PDA

View Full Version : Ten Players Unlikely To Join The Spurs (Sporting News)

duncan228
07-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Just killing time...:)

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=434888

10 players unlikely to join the Spurs
Stan McNeal

Roger Mason is known for a willingness to work and a desire to do whatever he's asked for the good of the team. Put another way: He'll make an ideal Spur (His ability to back up the point guard position and play shooting guard won't hurt, either). While every team says it values makeup and attitude, the Spurs really do. It's simple, really. As Gregg Popovich once told me, "I don't like to coach ---holes."

Keep that in mind as the Spurs retool their bench this summer. Their goal is to get younger but even more important, they want guys who will make good Spurs. That is, they want guys who will play defense without being prodded, guys who will accept their roles without whining and guys who will handle themselves like professionals.

In other words, not anyone on my list of Players Not Likely Preferred By Popovich (All of whom are available, by the way).

1. Ron Artest. Besides his lengthy list of off-court issues, Artest has been known to participate in shootaround and pregame warm-ups like he's completely fine, only to inform his coach 45 minutes before tipoff that he won't be able to play. That kind of conversation with Popovich would be worth paying to see.

2. Stephon Marbury. He could have tattooed a Spurs logo on his head instead of a Starbury logo and Popovich still wouldn't be interested in the overpaid, malcontent shoot-first point guard. Of course, the Spurs aren't the only ones. There may not be a team in the league interested in Marbury, and that includes his own. You could say, especially his own team.

3. Jamaal Tinsley. As Larry Bird tries to trade his veteran point guard, don't expect him to dial anyone in the 210 area code. Tinsley is as dependable as a paper boy with a flat tire and, making him even a less likely Spur, he's had more than his share of off-the-court problems.

4. Kenyon Martin. His chest-thumping ways would last about as long in San Antonio as an igloo in July.

5. Kwame Brown. When they were Wizards, Michael Jordan once reduced his No. 1 draft pick to tears with a particularly harsh putdown. Well, Brown would not hold up well under Popovich, who rarely passes up an opportunity to practice his sarcasm. Brown also would have trouble sticking with the Spurs because Popovich prefers players who can catch the ball.

6. Damon Jones. It took him three years but one of the game's biggest yakkers has outworn his welcome in Cleveland. It would take about three days for his act to grow old on the laid-back, word-thrifty Spurs.

7. Jason Williams. Forget that his game is in decline. Pop wouldn't want him because he doesn't play defense and he's not much on fundamentals.

8. Vince Carter. If he lost the 'Vinsanity' nickname, decided he's better off driving than hoisting jumpers and displayed the kind of toughness and leadership he did in New Jersey after Jason Kidd was traded, he would be a welcome addition on the Spurs. Well, he would be if he wasn't owed $66-plus million over the next four seasons.

9. Carlos Arroyo. The veteran point guard likes to do things his way. In San Antonio, it's Popovich's way or no way.

10. Darius Miles. He hasn't played in two years because of knee problems and who knows what else but has started working out for teams, and reportedly turned in an impressive showing for the Celtics. Don't expect his tryout tour to make a stop in San Antonio, though. Miles' fists-to-the-head-bump ritual would leave Popovich with a headache he'll be happy to avoid.

Brutalis
07-15-2008, 05:10 PM
:lmao

In 5 years Pop will introduce the "Christian Athlete Alliance". Book it.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2008, 05:10 PM
:tu

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Brown also would have trouble sticking with the Spurs because Popovich prefers players who can catch the ball.

Now I understand why Malik ended up in New York.

T Park
07-15-2008, 05:39 PM
In San Antonio, it's Popovich's way or no way.

Eh, I don't know if I agree with that 100%.

Spurtacus
07-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Ron Artest at #1 :lol

If he can stay sane, that's the only guy from the list I'd want.

bigfan
07-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Good article. All true, though I wish Artest wasnt such an asshole because he can be very good on the court.

jack sommerset
07-15-2008, 05:59 PM
This whole Pop things makes me laugh. Its all about Duncan.

manufor3
07-15-2008, 06:07 PM
:tu

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
:lmao

In 5 years Pop will introduce the "Christian Athlete Alliance". Book it.

You have an erroneous view of Pop.

romad_20
07-15-2008, 06:44 PM
You have an erroneous view of Pop.

I don't think of Pop as the bible thumbing type.

Pero
07-15-2008, 06:52 PM

Unless your last name is Ginobilli. :lol

byrontx
07-15-2008, 06:58 PM
You guys beat me to it but some people like Pop manage to have a strong set of values without going overboard on the Christian stuff.

mystargtr34
07-15-2008, 07:07 PM
I think this whole Spurs only want angels is a bit of a misconception.

I think if the opportunity came up Pop would make a deal for a guy like Artest if it ment increasing our chances of winning.

SenorSpur
07-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Probably could've added Devin Brown to that list - especially in light of his last supposed "dust-up" with head coach Mike Brown.

Don't forget Stevie Franchise too

Whisky Dog
07-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Stephen Jackso... Oh, wait.

Article is off the mark. Most of those guys are busted or chokers. Doesnt matter their personality.

Guajalote
07-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Let's not forget about A.I. The whole "Practice?!" thing would've landed him so far down on the bench, he would have been helping the water boy pass out drinks during time outs.

nil.ball
07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
so basically, spurs = the anti-knicks

rj215
07-16-2008, 01:37 AM
How would Pop handle someone like Kobe? The Mamba's always felt like he's the real coach and GM in L.A. There's always been stories wether official or not where Kobe's talked back to Big Chief Triangle. I wonder if Pop would put up with that more than once? Incredible talent but he might belong on that list too....

Dario
07-16-2008, 02:45 AM
That writer must have been high, every article named Ten Players Unlikely To Join The Spurs should have beno at no1. :D

ChumpDumper
07-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Pop would take Artest.

wisnub
07-16-2008, 02:55 AM
Damn...we're fucked :downspin:

wisnub
07-16-2008, 02:56 AM
i have never seen a player as insecure as Artest...but still Spurs will be better if he's on the mix

your_pimp
07-16-2008, 05:04 AM
Just killing time...:)

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=434888

10 players unlikely to join the Spurs
Stan McNeal

Roger Mason is known for a willingness to work and a desire to do whatever he's asked for the good of the team. Put another way: He'll make an ideal Spur (His ability to back up the point guard position and play shooting guard won't hurt, either). While every team says it values makeup and attitude, the Spurs really do. It's simple, really. As Gregg Popovich once told me, "I don't like to coach ---holes."

Keep that in mind as the Spurs retool their bench this summer. Their goal is to get younger but even more important, they want guys who will make good Spurs. That is, they want guys who will play defense without being prodded, guys who will accept their roles without whining and guys who will handle themselves like professionals.

In other words, not anyone on my list of Players Not Likely Preferred By Popovich (All of whom are available, by the way).

1. Ron Artest. Besides his lengthy list of off-court issues, Artest has been known to participate in shootaround and pregame warm-ups like he's completely fine, only to inform his coach 45 minutes before tipoff that he won't be able to play. That kind of conversation with Popovich would be worth paying to see.

2. Stephon Marbury. He could have tattooed a Spurs logo on his head instead of a Starbury logo and Popovich still wouldn't be interested in the overpaid, malcontent shoot-first point guard. Of course, the Spurs aren't the only ones. There may not be a team in the league interested in Marbury, and that includes his own. You could say, especially his own team.

3. Jamaal Tinsley. As Larry Bird tries to trade his veteran point guard, don't expect him to dial anyone in the 210 area code. Tinsley is as dependable as a paper boy with a flat tire and, making him even a less likely Spur, he's had more than his share of off-the-court problems.

4. Kenyon Martin. His chest-thumping ways would last about as long in San Antonio as an igloo in July.

5. Kwame Brown. When they were Wizards, Michael Jordan once reduced his No. 1 draft pick to tears with a particularly harsh putdown. Well, Brown would not hold up well under Popovich, who rarely passes up an opportunity to practice his sarcasm. Brown also would have trouble sticking with the Spurs because Popovich prefers players who can catch the ball.

6. Damon Jones. It took him three years but one of the game's biggest yakkers has outworn his welcome in Cleveland. It would take about three days for his act to grow old on the laid-back, word-thrifty Spurs.

7. Jason Williams. Forget that his game is in decline. Pop wouldn't want him because he doesn't play defense and he's not much on fundamentals.

8. Vince Carter. If he lost the 'Vinsanity' nickname, decided he's better off driving than hoisting jumpers and displayed the kind of toughness and leadership he did in New Jersey after Jason Kidd was traded, he would be a welcome addition on the Spurs. Well, he would be if he wasn't owed $66-plus million over the next four seasons.

9. Carlos Arroyo. The veteran point guard likes to do things his way. In San Antonio, it's Popovich's way or no way.

10. Darius Miles. He hasn't played in two years because of knee problems and who knows what else but has started working out for teams, and reportedly turned in an impressive showing for the Celtics. Don't expect his tryout tour to make a stop in San Antonio, though. Miles' fists-to-the-head-bump ritual would leave Popovich with a headache he'll be happy to avoid.

The Spurs could not pick up any of these players anyways....

LOL

your_pimp
07-16-2008, 05:05 AM
You'd wish to at least make a try for Artest but I doubt it...

Losers!!!

anakha
07-16-2008, 05:11 AM
:lol at Louis missing the point of the thread.

Brox6
07-16-2008, 05:21 AM
:downspin::downspin::downspin::downspin:

mrspurs
07-16-2008, 07:44 AM
like holt is gonna pay any of these guys big money to play basketball.....holt maybe one cheap son of gun...but he aint stupid

tmtcsc
07-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Probably could've added Devin Brown to that list - especially in light of his last supposed "dust-up" with head coach Mike Brown.

Don't forget Stevie Franchise too

What happened with Coach Brown ?

GSH
07-16-2008, 12:16 PM
"That kind of conversation with Popovich would be worth paying to see."

That comment alone was worth the whole article, because of the mental image. It might be the first time in history for a coach to get ejected during the pre-game. Can't you see Pop looking like he's going to grind his teeth to powder and pop blood vessels in his eyeballs?

For all his talent, and he has a lot, Artest is a fucking fruitcake. And it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't get worse as the pressure increases late in the playoffs. Can you imagine him announcing that he can't play 45 minutes before a playoff game? Pop might actually throw chairs at him like Bobby Knight. At least until his eyeballs exploded.

duncan228
07-16-2008, 07:49 PM
This whole Pop things makes me laugh. Its all about Duncan.

I think it's a blend of both of them. They have a great relationship, they work well together and that goes through the team.