PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs sure Manu will play in Beijing

Blackjack
07-17-2008, 01:50 AM
Mike Monroe: Spurs sure Manu will play Beijing

LAS VEGAS — The official decision won’t come for another day or two, but the Spurs already know that guard Manu Ginobili will be suiting up for the defending Olympic champion Argentine basketball team in Beijing in August.

Spurs president of basketball operations and head coach Gregg Popovich — don’t make the mistake of calling him “Mr. President” if you don’t want to be yelled at — has been in daily cyber-communication with the NBA’s reigning Sixth Man Award winner. The e-mail he got from Ginobili on Wednesday left no doubt Ginobili will be playing in China.

“He played in his first full practice and said he had zero pain in the ankle afterwards,” Popovich said after watching the Spurs’ summer league team defeat the New York Knicks at Cox Pavilion here Wednesday afternoon. “So we know what the final decision is going to be. He’s playing.”

Ginobili’s jammed left ankle hampered him so severely during the Spurs’ playoff run, particularly in the Western Conference finals that Brent Barry, the former Spurs guard who will play next season for the Houston Rockets, quipped that the team had only “Ma” in the series, but not “Nu.”

An MRI test conducted by the Spurs medical staff on June 19, nearly three weeks after the Lakers eliminated the Spurs, revealed significant swelling remained in Ginobili’s left ankle.

After seeing those results, Popovich made it clear he would discourage Ginobili from playing in the Olympics unless the ankle improved significantly before the basketball competition in Beijing began.

The Spurs dispatched assistant trainer Chad Bergman to Argentina to supervise Ginobili’s workouts in advance of the Argentine team’s practices. Popovich trusts his ultra-competitive guard to protect the Spurs’ investment in his talent.

But he also understands how badly Ginobili wants to participate in Argentina’s defense of the gold medal it won in Athens four years ago.

And when the Argentine Olympic Committee announced that Ginobili had been chosen to carry the Argentine flag in the opening ceremonies?

“I knew it was all over,” Popovich said. “I e-mailed Manu something like ‘I’m sure that’s not going to affect your decision at all.’?”

The Spurs’ head coach is encouraged by Ginobili’s e-mailed assurances that the ankle feels strong, but he will be watching Argentina’s games in Beijing holding his breath.

“He said the ankle has felt great in his one-on-one workouts and in his personal training,” Popovich said. “He’s out of shape and says his calves are hurting from all the running he’s been doing, but the important thing is that he says the ankle feels good.”

An Argentine newspaper reports that Ginobili plans to test the ankle in game conditions next week when Argentina plays Spain in what is known in international basketball circles as a “friendly” game that will match the defending Olympic champs against the reigning World champs.

It likely won’t matter if Ginobili intends to limit his playing time in that one. If the game is close, count on his national pride to kick in during crunch time.

New ref bosses? An NBA insider whispered Wednesday that the league soon will announce that former referees Bernie Fryar and Joe Borgia will replace Ronnie Nunn as supervisor of referees.

Nunn has had the job since 2003, when he replaced Ed T. Rush.

He is expected to be reassigned to other duties.

The league is in severe spin control mode about its referees in the wake of the Tim Donaghy gambling mess.

Feel free to consider Nunn a scapegoat for the embarrassment the Donaghy incident has brought David Stern.

[email protected]

angelbelow
07-17-2008, 01:51 AM
im fine with this, i only respect manu for playing for his country.

thekingrobert
07-17-2008, 02:04 AM
good since no spurs are suiting up for the US im rooting for Argentina

Spurtacus
07-17-2008, 02:06 AM
I hope he's healthy. Our season rides on his ankle.

mystargtr34
07-17-2008, 02:17 AM
good since no spurs are suiting up for the US im rooting for Argentina

Your American and your rooting for Argentina?

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 02:20 AM
I sure hope his ankle is 100%

thekingrobert
07-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Your American and your rooting for Argentina?

Yeah mainly cause i'm diehard Spurs fan and i hate the hype of players who have done nothing

sassystriker
07-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Good! praying for Manu's faster recovery to tip-top shape. I do so pray to God that he's fine and that this determination would lead to something really worth it --- gold medal!

Supporting Manu.

timvp
07-17-2008, 04:06 AM
Even if Manu was really hurting, he'd still play. He gave Pop some lip service but I highly doubt Ginobili ever considered not playing.

Brox6
07-17-2008, 05:18 AM
doesn't matter as long as Manu is healthy next April-May-June :flag:

jason1301
07-17-2008, 10:56 AM
too bad that argentina doesn't have the team they used to have :)

I would do the same if I was manu.

hater
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
YES! there is a reason to watch the olympics

hater
07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
too bad that argentina doesn't have the team they used to have :)

I would do the same if I was manu.

huh? I think they are just as good or better. but Spain + USA got much tougher

urunobili
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
huh? I think they are just as good or better. but Spain + USA got much tougher

are you sure Prigioni and Porta = Sanchez and Montechia? :nope

xtremesteven33
07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
im an american and i will be rooting for Argentina....

Patriotism does not depend on who you root for in the olympics....

Cherry
07-17-2008, 11:49 AM
some Pics today

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/966/20080717224125gqo1.jpg

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/7978/20080716010004hg5.jpg

weebo
07-17-2008, 11:55 AM
No way the US loses. Kobe and Lebron on the same team will kill the rest of the world.

weebo
07-17-2008, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=Cherry;2669644]some Pics today

looks like manu is playing for the rockets summer league team.:downspin:

GoGatos
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
im an american and i will be rooting for Argentina....

Patriotism does not depend on who you root for in the olympics....

MERRIAM-WEBSTER THINKS YOU'RE WRONG (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriotism)

pa·tri·ot·ism
Pronunciation: \ˈpā-trē-ə-ˌti-zəm, chiefly British ˈpa-\
Function: noun
Date: circa 1726
: love for or devotion to one's country

You can root for Argentina all you want, so long as you're not rooting for them against the United States. If you do that, then you are not patriotic. As an American, I will root for the United States. I have a love of and devotion to my country. You think if you rooted for the Russians against the USA hockey team in 1980 you could still be patriotic?

However, as a SPURS FAN, I will root AGAINST Argentina merely because I am selfish. The fewer games Argentina plays, the less likely it is for Manu to get injured. I'm selfish that way.

ducks
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Even if Manu was really hurting, he'd still play. He gave Pop some lip service but I highly doubt Ginobili ever considered not playing.

no shit:bang:bang:bang
next contract from spurs should put a clause he can not play there only nba:bang:bang

urunobili
07-17-2008, 12:39 PM
MERRIAM-WEBSTER THINKS YOU'RE WRONG (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriotism)

pa·tri·ot·ism

You can root for Argentina all you want, so long as you're not rooting for them against the United States. If you do that, then you are not patriotic. As an American, I will root for the United States. I have a love of and devotion to my country. You think if you rooted for the Russians against the USA hockey team in 1980 you could still be patriotic?

However, as a SPURS FAN, I will root AGAINST Argentina merely because I am selfish. The fewer games Argentina plays, the less likely it is for Manu to get injured. I'm selfish that way.

do yourself a favor and don't waste your energy rooting for the USA... cheering for ya'll is almost like how it used ot be cheering for the USSR back in the 80's... don;t tell me you don;t like underdogs? and even more... how sure are you that Melo won;t go crazy and punch a guy and get suspended or a positive doping on Howard? get real... :ihit GO GREECE!

G-Nob
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
F the olympics

xtremesteven33
07-17-2008, 12:43 PM

pa·tri·ot·ism

it depends on how you define the word "Love"

i dont think "Love" or "Devotion" pertains to basketball teams that you root for. Love and Devotion to ones country would be fighting in war or fighting for the consitution of the US.

it does not pertain to basketball

WildcardManu
07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Fuck patriotism Team USA is filled with alot of me-shoot-first-players.

ducks
07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Fuck patriotism Team USA is filled with alot of me-shoot-first-players.

that is why pros should not be allowed to go:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang:bang

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 02:11 PM
And when the Argentine Olympic Committee announced that Ginobili had been chosen to carry the Argentine flag in the opening ceremonies?

“I knew it was all over,” Popovich said. “I e-mailed Manu something like ‘I’m sure that’s not going to affect your decision at all.’?”

The Spurs’ head coach is encouraged by Ginobili’s e-mailed assurances that the ankle feels strong, but he will be watching Argentina’s games in Beijing holding his breath.

“He said the ankle has felt great in his one-on-one workouts and in his personal training,” Popovich said. “He’s out of shape and says his calves are hurting from all the running he’s been doing, but the important thing is that he says the ankle feels good.”

This right here; you can tell Pop is getting fed up with this... as I have said before, don't be surprised if he gets traded in a couple of seasons if he keeps pulling this kind of crap.

Brutalis
07-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh well they will be knocked out of the tourney quick anyway.

Brutalis
07-17-2008, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=Cherry;2669644]some Pics today

looks like manu is playing for the rockets summer league team.:downspin:

He looks old now.

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Oh well they will be knocked out of the tourney quick anyway.

That would be best... less risk of injury.

benefactor
07-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Wonder how many will change their tune about him being "patriotic" when he is not available for the first 2 months of the season? I hope he is alright...I do. But I worry about him not being honest about it. We will see when the tourney starts.

I still maintain that if he is not 100% and could possibly hurt the Spurs by risking himself in the Olympics he is being selfish. There is a fine line between selfishness and national pride.

MmP
07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
That's totaly untrue. Way off. Try to moderate in what you say. You can't just assume things.

When Manu gave his first press conference a month ago he was almost assuming he wasn't going to play. He worked hard his ass to be 100% phisicaly to be able to play. But his attendance in the olympics was uncertain until this week.

Spurs Brazil
07-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I hope Manu wins the gold again