PDA

View Full Version : Barry in Red

spurscenter
07-17-2008, 04:23 AM
Seems like the Houston Rockets are like the Used Car Dealership for the San Antonio Spurs.

--- doesn't Brent looks wasted. lol

Best Brent!

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/14/fullj.5eb100b3125d4f3193904fd1aadc356f/5eb100b3125d4f3193904fd1aadc356f-getty-81648321bb004_brent_barry.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/75/fullj.2790147d46a2e7934087a8adffa5cabc/2790147d46a2e7934087a8adffa5cabc-getty-81648321bb002_brent_barry.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/49/fullj.d979ba8617c4f6055c8d298af99dff9d/d979ba8617c4f6055c8d298af99dff9d-getty-81648321bb003_brent_barry.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/espanol/scola_rockets_250.jpg
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/234538.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0EDA89B54EFC6CE8DCB 284831B75F48EF45

SenorSpur
07-17-2008, 05:25 AM
I'm amazed at how teams are so willing to parade any FA in front of the press and then go as far as to conduct those customary jersey presentations to the media. No offense to Brent, but it's seems a bit silly to make such a big deal out of signing a 36 year-old swingman. It's not like he's Elton Brand or LeBron James.

DieMrBond
07-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Argh, my eyes - they burn!

Texas_Ranger
07-17-2008, 05:43 AM
:madrun

rj215
07-17-2008, 06:35 AM
why couldn't that have been fin-dog instead....

Sausage
07-17-2008, 06:42 AM
That's just morbidly obese. :(

LocosPorJuana
07-17-2008, 06:50 AM
You forgot mario elie, carl herrera,and chucky brown. Because you know, they all played for the spurs before they were rockets =/
And if horry wasn't on the spurs, you could take away 2 championships, and 2 from the lakers, the guy is that amazing.
I would build horry a statue on culebra rd on the way to St. mary's, if i ruled over san antonio.

One thing about Barry, he looks like he has a sprayed tan.

spurscenter
07-17-2008, 06:53 AM
You forgot mario elie, carl herrera,and chucky brown. Because you know, they all played for the spurs before they were rockets =/
And if horry wasn't on the spurs, you could take away 2 championships, and 2 from the lakers, the guy is that amazing.
I would build horry a statue on culebra rd on the way to St. mary's, if i ruled over san antonio.

lol

Sissiborgo
07-17-2008, 07:24 AM
He looks ugly in this!

mrspurs
07-17-2008, 07:38 AM

yeah and right next to it......build a bikini car wash......be the only way id go and see it....no joke

Taco
07-17-2008, 08:30 AM
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/7188/horrynplayru2.jpg

1Parker1
07-17-2008, 08:39 AM
:depressed

sa_butta
07-17-2008, 09:08 AM
I wish Brent well, but I really hope he doesnt have a good game against us.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 09:09 AM
I just threw up a little in my mouth.

MavDynasty
07-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I just threw up a little in my mouth.

nil.ball
07-17-2008, 09:28 AM
still wearing his spurs shoes though

thispego
07-17-2008, 09:52 AM
ugly ass uniforms

FromWayDowntown
07-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Spurs get Rockets left-overs and win championships.

Rockets get Spurs left-overs and can't get out of the first round.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Thank you very much to the OP for selecting a thread title that will have that godawful song for the rest of the day.

Baaaaarrrryyyy in reeeeeeddddd
is shooting the three

Budkin
07-17-2008, 10:08 AM
That makes me sad... Brent was one of my favorite Spurs.

xtremesteven33
07-17-2008, 10:13 AM
its like a bad dream

Dex
07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Yeah, that picture kinda pisses me off.

I still need to change my avatar.

Obstructed_View
07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Spurs get Rockets left-overs and win championships.

Rockets get Spurs left-overs and can't get out of the first round.

*Vernon Maxwell

tp2021
07-17-2008, 10:30 AM
It looks straight-up wrong. They already made enough Barrys look ugly.

Tigole Bitties
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
*Vernon Maxwell

**Carl Herrera

WildcardManu
07-17-2008, 10:36 AM
:cry

Twisted_Dawg
07-17-2008, 10:42 AM
I bet brother Jon Barry has an erection that his brother is playing for the Rockets.
Jon never gave us any love. I remember he was adamant that Fisher did not foul Brent on that 3 point shot in that playoff game. Anybody with any simple knowledge of the sport, other than an idiot, knew that was a foul. But not Jon Jon.

Quasar
07-17-2008, 10:42 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!! Come back mango tree!

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!! Come back mango tree!

Now the Spurs....have no soul. ::whoosh::

thispego
07-17-2008, 10:45 AM
I bet brother Jon Barry has an erection that his brother is playing for the Rockets.
Jon never gave us any love. I remember he was adamant that Fisher did not foul Brent on that 3 point shot in that playoff game. Anybody with any simple knowledge of the sport, other than an idiot, knew that was a foul. But not Jon Jon.

barry traveled, it was a good no-call. barry should have just shot the ball before putting it back on the ground. barry fucked up. Howevah! if he had shot it instead of putting it on the ground then it might have not been called anyways.. sooooo

angelbelow
07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
:cuss:cuss

weebo
07-17-2008, 11:36 AM
What's with the gay love fest for this guy? He had a few good games here and there but for the most part sucked. If he wants to play for the rockets, good for him.

Spuradicator
07-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Fuck, I hate seeing Bones donning a Rockets jersey....It should of been Finley.

SenorSpur
07-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Best of luck to Brent. I enjoyed watching him play here. I hope the Spurs the ass of both him and his new team, from here on out.

Indazone
07-17-2008, 11:57 AM
He looks good to me. Yes sir Brent looks good in Rocket Red :downspin:

WildcardManu
07-17-2008, 11:58 AM
What's with the gay love fest for this guy? He had a few good games here and there but for the most part sucked. If he wants to play for the rockets, good for him.

Probably because he was one of our more consistent 3 point shooters.

duncan228
07-17-2008, 12:02 PM

That's a shame. I like your avatar.

Tmac&Luther
07-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I'm amazed at how teams are so willing to parade any FA in front of the press and then go as far as to conduct those customary jersey presentations to the media. No offense to Brent, but it's seems a bit silly to make such a big deal out of signing a 36 year-old swingman. It's not like he's Elton Brand or LeBron James.

Give me a break.....every player signed in FA goes infront of the press and has his picture taken. It's not like we held a damn parade, Brent Barry just got his press conference.....like every FA in the entire league. :rolleyes

Captain Obvious
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Brent Barry now plays for the Houston Rockets.

My senses tell me he will shoot 3 pointers.

ThunderStix®
07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Thank you very much to the OP for selecting a thread title that will have that godawful song for the rest of the day.

Baaaaarrrryyyy in reeeeeeddddd
is shooting the three

:rollin

kobyz
07-17-2008, 02:33 PM
barry traveled, it was a good no-call. barry should have just shot the ball before putting it back on the ground. barry fucked up. Howevah! if he had shot it instead of putting it on the ground then it might have not been called anyways.. sooooo

the contact came before the travel

Brutalis
07-17-2008, 02:45 PM
BB is a dumb ass retard who is going to get served.

Tmac&Luther
07-17-2008, 02:49 PM
BB is a dumb ass retard who is going to get served.

Oh no!!! :grim:

http://images.hepsiburada.com/assets/Film/500/vcdcolsonytek02.jpg

:rolleyes

Spurtacus
07-17-2008, 04:20 PM
*sigh*

Budkin
07-17-2008, 04:46 PM

When asked if the Spurs had a chance to win game 5 against the Lakers and bring the series back to San Antonio, Jon Barry flat out said "no." Prick.

Dex
07-17-2008, 05:32 PM
That's a shame. I like your avatar.

I do, too! It's the one and only avatar I've ever sported over the years on Spurstalk.

I have no hard feelings against Brent; I actually wish him well in Houston. I wish he could've returned here. Of all the dinosaurs on last year's team, I figured he was the one that proved he still had gas left in the tank.

It just seems weird to have him up there now.

Don't worry, I think you'll like my new avatar too.

Dingle Barry
07-17-2008, 05:43 PM

I still need to change my user name.
:depressed

duncan228
07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Don't worry, I think you'll like my new avatar too.

I'm sure I will. :)

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Barry is a classic Rockets' acquisition. Past his prime, facing nagging injuries, and not enough to get them over the top (well, in this case, past the 1st round). But he has a name and that's enough for the Bubbas in HTown, who hang on the Spurs' nuts as much as the Rockets' front office does.

Dex
07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
So long, Barry-tar. Ye served me well.

I even made this avatar myself, and it still feels foreign.

I'm not gonna recognize my own posts anymore!

Sigz
07-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Brent Barry lmao still wearing his Spurs shoes... I like that.

"CIA Pop".

Barry becomes a Rocket, and every game they play against us, literally goes 0-12 from the field clanking every shot he puts up. Running back to get on defense, he looks at the Spurs bench *especially Pop* and gives him a double wink.

"CIA Pop".

duncan228
07-17-2008, 09:43 PM
So long, Barry-tar. Ye served me well.

I even made this avatar myself, and it still feels foreign.

I'm not gonna recognize my own posts anymore!

I'll have no problem recognizing your posts.

And you were right, I like it. :)

DespЏrado
07-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Damn Barry should have been given the opportunity to return...
It sucks to see him in another uniform.

Que Gee
07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Damn Barry should have been given the opportunity to return...
It sucks to see him in another uniform.

Why does everyone think he didn't have the opportunity to return? He "opted out."

I think if I had only a few years left to play, I'd want to spend it in a system that didn't make me stand in a corner and hope that if the play breaks down, you'll get a shot. Or that you'd literally go through 5 or 6 minute stretches where you don't even touch the ball. And you don't have to watch a Finley consistently play in front of you for 2 years, even though you consistently bring more to the game and outplay him. That being said....

Its a good fit...And Houston has just as good a chance as San Antonio or anyone else in the playoffs, assuming they don't have any injuries. Which being said is exactly SA's position. Its a good clean break. Everyone should be happy.

My run at Spurstalk is over. Most of you seem like good peeps...some of you? wow, I don't know where you get your ideas of what you "think" is said or done on the court for the Spurs, but thats what makes it fun to read the board. Maybe I'll come back now and then to drop some info "before" you read it, like I've done a few times....but if not. Its been a good run, and this is the first "board" I've ever posted on. Take care to all...good luck to the Spurs.

Que Gee

duncan228
07-17-2008, 10:10 PM
My run at Spurstalk is over.

Take care Que Gee. I've enjoyed your time here. Thanks for the news and views you brought. Please do drop by, we'll be here.

mystargtr34
07-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Why is he leaving.

duncan228
07-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Why is he leaving.

Don't know, he didn't say. I'll miss him though, he brought some nice insight.

Dex
07-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I'll have no problem recognizing your posts.

And you were right, I like it. :)

Haha, surprise surprise.

The day you don't like something Duncan-related is the day I start marketing sherpa coats to Satan. :blah

As for Que Gee, hopefully he's just PMSing or something because it would be pretty lame to leave this board just because some people have 'lame' takes on Barry going to Houston.

Either that, or he actually secretly is Barry and that was his dramatic exit.

duncan228
07-17-2008, 11:13 PM
Haha, surprise surprise.

The day you don't like something Duncan-related is the day I start marketing sherpa coats to Satan. :blah

:lol I'm pretty predictable with Duncan.

As for Que Gee, hopefully he's just PMSing or something because it would be pretty lame to leave this board just because some people have 'lame' takes on Barry going to Houston.

Either that, or he actually secretly is Barry and that was his dramatic exit.

I didn't read it as just this thread, I took it as the board in general. Like any board, there's good and bad. Maybe the garbage got too much for him to sift through. Or maybe he was just done.

Or...Maybe you're right and it was Barry. Does that mean he'll show up on a Rockets board? :lol

spurscenter
07-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Barry is a classic Rockets' acquisition. Past his prime, facing nagging injuries, and not enough to get them over the top (well, in this case, past the 1st round). But he has a name and that's enough for the Bubbas in HTown, who hang on the Spurs' nuts as much as the Rockets' front office does.

well sumed up

Indazone
07-18-2008, 02:15 AM
I thought Scola was a pretty good nut to pick up lol.

Anyway, here's an article from the Houston Chronicle about Barry.

July 17, 2008, 12:00AM
Rockets' offense, potential appeal to Barry
Veteran believes he can go out with a bang in Houston

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Some chase the money. But Barry has made his share.

The NBA way is to seek both of the above. But Barry knew what he wanted.

He has, he guesses, two more seasons as an NBA player. He wanted to remain with a contender and said Wednesday that with good health the Rockets could be that. But he wanted his last seasons in the NBA to be with a team that would give him a chance to do the things he believes he can do, to play and play the style that might suit him best.

"I think sometimes, as you get later on in your career, you try to gain more perspective," Barry said. "I want to go out playing, and I think this is a great opportunity, something fresh to do and recharge my batteries.

"I have a couple years left. I want to throw everything I can into having two great years and making them here in Houston. In doing that, I think there are going to be some great things surrounding that. Helping this team try to get back to a championship would be something very, very special in the last two years of my career."

Barry, 36, considered joining the Rockets in midseason when the San Antonio Spurs traded him to Seattle and the SuperSonics released him.

In San Antonio, the Spurs had players who could create off the dribble and needed Barry to spread the floor and make 3-pointers. The Rockets have few playmakers, but they could use Barry's ability to create within the cuts and ball movement of the Rockets' planned motion-based offense.

More chances to make plays
The style of offense was such a factor that Barry said it dominated his conversations with his brother, Jon, who played for Rick Adelman in Sacramento.

"Obviously, we all know he can shoot the ball," Adelman said. "He's a great 3-point shooter. I've known and watched since Oregon State. One thing he can do is make plays. Smart players read situations well and make the right pass. He can handle the ball more than he had to in San Antonio, as far as making plays for other people. A lot of what we do, if you read the defense and react, you will be successful. He does that naturally.

"Even with Yao (Ming) and Tracy (McGrady), if he gets the ball, we know he can make a 3, but he can also make the next pass, make the next play. We struggle when, if Tracy does not make a play, no one does. That's where Brent I think really helps us."

A 13-year veteran, Barry has made 40.7 percent of his 3s in his career, averaging 9.7 points and 3.3 assists. He did not play or score as much in San Antonio as he had in his five seasons in Seattle, but he's likely to play more here.

"It's about getting to do more of those things more often," Barry said. "I think that's the appeal of it: the opportunity to do more and more of those things. It's more of a style I'm accustomed to, to play the way the Rockets play. It's something I've done in the past. To get back to that is an exciting thing.

"The style of the offense is set up with the high post passing and more movement out on the perimeter. ... I know the town in Houston is a little bit antsy. The injuries the past couple years have really been what's holding the team back. If the team stays healthy this year, this team will compete on a championship level. And that's something really exciting."

Lineage not the reason
Barry likely will uphold the family tradition of finishing his career with the Rockets as his father Rick and brother Jon did. But that was not the draw.

"It's interesting the way things happen sometimes," Barry said. "I'm just looking for the opportunity to play. It has nothing to do with the lineage of things. I just think it's a great opportunity for me to come in and play a role for a team that's really close, I think, to breaking through and playing at a high level. That's really what the draw is.

"It was not a tough decision. You're choosing between playing for some great teams and having a great job and living the great life, but my decision was to come here and play."

[email protected]

mystargtr34
07-18-2008, 02:23 AM
I thought Scola was a pretty good nut to pick up lol.

Anyway, here's an article from the Houston Chronicle about Barry.

July 17, 2008, 12:00AM
Rockets' offense, potential appeal to Barry
Veteran believes he can go out with a bang in Houston

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Some chase the money. But Barry has made his share.

The NBA way is to seek both of the above. But Barry knew what he wanted.

He has, he guesses, two more seasons as an NBA player. He wanted to remain with a contender and said Wednesday that with good health the Rockets could be that. But he wanted his last seasons in the NBA to be with a team that would give him a chance to do the things he believes he can do, to play and play the style that might suit him best.

"I think sometimes, as you get later on in your career, you try to gain more perspective," Barry said. "I want to go out playing, and I think this is a great opportunity, something fresh to do and recharge my batteries.

"I have a couple years left. I want to throw everything I can into having two great years and making them here in Houston. In doing that, I think there are going to be some great things surrounding that. Helping this team try to get back to a championship would be something very, very special in the last two years of my career."

Barry, 36, considered joining the Rockets in midseason when the San Antonio Spurs traded him to Seattle and the SuperSonics released him.

In San Antonio, the Spurs had players who could create off the dribble and needed Barry to spread the floor and make 3-pointers. The Rockets have few playmakers, but they could use Barry's ability to create within the cuts and ball movement of the Rockets' planned motion-based offense.

More chances to make plays
The style of offense was such a factor that Barry said it dominated his conversations with his brother, Jon, who played for Rick Adelman in Sacramento.

"Obviously, we all know he can shoot the ball," Adelman said. "He's a great 3-point shooter. I've known and watched since Oregon State. One thing he can do is make plays. Smart players read situations well and make the right pass. He can handle the ball more than he had to in San Antonio, as far as making plays for other people. A lot of what we do, if you read the defense and react, you will be successful. He does that naturally.

"Even with Yao (Ming) and Tracy (McGrady), if he gets the ball, we know he can make a 3, but he can also make the next pass, make the next play. We struggle when, if Tracy does not make a play, no one does. That's where Brent I think really helps us."

A 13-year veteran, Barry has made 40.7 percent of his 3s in his career, averaging 9.7 points and 3.3 assists. He did not play or score as much in San Antonio as he had in his five seasons in Seattle, but he's likely to play more here.

"It's about getting to do more of those things more often," Barry said. "I think that's the appeal of it: the opportunity to do more and more of those things. It's more of a style I'm accustomed to, to play the way the Rockets play. It's something I've done in the past. To get back to that is an exciting thing.

"The style of the offense is set up with the high post passing and more movement out on the perimeter. ... I know the town in Houston is a little bit antsy. The injuries the past couple years have really been what's holding the team back. If the team stays healthy this year, this team will compete on a championship level. And that's something really exciting."

Lineage not the reason
Barry likely will uphold the family tradition of finishing his career with the Rockets as his father Rick and brother Jon did. But that was not the draw.

"It's interesting the way things happen sometimes," Barry said. "I'm just looking for the opportunity to play. It has nothing to do with the lineage of things. I just think it's a great opportunity for me to come in and play a role for a team that's really close, I think, to breaking through and playing at a high level. That's really what the draw is.

"It was not a tough decision. You're choosing between playing for some great teams and having a great job and living the great life, but my decision was to come here and play."

[email protected]

Always love a Rockets fan talking trash to a Spurs fan :toast

LocosPorJuana
07-18-2008, 11:59 AM
maybe que gee is really brent barry. =)