PDA

View Full Version : Lineups

dbestpro
07-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Pop likes to use his players in 4 standard lineups. There are transitions to each lineup but he ends up with the group at some point on the floor.
Projected lineups;

The starting unit:
C Mahini, PF Duncan, SF Bowen, SG Mason PG Parker

The reserve unit:
C Oberto, PF Bonner, SF Udoka, SG Ginobili, PG Hill/Vaughn

The finishing unit:
C Oberto, PF Duncan, SF Bowen, SG Ginobili PG Parker

Small Ball Unit:
C Duncan SF Bowen SG Mason/Udoka SG Ginobili PG Parker

Thomas would make Bonner expendible. The missing piece seems to be the same it has been for years. A combo SF/PF. Gist and Hairston are headed for the NBDL. Hill should be there too, but Pop will be stubborn trying to prove they made the right pick.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Starter:
C Oberto, PF Duncan, SF Bowen, SG Mason, PG Parker
Reserve:
C Thomas, PF Mahinmi, SF Udoka, SG Manu, PG Hill
Finisher:
C Oberto, PF Duncan, SF Bowen, SG Manu, PG Parker
Small Ball:
C Duncan, PF Udoka, SF Manu, SG Mason, Parker

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Hill should be there too, but Pop will be stubborn trying to prove they made the right pick.

Or maybe he really is better Vaughn.

mystargtr34
07-14-2008, 09:45 AM
I think we may be expecting to much from Ian this season... but i hope he proves me wrong.

xtremesteven33
07-14-2008, 10:31 AM
i think pop trusts more of Thomas in the finisher than Oberto.

Brox6
07-14-2008, 10:44 AM
^^first Spurs MUST try to retain KT.

lefty
07-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Starter:
Reserve:
Finisher:
Small Ball:

We shouldn't have small ball.

That kills us every time, we don't have the right personel to do it.

spurman20
07-14-2008, 11:52 AM
I dont wanna see Bonners ass in any lineup. Not even the warm up line.

yavozerb
07-14-2008, 11:52 AM
TP,Manu,Bowen,TD,Oberto (manu needs to be starter again)
Hill,Mason,Udoka,Bonner,Mahinmi
JV,Hairston,FA,Gist,FA
(I exepect Hairston and Gist to spend most of the season in austin) If thomas signs he becomes a starter and move oberto to the bench..

Supergirl
07-15-2008, 08:15 AM
I think those lineups look pretty good. I think Mahinmi will be very good, and Hill looks like he's ready to contribute right away. He's as good as Vaughn defensively but he has more offense and can rebound.

I like seeing the roster split into the 4 lineups, because it's a pretty accurate reflection of how Pop will play. And yes, we DO need a small ball lineup, because there are a lot of teams in the NBA that play small, and we have to be able to run with them. But we have to not lose out on D when we do, and we have to maintain our flexibility to play different styles - that's been one of the Spurs' strengths in each of their championship runs.

wildbill2u
07-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Starter:
Reserve:
Finisher:
Small Ball:

I think you have a better handle on the starting unit. Mahimi is not ready to start. Is Mason? I guess he'd better be. If the Mason experiment doesn't work, then this year could go downhill real fast if they feel they still have to use Finley in an important role.

I'm not sure about your reserve unit. You'll probably see Duncan at center with Thomas at PF on that unit with Mahimi only getting a few minutes with Duncan after replacing Thomas. I don't think Pop would trust that unit you have selected with Thomas and Mahimi to be on the floor together for any length of time. Hill will get a chance to play his minutes here--if he can beat out Vaughn.

I don't quibble with the other units because assuming the change of Mason in the lineup, they are the best we've got I think.