PDA

View Full Version : What's so bad about going over the salary cap?

Srupsog
07-16-2008, 04:47 PM
The spurs should just go over the salary cap and pay the penalty. Since that seems the only way the spurs can land good free agents.

The Franchise
07-16-2008, 04:49 PM
The spurs should just go over the salary cap and pay the penalty. Since that seems the only way the spurs can land good free agents.

Easy to say when it's not your money!!!:lol

Obstructed_View
07-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, they should have been doing this all along. The Charlotte Spurs would have had at least 5 championships by now...

xtremesteven33
07-16-2008, 04:52 PM
San Antonio Spurs:

Where Money does not win championships

picnroll
07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
Mail your check to:

Peter Holt
c/o I'm willing to contribute $100,000
AT&T Center
One AT&T Center Parkway
San Antonio, TX 78219

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
The Spurs are over the cap.

There is not a $ penalty for going over the cap, other than the amount of $ you can devote to free agents (and other moves).

You are penalized for going over the luxury tax threshold.

I hate Spurs fans.

Buddy Holly
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
The lack of intelligence from some of the posters here is outstanding... :depressed

duncan228
07-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I hate Spurs fans.

:lol

The intelligence of some of the posters here is outstanding... :depressed

Yeah, but at least it's balanced out by the remarkable amount of posters we have that do know what they're talking about. ST is wonderful for great insight on our team and basketball in general.

rj215
07-16-2008, 05:06 PM

There is not a $ penalty for going over the cap, other than the amount of $ you can devote to free agents (and other moves).

I hate Spurs fans.

We should go over the tax threshold...I mean it's worked wonders for the Knicks, Mavs, Cavs, Nuggets, Heat, Lakers and Suns last year!!! :rolleyes Only two of those teams got out of the 1st round.

K-State Spur
07-16-2008, 05:07 PM

the Spurs CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES offer any outside free agent anything MORE than the MLE because they are already OVER the cap.

kapeesh?

Kindergarten Cop
07-16-2008, 05:23 PM
the Spurs CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES offer ANY free agent anything MORE than the MLE because they are already OVER the cap.

kapeesh?

Actually they can offer more than the MLE to a few of our own FAs - and may have to do it to retain KT's services.

tav1
07-16-2008, 05:24 PM

Guy, you're gonna killed for posts like this. Before you speak, do the homework. I'm not trying to be nasty, but it is advice you should take.

You can start by defining salary cap, tax threshhold, mle, lle, Bird Rights, etc...you don't have to be an expert, but try for a working knowledge. It'll make things more pleasant for everyone that way.

K-State Spur
07-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Actually they can offer more than the MLE to a few of our own FAs - and may have to do it to retain KT's services.

Yes, I think others are referring to not be able to land FAs from other teams. I doubt anybody is upset over KT when he isn't even rumored to be looking elsewhere yet.

Nonetheless, you have made an important distinction so I edited my post.

Buddy Holly
07-16-2008, 05:39 PM
You can only offer more to your own player if you have his bird rights.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2008, 05:47 PM
If only we were paying $18 million in luxury tax penalties like the Nuggets, $22 million in penalty like NY, or $14 million in penalty like the Mavs, we could win something.

Dangit, the OP should call the Spurs on this, I think he might be on to something...

Kindergarten Cop
07-16-2008, 05:48 PM

Which we do for Thomas and Horry.

Tippecanoe
07-16-2008, 05:52 PM

not true. you can still offer the non-bird exception which is a 120% raise

MarHill
07-16-2008, 07:48 PM

I hate Spurs fans.

:lmao

urunobili
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I hate Spurs fans.
so why you waste your energy arguing with them? not everybody knows about the business as much as you do MB... and you know we're'all spoiled...

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2008, 09:31 PM
so why you waste your energy arguing with them? not everybody knows about the business as much as you do MB... and you know we're'all spoiled...

I hate those bastards.

anakha
07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
If nothing else, any fan that follows the Spurs is going to get a thorough instruction in salary cap gymnastics - whether they like it or not. :lol

lakehorn
07-16-2008, 10:34 PM

That's taking money out of Peter Holt's pocket and equivalent to taking a baby's lolly pop.