PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Manny

02-04-2005, 12:21 AM
I finished Gaiman's "American Gods" which you recommended. I give it 7 out of 10. I really dug the premise and thread of the story, but I felt he could have given a little more background on the individuals so you knew what they were about and where they came from. All in all, a really good read, thanks for the heads up. Have you ever read any of his other works?

MannyIsGod
02-04-2005, 01:13 AM
I started to read "Good Omens" which is a satire about armagedon, but I lost the book, doh. Jess has read more of his work and she's the reason I've been turned onto him. I'm glad you dug the book, I found the storyline super unique and I loved the perspective. I plan on finishing Good Omens and picking up Neverwhere soon.

The man is really eclectic and has a very wide variety of work, you may want to check out some of it such as his short stories. Jess reccomends them. Actually, she should be the one making this post because she knows much more about him than I do, so I'll let her log on and do so. :)

Jekka
02-04-2005, 01:23 AM
I kind of liked the lack of background on most of the characters - I think they're supposed to be somewhat mysterious; it's part of the appeal. I think if any more background had been included it would have been more like a history lesson since most, if not all, of the gods are rooted in actual folklore.

Neverwhere is probably my second favorite of his works that I've read - it's more fantasy than American Gods mainly because the bulk of the story takes place in underground London - but the character development is fabulous.

Stardust is really a fairytale - as it has fairies and a medieval village in it. I personally liked it, but I think it could be harder for someone with a Y chromosome to appreciate it - but hey, to each his own.

Gaiman's short story collection Smoke and Mirrors is really great - he never ceases to satiate my literary cravings with the originality of his work.

He should have another novel out by the end of the year I hear. He keeps a great blog online, and said that Anansi Boys should be finished by the end of the month.

02-04-2005, 03:01 AM
I don't know Jessica, I would have liked more background, but that's just me. I also have William Gibson's "Neuromancer" to read, you ever read any of his stuff?

If you like originality, you should try King's "Dark Tower" series.

MannyIsGod
02-04-2005, 03:58 AM
The Dark Towers were nuts, I loved them. I didn't really love the ending per say, but I'm not sure any ending could have lived up to the way the story developed.

I need to go back and reread the first one with the additions. Actually, I should read them all back to back to back to back to back to back to back now that I have them all