PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Camby to Clipps

Rover82
07-15-2008, 08:48 PM
...and LA it appears will only have to surrender a second round pick! This is in effort to clear cap space.

Wow...did we even make a call?

GhostofAlfrederickHughes
07-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Sure. And I'm sure the Nuggets thought for about 1/2 a nanosecond about trading Camby to the team that has beaten them soundly in the playoffs 2 out the last 3 years.

:ihit

spurman20
07-15-2008, 08:55 PM
What does LA want with Camby? They already have a very good C

Kori Ellis
07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Sources: Nuggets agree to trade Camby to Clippers for second-round pick
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The Los Angeles Clippers, exactly one week after finding out they had lost their face of the franchise, have rebounded with a significant trade acquisition.

The Clippers on Tuesday agreed to terms on a deal with the Denver Nuggets to acquire center Marcus Camby as their replacement for Elton Brand, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Clippers will only have to surrender a future second-round pick to acquire Camby, who is being jettisoned into the Clippers' salary-cap space vacated by Brand to generate payroll relief for the Nuggets.

A trade call with the league to approve the deal has been completed, sources said, clearing the way for the teams to announce the swap later Tuesday.

Camby, 34, is coming off a productive season in which he averaged 9.1 points, 13.1 rebounds and 3.61 blocks for the Nuggets, who won 50 games to claim the final playoff spot in what is regarded as the most competitive conference race in league history.

But the Nuggets have yet to advance out of the first round with their Allen Iverson-Carmelo Anthony-Camby core and, according to sources, opted to shed the remaining two years on Camby's contract (worth nearly $15 million) to create the flexibility that could allow for more changes.

The Nuggets had the league's fourth-highest payroll last season and are required to pay $13,572,079 in luxury taxes for last season by July 23.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3491156

manufor3
07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
What does LA want with Camby? They already have a very good C

wow dude, but now look at there starters-

C- Camby
PF- Kaman
SF- Thornton
SG- Mobley/Gordon
PG- Davis

thekingrobert
07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
teams always seem to get steals, where's ours?

montgod
07-15-2008, 08:59 PM
Crazy trade. So this is our new NBA. Trading a player for nothing.

Either way, the Clipps didn't necessarily get better, they just filled a position.

They have two oft-injured players in Davis and Camby, and two defensive center types in Kaaman and Camby. Interesting makeup of the team. They better hope Thornton and Davis can score in bunches.

The biggest loser are the Knicks who will now have to wonder if they will ever be able to trade Randolph who I think would have been a MUCH better fit in Clipperland even though he is a knucklehead.

spurman20
07-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Kaman is not a PF. Take him away from the basket and he is worthless.

Mister Sinister
07-15-2008, 09:08 PM
See: Ginobili, Manu;

Ocotillo
07-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Stern is on the phone to Denver right now:

"When I said LA, I meant the Lakers dumbshit!"

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2008, 09:21 PM
...and LA it appears will only have to surrender a second round pick! This is in effort to clear cap space.

Wow...did we even make a call?

Yeah, with all that nonexistent cap room we have...

TDMVPDPOY
deal doesnt make any sense from the clippers financial POV....

we all know their owners are the biggest tight asses when it comes to spending...

they got rid of brand, and sign davis, why absorb cambys contract for a latee 2nd rounder, and not expect anything in return besides absorbin a contract and paying the remainder of cambys contract for the year....

looks like some bs is brewing

ChumpDumper
So this is our new NBA. Trading a player for nothing.This isn't new.

DPG21920
Camby would have been a perfect Spur

DPG21920
07-15-2008, 09:22 PM
We could not afford that contract though

ChumpDumper
07-15-2008, 09:22 PM

we all know their owners are the biggest tight asses when it comes to spending...He started spending when he maxed out Brand a few years back. Anyway, this just gets them to the cap itself, Nowhere near the tax.

thekingrobert
07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
See: Ginobili, Manu;

i mean in trade scenarios not drafting

timvp
07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Well it's a good thing the Spurs didn't go after JR Smith. No question they would have matched the offer after this trade.

The Truth #6
07-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Sounds like more hijinx. I wonder when the suitcase full of cash shows up in Denver?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2008, 09:27 PM

we all know their owners are the biggest tight asses when it comes to spending...

they got rid of brand, and sign davis, why absorb cambys contract for a latee 2nd rounder, and not expect anything in return besides absorbin a contract and paying the remainder of cambys contract for the year....

looks like some bs is brewing

It them competitive. Yeah, they're got a cheap owner, but he likes his team to be competitive on the cusp of the playoffs because he makes money when the seats are full.

Now he's got a pretty solid roster that should be fun to watch and will fill up the arena every night. All he has to do is sit back and profit.

Mister Sinister
07-15-2008, 09:28 PM
i mean in trade scenarios not drafting
:downspin: I know. I had to, though.

iggypop123
07-15-2008, 09:28 PM
thanks nuggets. igguadala and josh smith arent coming west and the nuggets became worse. the west all benefits from this

ss1986v2
07-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Well it's a good thing the Spurs didn't go after JR Smith. No question they would have matched the offer after this trade.
this is the exactly what i thought would happen. not the camby-to-la thing specifically (thats a bit out of left field), but the selling assets at $0.60 on the dollar thing. now i thought that it would come later than this, and that they would get a bit more out of the deal (a future 2nd rounder for camby is about $0.15 on the dollar), but it happened regardless.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Clips on the rise. Maybe they'll make the playoffs now.

Tully365
07-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Denver will be the worst defensive team in recent history. I'm relieved I'll won't have to hear another word about how the Spurs should have made JR Smith an offer.

50 cent
07-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Wow. I guess Denver wants to keep JR.

lefty
07-15-2008, 09:36 PM

:lol

anakha
07-15-2008, 09:37 PM

So should the Clippers bandwagon be resurrected? ;)

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2008, 09:38 PM

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-15-2008, 09:38 PM
So should the Clippers bandwagon be resurrected? ;)

Not yet. In due time. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Wow. I guess Denver didn't writing a luxury tax check for $13 million

fify.

timaios
07-15-2008, 09:48 PM

He's unrestricted next year, right ?

:p:

angelbelow
07-15-2008, 09:51 PM

yea thats what i thought too, we would have been screwed.

jack sommerset
07-15-2008, 09:53 PM
poor camby

kolko
07-15-2008, 10:18 PM
It's not for a second round pick but for the rights to exchange second round picks in 2010.

Spurtacus
07-15-2008, 10:19 PM

Camby will go down in the middle of the season. Clippers can't be successful...remember?

angelbelow
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
poor camby

well hes going to a team thats ready to blow. if it doesnt work out the clippers have his expiring. pretty good deal for the clippers and camby should be too mad, hes going to a better tteam than the nuggets.

d-train
07-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Well, Camby is 34, and getting him wouldn't have been in the direction Spurs wants to go - getting younger perhaps??

As with all other things, somebody is going to bitch and moan if we did or did not get him.

jacobdrj
07-15-2008, 10:35 PM

In the 2nd round of the draft.
And you can't hit a home run from the 25-30; 55-60th pick every year.

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm glad the Spurs didn't have JR Smith signed to an offer sheet...

Solid D
07-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Holt tried to get Camby by getting rid of Bookbinder and Guthrie but it wasn't enough. Later, he was informed that those guys don't count against the cap. Good one, Pop! :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Holt tried to get Camby by getting rid of Bookbinder and Guthrie but it wasn't enough. Later, he was informed that those guys don't count against the cap. Good one, Pop! :lol

:lol POTD. "Uh, sorry guys, we've already filled those positions..."

ShoogarBear
07-15-2008, 10:57 PM
It's not for a second round pick but for the rights to exchange second round picks in 2010.

Holy crap. What a joke.

spursjustice
07-15-2008, 10:57 PM

Good call... hahaha

Marcus Bryant
07-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Yet another lux tax special.

timvp
07-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Camby is one of the five most overrated players in the game. I don't think he's worth his contract. If I'm the Clippers with that cap space, I go after about 50 other attainable players before I absorb Camby's contract.

rj215
07-15-2008, 11:16 PM

Not sure if it's been said before but this should just about lock up JR back to the Nuggs...

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
glad he is gone. I was hoping for something i return :lol but hey his contract is off the books and JR is 150% coming back....

I hate the Nuggets relying on Kmart and Nene BUT ive waited a long time to see Nene start at 5.

The Nuggets are better off coz they wont be paying a backup big man anything too high.

Again, i wanted more return but im glad him and his contract is gone.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-16-2008, 12:12 AM
i really dont know much about trades where another player doesn't come back, but does this mean the Nuggets have a big TE that can be used in the next year?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2008, 12:13 AM
i really dont know much about trades where another player doesn't come back, but does this mean the Nuggets have a big TE that can be used in the next year?

Nope, you just cleared cap space, I believe.

SPURSGOAT
07-16-2008, 12:18 AM

:lmao

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-16-2008, 12:22 AM
I love it how alot of people on different forums talk about how this will make the Nuggets worse in defense, but its the same people who used to say his defense was overrated :lol

The Nuggets defense wont get worse coz it cant get any worse :lol

ss1986v2
07-16-2008, 12:45 AM
from my understand, yes. it created a TPE for whatever cambys salary was this season (didnt bother to look it up). its the same thing that happened with the j-rich to the bobcats and the KT to seattle trades.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Yes, they will.

MannyIsGod
07-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Its a damn nice TE to have but with the Nug's payroll so damn high would they bother using it?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-16-2008, 01:38 AM
The Nuggets will receive a $10 million trade exception due to the deal. It can be used for up to a year from the day the trade is completed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nuggets-clipperstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

they wont use it anyway :lol

angelbelow
07-16-2008, 02:03 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nuggets-clipperstrade&prov=ap&type=lgns

they wont use it anyway :lol

yea they probably wont, since they'll likely resign jr smith now. they still need to rid of some bad contracts before they can fully rebuild though.

T Park
07-16-2008, 04:07 AM
Nice trade by the Clippers.

Cue Mr Body and SequSpur asking "Why didn't the Spurs go after this?"

SenorSpur
07-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Still can't believe the league awarded this guy DPOY ahead of Bowen - but I digress

Bruno
07-16-2008, 05:21 AM
I quite like this trade for Clippers.
Camby is at his best when he plays PF with a C able to play in the low post like Nene or Kaman.
The only concern for Clippers is his age and durability, he is still 34 years old.

While Camby is overrated, losing him will hurt the Nuggets. I quite think they will soon rebuild. Anthony, Nene, JR Smith and Linas Kleiza is a good young core.
If they have, as expected, a so-so season and miss the playoffs, I expected Iverson to be traded at the deadline or to sign with another team next summer.

mrspurs
07-16-2008, 08:03 AM

those arent steals.......those are players who spend most of their time on the bench hurt....those are give aways.......

MoSpur
07-16-2008, 08:51 AM
I was talking to my friend the other day telling him that I had nothing to look forward to when it came to my Clippers, but now I do in a way. I will miss Brand and Maggette, but I am a little excited about what the Clippers will look like next season.

VaSpursFan
07-16-2008, 09:21 AM
wow...LA gets all the gifts. first gasol, now camby!

1Parker1
07-16-2008, 09:26 AM
It's a good trade I guess for both parties, esp considering the Nuggets wanted to get rid of cap space and it would be better for them to let Camby go than JR Smith for the long run.

Although, I wonder if they couldn't have gotten a better deal than just a future 2nd round pick.

As for the Clips, their starting 5 is starting to look good, though it's probably still not good enough to make the playoffs in the West. Unless health becomes a serious issue, you can almost certainly pencil in 6 or 7 teams in the West for definitely making the playoffs; Spurs, Lakers, Jazz, Hornets, Phoenix, Dallas/or Rockets, and I think the Blazers have a better shot at making the playoffs next season than teams like Golden State, Clippers, and Nuggets.

1Parker1
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
wow...LA gets all the gifts. first gasol, now camby!

I don't think it's the same at all. Camby is 34 years old, and certainly was not the face of the franchise for the past 3-4 years. Now if they traded away Carmelo Anthony to the Clips for a 2nd round pick, then maybe you can compare it to the Gasol trade. :lol

jacobdrj
07-16-2008, 09:34 AM
I don't think it's the same at all. Camby is 34 years old, and certainly was not the face of the franchise for the past 3-4 years. Now if they traded away Carmelo Anthony to the Clips for a 2nd round pick, then maybe you can compare it to the Gasol trade. :lol

He wasn't their face, but he was their soul. People ooh and aah over the acquisition of Carmelo in the draft in 2003, but the reason for their turn-around had more to do with Marcus Camby coming back than Melo, who was a glorified decoy his rookie season.

Like someone else said, now they will give up 130 instead of 110.

Ocotillo
07-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah, Denver just slipped from the play offs this coming season. Looks like Portland will be happy to take their spot.

bobbybob0
07-16-2008, 09:57 AM
those arent steals.......those are players who spend most of their time on the bench hurt....those are give aways.......

Please get your facts straight before stating something stupid, nba.com player files are available to anyone...

He used to be injury-prone at the beginning of his carreer but his conditionning is much better since arriving in Denver.

Actually he posted carreer-highs in game played and minute played last year.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marcus_camby/career_stats.html

He averages more than 68 GP / year for the last 5 seasons.

TheMadHatter
07-16-2008, 10:05 AM
It seems a lot of people here aren't familiar with salary dumps. The NBA is a business as much as it is a competitive sports league. Not every trade is done for the sake of improving one's team (Gasol trade, this Camby trade, etc.).

1Parker1
07-16-2008, 10:07 AM
He wasn't their face, but he was their soul. People ooh and aah over the acquisition of Carmelo in the draft in 2003, but the reason for their turn-around had more to do with Marcus Camby coming back than Melo, who was a glorified decoy his rookie season.

Like someone else said, now they will give up 130 instead of 110.

He's 34 years old and as great as his "defense" is always claimed to be, he's not going to be a guy who carries your team for you. Gasol was a franchise player and is in his prime, under 30 years old.

GrandeDavid
07-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Nice trade by the Clippers.

Cue Mr Body and SequSpur asking "Why didn't the Spurs go after this?"

Speaking for Sequ, you mean "Why the F--- didn't the Spurs go after this? F---ing ahole morons!" Something like that. :lol

thispego
07-16-2008, 10:08 AM

:clap

spurman20
07-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Denver is a poorly run team. They are now at a 70mil payroll, thin on the front line, starting backcourt is old. Front line injury prone, oh and they go 7 deap!

Can you say lottery pick next year?

clubalien
07-16-2008, 10:37 AM

Brand>camby

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Brand>camby

I know.

turiaf for president
07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Brand>camby

davis, camby, gordon > brand, maggette.

dont forget brand is coming off of an Achilles. im sure the worked out fine on it but its an injury that is hard to recover from fully.

davis
gordon
thornton
camby
kaman

thats a solid starting 5. camby is a bit older but he was the defensive player of the year a year ago. all he has to do for the clippers is become a weakside shot blocker for kaman, and rebound to start the break. this is a solid move for the clippers.

and for those of you who say the spurs management sucks for not getting this deal, you need to get your facts straight. the way the clippers go this deal is because they were one of 2 teams well under the salary cap. other team being the grizzles. being 12 mil under the cap, they were able to absorb camby's 8 mil a year deal. the spurs are well over the cap and the nuggets didnt want an expiring contract. they wanted to not even pay him camby this year so even if the spurs had a 8 million dollar expiring the nuggets had a better deal by not getting a contract in return for next year in the clippers.

the NBA just like anything is still a business. the nuggets werent going to go anywhere anytime soon and for now seems like all they wanna do is play as less of a lux tax as possible. next year atkins and iversons contracts comes off the books. thats about 23 mil off their payroll and i believe they are just trying to cut back on their salaries.

the spurs dont need camby. thats my opinion. they need to get younger and i think they accomplished a bit of that in g. hill. i caught a bit of the spurs grizzles game and that boy can be a lock down defender. he reminds me of a lindsey hunter.

ShoogarBear
07-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Denver is a poorly run team. They are now at a 70mil payroll, thin on the front line, starting backcourt is old. Front line injury prone, oh and they go 7 deap!

Can you say lottery pick next year?

Really. I mean, it'd be one thing if they were going to do something intelligent with the cap space, but I just don't see that FO pulling it off.

anakha
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Really. I mean, it'd be one thing if they were going to do something intelligent with the cap space, but I just don't see that FO pulling it off.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/denver.htm

Even without Camby's contract, the Nuggets are still way over the cap.

The combined salaries of Iverson, Anthony, Martin, and Nene are over $60M.

The Nuggets FO's choices are still pretty limited, before and after the trade.

ShoogarBear
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/denver.htm

Even without Camby's contract, the Nuggets are still way over the cap.

The combined salaries of Iverson, Anthony, Martin, and Nene are over $60M.

The Nuggets FO's choices are still pretty limited, before and after the trade.

I should have been more careful with my word choice. I meant the TE and assumed eventual cap space they're trying to achieve.

anakha
07-16-2008, 12:16 PM
I should have been more careful with my word choice. I meant the TE and assumed eventual cap space they're trying to achieve.

No problem.

I do agree though with your misgivings on the Nuggets FO. Anybody who signs Nene to that much doesn't really inspire a lot of confidence in their decision-making. :lol

ShoogarBear
07-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Wasn't the Nene contract under Kiki's regime?

anakha
07-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Wasn't the Nene contract under Kiki's regime?

And the Kenyon Martin trade.

And the Nikoloz Tskitishvili draft pick. :lol

big daddy russ
07-16-2008, 01:20 PM
No low post scorers, though. Davis is their best option in the post.

ShoogarBear
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
And the Kenyon Martin trade.

And the Nikoloz Tskitishvili draft pick. :lol

So whatever happens to the Nuggets, it can't be worse.