has a history of doing dumb deals. They signed Juwan Howard to a deal over $100M!! Doesn't mean we need to do the same dumb thing.

Do you think making Kurt an offer before another team has made him one is dumb?

exstatic
07-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Do you think making Kurt an offer before another team has made him one is dumb?

Yes. You're negotiating against no one but yourself. Why pay him 2 years $8M when you can have him for 2 years $4M? It's stupid.

No one on the Spurs, outside of the Big 3, is irreplacable. Washington paid Arenas because he's a big baby. If Thomas is a big baby, he needs to move on. If not, they'll reach a deal. He knows he's not getting anything CLOSE to that $8M he made last year. I doubt anyone offers him even the LLE, and if they do, the Spurs will sweeten their offer to 2 yrs, $5M.

It's a business, not daycare.

MannyIsGod
07-13-2008, 04:21 PM
again...

lol....

Sense
07-13-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.jacobowatches.com/images/NBA-PW-SA.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Nothing on Kurt so far. Much easier to wait a few days to let other teams set his price.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Yes. You're negotiating against no one but yourself. Why pay him 2 years $8M when you can have him for 2 years $4M? It's stupid.

No one on the Spurs, outside of the Big 3, is irreplacable. Washington paid Arenas because he's a big baby. If Thomas is a big baby, he needs to move on. If not, they'll reach a deal. He knows he's not getting anything CLOSE to that $8M he made last year. I doubt anyone offers him even the LLE, and if they do, the Spurs will sweeten their offer to 2 yrs, $5M.

It's a business, not daycare.

So if you think he can be had for that much (2 years $4M) why not make him that offer right now? If he accepts right away then you are happy because it is a good deal. If you find out later that you could have gotten him for cheaper, who cares, you paid fair value.

I know we have to wait, as we do on everything that happens, just throwing out some thoughts.

Tully365
07-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Congratulations to DPG21920 and Chumpdumper on their engagement. My present to you will be two pairs of ear plugs and a case of gin. Welcome to the world of Marital Bliss! You'll never run out of things to talk about!

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 04:41 PM
So if you think he can be had for that much (2 years $4M) why not make him that offer right now? If he accepts right away then you are happy because it is a good deal. If you find out later that you could have gotten him for cheaper, who cares, you paid fair value.

I know we have to wait, as we do on everything that happens, just throwing out some thoughts.

I never said offer him 8 million, I just said you are not going to get a much better deal than 2 million a year for him, so why wait?

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 04:42 PM
That does not tell you what the Spurs are prepared to pay for him, it is just a starting point .

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I just said you are not going to get a much better deal than 2 million a year for him, so why wait?

SPURS: Okay Kurt, we're ready to offer you a 2 year, 4 million dollar deal. Will you accept?

KURT: WTF, 2 million a year? I gotta be worth more than that.

SPURS: Sorry Kurt, no one's made you an offer, so obviously you aren't as valuable as many thought.

KURT: Alright fine, I'll just wait it out a few more days and then I'll sign.

THE NEXT DAY: According to reports, the Lakers have offered Kurt Thomas a 2 year, 9 million dollar deal.

SPURS: So Kurt, are you ready to accept the 4 million dollar offer?

KURT: *click

THAT is why we gotta wait for Kurt's price to be set around the league, not us.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Wow. Dude completely derails his own thread. Amazing.

Kurt Thomas Watch (http://www.fancast.com/people/Kurt-Thomas/386550/main)

GrandeDavid
07-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Koit Thomas may be resigned by the Spurs. That's all I have to contribute.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2008, 05:32 PM
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/GeneralPurpose/Spurstalk/OfficialKurtThomasWatch.jpg

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 05:33 PM
SPURS: Okay Kurt, we're ready to offer you a 2 year, 4 million dollar deal. Will you accept?

KURT: WTF, 2 million a year? I gotta be worth more than that.

SPURS: Sorry Kurt, no one's made you an offer, so obviously you aren't as valuable as many thought.

KURT: Alright fine, I'll just wait it out a few more days and then I'll sign.

THE NEXT DAY: According to reports, the Lakers have offered Kurt Thomas a 2 year, 9 million dollar deal.

SPURS: So Kurt, are you ready to accept the 4 million dollar offer?

KURT: *click

THAT is why we gotta wait for Kurt's price to be set around the league, not us.

According to reports the Lakers pay Thomas 9 million dollars a year because of luxury tax...

There is something to be said for stepping up to the plate. I am not saying offer him a lot of money, nor insult him. Use your judgment, assess your willingness to pay (an economics term) and make him an offer that you think is fair with regards to his worth and what other teams would offer. If the Spurs are willing to match a full MLE type deal (if somehow KT gets that), it is around ~6 million. So that is the Spurs willingness to pay. Offer him 3.5, which is above what would be considered to low, and way below what you would be ok in paying him. If he accepts than that is great, you essentially saved yourself 2.5 million and took out all the risks of losing him. If he declines, no big deal, because there is a chance (taking all the real world scenarios into consideration such as the Lakers luxury tax problems and the Heat trying to clear cap space) that the 3.5 is the best deal he gets. If he gets an offer for more than that then you know you are willing to go up to 6M to keep him.

Spurs: Kurt, we would like to offer you a 3.5 million dollar contract. We really like what you bring to our team and we want to make you a Spur and get this deal done.

Kurt: hmmm, 3.5, not sure, thank you for the offer, I need some time to see how FA works out, but I will be in touch

Spurs: we know you want to weigh your options, but our deal is on the table and we are going to do what is in our powers to keep you a Spur.

Next day: Lakers offer Kurt Thomas a 3 million dollar a year contract. The Heat have also tendered an offer for an estimated 4 million a year.

Kurt: Well here are my offers, 4 million is what I would like to be paid and if you can up your initial offer to 4 million, I am a Spur.

Spurs: Done, we are glad to have you again and we look forward to this season with you.

Kurt: I want to thank you for stepping up to the plate, giving me time to make my decision and showing loyalty towards me and my family. Lets go to work...

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow. Dude completely derails his own thread. Amazing.

Kurt Thomas Watch (http://www.fancast.com/people/Kurt-Thomas/386550/main)

Read my other post, it says I started this to discuss possibilities of re-signing KT along with posting new and relevant stories on the subject. Do you have something better to discuss today?

Obstructed_View
07-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Read my other post, it says I started this to discuss possibilities of re-signing KT along with posting new and relevant stories on the subject. Do you have something better to discuss today?

Actually, I read your other two dozen posts where you aren't discussing possibilities of re-signing KT. I probably had something better to do than wade through pages of flame wars only to find zero new information about KT, so I figured I'd make you an official Kurt Thomas Watch. See above.

I can't wait til tomorrow...
QFT

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 05:40 PM
So if the market makes no play for KT (meaning he receives no offers) than the Spurs should offer him only the minimum? You have to make players happy. You do not overpay them, but you can not have guys on your team pissed about contract situations.

I know this is all speculation, and we have to be patient, but there is nothing interesting to talk about and it is fun for me to try and go over this stuff. If you do not like, kindly move on and do not post in this thread.

If you like to go over this stuff and debate different stances on the issue, I am here for the conversation.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Actually, I read your other two dozen posts where you aren't discussing possibilities of re-signing KT. I probably had something better to do than wade through pages of flame wars only to find zero new information about KT, so I figured I'd make you an official Kurt Thomas Watch. See above.

QFT

Damn. Dude just totally made his own KT watch. KT WATCH

Spurtacus
07-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Any confirmed source saying the Spurs have offered Thomas a contract? Or are the Spurs pursuing someone like Krstic first?

Obstructed_View
07-13-2008, 05:44 PM
So if the market makes no play for KT (meaning he receives no offers) than the Spurs should offer him only the minimum? You have to make players happy. You do not overpay them, but you can not have guys on your team pissed about contract situations.
Paying a guy more than his market value is overpaying him if you can avoid it. KT probably knows that the Spurs are going to be hurting if he leaves so he has some leverage there, however I imagine the "I might go somewhere else for less money" ploy that so many players have used with success doesn't fly well in San Antonio. There are a couple of teams out there that seem to genuinely dislike the Spurs; maybe one of them will float a rumor out there about KT just to drive up the price.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 05:45 PM

QFT

I am discussing theory of what might be going on inside the Spurs F.O.. Trying to get others opinions on what might be happening and why the wait. My THEORY is that the Spurs should step up and make an offer within reason. Others say wait and let the market make the first offer. There are pros and cons to each. It is just banter. If you do not like it, go post on the Emeka Okafor thread.

Obstructed_View
07-13-2008, 05:45 PM

And you're still trashing your own thread.

By the way, that's your KT watch. Consider it your "don't shit where you live" consolation prize.

GrandeDavid
07-13-2008, 05:49 PM

I found the KT Watch to be rather dope.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Paying a guy more than his market value is overpaying him if you can avoid it. KT probably knows that the Spurs are going to be hurting if he leaves so he has some leverage there, however I imagine the "I might go somewhere else for less money" ploy that so many players have used with success doesn't fly well in San Antonio. There are a couple of teams out there that seem to genuinely dislike the Spurs; maybe one of them will float a rumor out there about KT just to drive up the price.

True, but that is where we have to have faith in our F.O.. They can sift through what is real or not and see if Kurt actually has an offer. If he does, they can say : "we are willing to match". I am just arguing from a strictly economic theory point of view, hence the willingness to pay. That in theory is the Spurs market value for a player. There is something to be said for minimizing risks. What one may say is overpaying (by making the first offer of 3.5M for example), one can argue that even though you might have been able to pay him less if you waited, the fact that you eliminated the risks was worth the difference in what you paid, to a certain degree of course.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 05:52 PM
I found the KT Watch to be rather dope.

For shizzle

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 05:52 PM
And you're still trashing your own thread.

By the way, that's your KT watch. Consider it your "don't shit where you live" consolation prize.

Ya, life lessons on SpursTalk.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush is the point I am trying to make with my KT theory.

GrandeDavid
07-13-2008, 06:16 PM
For shizzle

I am fixing to kick some rather gifted oratorical skills and shit:

I found that timepiece to be semi-phly.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Ya, life lessons on SpursTalk.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush is the point I am trying to make with my KT theory.

We get it. And after three pages of you trying to rephrase the same theory, you're still wrong.

The Spurs are waiting to let the market set his value. There is no reason for them to make him an offer now because the only two outcomes are:

1. They overpay him

2. They offer him a low offer that pisses him off and he walks on principle

Why risk either when they don't have to?

If LA offers him the MLE for 3 years, the Spurs can add a half a million a year to it and beat it. If LA and Miami go elsewhere, no one else gets in on the bidding, maybe he only costs 2-3 million a year.

No matter how much paranoia you want to post in this stupid thread, there's zero reasons for the Spurs to make an offer now.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
According to reports the Lakers pay Thomas 9 million dollars a year because of luxury tax...

There is something to be said for stepping up to the plate. I am not saying offer him a lot of money, nor insult him. Use your judgment, assess your willingness to pay (an economics term) and make him an offer that you think is fair with regards to his worth and what other teams would offer. If the Spurs are willing to match a full MLE type deal (if somehow KT gets that), it is around ~6 million. So that is the Spurs willingness to pay. Offer him 3.5, which is above what would be considered to low, and way below what you would be ok in paying him. If he accepts than that is great, you essentially saved yourself 2.5 million and took out all the risks of losing him. If he declines, no big deal, because there is a chance (taking all the real world scenarios into consideration such as the Lakers luxury tax problems and the Heat trying to clear cap space) that the 3.5 is the best deal he gets. If he gets an offer for more than that then you know you are willing to go up to 6M to keep him.

Spurs: Kurt, we would like to offer you a 3.5 million dollar contract. We really like what you bring to our team and we want to make you a Spur and get this deal done.

Kurt: hmmm, 3.5, not sure, thank you for the offer, I need some time to see how FA works out, but I will be in touch

Spurs: we know you want to weigh your options, but our deal is on the table and we are going to do what is in our powers to keep you a Spur.

Next day: Lakers offer Kurt Thomas a 3 million dollar a year contract. The Heat have also tendered an offer for an estimated 4 million a year.

Kurt: Well here are my offers, 4 million is what I would like to be paid and if you can up your initial offer to 4 million, I am a Spur.

Spurs: Done, we are glad to have you again and we look forward to this season with you.

Kurt: I want to thank you for stepping up to the plate, giving me time to make my decision and showing loyalty towards me and my family. Lets go to work...

Oh how lovely things work out with such a hopeful imagination.
Lolz at the Heat only being able to afford him at 4 million.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 06:26 PM
We get it. And after three pages of you trying to rephrase the same theory, you're still wrong.

The Spurs are waiting to let the market set his value. There is no reason for them to make him an offer now because the only two outcomes are:

1. They overpay him

If LA offers him the MLE for 3 years, the Spurs can add a half a million a year to it and beat it. If LA and Miami go elsewhere, no one else gets in on the bidding, maybe he only costs 2-3 million a year.

No matter how much paranoia you want to post in this stupid thread, there's zero reasons for the Spurs to make an offer now.

How am I wrong? Can you prove that I am wrong with quantifiable evidence or facts? Or is it your OPINION vs. my OPINION?

He is an Unrestricted Free Agent. There are risks in waiting. He does not have to give the Spurs a chance to match. If he gets an offer he likes, that he feels is fair and strikes a relationship with a GM, coach or player, he can just sign and walk away. Is that paranoid? Maybe. Are you still a dick that can not back up anything you say with facts when you make accusations? Undoubtedly.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Oh how lovely things work out with such a hopeful imagination.
Lolz at the Heat only being able to afford him at 4 million.

What do you think they can offer him? Considering they are trying to clear cap space for 2010?

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 06:31 PM

1. They overpay him

As Kori mentioned...if you do not like a thread or its contents, simply pass it by. It is not that hard. But if something is stupid or makes no sense to you, ignore it. Don't bash it or attack it, it just makes you look like a dick.

Einstein said: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If you keep thinking threads are dumb or pointless and you keep posting in them, they will never go away. If you do not like a thread, then odds are you were not the target market to begin with.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-13-2008, 06:52 PM
What do you think they can offer him? Considering they are trying to clear cap space for 2010?

They're not making space for 2010, they just gave James Jones a 5 year deal.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 07:03 PM
They're not making space for 2010, they just gave James Jones a 5 year deal.

Miami is over the cap, so how much could they offer KT?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2008, 07:43 PM
How am I wrong? Can you prove that I am wrong with quantifiable evidence or facts? Or is it your OPINION vs. my OPINION?

He is an Unrestricted Free Agent. There are risks in waiting. He does not have to give the Spurs a chance to match. If he gets an offer he likes, that he feels is fair and strikes a relationship with a GM, coach or player, he can just sign and walk away. Is that paranoid? Maybe. Are you still a dick that can not back up anything you say with facts when you make accusations? Undoubtedly.

Oh brother. Forget it. We're fucked. Kurt is signing with LA for 2 million. It sucks to be a Spurs fan.

spurman20
07-13-2008, 07:43 PM
They have about 1.5 mil pr year left from the MLE. Not likely enough to get him. It would have to be a sign and trade. SA has expressed intrest in Wright and he would solve our problems at the SF spot, but we would have to add a FA big to consider that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
As Kori mentioned...if you do not like a thread or its contents, simply pass it by. It is not that hard. But if something is stupid or makes no sense to you, ignore it. Don't bash it or attack it, it just makes you look like a dick.

Einstein said: Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If you keep thinking threads are dumb or pointless and you keep posting in them, they will never go away. If you do not like a thread, then odds are you were not the target market to begin with.

Um, yeah, thanks. I'll read and post wherever I want, even if certain posters keep posting the same shit over and over and over and over in the same thread in attempt to prove their point when multiple others have already countered it.

It's comical that you're getting so bent of shape about any of us somehow not buying into your argument, when you're being just as stubborn about refusing to acknowlege anyone else's take.

Insanity indeed.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2008, 07:45 PM
Miami is over the cap, so how much could they offer KT?

Apparently enough to sign him, if one listens to you.

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Um, yeah, thanks. I'll read and post wherever I want, even if certain posters keep posting the same shit over and over and over and over in the same thread in attempt to prove their point when multiple others have already countered it.

It's comical that you're getting so bent of shape about any of us somehow not buying into your argument, when you're being just as stubborn about refusing to acknowlege anyone else's take.

Insanity indeed.I just started ignoring the parts where he says to ignore him.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I just started ignoring the parts where he says to ignore him.

Love you chump!

duncan228
07-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Love you chump!

I think that's been established. :lol

Wait ... you just admitted to being the girl in a relationship with ChumpDumper?

ChumpDumper
07-13-2008, 07:54 PM
I also ignore the parts where he says he loves me.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Its called a joke, if you can't laugh at yourself...

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Apparently enough to sign him, if one listens to you.

Where did I say Miami could get him for 2 mil? Maybe in reference to a hypothetical situation with use of numbers to make an argument. I only said that the Spurs should step up and make a reasonable offer instead of waiting. Once again, you are making up stuff

Tully365
07-13-2008, 07:58 PM
I've been here in the bushes for three hours now, just beneath Kurt Thomas's living room window. Kurt was reading the sunday paper for awhile, but then he received a call on his cell phone. It appeared to be a friend, as he laughed hardily a few times during the conversation. After the call, he made some coffee. I thought it strange to make coffee on such a hot day, but then I realized that I was hot because I was outside, whereas Kurt was nice and cool in air conditioning. After the coffee finished brewing, he tricked me again, by adding ice to the coffee. Ah... iced coffee. He's a tricky one, that Kurt Thomas. For reasons I can't explain-- reasons tied inextricably to my own childhood-- I watched Kurt sipping his chilly coffee and returning once again to his sunday paper, and I felt a lightning bolt of hatred race down my spine. Then, as quickly as that hatred appeared, it also disappeared, and I loved Kurt again as before-- his rebounding, his defense, his grizzled tough-guy-with-a-heart-of-gold appearance. Kurt then disappeared into the bathroom. Judging by how long he has been in there, I'm guessing #2. It could be #1, and a shave... but why shave midday in the off season? That's why I say #2.

More updates to follow.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 08:01 PM

Insanity indeed.

That is the exact opposite of the truth. Who cares if people counter it. That is why it is called a debate. That is the point. The same when someone says we should go after player "x" and someone else says player "y".

I did acknowledge others people takes and that is why I am talking to them. I never said anyone was wrong for their opinions, like you, I never even said you were wrong. I clearly stated that you can not say I am wrong because it is just my opinion vs yours. So once again, you are making up shit about me. Do you see the trend hear. Once again, I will post on of my quotes referencing your accusations, and once again it will prove you wrong. But you will not acknowledge it:

This is my message from the other KT thread, about a few hours ago:

DPG21920
Believe.

Position: Pass-First Guard
Team: San Antonio Spurs
vBookie Cash: $500

Default Re: If Spurs don't resign Kurt Thomas...

Originally Posted by Dynasty View Post

How's that thread going for you?

Not too good! But thats ok, It was not for everyone. I just wanted to consolidate this and mine. Make it a one-stop shop for those interested in what is going on with KT. I am finding some people who are making some good points about market value and engaging in theoretical conversations, but most do not care for it. I was just doing it because KT is important to the team in the scope of things and I like to discuss things like market value and such...

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Insanity indeed.

Try being original and quit jocking all my quotes. I have heard no one on this site say the respect you or your opinions. In fact, I have seen many treat you like you treat me.

Not saying what I say carries any weight, but do not kid yourself, you have no clout around here either.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
They have about 1.5 mil pr year left from the MLE. Not likely enough to get him. It would have to be a sign and trade. SA has expressed intrest in Wright and he would solve our problems at the SF spot, but we would have to add a FA big to consider that.

Ya, I know, from the James Jones deal right? I never though Miami was a real threat. LA is, because they might need him, but they do have luxury tax problems. I do not know of any other team that has been asking about him, which is why I said, we should just make him and us happy, and make him a reasonable offer of 3.5 million or so. Risky I guess, but less risky than having some team with money do something crazy and steal him, leaving us with not much up front. I just do not know many other FA bigs the Spurs would like more than Thomas.

spurman20
07-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Ya, I know, from the James Jones deal right? I never though Miami was a real threat. LA is, because they might need him, but they do have luxury tax problems. I do not know of any other team that has been asking about him, which is why I said, we should just make him and us happy, and make him a reasonable offer of 3.5 million or so. Risky I guess, but less risky than having some team with money do something crazy and steal him, leaving us with not much up front. I just do not know many other FA bigs the Spurs would like more than Thomas.

I dont think there is much chance he leaves SA unless the clips get giddy and give him a deal. Miami has been hot for him, He is a Pat Riely guy. They only have 1 C on thier roster so they have to get a big or two. Im sure in the end he will sign for 2 yrs and 7-8mil. La is loaded with guys who can play the 4-5 so no chance they take him and he wont fit that team because he is so slow.

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 08:47 PM
What if they lose Turiaf. Kurt could fill that role in nicely, especially because they need help defensively. They have a lot of young players and could benefit from leadership besides Kobe. That deal you said (2 years 7-8 million) falls in line with what I said. So if that is what you think, then why not just offer him the 3.5 million now for 2 years and get it taken care of? Unless, you really think you can get him cheaper or you do not want him?? Not sure...

MannyIsGod
07-13-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm going to go start the "watch paint dry official watch semi annual free agency thread OFFICIAL"

BRB

EDIT: My thread will of course have the obligatory official *** at the start and end ***

DPG21920
07-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Do not forget to post the mandatory: weight/height/age numbers for the paint or else it is a fail thread

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Where did I say Miami could get him for 2 mil? Maybe in reference to a hypothetical situation with use of numbers to make an argument. I only said that the Spurs should step up and make a reasonable offer instead of waiting. Once again, you are making up stuff

This whole thread is one retarded hypothetical revolving around you having your panties in a bunch over some other team hypothetically offering Kurt Thomas some hypothetical fucking amount of money that the Spurs would hypothetically not match so they could hypothetically offer the remainder of the MLE and their LLE to two hypothetical rotation players while hypothetically watching Kurt Thomas go to some other hypothetical team.

Fucking A.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Try being original and quit jocking all my quotes. I have heard no one on this site say the respect you or your opinions. In fact, I have seen many treat you like you treat me.

Not saying what I say carries any weight, but do not kid yourself, you have no clout around here either.

Um, yeah, real mature there. And if you really want to get into it, I'm pretty sure I do have more 'clout' (respect is probably a better word) than your hypothetical ass around here.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2008, 10:14 PM
What if they lose Turiaf. Kurt could fill that role in nicely, especially because they need help defensively. They have a lot of young players and could benefit from leadership besides Kobe. That deal you said (2 years 7-8 million) falls in line with what I said. So if that is what you think, then why not just offer him the 3.5 million now for 2 years and get it taken care of? Unless, you really think you can get him cheaper or you do not want him?? Not sure...

Look, you're either dense, stupid, or a troll.

Either Kurt Thomas wants to be a Spur next year or not. If he does, him and Pop and R.C. will work something out. If he doesn't, he will walk.

The Spurs offering him up a contract now just to 'show him they care' or whatever crap it was you were concerned about will do nothing to change that.

Kurt knows they want him back, they have told him that.

It all comes down to what Kurt really wants, and no amount of pissant hypotheticals is going to change that.

spurman20
07-13-2008, 10:19 PM

I think that is about the price he will go for, I think his camp is tryn to push up the price buy using other teams interest. I dont think the Lakers have serious interest in him even if they lose Turiaf, they are much to deep along the front line.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I think that is about the price he will go for, I think his camp is tryn to push up the price buy using other teams interest. I dont think the Lakers have serious interest in him even if they lose Turiaf, they are much to deep along the front line.

No no no. An agent and a player would never want to wait and see if a full MLE money type deal is going to come along. They'd jump at an offer to play for peanuts with the Spurs when guys like Diop are getting the full MLE. All the Spurs have to do is ask...

DPG21920
07-14-2008, 12:37 AM

Either Kurt Thomas wants to be a Spur next year or not. If he does, him and Pop and R.C. will work something out. If he doesn't, he will walk.

The Spurs offering him up a contract now just to 'show him they care' or whatever crap it was you were concerned about will do nothing to change that.

It all comes down to what Kurt really wants, and no amount of pissant hypotheticals is going to change that.

Why does anyone talk about anything? Because everything is going to happen one way or the other. Either the Spurs will draft one player or another. They will sign one free agent or another, so what does any of it matter? Should not discuss anything on SpursTalk, because no matter all the discussion, they are going to go one way or the other right?

Fuck you. Quit trying to bully people. Why do you have such a problem that you feel you must respond? If you have a problem, just say so and we can work it out, no hypothetical there.

DPG21920
07-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Um, yeah, real mature there. And if you really want to get into it, I'm pretty sure I do have more 'clout' (respect is probably a better word) than your hypothetical ass around here.

What does this have to do with being mature. You don't have clout or respect. Empty Vessels make the loudest noises. You are nothing but a punk. No one respects someone like you, who always trys to bully people. Quit responding to everyone of my posts, it is like you are infatuated with being a dick.

Nothing you say makes sense, I prove you wrong all the time. Feel free to keep making hypothetical accusations about things I said. You try and twist everything I said for some reason. It is lame. I am not going to stop posting here because you do not like it. I do nothing wrong and contribute to this website.

DPG21920
07-14-2008, 12:49 AM

Would you say this to someones face tough guy? You always call me dumb and dense...YOU DONT KNOW ME...your just another computer tough guy

DPG21920
07-14-2008, 01:26 AM
But my last word to you, I will not respond to anything you say to me anymore. No more replies from me. If it has to do with civil conversation then we can chat. No more bull shitting with you though or arguing. Man of my word, I am done.

GrandeDavid
07-14-2008, 04:33 PM
So what's the latest on Koit?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-14-2008, 06:00 PM
What does this have to do with being mature. You don't have clout or respect. Empty Vessels make the loudest noises. You are nothing but a punk. No one respects someone like you, who always trys to bully people. Quit responding to everyone of my posts, it is like you are infatuated with being a dick.

Nothing you say makes sense, I prove you wrong all the time. Feel free to keep making hypothetical accusations about things I said. You try and twist everything I said for some reason. It is lame. I am not going to stop posting here because you do not like it. I do nothing wrong and contribute to this website.

:lmao Thanks for the laugh :tu

I don't want you to stop posting here, just use your brain for once when you do.