PDA

View Full Version : Magic Sign Anthony Johnson; Dooling Not Returning

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Keyon Dooling says he knew he wouldn't return to Orlando Magic
Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
11:40 AM EDT, July 15, 2008
Keyon Dooling, alternately angered and philosophical in the last few days, said Tuesday that he knew from the beginning that contract talks between he and the Orlando Magic were not going to lead to a return to Orlando.

The club signed veteran Anthony Johnson on Tuesday to fill the back-up point-guard role behind starter Jameer Nelson. Johnson accepted a two-year deal woth $3.8 million --- the same offer that Dooling rejected some time ago.

"It was a conflict of interest. The Magic had a certain amount of money and I didn't fit into their plans," Dooling said by phone. "There's no ill will."

But Dooling was upset in several conversations with the Sentinel over the weekend, although he requested that his remarks not be published.

The Magic had offered him the biannual exception --- a two-year deal worth about $3.8 million. He made $3.5 million last season.

He felt Orlando's offer was not in line of a 28-year-old in the prime of his career.

"They made an offer --- and we rejected it," he said Tuedsay. "It's a part of the business. I don't know if they thought it was like a courtesy thing to offer me that or what, but we were never on the same page."

Dooling, who played for the Magic for the past three seasons, told the Sentinel last week that he didn't believe he would be returning to Orlando.

"I think I left my mark there as a player and in the community," he said. "I really enjoyed my time there. Orlando will always have a place in my heart. I wish it could have worked out. But it's part of the business. It is what it is."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-orlando-magic-keyon-dooling-071508,0,3501197.story

JamStone
07-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Dooling would be a nice fit in Portland. Help add depth to their dynasty.

jacobdrj
07-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Magic Depth chart right now at PG
AJ>JN>CA

LOL...
These guys need half-decent point guard... and fast.

Strange how the NBA has had a crazy influx of PG talent the past 2 seasons, and the Magic have missed the boat. A Rondo/Billups type PG is all that stands between the Magic and being true contenders. JN is KILLING them in the long run.
It was like when the Pistons relied on Chucky. He was great in spurts, but could simply not keep up defensively against any real PG's, i.e. Kenny Anderson for Boston...

manufor3
07-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Magic Depth chart right now at PG
AJ>JN>CA

LOL...
These guys need half-decent point guard... and fast.

Strange how the NBA has had a crazy influx of PG talent the past 2 seasons, and the Magic have missed the boat. A Rondo/Billups type PG is all that stands between the Magic and being true contenders. JN is KILLING them in the long run.
It was like when the Pistons relied on Chucky. He was great in spurts, but could simply not keep up defensively against any real PG's, i.e. Kenny Anderson for Boston...

jn is before aj in the depth chart

angelbelow
07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
where do you guys think dooling will go? i think he could help out quite a few teams. my guess is to the heat since they need a pg badly.

jacobdrj
07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
jn is before aj in the depth chart

Sarcasm. But it isn't as far off as it should be. AJ can at least pretend to guard the PG position (while protecting the ball, and doing nothing else), while JN will score, but be a Nash-sized black hole on defense, with fewer points and assists and a lower FG%...

Kobulingam
07-15-2008, 11:33 PM
He's worth more than the 1.9 million they offered him. That offer should have pissed him off.