PDA

View Full Version : How much will Ian and George help next year??

spurman20
07-15-2008, 03:13 PM
After watching Ian and George Hill last night how much do you think they will be able to help the spurs next year.

BruceLeeBowen
07-15-2008, 03:17 PM
They wont help at all.

coopdogg3
07-15-2008, 03:18 PM
They'll help more this year than they did last year.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Still gotta wait. Both still have more up their sleeve.

ChumpDumper
07-15-2008, 03:19 PM
They all have a lot of work to do. There is potential though.

mexicanjunior
07-15-2008, 03:20 PM
From what I've seen so far, they look like spot players mostly. I don't see either of them playing significant minutes down the stretch or in the playoffs...

SPURSGOAT
07-15-2008, 03:39 PM
don't forget about Gist! I think that by the all-star break they will have a good feel for the rotation and plays and be more comfortable. I believe they will help us a great deal in the playoffs. But lots to learn still.. and wait for next season too.. will be better.

xtremesteven33
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
cant expect too much in thier rookie year. but i do expect some kind of help. i think Hill will be a solid backup for the next couple of years.

and mahimni i fear could be another Elson. he will have potential but probably just not get it in the long run.

spurman20
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
don't forget about Gist! I think that by the all-star break they will have a good feel for the rotation and plays and be more comfortable. I believe they will help us a great deal in the playoffs.

Yeah I like Gist, dont know why he didnt get more burn last night.....3 blks that really impressed me. Didnt get into foul trouble I think he has a shot at being in our rotation next yr.

Ian looked lost at times and was boxed our way to easy. He doesnt finish strong, didnt block any shots and plays de without moving his feet sometimes. Thats a concern as I think the spurs need him to be a 16 min pr game player next yr.

Hill needs to look to score more.

Hairston looked very bad but I think he will bounce back, not sure he really has a chance to make our roster,

I also like whats his name tolliver??? The 6-8 250 lb guy he can play!

George Gervin's Afro
07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Of the two Hill has the best opportunity to make a difference. If all goes well with Mahini I see that cat being a major contributor not next season but the following one.

hater
07-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Ian needs to do well immediately. especially next to Duncan. even Oberto looks sort of OK next to Duncan so Ian needs to kick ass or we are screwed.

he would have a lot of trouble if he did not have Duncan to play next to tough

Hill has potential but I agree he is more like a long term project

rj215
07-15-2008, 03:51 PM
I think like most players that join the Spurs it'll take them half a season or more before they can contribute at a decent level...even seasoned vets like Kurt and Fin-Dog took a while to get the system...

ChumpDumper
07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah I like Gist, dont know why he didnt get more burn last night.I think he proved all he needed to for game one.

I also like whats his name tolliver??? The 6-8 250 lb guy he can play!He played pretty well in the D-League and Germany last season:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/index.jsp?player=anthony_tolliver

http://statistik.basketball-bundesliga.de/bbl/teams/info.php?team=439&show=3&saisonx=2007

MarCowMar
07-15-2008, 04:00 PM
Hill's rebounding, defense, and hustle should be enough to convince Pop to give him 10 mins a game this year.

Ian still just looks completely unfamiliar with the game of basketball. It's like he's thinking about every step and movement he makes. Nothing he does looks natural. Robotic is the word someone used in the summer league thread. Except one thing: his jumper looks very good. He does strike me as a guy who might all of a sudden just "get it" though.

tav1
07-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Hill's rebounding, defense, and hustle should be enough to convince Pop to give him 10 mins a game this year.

Ian still just looks completely unfamiliar with the game of basketball. It's like he's thinking about every step and movement he makes. Nothing he does looks natural. Robotic is the word someone used in the summer league thread. Except one thing: his jumper looks very good. He does strike me as a guy who might all of a sudden just "get it" though.

I think Hill should get 15 minutes per game--he need's the burn to refine his game and Parker needs to keep his legs fresh from May and June.

spurman20
07-15-2008, 04:23 PM
I hope Ian gets it. I thought he would be futher along in his development by now. His D even seems weak at times and he tries to avoid contact. On his jumps he looked like he was glued to the floor, I thought he would be much more of a shot blocker.

We will see what he does tonight. I was hoping we could count on him for 10ppg 8 rpg and 2 bls this year...I think that might be stretching it a bit.

THE SAMOAN TD
07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
I disagree with critisism of ian hes got all the tools to be a very good player with his althetisism he would be great with TD down in the paint and his jump shoot looks very smooth with a lil more experience hes gonna be ah BEAST IN THE PAINT

timvp
07-15-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm pretty confident Hill will play 15 minutes a night as the backup point guard. At worst, he'll provide someone who competes defensively and has a nice jumper offensively.

Mahinmi is more of the unknown. I won't have an answer until after summer league. He's raw and somewhat robotic but he oozes potential. If he can tighten up his game over the next week, I can see him making the rotation this year. If he really shows promise he could vie for a starting spot. I like Mahinmi long range but I'm not 100% he's ready for prime time yet -- but watching him in summer league is going to answer a lot of questions.

angelbelow
07-15-2008, 05:15 PM
they both looked good, they need to continue to improve but id expect both to contribute in some sort of way.

Spurtacus
07-15-2008, 05:39 PM
They both looked good last night. Lets see how they do in the remaining SL games.

lrrr
07-15-2008, 06:20 PM
How are Ian's hands? Can he catch an entry pass?

the most important thing for Ian right now is to get lots of time playing organized ball. He looks lost because he has only played one D-league season with regular minutes. As everyone says, he has the athleticism and potential needed. Now he just needs the playing time. If he has good hands, that completes the package.

montgod
07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Both look like they are going to mainly help the team in.... practice.

O-Factor
07-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Both are all potential right now. Hopefully they show enough to make the roster and develop from there into solid players for our team.

mrspurs
07-16-2008, 07:52 AM
I hope Ian gets it. I thought he would be futher along in his development by now. His D even seems weak at times and he tries to avoid contact. On his jumps he looked like he was glued to the floor, I thought he would be much more of a shot blocker.

We will see what he does tonight. I was hoping we could count on him for 10ppg 8 rpg and 2 bls this year...I think that might be stretching it a bit.

i dont see the guy getting enough minutes todo much of anything....ian looks the same as the first time i seen him.....someone said hill was a waste of time...have a look at ian, and he has been around the spurs for yrs....not knocking ian, but the way he plays tells the truth......he isnt ready and might not be ready for yrs...there are a few bigs out there that will put ian on the bench as soon as he hits the court......

Streakyshooter08
07-16-2008, 08:04 AM
I think it is too early to tell the impact Ian and George will have. I think both will get their chance to contribute. If Gist keeps playing like he plays right now he will have a good chance of making the team. If Hairston does not explode he won't be here next year.

That said, I have my doubts that Ian/George will be enough to get the team past the Lakers/Celtics. I don't think both will have that kind of impact. I think you just have to wait and see what they will do in the upcomming games and early next season to make judgement.

Mr. Body
07-16-2008, 08:22 AM
They may play but won't be much impact. These aren't very talented players in the total sense.

Clearly they won't be any impact in the postseason.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
If we're lucky, Mahinmi will average 8 and 5, while Hill averages 7 and 4.

VaSpursFan
07-16-2008, 09:16 AM
pop believes in hill and i think he's going to develop him just like he did with TP. not saying that hill is on the level of TP but I think pop is going to throw him to the wolves and trust him to figure it out.

ian...still waiting for him to realize that he has the skills to dominate and do it.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2008, 10:05 AM
If we're lucky, Mahinmi will average 8 and 5, while Hill averages 7 and 4.

Yeah, 8,5 & 1 is my projection for Mahinmi next season. Hill will probably be around 6 and 2.

GrandeDavid
07-16-2008, 10:11 AM
I thought he was 6 and 10. :p

Mr. Body
07-16-2008, 10:15 AM
We'd be tremendously lucky to get as much as 8 and 5 out of Mahinmi this year.

SenorSpur
07-16-2008, 12:45 PM
It's probably too early to tell right now. We'll have a better gauge after SL concludes. I do believe Pop is committed toward ensuring Hill develops and he'll likely be amenable to force-feeding him minutes. I sure hope so. Same for Ian. Like most first-year players, expect them to have their share of struggles.

As excited as I am about these two additions, I'm just as anxious to watch the development of Gist. I hope he maintains he steady level of high energy, defense and hustle.

callo1
07-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Since we have so much information on him already I think we can be more specific...like how many points he will average over his entire career.

Give me a break with these waste of space threads.

angelbelow
07-16-2008, 12:51 PM
ian needs to play with some agressiveness... he looks like he can play like amare but doesnt have that type of confidence.

xtremesteven33
07-16-2008, 12:57 PM
ian needs to play with some agressiveness... he looks like he can play like amare but doesnt have that type of confidence.

sad to say but Amare looked smarter and more cordinated as a rookie

dbestpro
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Mahini will be in Pop's dog house most of the year. It is the right of passage. If he survives he will have the impact of Parker. If not, then he will be like Udrih. In either case it will take about 3 years for him to make a full impact as a player.

Hill needs to spend the year in the NBDL and learn to play point. He will waste his time at the NBA level. Looks like we still may need a 3rd point guard for this year.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Mahinmi needs time on a NBA court.

Anyways, Spurs fans cry about the Spurs not having young talent.

When the Spurs bring in young talent, Spurs fans cry about that talent not playing like proven veterans.

leemajors
07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
maybe it will deflect attention from the "decline" of manu and TD.