PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys safety Ken Hamlin agrees to six-year deal

Evan
07-15-2008, 11:40 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/071608dnspocowboyslede.5a2ffce0.html

BacktoBasics
07-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Now they can find a way to keep Roy up near the line or find a suitable replacement they're in business.

tp2021
07-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Way to shore up the secondary. What to do with Roy?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2008, 12:55 PM
:tu

Now fuck off, Roy.

Evan
07-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Way to shore up the secondary. What to do with Roy?

I think their betting on him taking it to a new level to show all the critics wrong. If not, supposedly next year is a relatively cap friendly year to release him. I stress relatively. I tried to find a link that discusses it but its buried on dallascowboys.com somewhere.

If they can just keep him off of passing downs he will be fine.

monosylab1k
07-15-2008, 02:54 PM

rofl "if we can just avoid playing our safety in passing situations, he should look good". it's unfortunate Roy has fallen that far.

there may be a chance to salvage Roy, but the Cowboys would be best off putting Henry at safety. They'd still have strong depth at CB.

jack sommerset
07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
They sign him for al that money but Jones wants bitch over money on a one year contract with Terry Glenn. FYI. Glen had a contract. Jones wants to change it. Contracts mean SHIT in the NFL.

Evan
07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
rofl "if we can just avoid playing our safety in passing situations, he should look good". it's unfortunate Roy has fallen that far.

there may be a chance to salvage Roy, but the Cowboys would be best off putting Henry at safety. They'd still have strong depth at CB.

I agree with that its a bizarre situation. It sucks that it has come to such a ridiculous tactic to get something out of him. I think its more of a head mess than anything. I saw some NFL films stuff a few weeks ago and he looked decent enough out there with Woodson. Woodson was certainly a crutch but Roy at least held his own.

O-Factor
07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
http://blog.pennlive.com/lvsports/2007/11/boys2.jpg

fitzgerald
07-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Do you guys think Hamlin is that good? He is making less than Polamalu but I don't think he is even close. Brian Dawkins will make less than Hamlin. I think they overpaid.

Horry For 3!
07-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Ken Hamlin is pretty damn good.

This is Roy Williams last year, if he doesn't play well, he is gone.

Anti.Hero
07-15-2008, 06:37 PM
I think their betting on him taking it to a new level to show all the critics wrong. If not, supposedly next year is a relatively cap friendly year to release him. I stress relatively. I tried to find a link that discusses it but its buried on dallascowboys.com somewhere.

They say this every off-season. And yet it never becomes reality.

dallaskd
07-15-2008, 07:37 PM
nice now lets make the Roy Williams for Roy Williams deal happen

Evan
07-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Do you guys think Hamlin is that good? He is making less than Polamalu but I don't think he is even close. Brian Dawkins will make less than Hamlin. I think they overpaid.

Maybe he is a system specific player? Because he did very well here and not so much Seattle.

They say this every off-season. And yet it never becomes reality.

eh? Last year was about the first I remember that he got this much heat about the passing game.

O-Factor
07-15-2008, 08:21 PM
nice now lets make the Roy Williams for Roy Williams deal happen

The WR Roy Williams is wasting away in Detroit and its a shame. I'd love to see him come home and wear the star on his helmet.

Whisky Dog
07-15-2008, 09:27 PM
There's no hiding Roy. He either covers effectively in both man and zone situations or the Cowboys probably go with Watkins next to Hamlin if Watkins continues to improve.

I keep Henry at CB for now. He's a damn good right corner with size and we still don't know what Pac or Jenkins will bring. Can't have too much quality corner depth, and I doubt Henry could transition and be better than Watkins at this point anyway.

Spurtacus
07-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Where's Jerry getting all this money from? Is there no salary cap?

kskonn
07-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Well in my opionion it is hard to compare current fresh signing with what other players signed for in the past. ken Hamlin received a deal in the same range as Gbir Wilson, Hamin made the pro bowl, so i don't think the cowboys overpaid by todays standard. if you look at what he is making compared to what guys signed for 2-3 years ago then he will look overpaid, lust like last year when you compare Romo's salary with Brady etc.... If Polamalu was a free agent today I bet he would of nabbed 45-50 million.

kskonn
07-16-2008, 05:30 PM

Cowboys are in great cap shape, but in addition to that all of these long term signings actually help the cap because they can be loaded in a way that spreads it out over the 6 year deal. You have to remember for every extention of a current player their old salary comes off the books and is replace by their new one, so it looks like Jerry is spending more money than he is. hamlin was going to count for around 6 mil this year on the franchise tag now he will probably count about 8 mi, not a huge increase, and that will most likely go down each year depending on what his annual salary break down is. Typically they re-up players when they are in a year where they are owed a large base, they give them a big siging bonus that can be spread out over the length of the deal therefore actually creating more cap room.

Evan
07-16-2008, 05:45 PM

If you believe in a player you can make great financial long term contracts. Jerry has been re-signing players to contracts like these for a few years now so their cap is in great shape. Its all about the draft and not buying at the end of the career "names."

Spurtacus
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm thrilled with the moves Jerry has been doing.