PDA

View Full Version : No Summerleague Game Thoughts?

whottt
07-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Lame

:wakeup

Spurtacus
07-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Do you not see that big summer league thread? All thoughts and discussions are pouring into that thread.

What are YOUR thoughts?

whottt
07-15-2008, 12:28 AM
I didn't see the damn game...if I had, I wouldn't be asking for game thoughts.

And while I probably could get the information I want from that thread, I prefer my game thoughts summarized...and I don't want to screw with that game thread adue to the fact that a bunch of douchebags had to run a summer league game thread to 30 something freaking pages.

There's about 5 people in that thread whose opinions I value on this sort of thing, and about 400 others posting endless shit.

timvp
07-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Good late push by the Spurs to turn around their sloppy and passive play to pull out the win.

-Hill was decent. He didn't set the world on fire but he also didn't force much. 17 points, 8 rebounds and an assist isn't bad for the first time out. His jumpers looked good when he was set but he didn't look too good on the move or finishing around the rim. That should improve as he calms down and makes the adjustment to this level of play. Defensively he had some very good moments. He stayed with OJ Mayo well and was aggressive. I'm interested to see how he evolves going forward in summer league. The Spurs need more playmaking from him so we'll see if he can provide that.

-The funny thing about Mahinmi is I thought he had an off game ... and he still had 18 and 8. Once he gets rolling, he should be able to post really nice stats. He's still really, really raw on both ends but he has potential. I'm not convinced he's ready for the NBA quite yet but perhaps he'll show that kind of potential in the remaining summer league games. If he can make quicker decisions and play smarter, he could make the rotation this year. His natural abilities and instincts are pretty good for a player who hasn't played much organized ball.

-When Gist is involved in plays, he shows a lot of energy. He just needs to expand his production zone. Gravitating toward the ball and becoming more of a factor off the ball is the next step he has to take. He looks like a hustle power forward on the NBA level who could supply excitement when a team starts to get bogged down. Good first game but let's see if he build upon it and become more involved on every possession.

-Hairston really looked poor in his first summer league game. We'll see if he can bounce back but he looked shorter, thicker and less athletic than I expected when going up against this level of player. His jumper was off and he let it affect his defense and intensity. Hopefully he can knock down a few jumpers and then perhaps the rest of his game will pick up.

-Green and Tolliver played pretty well. I don't think either has very good NBA potential, though. Green needs to add strength and assertiveness to his game. He's way to finesse right now to make it on the NBA level. But for this summer league team, the Spurs may need to lean on him for offensive production because he can score the ball. Tolliver is a hustle big with a developing outside shot. I've seen him play a lot and I think today his shot was going in more than usual. He's basically Bonner with a tan and not nearly as good of a shooter. Perhaps he's improved over the summer but I think this was the peak of Tolliver's game.

-Cuffee hustles and he actually plays really good defense. Looks too small to make it in the NBA, though. Powell didn't show much but I think he'll be one of the more productive players on this summer league team before it's all said and done.

Overall it was a decent way to start off summer league. No player really stood out as great but Hill, Mahinmi and Gist showed promise. I think we'll see better play from Mahinmi and hopefully Hill will have better nights shooting the ball. On to game two . . .

Ya lazy bastard.

Spurtacus
07-15-2008, 12:30 AM

And while I probably could get the information I want from that thread, I prefer my game thoughts summarized...and I don't want to screw with that game thread adue to the fact that a bunch of douchebags had to run a summer league game thread to 30 something freaking pages.

I guess you'll get a summarization from someone who's not offended by the douchebag comment.

Spurtacus
07-15-2008, 12:30 AM
timvp to the rescue.

whottt
07-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Muchos Gracias.

I'm not worried in the slightest about Hill's shooting...that's the one thing I know he can do just by watching him.

Mahinmi will continue to play better than he looks like he's playing.

It's great to hear Gist played well as that was something I was really hoping for.

Hairston? I don't think the Spurs really wanted Hairston, I think they wanted Dragic(or whoever they drafted first) but they got offered to good of a deal to not trade that pick.

ShoogarBear
07-15-2008, 12:34 AM

There's about 5 people in that thread whose opinions I value on this sort of thing, and about 400 others posting endless shit.

You should just wait for a personal post-game PM.

Tully365
07-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Good games from Hill, Mahinmi, Gist. In a real game, Hill would have gotten the Grizzles in big foul trouble. The D held Mayo in check. Hill rebounded nicely and didn't turn the ball over, Mahinmi stayed out of foul trouble, Gist was a shot-blocking menace. Anyone who honestly makes a declaration about who will make the team and who will be a bust after one game is seriously overreacting.

ShoogarBear
07-15-2008, 12:36 AM
-Hairston really looked poor in his first summer league game. We'll see if he can bounce back but he looked shorter, thicker and less athletic than I expected when going up against this level of player. His jumper was off and he let it affect his defense and intensity. Hopefully he can knock down a few jumpers and then perhaps the rest of his game will pick up.

Sounds like Marcus Williams II?

objective
07-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Mayo didn't have a great game, but fatigue had to be a factor. Coming into the game against the Spurs he averaged 31 mpg in 3 straight nights, and still played 30 against the Spurs.

whottt
07-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Yeah when I looked at the boxscore and saw Hill got to the line 17 times or something...I was like hell yeah. The 8 boards were just gravy(although I was looking for them).

Basically the guy put exactly the type of line he was known for in college...including the boards. Maybe shot a little bit worse, but getting 17 by getting to the line like that is more impressive to me than shooting your way to it.

duncan228
07-15-2008, 12:38 AM
It feels good to have a game and even better to have timvp's game thoughts.

objective
07-15-2008, 12:38 AM
THE CURSE OF JERSEY NUMBER 26 !!!

Hairston needs to change numbers quick before he ends up like Marcus Williams.

timvp
07-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Sounds like Marcus Williams II?The only difference is that Hairston has good form on his jumper. Williams has disgusting form on his jumper. But Hairston has shown to have a good J over the years and he was missing wide open looks. I think he'll start sinking a few. Whether that will wake up the other areas of his game will be seen.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2008, 12:44 AM
The Grizzlies definitely tried to keep Hill from penetrating with trap after trap and took advantage of the no foul limit in summerleague play. Still, Hill was able to make his mark.

All in all, Hill was ok tonight. He tried early to get his teammates involved and set some up for very good looks from behind the arc. In the 2nd half he took it upon himself to attack the basket.

His J looks fine, which will be key next season in the Spurs' O.

He also found a way to snag a bunch of rebounds. Spurs definitely can use some guards who can do that.

mystargtr34
07-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Malik seems like a system player to me, he was a little lossed out there. Summer League depends alot on your ability to create offense for your self and in one on one situations. It wasnt really his setting

He did have 4 rebounds 2 assists and a block in 18 minutes...although i seem to remember Williams having some good rebounding and assist numbers last season.

Still, way to early to give up op on him.

mystargtr34
07-15-2008, 12:48 AM
The Grizzlies definitely tried to keep Hill from penetrating with trap after trap and took advantage of the no foul limit in summerleague play. Still, Hill was able to make his mark.

All in all, Hill was ok tonight. He tried early to get his teammates involved and set some up for very good looks from behind the arc. In the 2nd half he took it upon himself to attack the basket.

His J looks fine, which will be key next season in the Spurs' O.

He also found a way to snag a bunch of rebounds. Spurs definitely can use some guards who can do that.

Yea, Hill was an exceptional rebounder in college, and taking one game for what it is, it seems to have translated well. It will definately help.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Hairston's shot selection wasn't bad. He just didn't hit them. Four summerleague shot attempts are not enough to doom a player. If this continues in the Vegas games and then in the RMR, perhaps it's enough to not warrant a training camp invite. I doubt that though.

These guys were thrown together and this is the first game they played as an unit.

anakha
07-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Yea, Hill was an exceptional rebounder in college, and taking one game for what it is, it seems to have translated well. It will definately help.

I remember the case being made here before that the coaching staff didn't like having their guards hustle for rebounds because it prevented them from getting back on the defensive end.

Hopefully Hill's rebounding is good enough to loosen that rule up a bit.

underdawg
07-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Hairston's shot selection wasn't bad. He just didn't hit them. Four summerleague shot attempts are not enough to doom a player. If this continues in the Vegas games and then in the RMR, perhaps it's enough to not warrant a training camp invite. I doubt that though.

These guys were thrown together and this is the first game they played as an unit.

He did make very crisp passes - not the number one aspect you're looking for in a SG's attributes, but it's at least one good quality he showed tonight.

mystargtr34
07-15-2008, 01:02 AM
I remember the case being made here before that the coaching staff didn't like having their guards hustle for rebounds because it prevented them from getting back on the defensive end.

You may be right... but Pop was clearly stressing during nearly every time out during the playoffs that 'everybody rebounds'

Tully365
07-15-2008, 01:13 AM
If Hill continues to rebound like he did tonight (and in college), he could make us forget missing out on Azubuike.

SenorSpur
07-15-2008, 01:14 AM
He did make very crisp passes - not the number one aspect you're looking for in a SG's attributes, but it's at least one good quality he showed tonight.

Let's not rush to judgement just yet on Hairston - at least not for a couple of more games anyway.

Tully365
07-15-2008, 01:18 AM
George Hill does at least temporarily hold the title of defender who forced OJ Mayo into his worst shooting game so far.

John_C
07-15-2008, 02:46 AM

That is with regards to going for offensive rebounds. It is a safety net to have the guards in a position to run first on the defensive end, rather than hustle for offensive rebounds, which must befall on the shoulders of Centers and Wing men.

Defensive rebounds, which Hill mostly has, is a different story since it stops the opposing team from having second chance points, and a Guard being the first to grab possession of the ball also gives him an opportunity for break away points.

angelbelow
07-15-2008, 02:49 AM
try the game 1 thread..

urunobili
07-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Hairston? I don't think the Spurs really wanted Hairston, I think they wanted Dragic(or whoever they drafted first) but they got offered to good of a deal to not trade that pick.

Damn man you've been out of the loop for good... get a grip...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99995

i think it's reverse now mate... :depressed

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/baloncesto/acb/es/desarrollo/1145731.html

it basically says that he is about to fuck TAU... and that TAU is looking for a new PG since it's a fact he'll be joining the Suns...

whottt in 3, 2, 1...

mrspurs
07-15-2008, 07:48 AM
and the hits just keep on coming.........for those as they say........(lazy butts) i can watch the game and fish at the sametime....i enjoyed watching hill(somewhat suprised), caught a 8lb red(not surprised)......having a laptop in your tacklebox..........life is good

wildbill2u
07-15-2008, 08:26 AM
I particularly like the way Hill fought through picks without getting called for fouls. He seemed to find every little crack and crevice. I don't know if he'll be able to do that in the big show, but he showed the attitude of a dogged defender. Pop should like that.

kobyz
07-15-2008, 08:54 AM
we need Finley back!

Steve-O-Matic
07-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Everyone has nights where their shot isn't falling. There were games last year where Manu Ginobili couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. It's not as though Hairston was 0-for-12 either. This evaluation period isn't a marathon, but its not a 10-yard sprint either. He'll have plenty of more opportunities to prove himself from the field. And he did well in some of the other facets of his game last night, so it wasn't that big of a turkey.

2centsworth
07-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Defensively George was very good. He's long, has good anticipation, and is able to stay in front of people. Offensively it's most telling when your shot is off and you can still put up numbers. We will have to wait and see, but he seemed like a natural scorer to me.

He was a mediocre to poor playmaker yesterday. He would just pass out of a double team for a long three pointer. Eventually I would like to see him bust the double team and finish or set someone up for an easy bucket. Nevertheless, he stayed composed except for a few stints were he was real passive.

Gist is quick and aggressive. He has a chance of playing.

Harriston is not NBA material.

wildbill2u
07-15-2008, 10:05 AM
we need Finley back!

Ah, but don't forget we have the savior replacement for Finley in Mason. :rolleyes

After all, he had one 'fair' year last year that we're praying was a 'breakout' and not just the result of getting more time because of injuries.

kobyz
07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Mason is Barry replacement

SpursChampsIII
07-15-2008, 11:30 AM
and the hits just keep on coming.........for those as they say........(lazy butts) i can watch the game and fish at the sametime....i enjoyed watching hill(somewhat suprised), caught a 8lb red(not surprised)......having a laptop in your tacklebox..........life is good

Ohhhhhhhhhh....SNAP! Is that what you were trying to say?

SpursChampsIII
07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
After one game, and I'll adjust my opinion:

Hill - I can see the potential. He needs work on his ball-handling, but I think the Spurs wanted more of the "combo guard" from him than pure PG skills. He has a good-loking shot, and plays on both ends (defense and rebounding).

Mahinmi - I like his energy, but I worry about his lower body strength. His legs are really thin and he will likely get pushed around alot. He has pretty good touch on his shots, but his hands seem a bit suspect. Pop needs to give him minutes and I think he will be a big part of the rotation as the season wears on. I don't see how he gets more minutes than Thomas (if we resign him).

Gist - I want to see this guy play more minutes. He seems to be pretty aggressive around the basket and has a decent shot. I saw him try to penetrate AND pull up for the jumper. I like the 3 blocks, and he did have about 5 rebounds in only 18 minutes. He is one to keep an eye on.

Hairston - If one game impressions were everthing, this guy is gone today. If he can't create shots, or hit open shots in a setting where you are trying to win a roster spot, he has a ways to go.

It will be interesting to follow their progress through summer league play.