PDA

View Full Version : In Vegas: Hill Fits A Need (Hoopsworld)

duncan228
07-16-2008, 05:10 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9499

In Vegas: Hill Fits a Need
By: Yannis Koutroupis

Since the 2007 NBA finals the San Antonio Spurs have been making a slow, but noticeable change from Tim Duncan's team to Tony Parker's. Everything still runs through Duncan, as Coach Popovich will explain every time he's asked, but we saw in the playoffs just how good this Spurs team is when Parker is at the top of his game.

A growing area of concern for the Spurs has been Parker's backup. Beno Udrih was the guy they had hoped would develop into Parker's spotter, but it took a change of scenery for him to fully develop. A late season pickup of Damon Stoudamire didn't pan out too well either for the Spurs, and while Jacque Vaughn is a great locker room guy the Spurs don't want to depend on him to be their main backup behind Tony for another season.

That's why when the Spurs were on the clock with the 26th pick they went with George Hill, the not so well known combo guard out of IUPUI. While many people were shocked, Hill had told several reporters before the draft that he had a feeling he could end up going late in the first round, and he couldn't be happier with where he ended up landing.

"It's a great opportunity anytime you can come to this organization it's a great place to be with the staff and teammates. You couldn't be put in a better situation," Hill stated in an interview with HOOPSWORLD's Jessica Camerato after a summer league game in Las Vegas.

One of the big reasons why the Spurs are ideal for Hill is because he'll be able to learn from someone he's a big fan of for years. "I've always been a great fan of Parker. Even if I wasn't a part of this organization I would think he's one of the best point guards in the league."

The trait that Hill hopes to pick up from Parker the most is his coolness under pressure. "He shows no emotion. Nothing rattles him. I'm trying to pick that up from him. No matter what happens good or bad don't let it rattle you. If I get that I'll be fine."

Considering that he'll also be playing with Manu Ginobili, whose best quality is his ability to always forget the last play according to Coach Popovich, it shouldn't be too tough for Hill to pick it up. What will be tough for Hill is going against the point guards of the Western Conference. Going up against Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Deron Williams, and Baron Davis is a big step up from the guard play he saw in the Summit League last year.

Summer league head coach Mike Budenholzer is helping him get prepared for that by having him guard the best guard on the opposing team. Against the Grizzlies' O.J. Mayo Hill held his own very well by contesting everything and forcing him to take tough shots. Hill is also making it a big point of emphasis in summer league to also get more comfortable playing the point guard position and being a floor leader. At IUPUI he played at both point and shooting guard, but he'll be primarily a point guard for the Spurs.

"I'm learning how to be a floor leader and direct people. This is a learning point for me and I'm just ready to step up and take the challenge," said Hill.

He'll have to be ready, because Coach Popovich has made it no secret that he wants him to be Parker's primary backup. Not to add more pressure on Hill, but we're coming up on an odd year; or the majority of this decade that's meant a championship for the Spurs. When asked if he's ready to win a championship, Hill had the perfect response.

"I'm always ready to win a championship. I just want to have that feeling."

The Franchise
07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Hill seems like a good kid. I hope he works out.

Extra Stout
07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Since the 2007 NBA finals the San Antonio Spurs have been making a slow, but noticeable change from Tim Duncan's team to Tony Parker's.
With the very first sentence, Hoopsworld reinforces this once again: my bowel movement this morning contained more basketball knowledge than that website has.

tlongII
07-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Do the Spurs have a "Need" to suck?

mrspurs
07-16-2008, 06:50 PM
seem hill 3 times already....this past game against a nba player(robinson)....hill has alot to improve before stepping onto the nba court, he just doesnt look comfy running the point for some reason...kinda reminds me of vinny del negro...i like this kid powell from Illinois, he reminds me of a david west...ian reminds me of fab...missing easy uncontested shots, one of these days ian will learn the basket is just right there...just put it in with authority...he missed some easy putbacks that could have easily been slams(i really dont see much of an improvement) ian needs to step his game up...bigtime