PDA

View Full Version : Ted Nugent

alamo50
07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Any Nugent fans in here?
I never even heard of the guy before last Sunday when I saw him perform live at the festival in my hometown.

Damn, I was just truly blown away by his rock & roll and became an instant fan. Let me hear from you what his rep is in Texas?

http://www.bospop.nl/internet/Gallery/GalleryImage10227.ashx

thispego
07-15-2008, 12:58 PM
WTF how old are you? You never heard of Nuge until last week? Weird.

balli
07-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Nugent's a batshit crazy, right-wing kook and IMHO, his music sucks.

leemajors
07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Nugent's a batshit crazy, right-wing kook and IMHO, his music sucks.

Did you give your damn yankees album away, or just hide it?

Duff McCartney
07-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't listen to right wing rednecks. Nugent is a tool and his music is horrible.

JoeChalupa
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
The youngsters don't know what good rock is. I've been rockin' to the Motor City Madman for decades. I don't give a crap about his political views. Have seen him live many times. :tu :tu Live Gonzo is the shit.

07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
http://media.fanfire.com/images/product/large/NUG/NUGBK001.jpg

Dude has a good cookbook too.

balli
07-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Good rock is Zeppelin, Dylan, Neil Young, GNR and The Boss.

Bad rock is Foghat, Skynard, BTO, KISS and Ted Nugent.

I know a lot of people consider that simplistic rockabilly/quasi-blues type garbage to be "real" rock, but in my opinion, it's just the dregs of music.

JoeChalupa
07-15-2008, 02:14 PM

I know a lot of people consider that simplistic rockabilly/quasi-blues type garbage to be "real" rock, but in my opinion, it's just the dregs of music.

I respect your opinion and when it comes to music that is all it really is. I would put all those bands as good classic rock. But to each his own.

But you are wrong. :lol

thispego
07-15-2008, 02:28 PM

:wow oh shit you just lost all credibiity with me

Spurminator
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
G'n'R, stylistically speaking, probably fits better with the second group of bands.

thispego
07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
true

balli
07-15-2008, 02:59 PM
G'n'R, stylistically speaking, probably fits better with the second group of bands.

Stylistically yes, talent wise no.

I know GNR's glam rock and that's closer to butt/classic rock than it is to Dylan for example, but given their talented musical level I put them in the first group. Anybody with a beefy sound and a few blues licks could do what Nugent does. Slash, on the other hand, is actually, y'know, talented.

Evan
07-15-2008, 03:02 PM
The dude is a stinking liberal pro drug PETA freak and he wants to take away guns from everyone and make them illegal.

JoeChalupa
07-15-2008, 03:04 PM

I know GNR's glam rock and that's closer to butt/classic rock than it is to Dylan for example, but given their talented musical level I put them in the first group. Anybody with a beefy sound and a few blues licks could do what Nugent does. Slash, on the other hand, is actually, y'know, talented.

I don't even consider Slash that great a guitar player.

07-15-2008, 03:06 PM

So how long ago was it exactly that you lost your hearing?

balli
07-15-2008, 03:15 PM
I don't even consider Slash that great a guitar player.

What? Get in the Ring, Rocket Queen, The Garden, Civil War- Slash is the shit. I don't know, maybe my opinion of him is over-rated, I've never played much GNR and they did have a bunch of rhythm guitars going, but I know I'd have a hard time busting off some of the shit Slash does.

Listen to about 6:30-7:00 of this song. That's legit guitar mastery right thur.
JsPv07PTor8

JoeChalupa
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
What? Get in the Ring, Rocket Queen, The Garden, Civil War- Slash is the shit. I don't know, maybe my opinion of him is over-rated, I've never played much GNR and they did have a bunch of rhythm guitars going, but I know I'd have a hard time busting off some of the shit Slash does.

JsPv07PTor8

Meh. But that is just me.

Solid D
07-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I remember first hearing Ted when he was "Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes". If you think about it, he was really one of the few American rock guitarists during the time all of the British epic guitarists were ruling the day (Beck, Clapton, Blackmore, Page, Hendrix, even Frampton a little later).

Nowadays, you we see him more on tv hunting birds and deer.

JoeChalupa
07-15-2008, 04:58 PM
I remember first hearing Ted when he was "Ted Nugent and the Amboy Dukes". If you think about it, he was really one of the few American rock guitarists during the time all of the British epic guitarists were ruling the day (Beck, Clapton, Blackmore, Page, Hendrix, even Frampton a little later).

:tu

travis2
07-16-2008, 06:25 AM

ummmmm...Jimi Hendrix was American...

DarkReign
07-16-2008, 08:54 AM
ummmmm...Jimi Hendrix was American...

...who never got noticed until he moved to London...

alamo50
07-16-2008, 09:03 AM
WTF how old are you? You never heard of Nuge until last week? Weird.

31, which makes me from ´77.
Is that a good excuse for a guy in The Netherlands not knowing about The Nuge up till now?

lebomb
07-16-2008, 09:17 AM

All the above sucks ass. :rolleyes

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Nugent is overrated.

Cat Scratch Fever is one of the worst songs ever made.

AlamoSpursFan
07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Love The Whackmaster!

Great White Buffalo is one of my all time favorite songs.

thispego
07-16-2008, 10:04 AM
All the above sucks ass. :rolleyes

yeah dog. it'd probably be pretty funny to hear what bands you do like

thispego
07-16-2008, 10:06 AM
31, which makes me from ´77.
Is that a good excuse for a guy in The Netherlands not knowing about The Nuge up till now?

haha well, just makes me wonder who else you haven't heard of.

Sunshine
07-16-2008, 10:11 AM
I was never a big fan of his until I saw him live...wow. Of course, I was a teenager in the late 70's/early 80's so he was still in his hay day and it was more about his music than his political views, etc. But...I readily admit that I have watched, and enjoy, his hunting shows.

degenerate_gambler
07-16-2008, 10:42 AM
nothing beats ted's blood curdling scream in a dark Hemisfair Arena and his subsequent swinging down to the stage on a vine in a loincloth with a spotlight on him while a roadie tosses him his axe as breaks into Wango Tango...

PEP
07-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I was never a big fan of his until I saw him live...wow. Of course, I was a teenager in the late 70's/early 80's so he was still in his hay day and it was more about his music than his political views, etc. But...I readily admit that I have watched, and enjoy, his hunting shows.

Shit, my first concert was when I was 7 or 8, my parents took me to a KISS concert at Hemisfair. WTF were they thinking???

dickface
07-16-2008, 11:22 AM

JsPv07PTor8

guitar wankery, nothing more.

GnR sucks, and so does Slash

whottt
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Nugent kicks ass...IMO, he's the best live guitarist ever. He's definitely the best that I've ever seen, and I've seen many.

Other things I learned from this thread...

ballijuana is an idiot who lets a person's political view bias his views of their music...that makes him an intolerant bigot as well as an idiot.

If I let the political views of musicians influence my appreciation of their music(or artists art etc) I wouldn't like very much music.

Frankly speaking...Ted Nugent kicks the shiit out of Lynyrd Skynyrd G'N'R and most of the other bands ballijuana listed.

Secondly...I don't know what makes you think Lynyrd Skynyrd are a bunch of left wingers...we'll just chalk it up to ignorance, which is easy to do in your case.

Bt basically...you respect heroin addicts and wife beaters over a guy that is pro-American...

Yeah..you got your head on straight.

pee wee doesn't know good muisc.

Evan is a incomprehensible idiot..I have no idea what point he was making but if it had anything to do with Nugent he was wrong.

And the guy loves his country...and is proud of it, the fact that some Americans would actually hold that against him says more about how worthless they are then it does anything about Nugent. You aren't enlightened...you're just bigoted.

PS: David Robinson loves his country too, so does Gregg Popovich, San Antonio is a military town.....so why don't you stop being a Spurs fan you stupid piece of bandwaggoning shit. I know, I know...that's different right?

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Nugent licks Slash's balls.

whottt
07-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Hey ballijuana...

Does it bother you when Manu wraps himself in the Argie Flag and rates playing for the Argie national team more important than winning an NBA gold? Do you consider him a flag waiving nationalist fascist? What about when Parker does it? What about Duncan's loyalty to the VI?

Does it bother you when those guys love and support their country, or just when Americans do it? I know...but it makes you sound so smart to make those sorts of comments.

Idiot. Hypocrite. Idiot.

alamo50
07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
haha well, just makes me wonder who else you haven't heard of.

Try me, I've seen many perform live.
Neill Young, Carlos Santana and ZZ Top were others that played the festival over here last weekend.

midgetonadonkey
07-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Peewee listens to Fleetwood Mac.

thispego
07-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Peewee listens to Fleetwood Mac.

Fleetwood Mac is the shit too

whottt
07-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Nugent licks Slash's balls.

Uh no....Ted Nugent has forgotten more about playing the guitar than Slash will ever know...and that's not a knock on Slash who is a fantastic guitarist...but he's not in Nugent's league. Very few are...Hendrix, Clapton...it's that kind of company, with the exception that Nugent is definitely better live than Clapton and probably better than the heroined out Hendrix was...the Isle of Wight vidoes I've seen(or maybe it was the Montery Pop fest)Nugent kicked Hendrix off the stage.

thispego
07-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Try me, I've seen many perform live.

hmm, just weird that you had never even heard of him. Had you at least heard his music?

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Uh no....Ted Nugent has forgotten more about playing the guitar than Slash will ever know...and that's not a knock on Slash who is a fantastic guitarist...but he's not in Nugent's league. Very few are...Hendrix, Clapton...it's that kind of company, with the exception that Nugent is definitely better live than Clapton and probably better than the heroined out Hendrix was...the Isle of Wight vidoes I've seen(or maybe it was the Montery Pop fest)Nugent kicked Hendrix off the stage.

You're just insane.

alamo50
07-16-2008, 05:33 PM
hmm, just weird that you had never even heard of him. Had you at least heard his music?

Nope, but I am a fan now!
Searching on YouTube for his masterpieces, I did come accross some radio outtakes and his voice does seem familiar to me as I think I listened to his shows while driving through Texas with my friends the 5 times I was up there.

I am realy surprised about me not knowing about The Nuge too, especialy because I have a very broad taste in music ranging from Aerosmith to Delinquent Habits to Muse to Busta Rhymes and as I said having seen many live performances at numerous festivals and single concerts.

whottt
07-16-2008, 05:42 PM
You're just insane.

Have you ever seen Nugent in concert, yes or no?

I'm not talking about now that he's sixty...I'm talking about when he used to jump off 10-12 foot amps in concert stuff like that...

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Have you ever seen Nugent in concert, yes or no?

I'm not talking about now that he's sixty...I'm talking about when he used to jump off 10-12 foot amps in concert stuff like that...

Yes, I have.

And, I think Slash is a much better guitarist.
Eric Clapton is a much better guitarist than Nugent, as well.

whottt
07-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Nope, but I am a fan now!
Searching on YouTube for his masterpieces, I did come accross some radio outtakes and his voice does seem familiar to me as I think I listened to his shows while driving through Texas with my friends the 5 times I was up there.

I am realy surprised about me not knowing about The Nuge too, especialy because I have a very broad taste in music ranging from Aerosmith to Delinquent Habits to Muse to Busta Rhymes and as I said having seen many live performances at numerous festivals and single concerts.

IF his voice sounds familiar it's probably because it's not his voice...he's not really a singer, although he will sing lead from time to time...but he more often than not has a lead singer both on tour and in studio.

IF you ever hear Ted and he sounds like Meatloaf...that because it is Meatloaf...who did most of the lead vocals on Free for All...the rest of the time it's probably Derek St. Holmes...if you hear Great White Buffalo, that's Ted. I think he always sings that one himself.

whottt
07-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Yes, I have.

And, I think Slash is a much better guitarist.

You think wrong...he's not.

Eric Clapton is a much better guitarist than Nugent, as well.

Yeah...but not live.

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
You think wrong...he's not.

It is you who thinks wrong.

Maybe if Slash ran around with a raccon tail tacked to his ass you'd appreciate him more.

Gimmicks must go a long way with you.

midgetonadonkey
07-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Maybe if Slash ran around with a raccon tail tacked to his ass you'd appreciate him more.

Slash has a gimmick. The long curley hair and the top hat.

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Slash has a gimmick. The long curley hair and the top hat.

But, he doesn't have any animal parts protruding from his person.

Hats are totally appropriate.
As for his hair . . . he's half black, what's a nigga gonna do?

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 06:16 PM
The long curley hair and the top hat.

3/4s of your Reggae idols would be classified as gimmicky because of thier hair, using your rationale.

midgetonadonkey
07-16-2008, 06:20 PM
But still the "look" he has is a gimmick. Especially the hat.

midgetonadonkey
07-16-2008, 06:21 PM
3/4s of your Reggae idols would be classified as gimmicky because of thier hair, using your rationale.

I'm not arguing against gimmicks, I'm just stating the fact that Slash is just as gimmicky as Nugent.

whottt
07-16-2008, 06:22 PM

Slash is awesome...he's the best guitarist of his generation, but he's not in Nugent's league...and he's definitely not in Nugent's league as a live performer.

Do yourself a favor...go see Nugent before he gets too old, he's a whole different level of performer than guys like Clap and Slash live. Whole different level...and since he's not usually on heroine or drunk, he doesn't have off shows where he sounds like total shit like Slash and Clapton have done many times.

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
But still the "look" he has is a gimmick. Especially the hat.

You're reggae idols don't have a look, what with the dredlocks and what not?

Well, at least Slash doesn't have racoon tails hanging out of his ass.

Next thing you know, rockin' with deer antlers will be the coolest thing ever and make guitarists the best ever.

whottt
07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
I say this as one of the biggest Zep fans ever...Jimmy Page does not even belong on the same stage as Ted Nugent live.

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Slash is awesome...he's the best guitarist of his generation, but he's not in Nugent's league...and he's definitely not in Nugent's league as a live performer.

Do yourself a favor...go see Nugent before he gets too old, he's a whole different level of performer than guys like Clap and Slash live. Whole different level...and since he's not usually on heroine or drunk, he doesn't have off shows where he sounds like total shit like Slash and Clapton have done many times.

You've enver seen Slash or Clapton if you believe that.

Explain why Nugent is so much better than Slash, or Clapton for that matter.

What does he do so different?

His music is nowhere as melodoic or complex as Slash or Clapton.
That's not even close.

whottt
07-16-2008, 06:25 PM
FYI...Heroine isn't a performance enhancing drug...not even for guitiarists.

midgetonadonkey
07-16-2008, 06:27 PM
You're reggae idols don't have a look, what with the dredlocks and what not?

Well, at least Slash doesn't have racoon tails hanging out of his ass.

Next thing you know, rockin' with deer antlers will be the coolest thing ever and make guitarists the best ever.

Dreadlocks are worn because of their culture/religion. Slash wears his hair like that and wears a top hat because he is trying to maintain his image.

WTF? I'm arguing about hair? This is the gayest conversation ever.

peewee's lovechild
07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
WTF? I'm arguing about hair? This is the gayest conversation ever.

The fact that you brought it up says a lot about you.

balli
07-16-2008, 06:33 PM
FYI...Heroine isn't a performance enhancing drug...not even for guitiarists.

http://supermanofsteel.com/Pictures/supergirl%202.jpg ?

whottt
07-16-2008, 07:21 PM
You've enver seen Slash or Clapton if you believe that.

:lol Dude...GnR was at their peak in my heyday as a metal head...I saw them a bunch. Before they were even popular. I saw them with Metallica, without...Slash got his ass kicked off the stage every time I saw them with other major acts. Kirk Hammet destroyed him...fuck the Faith No More Guitarist destroyed him.

Slash has stage fright or something and so he gets completely fucking wasted...in fact he's sucked every time I've seen him live and I rate him as probably the worst live guitarist in history.

GnR sucked live...and most of all Slash sucked live. Dude is always drunk or drugged out...and he doesn't do shit except stand there and play...sloppy.

Slash's talent as a guiatarist is as a mimic...he is extremely versatile in the number and styles of guitarits he can mimic...but he's never truly had his own sound or an original style. He's a copycat...this is not to say he isn't talented, because it takes talent to copy all the guys he can copy...but he's doesn't ever give you anything you haven't seen before.

I've seen Claptop probably 6 times and he's better than most but basically he just stands there and plays cookie cutter versions of his songs, playing them as fast as he can so he can get paid and GTFO the stage. He very seldom diverges from what you know...

On top of that, I've seen him off key and fucking up songs on more than one occassion, although to be fair, as he got off heroin he stopped doing that as much.

But Clapton too doesn't do jack shit but stand there and play.

As a guitairist though Clapton has few peers.

Explain why Nugent is so much better than Slash, or Clapton for that matter.What does he do so different?

Well #1 because you have absolutely no clue what he is going to fucking do.

#2. His guitar sounds like no one else I've ever heard(because not many guys play a hollowbody), and he gets fucking sounds out of it that I've never heard anyone else get...and this is his studio shit...

You go see him live and he will really make his guitar put out sounds you have never heard before, it's just not natural what he does...and he's not using pedals or jack shit most of the time...he's very Hendrix-esque in that way...

On top of that he's fucking flawless, he never fucks up, his shit is precise and clean and he fucking goes off...

Beyond that, the mother fucker jumps off speakers, fucks his guitar(or sometimes groupies) on stage, he swings across the stage...and he never a beat.

But even if he didn't do that shit...no one shows were as loud as Nugent's were...you get your ass blown out of the water just based on sheer loudness...

True fact: Nugent once held the Guiness Book of World Records for the loudest outdoot concert in history...he was receiving complaints from 27 miles away or some shit like that.

His music is nowhere as melodoic or complex as Slash or Clapton.
That's not even close.
Clapton is like a guitar god but live his music isn't fucking complex and if it is it's because he's got 5 other guitarists on stage with him.

Slash's shit is usually ripped off from other guitarists. While the number of guitarists he can rip off is impressive...he's still ripping htem off.

Hendrix shit wasn't that complex either...didn't mean he didn't kick the shit out of every other guitarist of his generation...Nugent is similar. He can do polished heavily engineered delicate shit...he did it with Damn Yankees...in fact I think the whole reason he was in Damn Yankees was to prove he could do it.

But that's not who and what he really is...what he is, is a dude that just walks out there and tears it up...what you hear on the record is what you get live, only better, and to the nth degree...in a way you haven't heard it before.

Not that I'm big on speed either...but Nugent's a hundred times faster than Slash or Clapton...and he makes fewer mistakes.

Nugent is on the fringe of music not because of his musicianship, but because of his mouth and the vulgar nature of his songs...he's just not quite civilized enough for the rest of the music world...and this was always true. And he is an asshole without peer...even to other musicians. That's why he's not popular...

He's kinda like Dennis Rodman in that, he's not the type of dude anyone can be comfortable around. And he doesn't needs drugs because he's fucking outthere without them.

Do not fuck with what you do not understand...the Ted is in a league of his own and I would label him as the greatest live guitarist I have ever seen, in a second.

alamo50
07-17-2008, 03:28 AM
IF his voice sounds familiar it's probably because it's not his voice...he's not really a singer, although he will sing lead from time to time...but he more often than not has a lead singer both on tour and in studio.

IF you ever hear Ted and he sounds like Meatloaf...that because it is Meatloaf...who did most of the lead vocals on Free for All...the rest of the time it's probably Derek St. Holmes...if you hear Great White Buffalo, that's Ted. I think he always sings that one himself.

Well I heard him sing live last Sunday.
I was talking about I heard him talk on YouTube and his voice sounds familiar to a voice of a radio talkshow host on the radio while being in Texas.

peewee's lovechild
07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
:lol Dude...GnR was at their peak in my heyday as a metal head...I saw them a bunch. Before they were even popular. I saw them with Metallica, without...Slash got his ass kicked off the stage every time I saw them with other major acts. Kirk Hammet destroyed him...fuck the Faith No More Guitarist destroyed him.

Slash has stage fright or something and so he gets completely fucking wasted...in fact he's sucked every time I've seen him live and I rate him as probably the worst live guitarist in history.

GnR sucked live...and most of all Slash sucked live. Dude is always drunk or drugged out...and he doesn't do shit except stand there and play...sloppy.

Slash's talent as a guiatarist is as a mimic...he is extremely versatile in the number and styles of guitarits he can mimic...but he's never truly had his own sound or an original style. He's a copycat...this is not to say he isn't talented, because it takes talent to copy all the guys he can copy...but he's doesn't ever give you anything you haven't seen before.

I've seen Claptop probably 6 times and he's better than most but basically he just stands there and plays cookie cutter versions of his songs, playing them as fast as he can so he can get paid and GTFO the stage. He very seldom diverges from what you know...

On top of that, I've seen him off key and fucking up songs on more than one occassion, although to be fair, as he got off heroin he stopped doing that as much.

But Clapton too doesn't do jack shit but stand there and play.

As a guitairist though Clapton has few peers.

Well #1 because you have absolutely no clue what he is going to fucking do.

#2. His guitar sounds like no one else I've ever heard(because not many guys play a hollowbody), and he gets fucking sounds out of it that I've never heard anyone else get...and this is his studio shit...

You go see him live and he will really make his guitar put out sounds you have never heard before, it's just not natural what he does...and he's not using pedals or jack shit most of the time...he's very Hendrix-esque in that way...

On top of that he's fucking flawless, he never fucks up, his shit is precise and clean and he fucking goes off...

Beyond that, the mother fucker jumps off speakers, fucks his guitar(or sometimes groupies) on stage, he swings across the stage...and he never a beat.

But even if he didn't do that shit...no one shows were as loud as Nugent's were...you get your ass blown out of the water just based on sheer loudness...

True fact: Nugent once held the Guiness Book of World Records for the loudest outdoot concert in history...he was receiving complaints from 27 miles away or some shit like that.

Clapton is like a guitar god but live his music isn't fucking complex and if it is it's because he's got 5 other guitarists on stage with him.

Slash's shit is usually ripped off from other guitarists. While the number of guitarists he can rip off is impressive...he's still ripping htem off.

Hendrix shit wasn't that complex either...didn't mean he didn't kick the shit out of every other guitarist of his generation...Nugent is similar. He can do polished heavily engineered delicate shit...he did it with Damn Yankees...in fact I think the whole reason he was in Damn Yankees was to prove he could do it.

But that's not who and what he really is...what he is, is a dude that just walks out there and tears it up...what you hear on the record is what you get live, only better, and to the nth degree...in a way you haven't heard it before.

Not that I'm big on speed either...but Nugent's a hundred times faster than Slash or Clapton...and he makes fewer mistakes.

Nugent is on the fringe of music not because of his musicianship, but because of his mouth and the vulgar nature of his songs...he's just not quite civilized enough for the rest of the music world...and this was always true. And he is an asshole without peer...even to other musicians. That's why he's not popular...

He's kinda like Dennis Rodman in that, he's not the type of dude anyone can be comfortable around. And he doesn't needs drugs because he's fucking outthere without them.

Do not fuck with what you do not understand...the Ted is in a league of his own and I would label him as the greatest live guitarist I have ever seen, in a second.

All Hendrix had was a wa-wa pedal.

But, anyway, you seem to be the kind of guy who likes the speed factor and gimmicks. Which, if you like that kind of thing, is all right.

I'm more into musicianship and art.
Guitaritsts like Slash and Clapton are artisits.

They don't have to run around acting crazy and shit. It's amazing how some stupid bullshit like "Hey, I'm running around acting a fool with a racoons tail hanging out of my ass!!!" can make someone go ape shit. Also, quick guitar work doesn't = good music, or any kind of special skills.

But, to each their own.

leemajors
07-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Not that I'm big on speed either...

07-17-2008, 09:41 AM
This Slash/Nuge argument had me remembering when I saw GnR open for AC/DC at the Shoreline Ampitheater in Mountain View California in the late 80's.

I remember towards the end of their set, Slash was dicking around and started playing the opening riff to "Cat Scratch Fever".

The crowd went apeshit for it, but when he tried to move to another GnR song he got booed. If I remember right, they walked off the stage shortly after that.

whottt
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
This Slash/Nuge argument had me remembering when I saw GnR open for AC/DC at the Shoreline Ampitheater in Mountain View California in the late 80's.

I remember towards the end of their set, Slash was dicking around and started playing the opening riff to "Cat Scratch Fever".

The crowd went apeshit for it, but when he tried to move to another GnR song he got booed. If I remember right, they walked off the stage shortly after that.

Sounds like a typical GnR show...either they are too fucked up to play, or they aren't fucked up and get pissed off and leave.

whottt
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
All Hendrix had was a wa-wa pedal.

But, anyway, you seem to be the kind of guy who likes the speed factor and gimmicks. Which, if you like that kind of thing, is all right.

Yeah because Free for All, Little Miss Dangerous and Stranglehold are iconic examples of speed metal :rolleyes

I'm more into musicianship and art.
Guitaritsts like Slash and Clapton are artisits.

And Nugent is that....pity you don't see it.

They don't have to run around acting crazy and shit.

Hey...if all they are going to do is stand there in a drunken stupor and play shittier version of their recorded songs...what's the point of going to see them live?

It's amazing how some stupid bullshit like "Hey, I'm running around acting a fool with a racoons tail hanging out of my ass!!!" can make someone go ape shit.

It's showmanship....even Hendrix did it.

Also, quick guitar work doesn't = good music, or any kind of special skills.

But, to each their own.

Right...and Nugent isn't about playing as fast as he can....just because he is fast doesn't mean that's what he sells himself on...it just means he is fast, and he can play some pretty intricate songs extremely fast, and that is impressive musicianship.

whottt
07-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Would it have been better if I'd said I'm not that high on speed?

leemajors
07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Would it have been better if I'd said I'm not that high on speed?

i was pointing out what peewee obviously missed - peewee got the impression you are in yngwie fan. i agree with you about slash - people basically like the way he looks, and he holds his guitar like it's his penis. the nugent is obviously a showman. same reason i always liked to see Reverend Horton Heat - he's an entertainer, and there's nary a dull moment at one of his shows.

Spurminator
07-17-2008, 11:38 AM
It is impressive that he can play while holding a cigarette in his mouth without choking. I can never do that. But maybe that's why he always plays near a fan.

purist
07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
The youngsters don't know what good rock is. I've been rockin' to the Motor City Madman for decades. I don't give a crap about his political views. Have seen him live many times. :tu :tu Live Gonzo is the shit.

Amen, brutha.

so is SKynard.

me thinks folks confuse rock capability with political views that don't jibe with theirs.

Remember seeing Nugent at hemisfair with Scorpions and an up an comer opening act ... Def Leppard.

ps. as a pure guitarist eddie van halen kicks slash's ass all day long

leemajors
07-18-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/07/18/beer-for-my-horses-poster.jpg

nuge with a knife!

curtismedellin
07-21-2008, 12:39 AM
+1