PDA

View Full Version : David Thorpe's Hill tidbit

texasqb2
07-16-2008, 05:35 PM
ESPN David Thorpe in today's chat regarding George Hill

Cleve (Austin): How alarmed should Spurs fans be at George Hill's struggles on offense thus far?

David Thorpe: Not very. But he has been the worst first rounder thus far, trumping Joe Alexander's struggles.

texasqb2
07-16-2008, 05:35 PM
also had this to say about Batum:

John (Dallas, TX): Your thoughts on how terrible Nicholas Batum has been thus far?

David Thorpe: I think he's been terrible.

texbumTHElife
07-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Wow, that's some award winning investigative journalism right there.

The worst first rounder as far as shooting the ball. He is probably averaging more boards and playing far superior defense than half the guys taken in the lottery, if not all.

Obstructed_View
07-16-2008, 05:52 PM
ESPN David Thorpe in today's chat regarding George Hill

Cleve (Austin): How alarmed should Spurs fans be at George Hill's struggles on offense thus far?

David Thorpe: Not very. But he has been the worst first rounder thus far, trumping Joe Alexander's struggles.

Clearly someone that hasn't been watching the games.

objective
07-16-2008, 06:06 PM
David Thorpe is a hater! Doesn't he know Hill was recruited by Florida?

Mr. Body
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
David Thorpe is a hater! Doesn't he know Hill was recruited by Florida?

Exactly. He was contacted by Florida therefore he's gonna be a star!

DPG21920
07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow the #26 pick out of 30 is performing the worst out of all the first rounders. Maybe that is why he was picked almost last in the first round....

mrspurs
07-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Wow, that's some award winning investigative journalism right there.

The worst first rounder as far as shooting the ball. He is probably averaging more boards and playing far superior defense than half the guys taken in the lottery, if not all.

williams isnt #31 anymore.........thats an old signature

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Exactly. He was contacted by Florida therefore he's gonna be a star!

I wouldn't say star, but he is gonna amount to something special.

texbumTHElife
07-16-2008, 08:02 PM
williams isnt #31 anymore.........thats an old signature

You responded to your own critique profoundly well. It IS and old signature.

urunobili
07-16-2008, 09:13 PM
i think Pop and Bud ask George to put a "Duncanesque" move on the summer league... just strengthen your PG skills.. they know he has the rest of the package...

Gino2882
07-16-2008, 09:15 PM
i think Pop and Bud ask George to put a "Duncanesque" move on the summer league... just strengthen your PG skills.. they know he has the rest of the package...

Yep, they asked him to shoot 0-16 in his last 2 games. As long as he is working on his PG skills he will be fine. lol.

He is struggling mightily and doesn't need people making excuses for him.

Spurtacus
07-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow the #26 pick out of 30 is performing the worst out of all the first rounders. Maybe that is why he was picked almost last in the first round....

Problem is there was some talent we passed up on. Arthur, Green to name two.

T Park
07-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Yep, they asked him to shoot 0-16 in his last 2 games. As long as he is working on his PG skills he will be fine. lol.

He is struggling mightily and doesn't need people making excuses for him.

Way to keep your head up your ass kiddo.

T Park
07-16-2008, 09:21 PM

Yeah I'm sure not having that undersized power forward with no post game will just hurt the Spurs's chances of ever contending again.

jayc23
07-16-2008, 09:22 PM
hes over penetrating when he does drive .. and he usually gets no calls on the drive ... if you ... he has missed jump shots that he normally nets though .. and ive never seen him shoot so terribly and be so out of control on drives..

angelbelow
07-16-2008, 09:26 PM
thrope is right, hilll has been terrible, but we isnt be alarmed by his struggles either. hill will turn it around, im more than hopeful.

tlongII
07-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Maybe that's why he really should have been picked in the 2nd round.

tlongII
07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah I'm sure not having that undersized power forward with no post game will just hurt the Spurs's chances of ever contending again.

Are you really this stupid or do you just pretend to be on the internets?

Spurtacus
07-16-2008, 09:39 PM

Fine, if you want to talk PG, Mario Chalmers. Time will tell. Its way too early to say Hill sucks, is a bust, etc etc.

Gino2882
07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Way to keep your head up your ass kiddo.

I guess its still up there, right along with George's head which is up his own ass. Maybe in tomorrow's game the opposing team will allow him to take the opening tip and get a wide open layup. Chances are he would feel the imaginary contact, miss the layup, and head toward the free throw line.

No seriously, he is struggling and it amuses me greatly the people who get offended when people point out just how bad he is playing. Simply saying "he will be fine" and "it is just three summer league games" is stupid. He is struggling, deal with it. Hopefully he turns it around.

TD4THREE
07-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Hopefully he turns it around.Or we're going to lose more summer league games!:wow

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2008, 11:02 PM

So the Spurs don't have a summerleague superstar. BFD. All they need is a backup point.

I. Hustle
07-16-2008, 11:12 PM
He is a kid that just got picked up by an NBA team. First off he is going to try to hard to be what he thinks they want and second he is not mature enough to be the player that everyone wants him to be. He needs that game experience with some actual NBA talent and time to learn the system. Once he calms down and stops trying to be an all star off the bat he will be fine. As good as this draft was I don't see any of the top picks being huge impacts as far as wins for their teams. The top few are already getting beat up by players that aren't even as big or strong as the guys they will have to face later on this year.

Obstructed_View
07-17-2008, 01:24 AM
No seriously, he is struggling and it amuses me greatly the people who get offended when people point out just how bad he is playing. Simply saying "he will be fine" and "it is just three summer league games" is stupid. He is struggling, deal with it. Hopefully he turns it around.

If he turns it around, the people saying "he will be fine" and "It's just three summer league games" aren't stupid, they would be correct. What annoys many of us is the people that say he's a bust pick or won't make the team based upon his first three summer league games for a team that makes the players work on their weaknesses. It's perfectly fine to say he's having all kinds of trouble scoring, or even making baskets, but there's a perfectly plausible explanation for it, and scoring isn't something he's historically had great problems with. I seem to recall some decent shooters in the NBA having trouble making baskets over longer stretches than this, when they weren't making a huge transition in their career.

DMX7
07-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Or we're going to lose more summer league games!:wow

Or he's going to find himself in the D-League.

mystargtr34
07-17-2008, 03:04 AM
So the Spurs don't have a summerleague superstar. BFD. All they need is a backup point.

You cant really expect a NBA back up for a contender to play like a back up SUMMER LEAGUE PG.

A regular back up PG in the NBA should clearly be a standout in the Summer League. Im not saying he has no chance of turning out as a player, thats stupid, but if you expect him to contribute as a back up PG in the NBA, expecially for a contender, he has to be at least a stand out performer in the Summer League. So far, he hasnt done that.

Now, Pop said he expected Hill to contribute immediately, im starting to think that was in a secondary PG role playing with Manu in an off the ball role off the bench more so than being the lead PG for the second unit.

Mr. Body
07-17-2008, 03:13 AM
Funny that pulling a back-up point guard out of this draft and offseason is considered a huge success. Leaving Hill's struggles aside. Time was we expected big improvements in an offseason...

DMX7
07-17-2008, 03:15 AM
Now, Pop said he expected Hill to contribute immediately, im starting to think that was in a secondary PG role...

Of course, but I don't think he can even hold his own let alone contribute meaningfully.

Spurs Brazil
07-17-2008, 02:54 PM
If he turns it around, the people saying "he will be fine" and "It's just three summer league games" aren't stupid, they would be correct. What annoys many of us is the people that say he's a bust pick or won't make the team based upon his first three summer league games for a team that makes the players work on their weaknesses. It's perfectly fine to say he's having all kinds of trouble scoring, or even making baskets, but there's a perfectly plausible explanation for it, and scoring isn't something he's historically had great problems with. I seem to recall some decent shooters in the NBA having trouble making baskets over longer stretches than this, when they weren't making a huge transition in their career.

Great post.

Agree with everything

Chucho
07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Ugh. This is why these boards are heavily avoided by many more than those who read it.

Man, there are WAY too many George Hill threads around here. We get it. Either you think the guy is a bum unworthy of Silver and Black or he is what he is, a late first rounder with potential that the PROFESSIONALS WHO DO THIS FOR A LIVING WITH SUCCESS see. Either way, its just a bunch of repetitive, senseless banter from a bunch of amateur speculators with nothing better to do than bitch and whine and insult fellow fans. Some of you do realize that we are in the middle of baseball season or that football is about to open training camps across the map? Does anyone care, or would you rather just be lame and comment on a player who hasn't seen a lick of REAL NBA competition? Either way,there is bound to be eight other George Hill threads in the next hour while everyone who offers a negative opinion still wouldn't have done anything in the business to make their opinion more credible than it already isn't.

Obstructed_View
07-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Ugh. This is why these boards are heavily avoided by many more than those who read it.

Man, there are WAY too many George Hill threads around here. We get it. Either you think the guy is a bum unworthy of Silver and Black or he is what he is, a late first rounder with potential that the PROFESSIONALS WHO DO THIS FOR A LIVING WITH SUCCESS see. Either way, its just a bunch of repetitive, senseless banter from a bunch of amateur speculators with nothing better to do than bitch and whine and insult fellow fans. Some of you do realize that we are in the middle of baseball season or that football is about to open training camps across the map? Does anyone care, or would you rather just be lame and comment on a player who hasn't seen a lick of REAL NBA competition? Either way,there is bound to be eight other George Hill threads in the next hour while everyone who offers a negative opinion still wouldn't have done anything in the business to make their opinion more credible than it already isn't.

Who gives a shit about baseball? :lol