PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Hill Holds Own Against Mayo In Summer League Debut

duncan228
07-15-2008, 12:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071508.spurs-griz-summerleague.WEB.en.57d20fbc.html

Spurs: Hill holds own against Mayo in summer league debut
By Mike Monroe

LAS VEGAS -- The plan was for George Hill, the guard from IUPUI the Spurs drafted with the 26th selection of the 2008 draft, to make his Las Vegas Summer League debut against the Memphis Grizzlies’ Mike Conley, one of the top picks in the 2007 draft.

When the Spurs’ coaches found out Conley wasn’t going to suit up for Memphis, they had a better idea.

"George Hill vs. O.J. Mayo,” assistant coach Mike Budenholzer said before the Spurs defeated the Grizzlies, 78-76, at Thomas and Mack Arena late Monday night.

“It’s definitely a good test for him right out of the gate. I don’t know that much about Mayo, but he was the third pick in the draft and George was the 26th pick. Hopefully, he’s got something he wants to show everybody. It always starts with defense for George.”

Mayo, the explosive guard from Southern California the Grizzlies acquired in a draft night trade involving draft rights to UCLA’s Kevin Love, is the sort of challenge the Spurs believe Hill will readily accept, even as a rookie.

Budenholzer had some advice for Hill before sending him out against Mayo, who had scored 56 points in his first three summer league games.

“This kid is looking to score,” Budenholzer told Hill, “so make him take tough shots, but don’t foul him.”

It was the same sort of admonition Gregg Popovich gave to Bruce Bowen when he sent him out to defend Kobe Bryant in the Western Conference final.

“That’s one of our big things,” Budenholzer said. “Make him take tough shots, but don’t put him on the free throw line. If we can get out of this game with O.J. Mayo shooting six, seven free throws – sort of like Kobe Bryant – then that’s probably a good sign for George.”

By game’s end, Mayo had scored 16 points, but taken only six free throws. Hill also had succeeded in making him take the sort of tough shots the Spurs are content to yield. Mayo made only five of 17 shots.

It was what Budenholzer and Popovich, watching from a seat eight rows up in the stands in a nearly deserted arena, had hoped to see from Hill at the defensive end.

Hill made two of nine shots and scored 14 points, but his defensive work on Mayo – he took two charges and helped in limiting Mayo to two points in the second and third quarters – was all that mattered in his first game in silver and black.

Spurtacus
07-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Hill did a good job. But could Mayo have been fatigued from previous games? This was Memphis' fourth SL game.

anakha
07-15-2008, 12:34 AM
Does this indicate that the coaching staff sees Hill as primarily a defensive player?

SequSpur
07-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Kobe lit Bowen up like the fourth of July in the West Finals.

Solid D
07-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Hill scored 17 points, actually, not 14.

milkyway21
07-15-2008, 12:51 AM
and 78-76 Spurs is the final score? :oops

I think I saw the LA Lakers had a blow-out win against Memphis yesterday

But Hill showing defense is a good start.

underdawg
07-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Does this indicate that the coaching staff sees Hill as primarily a defensive player?

wasn't that the selling point on him vs other prospects?

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2008, 12:55 AM
wasn't that the selling point on him vs other prospects?

Not just the defense, but he's a composed player. The Grizzlies went after him all night and he turned the ball over twice. He set up players for jumpers with good looks quite a few times. He definitely did not seem to get rattled.

Tully365
07-15-2008, 01:09 AM
In his first three games, OJ Mayo was 5 for 10, 9 for 19, and 6 for 13. So for Hill and the Spurs' summer league team to force him into 5 for 17 shooting is a nice accomplishment. So the first indication is Hill can guard SGs in addition to PGs, which I'm sure is something the Spurs were hoping for.

coopdogg3
07-15-2008, 01:13 AM
OJ could just be tired, or having an off night. But definitely a good start for Hill. Wonder who he'll go up against tomorrow with New Orleans.

mystargtr34
07-15-2008, 01:14 AM
In his first three games, OJ Mayo was 5 for 10, 9 for 19, and 6 for 13. So for Hill and the Spurs' summer league team to force him into 5 for 17 shooting is a nice accomplishment. So the first indication is Hill can guard SGs in addition to PGs, which I'm sure is something the Spurs were hoping for.

And one of those was a 60 foot heave at the buzzer and another from beyond NBA three point range in the final seconds when George was avoiding the foul.

Hill did an excellent job.

I was a bit surprised with Crittenton, he seemed to look pretty good towards the end of last season, but he struggled more than Mayo tonight.

rj215
There were times when he looked nervous (who could blame him) but I gotta agree, Hill didn't look lost and he looked like he could at worst be a defensive ace. Granted it was 1 summer league game but Mayo has been mentioned as the best player in the draft so what Hill did was really impressive for the 26th overall pick.

Manu-of-steel
nice game spurs. for the next games, sho 'em what stuff you're made of. go spurs go

coopdogg3
07-15-2008, 01:16 AM
And one of those was a 60 foot heave at the buzzer and another from beyond NBA three point range in the final seconds when George was avoiding the foul.

Hill did an excellent job.

I was a bit surprised with Crittenton, he seemed to look pretty good towards the end of last season, but he struggled more than Mayo tonight.

Yeah, I forgot about that garbage three. Good for OJ, but it can't be lumped against Hill's defense.

knee-knee-3
07-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Hill's showing was actually pretty impressive. He didn't get rattled, while playing good defense and setting up his teammates. Good first game.

mystargtr34
07-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Yeah, I forgot about that garbage three. Good for OJ, but it can't be lumped against Hill's defense.

No doubt, although George took a charge on Javaris on a fast break and moved his feet well

Slinkyman
07-15-2008, 01:47 AM
Mayo went 5 for 17 and one of those shots he made was a half court heave at the end of the 1st quarter, Hill didn't shoot well but did other things and got to the line plenty.

SKINNYPIMP210
07-15-2008, 02:09 AM
I was looking at the box score and these cats (Memphis) only hit three 3's no? That's pretty good, plus you have to count Mayo half court shot and also his late game tray. If those didn't fall then we would of held them to 1 tray. Not to shabby. I liked what I saw which wasn't very much cause I was at work but tomorrow I will check out the entire game. Cant wait. :toast

exstatic
07-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Hill did a good job. But could Mayo have been fatigued from previous games? This was Memphis' fourth SL game.

OJ could just be tired, or having an off night. But definitely a good start for Hill. Wonder who he'll go up against tomorrow with New Orleans.

Tired? How fucking tired can you be at 19 or 20 after some summer scrimmages? If he's tired, then Memphis fucked up by picking him. He'll never last 82 REAL games.

Brox6
07-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Love the quote about tired. It was a good start for Hill showing his defensive side, hope he can fill the offense also.

mrspurs
07-15-2008, 07:51 AM
hill grabs more boards then fab and bonner put together in his first SL game.....guess we found our next bigman...i can already see hill pushing fab out of the way for a rebound....

1Parker1
07-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Not just the defense, but he's a composed player. The Grizzlies went after him all night and he turned the ball over twice. He set up players for jumpers with good looks quite a few times. He definitely did not seem to get rattled.

So he's the Anti-Beno? :lol

TJastal
07-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Tired? How fucking tired can you be at 19 or 20 after some summer scrimmages? If he's tired, then Memphis fucked up by picking him. He'll never last 82 REAL games.

hehehe....

I was thinking the same thing, no way in hell these young studs are tired already, it was 4 freakin games after a summer layoff

tav1
07-15-2008, 08:50 AM

You know, I hadn't thought about that. They were all over him. I'm surprised he didn't have more TOs. He did a nice job of adjusting to the traps.

tav1
07-15-2008, 08:53 AM
The Griz will probably start Lowry, Mayo, Gay, Arthur and Gasol the Younger next season. Damn young, but so far as young cores go, you can't do much better. Mayo and Gay both have All-Star talent.

hater
07-15-2008, 09:03 AM
So he's the Anti-Beno? :lol

most definitely this title would fit him well.

Hill is the real deal, saw 1st half and he reminds me of a mix between Antonio Daniels and Tony Parker.

I can see him being more fearless than either one

ceperez
07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
hill grabs more boards then fab and bonner put together in his first SL game.....guess we found our next bigman...i can already see hill pushing fab out of the way for a rebound....

Yeah, that's what surprised me about his stats. The guy seems to be all over the place and is very quick to the ball. Hill can create a lot of havoc!!

One other this Hill was double the entire game! Not going to happen in the NBA.

picnroll
07-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I would think that talent relative to competition over their college career Hill is more used to being doubled and tripled than any other player in the draft.

Spuradicator
07-15-2008, 09:25 AM
not bad Hill, plus he had 8 boards.

2centsworth
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
most definitely this title would fit him well.

Hill is the real deal, saw 1st half and he reminds me of a mix between Antonio Daniels and Tony Parker.

I can see him being more fearless than either one

more fearless than parker :lol

Tmac&Luther
07-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Donte Greene's better :hat

hater
07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
more fearless than parker :lol

don't beleive. u obviously haven't seen him much. u shall see :king

hater
07-15-2008, 10:24 AM
don't beleive? u obviously haven't seen him much. u shall see :king

oops

Brutalis
07-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Hill = 6 fouls.

romad_20
07-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Front page of BSPN :rollin People on the comments sections ripping them apart for this being considered news worthy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3488289

NBA career highlight No. 1 for Mayo: 69-footer in Vegas

LAS VEGAS -- O.J. Mayo, the third overall pick in last month's draft, made the most spectacular shot of his career Monday night at the NBA Summer League.

The Memphis Grizzlies guard converted a desperation three-quarters court shot from 69 feet to beat the first-quarter buzzer against San Antonio. Mayo, who shot it with both hands from straight away, rattled it through the rim.

"I thought it wasn't going to make it to the rim," Mayo said. "I was surprised. After practices recently, we have been practicing half-court shots. I made a few there, and now I made one in a game."

Mayo, the highest draft pick playing at the 21-team Summer League -- he was taken with the third pick by Minnesota and then had his rights dealt to Memphis -- finished with 18 points on 5-for-17 shooting from the field in a 78-76 loss to the Spurs. Mayo was 6-for-6 from the free-throw line and had six rebounds.

The Grizzlies and Mayo were playing their fourth game in four days, while the Spurs were making their debut in their four-game Las Vegas visit.

"My body was a little bit sore," Mayo said. "I was getting the shots that I wanted."

Mayo's last field goal, a 3-pointer from the right arc with 3.1 seconds left in the game, cut San Antonio's lead to 77-76.

Besides Mayo's shot, fellow teammate and first-round pick Darrell Arthur from Kansas highlighted the Memphis show. Arthur, who was drafted by Houston 27th and then had his rights dealt to the Grizzlies, had 23 points on 10-for-15 shooting from the field.

"He's a good player," Mayo said. "He plays hard. He's fresh off the national championship. He brings a winning mentality."

Ian Mahinmi, from France, led San Antonio with 18 points and seven rebounds, and former IUPUI star George Hill added 17 points -- including 12-of-16 from the free-throw line.

bigfundamental21
07-15-2008, 12:54 PM
I thought Hill looked good in his first summer league game. He is an active defender, quick in transition, and can cut through the lane like parker. He didn't get a lot of assists, but he crashed the boards, which is important. He seemed comfortable out there. I did notice that he tends to jump the gun in the pick and roll, and will need to be more patient with that. He has good shooting range and likes to get into the passing lanes on D. He did miss a clutch free throw late, but luckily, it didn't come back to bite us in the ass. Overall, good first outing. I am looking forward to what he will do once the season starts.

wisnub
07-15-2008, 01:03 PM
I know he's gonna be good

wisnub
07-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I hope he turn out like Tony Parker......my mom used to said be careful what u wish for, u might get it....

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
"I was getting the shots that I wanted."

First time I've heard a player say they were happy about shooting contested jump shots. Whatever, O.J.

hater
07-15-2008, 01:37 PM
"mayo with mustard"

fuckin pathetic :bang

ESPN keeps sinking to new lows

coopdogg3
07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
"mayo with mustard"

fuckin pathetic :bang

ESPN keeps sinking to new lows

ESPN may have just been quoting the AP. But I liked how 90% of the article was about Memphis' players. Spurs won the game and get a little side-note at the end of the article.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2008, 01:58 PM
No doubt, although George took a charge on Javaris on a fast break and moved his feet wellTook one in the store on that charge too. One of the better cover-ups nut trauma I've seen in awhile. He's tough.

timvp
07-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Not just the defense, but he's a composed player. The Grizzlies went after him all night and he turned the ball over twice. He set up players for jumpers with good looks quite a few times. He definitely did not seem to get rattled.That's actually a really good point. During pre-draft workouts, it seemed like the first thing scouts mentioned about Hill was his composure. It's rare for a young player to not get too high or low during games. That trait probably was valued from the Spurs because that's the type of player you need in the playoffs.

duncan228
07-15-2008, 05:30 PM
It's rare for a young player to not get too high or low during games.

That's the Duncan philosophy of life.

T Park
07-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Yeah I think Hill is gonna suprise some people.

He seems to be Beno Udrih but with a pair and doesn't gets cared when he sees a defender coming at him.

mystargtr34
07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
That ESPN article was a joke

O-Factor
07-15-2008, 08:15 PM
That is such a relief to know that he did well. Now Im really looking forward to his development.