PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason Jr video I made

thekingrobert
07-16-2008, 05:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd0fNkG7VH4

ceperez
07-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Yes, the guy is pretty good both defensively and offensively.

Very good control of the ball, very deceptive. Isn't passive on the perimeter and takes it to the hole when he sees an opening. Knows how to make the other team pay when he gets doubled or the defense sags on him. Has a very quick release and can take a good shot off the dribble.

You never saw these traits with Finley!

Definitely going to be a big Spurs contributor! This guy with Tony Parker in the back court will be deadly!

thekingrobert
07-16-2008, 05:58 AM
and moves exceptionally well without the ball

timvp
07-16-2008, 06:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd0fNkG7VH4

Very nice video. Good job :tu

A nice thing about Mason is he can create his own shot. Outside of the Big Three, the Spurs don't really have anyone else who can do that. Hopefully Mason will show he can create his own shot within the Spurs' offense.

thekingrobert
07-16-2008, 06:10 AM
thanks and another thing Ilike about him is he can shoot on the move and doesnt need much room

TJastal
07-16-2008, 06:19 AM
Saying Mason is able to create a good shot 1 on 1 might be stretching it I think.. but this video does show he can move fluidly with or without the ball, and has good quickness which in turn gets him into the open areas of the floor for his shots.... I had the impression he was alot slower like Finley

Vid also shows off his ball handling skills which are impressive, I can see why he can be used as a point guard when needed

That said I think he will be a good compliment to either Parker or Hill at the 2, he should help Parker push the ball up the floor, now if the spurs only had a dominant center to go with Duncan to help keep opposing teams off the offensive glass. Don't need a superstar just a guy that can be imposing at times. Like a Kendrick Perkins.

Brox6
07-16-2008, 06:27 AM
I hope he can bring that in Spurs this season...

thekingrobert
07-16-2008, 06:29 AM
he has always been a consistent shooter throughout his career I'm a tar Heel fan so I've seen him play some ACC ball

Kori Ellis
07-16-2008, 06:39 AM
he has always been a consistent shooter throughout his career I'm a tar Heel fan so I've seen him play some ACC ball

In the NBA, he was an pretty horrible shooter up until last year. Though it was in limited minutes, his shooting percentages were in 30-35% range. I hope he can continue to improve and last year wasn't just a fluke.

thekingrobert
07-16-2008, 06:43 AM
one thing I do notice about him is he doesnt hit the boards at all, seems like he doesn't like contact on both ends of the court

Sissiborgo
07-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Good

mrspurs
07-16-2008, 08:00 AM
roger is a holt type of player...hardworking,never late, and can operate at a very cheap price....roger will fit in nicely......wonder why roger isnt playing in the SL? im kidding dont answer that...

tav1
07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Great vid. Thanks.

td4mvp21
07-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I know everyone (including myself) was kind of like WTF with the signing but I think Mason is an upgrade from Finley.

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Spurs fans wanted a youth movement...

ShoogarBear
07-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Nice job.

Just to play devil's advocate, though, you could have made a highlight reel of any of the Wiz from that ass-whomping of the Cavs. :lol

MoSpur
07-16-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm holding out hope he's replacing Finley.

Fideo Castro
07-16-2008, 02:04 PM
That would be great.

DPG21920
07-16-2008, 02:04 PM
He was taking quite a few bad shots and missed a lot of them for a highlight reel. He is also glued to the ground. He should shoot better for the Spurs where he will get open looks and I expect Tim and Oberto and Ian to get better looks because he can handle the ball and make nice, smart, crisp passes in the paint off of penetration. The defense is an upgrade, but I still think Finley will play a part. It is also good to know he can somewhat create when the offense breaks down.

ceperez
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
He was taking quite a few bad shots and missed a lot of them for a highlight reel. He is also glued to the ground. He should shoot better for the Spurs where he will get open looks and I expect Tim and Oberto and Ian to get better looks because he can handle the ball and make nice, smart, crisp passes in the paint off of penetration. The defense is an upgrade, but I still think Finley will play a part. It is also good to know he can somewhat create when the offense breaks down.

Astute observation, he's very earth bound!

The guy definitely is an upgrade from Finley. Have you ever seen Finley take it to the rim or make a shot from a dribble?

One plus about this video is that it's playoff basketball!

thekingrobert
07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Nice job.

Just to play devil's advocate, though, you could have made a highlight reel of any of the Wiz from that ass-whomping of the Cavs. :lol

It's the only video I had access to.

stéphane
07-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Really thx for the video !
I don't know him that much to be honest... but he looks like a typical popovich guard. Really aggressive on both end of the floor, looking for his own shot and making it happen by moving fast off the ball or using high pick'n roll.
I know why they went at him now.

temujin
07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Very little offensive talent.
Can dribble with his left hand, though. Can't be said of many non-lefthanded NBA players. Even guards.

You can tell his shot is not natural, he has worked very hard on it.

Very good defensively, quick feet.

Hard worker, solid player.

Udoka II.

Good against Paul, not Bryant.

thekingrobert
07-17-2008, 12:55 AM
I hope his feet move fast enough to guard the Kobes and TMacs of the NBA

KidCongo
07-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Hope he isn't a crying bitch like the rest of the wizards.

DespЏrado
07-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Great job on the video btw. Thanks.

Reminds me a bit of Derrick Anderson for the good year we had him (with better d), and I don't mean that in a bad way. A guy with a questionable shot at times, but managed to put up a really good year for us, and elevated his game to earn that nice fat contract. He looks like a good hustling 2 guard who can buy some time at the point, with just enough juice to his game to get into the paint and flush a dunk or two.

If he can give us what Mr Loyalty himself gave us in his contract year then the Spurs might have found themselves a really good pickup.
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/580373.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE690166E40EFDF2C7 284831B75F48EF45

venitian navigator
07-17-2008, 03:46 AM
Looks to be like more like a fine back up point guard than a 2...expecially considering that his main weakness is the lack of rebounding. MMMMHHHH, so for the back up roles in the back court we should draft a guard that 's a good rebounder! wait...we already made just that...

Brox6
07-17-2008, 05:14 AM
:flag::flag::flag::flag: Spurs-like player to me :ihit:ihit

wildbill2u
07-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Yes, the guy is pretty good both defensively and offensively.

Very good control of the ball, very deceptive. Isn't passive on the perimeter and takes it to the hole when he sees an opening. Knows how to make the other team pay when he gets doubled or the defense sags on him. Has a very quick release and can take a good shot off the dribble.

You never saw these traits with Finley!

Definitely going to be a big Spurs contributor! This guy with Tony Parker in the back court will be deadly!

Last year, Mason was the Spanoulis of the Eastern Conference.

wildbill2u
07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
In the NBA, he was an pretty horrible shooter up until last year. Though it was in limited minutes, his shooting percentages were in 30-35% range. I hope he can continue to improve and last year wasn't just a fluke.

WORD! Because we bet the farm on this guy to move right in and possibly start instead of Finley if Pop decides to keep Manu as the 6th man.

sa_butta
07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Looks like a good defender and will work great with the Spurs. Im sure our coaching staff will bring out the best in him.

DespЏrado
07-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Looks to be like more like a fine back up point guard than a 2...expecially considering that his main weakness is the lack of rebounding. MMMMHHHH, so for the back up roles in the back court we should draft a guard that 's a good rebounder! wait...we already made just that...

Ugh he looked serviceable as a backup point, but he is a shooting guard. Here is what I am hoping he brings to the table for the Spurs. If he puts up anywhere near Derrick Anderson's stats did as a Spur then we really found something special.

DA as a spur
15.5 ppg
3.7 apg
4.4 rpg
0.399 3pt pct
0.416 fg pct

Roger Mason as a starter
17.4 ppg
3.4 apg
3 rpg
.431 3pt pct
.525 fg pct