PDA

View Full Version : A reason to like Hill even more

rlballin1
07-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Found this paragraph about Nicolas Batum in his first summer league game on NBAdraft.net

"Nicolas Batum, the French forward originally drafted 25th by the Houston Rockets but later traded to Portland, struggled mightily in 25 minutes, shooting just 1 for 6 and turning the ball over 4 times before getting hurt. His long, wiry frame and ability to the handle the rock are good tools, but it’s unclear if he’ll be able to contribute at all in the near future for these Blazers, especially playing behind guys like Brandon Roy, Martell Webster, and Travis Outlaw."

Now, everyone close their eyes, and thank God we don't have Batum. Hill was the correct choice. He showed up big time from a person from IUP.

Guajalote
07-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Was that his first game? If so, he may have been getting his "feet wet" and may need other games to show what he has.

Still, I'm glad Hill played well last night.

timvp
07-15-2008, 08:13 AM
I watched Batum play and he did look pretty bad but I think he'll be fine. He's so passive that he'll take time to mature. He has the skill, he just has to learn to assert himself. I'm not sure if that "figuring out" period will be a couple months or a couple years.

The reason I'm happy with Hill over Batum is because the point guards in free agency are so few and far between that you'd have to massively overpay to get one. Drafting a point guard in the first round saved that headache.

Long-term it'll be interesting to see the Batum vs. Hill comparison.

rlballin1
07-15-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm just happy the blazers took him away before our front office even had the chance to think about drafting and stashing him. If Hill keeps up his production Pop was right, we do have a guy who can immediately help on both ends of the floor.

rlballin1
07-15-2008, 08:16 AM
HAHA i wanna hear from that one prick ass blazer fan lol, see how you can spin this one

thispego
07-15-2008, 09:47 AM
tlong owns you

rlballin1
07-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Haha u dont kno me well enuff to talk about all this owns crap. Just make a comment about the article and move on.

Tmac&Luther
07-15-2008, 10:10 AM
I watched Batum play and he did look pretty bad but I think he'll be fine. He's so passive that he'll take time to mature. He has the skill, he just has to learn to assert himself. I'm not sure if that "figuring out" period will be a couple months or a couple years.

The reason I'm happy with Hill over Batum is because the point guards in free agency are so few and far between that you'd have to massively overpay to get one. Drafting a point guard in the first round saved that headache.

Long-term it'll be interesting to see the Batum vs. Hill comparison.

Long-term it'll be interesting to see the Batum vs. Greene comparison since Batum was actually drafted by Houston and traded for Greene.....Greene was a damn beast last night, best Summer league performance by far.

Mr. Body
07-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Drafting a PG in the first round might have been good... if Hill is a point guard at all.

Looks like Batum got flanked by Donte Greene, however.

mrspurs
07-15-2008, 11:03 AM
my desk needs cleaning i seen hills numbers from his first intro-nba game earlier, and i thought it said he grabbed 6 or 7 rebounds......

SpursChampsIII
07-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I wasn't real thrilled about Batum to begin with. However, when pick #26 came around, I wanted it to be Donte Green REALLY bad, or Arthur, or Chalmers. When the Spurs picked Hill, I said to myself that they BETTER freakin know what they're doing.

ShoogarBear
07-15-2008, 11:08 AM
One Game Forum

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Drafting a PG in the first round might have been good... if Hill is a point guard at all.

Looks like Batum got flanked by Donte Greene, however.

Hill is a point guard.

picnroll
07-15-2008, 11:33 AM
What part of Hill's game didn't look like a PG last night? His inability to bring the ball up the court against pressure? His inability to work out of traps and double teams in the half court? His inability to get the ball to open players for open looks? He looked hell of a lot more like a PG than Chalmers in the two games I saw who basically was driving off picks and shooting outside shots. One game but so far as PGs go it's Hill >> Chalmers.

tlongII
07-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Batum will be fine. He's got great hops and is very long. We don't really need him so he can take all the time he needs to develop.

tlongII
07-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Batum reminds me of Travis Outlaw actually.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2008, 01:10 PM
What part of Hill's game didn't look like a PG last night? His inability to bring the ball up the court against pressure? His inability to work out of traps and double teams in the half court? His inability to get the ball to open players for open looks? He looked hell of a lot more like a PG than Chalmers in the two games I saw who basically was driving off picks and shooting outside shots. One game but so far as PGs go it's Hill >> Chalmers.

Come on pic, this is Mr. Body we are talking about.

His solution to all that ails the Spurs is Javtokas for the MLE and Chris Douglas Roberts in the draft.

your_pimp
07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Found this paragraph about Nicolas Batum in his first summer league game on NBAdraft.net

"Nicolas Batum, the French forward originally drafted 25th by the Houston Rockets but later traded to Portland, struggled mightily in 25 minutes, shooting just 1 for 6 and turning the ball over 4 times before getting hurt. His long, wiry frame and ability to the handle the rock are good tools, but it’s unclear if he’ll be able to contribute at all in the near future for these Blazers, especially playing behind guys like Brandon Roy, Martell Webster, and Travis Outlaw."

Now, everyone close their eyes, and thank God we don't have Batum. Hill was the correct choice. He showed up big time from a person from IUP.

Hill was 2-9 from the field and had those 17 points mostly shooting free throws...

ChumpDumper
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Hill was 2-9 from the field and had those 17 points mostly shooting free throws...Exactly. Good job finding ways to score.

Thanks for pointing that out!

your_pimp
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Exactly.

Thanks for pointing that out!

2-9!!!

suck ass player!!!

ChumpDumper
07-15-2008, 02:05 PM
He did fine.

Sniffing summer league boxscores of other teams is really all you have in your life.

You are to be pitied.

jayc23
07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
does anybody know who was primarily guarding Hill last night besides the double teams i missed the game.

2centsworth
07-15-2008, 02:29 PM
Hill was 2-9 from the field and had those 17 points mostly shooting free throws...

is this your cry for help? Seriously, it's going to be ok. Your life is worth living.

timvp
07-15-2008, 04:50 PM
does anybody know who was primarily guarding Hill last night besides the double teams i missed the game.OJ Mayo most of the time. Sometimes Javaris Crittenton. I thought both played very good defense, actually.

Hill looks like he'll be fine as a point guard. Ballhandling was solid. He reminded me a bit of Brent Barry in how he whipped the ball around the perimeter with quick passes. His entry passes into the low post were good. He didn't show much playmaking as far as creating open shots when the offense broke down but that's not hugely important in the Spurs offense.

Hill isn't going to be a John Stockton but I already see more point guard instincts in him than players like Eddie House and Jannero Pargo.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2008, 06:15 PM
What struck me was that he played with great poise. The Grizz tried to trap him on a large number of possessions and he seemed to make the right decision every time. They also fouled the shit out of him. Looked like a very solid pick last night. On to tonight's game.

Indazone
07-16-2008, 02:34 AM
Well Morey is looking more and more like a freaking genius.

Last year he snags Scola and trades an unhappy Spanoulis to the Spurs. Spanoulis wants out and the Spurs release him. He was going to quit anyways. Spurs get their salary dump and everyone is happy or are they? Rockets basically get Scola for Jackie Butler and a 2nd round 2009 pick. Morey drafts Brooks and Landry with both becoming rotation players. Landry racks up a season PER of 21. Brooks is selected for TEAM USA's select team. Unbelievable!

This year he cockblocks the Spurs and drafts Batum only to trade him away to snag Dorsey and Donte Greene. Greene who looks like another steal and scores 40 pts in his first summer league game. Dorsey has been compared to Ben Wallace. He also signs sharpshooter Brent Barry from the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
07-16-2008, 02:35 AM
What does that have to do with anything?

Indazone
07-16-2008, 02:39 AM
Just sayin...hoping that George Hill turns out but in comparison to the Spurs, the Rockets draft picks have been incredible ever since Morey took the reins.

ChumpDumper
07-16-2008, 02:41 AM
:lol

Yes, they are the next Belinellis, every last one.

angelbelow
07-16-2008, 02:42 AM
batum has really sucked.

Indazone
07-16-2008, 02:46 AM
batum has really sucked.

Yes and you can thank Morey that neither one of us got him.