PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith Doesn't Want to Return to Hawks if Woodson is still Coach

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2008, 07:42 AM
The Hawks would likely raise the five-year, $45 million offer that Smith turned down last summer, but money will not be the only factor in the talented young power forward returning to Atlanta. As I previously reported in Sports Illustrated, league sources say Smith is not interested in returning to the Hawks if Mike Woodson, who just signed a new two-year contract to remain with Atlanta, is the head coach. The two have butted heads frequently in Smith's four seasons with the Hawks, and sources say the relationship is beyond repair. With a dearth of offers, Smith may change his tune but having a volatile relationship on such a young team may not be in the Hawks' best interests.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/07/15/camby.reax/?eref=sircrc

JamStone
07-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Come to the Pistons, Josh.

Biggems
07-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Sheesh..........Woodson finally gets this team into the playoffs and Smith acts like a whiny bitch who wont play for him. A lot of people dont like their bosses, but they suck it up and do their job. Smith had a very good year last year. Maybe the animosity between him and Woodson brings out the fire in his game.

The Hawks have a chance to start something special....they could be the Blazers of the East....young, deep, athletic, and full of potential. They need Smith, and IMO, he needs the Hawks.

Pistons < Spurs
07-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Come to the Pistons, Josh.

:tu Pleeeeeease!

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2008, 08:03 AM
He would be wise to accept ~$1.9M per year from the Spurs.

stretch
07-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Mavs need to go after this guy.

Findog
07-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Mavs need to go after this guy.

Hawks aren't going to take our SnT garbage for him.

monosylab1k
07-16-2008, 08:23 AM
The Mavericks love their team.

Findog
07-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Mavs can't do anything to improve their team except through trades, that's what happens when you fuck your cap space to give Erick Dampier $70 million. And other teams don't want our garbage, which is 70% of the roster. The Mavs start calling other teams, it'll be Dirk, Josh and Bass they get asked about.

Findog
07-16-2008, 08:41 AM
Don't be mad the Mavericks for inactivty per se. Be mad at them because they have boxed themselves into an inflexible corner where they really can't improve their team. They should just start stockpiling young, athletic talent and try to create cap space for 2010. Don't worry about the playoffs or anything beyond in the near future.

jacobdrj
07-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Doesn't like a LB disciple? Sounds like a winner to me! Bring him in Joe!

(I very much dislike Larry Brown as a coach, in case anybody doesn't know by now)

stretch
07-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Mavs can't do anything to improve their team except through trades, that's what happens when you fuck your cap space to give Erick Dampier $70 million. And other teams don't want our garbage, which is 70% of the roster. The Mavs start calling other teams, it'll be Dirk, Josh and Bass they get asked about.

I would give them Josh and Bass for Smith.

jacobdrj
07-16-2008, 09:18 AM
I would give them Josh and Bass for Smith.

I would too, but I don't see why Smith would want to go to Dallas... The Hawks were a more compatible team (with arguably more talent) anyways. The Hawks were just young, and may have matured now.

stretch
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
I would too, but I don't see why Smith would want to go to Dallas... The Hawks were a more compatible team (with arguably more talent) anyways. The Hawks were just young, and may have matured now.

He said he doesnt want to return if Woodson remains the coach. That was the whole point of this thread.

jacobdrj
07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
I get that, but when Dallas is brought up... I would love Carlisle as a coach, but I am not stupid, I know players want to play for RC less than probably anybody else in the NBA.
Less than Woodson, I would imagine. So having him go to big D even with the current situation (and obviously it would be a sign and trade that doesn't work numbers-wise) Dallas simply doesn't make sense, even in fantasy land.

stretch
07-16-2008, 10:07 AM
I get that, but when Dallas is brought up... I would love Carlisle as a coach, but I am not stupid, I know players want to play for RC less than probably anybody else in the NBA.
Less than Woodson, I would imagine. So having him go to big D even with the current situation (and obviously it would be a sign and trade that doesn't work numbers-wise) Dallas simply doesn't make sense, even in fantasy land.

:wtf

im a little curious as to where do you hear that players would like to play for Rick Carlisle less than anyone in the NBA? ive never heard such a thing.

and im not saying he absolutely will come to dallas or any such thing, nor am i expecting him to come. im just saying it would be nice to have him and if the mavs can find a way to get him for a reasonable deal, i would love him here.

JamStone
07-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't know if that's true either. But, Carlisle does not have a reputation as a "player's coach." But, players do in general appear to like playing for Cuban. So, it might even out, especially if it's more about getting away from Woodson to Josh.

Fillmoe
07-16-2008, 12:09 PM
snt for artest and KT

The Franchise
07-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Fuck what Josh Smith wants.

ShoogarBear
07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Bonner for Josh. Make it happen and all is forgiven, RC.

balli
07-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Fuck all the people dogging Josh Smith. I knew this was going to happen. The Hawks had a chance to fire Woodson and go out and get Larry Brown (who would've been perfect for this team) and they fucked it up. Woodson sucks. I've watched nearly every Hawks game since they picked up JJ and honestly, I've never seen a team lose so many close games in my life (especially two seasons back). That speaks directly to the coach not being prepared.

You throw in all the problems Woodson's had with players and all the times half the ownership group has tried to have him fired and I really don't understand why they gave him an extension. I'm all about coaches getting a fair shake to coach for a few years before they get fired, but Woodson's had his chance for a few years now and his team still underachieves. They had to know this was coming. Josh Smith is the man. Fuck Woodson and fuck the Hawks for bringing him back.

The Franchise
07-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Fuck all the people dogging Josh Smith. I knew this was going to happen. The Hawks had a chance to fire Woodson and go out and get Larry Brown (who would've been perfect for this team) and they fucked it up. Woodson sucks. I've watched nearly every Hawks game since they picked up JJ and honestly, I've never seen a team lose so many close games in my life (especially two seasons back). That speaks directly to the coach not being prepared.

You throw in all the problems Woodson's had with players and all the times half the ownership group has tried to have him fired and I really don't understand why they gave him an extension. I'm all about coaches getting a fair shake to coach for a few years before they get fired, but Woodson's had his chance for a few years now and his team still underachieves. They had to know this was coming. Josh Smith is the man. Fuck Woodson and fuck the Hawks for bringing him back.

I live in Atlanta so i've watched a lot of Hawks games as well. Josh Smith is overrated. What gives this numbnut the right to decide whats best for the team. If he is going to hold them hostage to get his way then I will say it again: Fuck what Josh Smith wants.

angelbelow
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
come to SA! we'll give you the rest of our MLE!

Spurtacus
07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Who the hell has the $$$ to give him? Philly is concentrating on Brand and Iguodala. Clippers just got Camby. Warriors blow all their wad on Maggette?

I think he stays a Hawk for at least one more season.

manufor3
07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Who the hell has the $$$ to give him? Philly is concentrating on Brand and Iguodala. Clippers just got Camby. Warriors blow all their wad on Maggette?

I think he stays a Hawk for at least one more season.

maybe sactown?

Red Hawk #21
07-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Just when things were looking up...

Ill Cosby
07-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I hate when basketball players who've accomplished nothing say some stuff like 'I'm not comin back if so-and-so is the coach'

Red Hawk #21
07-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Yea Im very Disappointed with Josh for doing this. Hopefully we can get someone good to replace him.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Yea Im very Disappointed with Josh for doing this. Hopefully we can get someone good to replace him.

You will be better off with Prince and Max. :toast

Lp26
07-18-2008, 11:38 PM
You will be better off with Prince and Max. :toast

Make it just Prince. No need to overpay (unless we have to) . . .

Red Hawk #21
07-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Make it just Prince. No need to overpay (unless we have to) . . .

Hell no, Im sorry but there is no way J-Smith should be traded for prince straight up. In each of the last year's playoffs Prince has been invisible. And during the season he hasn't been playing as good as I think he can.

ThunderStix®
07-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Hell no, Im sorry but there is no way J-Smith should be traded for prince straight up. In each of the last year's playoffs Prince has been invisible. And during the season he hasn't been playing as good as I think he can.

Yeah, I think Tayshaun Prince for Josh Smith is a bit of a pipe dream unless the Hawks FO think that their the Grizzlies. :lol

TheMadHatter
07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Josh Smith for Lamar Odom and Jordan Farmar.