PDA

View Full Version : The Gist

remingtonbo2001
07-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm watching a re-run of Game 3. I beginning to notice how quick Gist is with his defensive rotations. He also has quick hands. He has excellent court awareness.

If he is capable of knocking down a consistant jumper, the Spurs may have found another 2nd round gem.

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 10:42 AM
All aboard the GIST train!

Mr. Body
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm on the Gist train.

tp2021
07-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Aaaaallllllllllllll Abooooard!

Jimcs50
07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
You do not start for a Gary Williams team three years, without playing great man for man defense.

Borosai
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I haven't been able to watch the games, so I'm still wondering: can he defend the SF position?

Tully365
07-17-2008, 11:10 AM
He looks really good. Hopefully, he will be this season's Carl Landry. It's nice that there are positive thoughts about Gist to balance out the hysteria around Hill. The guy came out with his shooting elbow wrapped...obviously, he's got some kind of nagging temporary injury to it. The good news about yesterday was the large rebounding advantage against a Knicks team that featured a starting line-up of NBA players. The backcourt of Robinson (last year's summer league MVP) and Collins was held to poor offensive games and Mahinmi, Gist, and Hill dominated the boards.
If Gist can make the complete transition from PF to SF (similar to what Battier did), he could see time backing up Bowen & Udoka. Or he could be a Shawn Marion-type hybrid forward. Either way, he's looking pretty good for a 57th pick.

hater
07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm on that bitch, holding on!!!

MoSpur
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm pulling for this guy to continue to improve in the Summer League and for him to make the roster next season. He seems like a really good player

urunobili
07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
check my sig y'all haters!

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Not a perfect match, but I think he's as close to the "Derrick McKey type" player Pop once waxed wishfully after as the Spurs will ever be able to pick up.

SenorSpur
07-17-2008, 11:18 AM
He looks really good. Hopefully, he will be this season's Carl Landry. It's nice that there are positive thoughts about Gist to balance out the hysteria around Hill. The guy came out with his shooting elbow wrapped...obviously, he's got some kind of nagging temporary injury to it. The good news about yesterday was the large rebounding advantage against a Knicks team that featured a starting line-up of NBA players. The backcourt of Robinson (last year's summer league MVP) and Collins was held to poor offensive games and Mahinmi, Gist, and Hill dominated the boards.
If Gist can make the complete transition from PF to SF (similar to what Battier did), he could see time backing up Bowen & Udoka. Or he could be a Shawn Marion-type hybrid forward. Either way, he's looking pretty good for a 57th pick.

We can only hope that Gist gets a shot at the rotation to warrant such a comparison. Hopefully, he continues his current progression path to earn a spot at the end of the rotation. Also hope that Pop likes him enough to not automatically banish him to an one year apprencticeship in the D-League.

SenorSpur
07-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Not a perfect match, but I think he's as close to the "Derrick McKey type" player Pop once waxed wishfully after as the Spurs will ever be able to pick up.

Good point. So far, the one thing he seems to have on McKey is that he appears to have a more consistent motor than McKey ever had. Dude plays hard all the time. When he's on the floor, he makes his presence felt.

The Truth #6
07-17-2008, 11:24 AM
If he can find ways to score he'll do very well. If he can rebound and play excellent position difference, then that's still more then we could hope for.

I don't see him competing for minutes with Bowen and Udoka. I see Gist competing with Bonner, ideally taking Horry's minutes. Hopefully, Gist continues to play well so that we don't resign Horry. As I've said, there's no reason to bring Horry back. If Gist fails by January, then we bring Horry back (though if that's the case then we're in some trouble.)

Hopefully Gist can be the defender we put on Dirk, West, and Odom. Gist could be the "long 3" we've always needed for specific situations, though really he's the small 4. Same difference.

He could put on some weight, but not so much that it takes away from his quickness, which is what we need.

SenorSpur
07-17-2008, 11:28 AM
All aboard the GIST train!

I'm enjoying watching this guy as much as any of the other rooks.

Spuradicator
07-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Im definetly on the Gist bandwagon. It would be such a boost to find a guy who can contribute this year that was drafted in the 2nd round. And also develop in coming years aswell.

Mitch Cumsteen
07-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I went to the first two summer league games in Vegas. Gist looked great. Very live body, active rebounder and shot blocker. Basically, he's an energy / hustle player off the bench who can provide defense and rebounding. The Spurs haven't had one of those since before Malik Rose signed his contract extension. I really, really liked what I saw out of Gist. He doesn't even need a consistent jumper to help this team, even though IIRC he even knocked down a three against the Hornets. Everything in the summer league needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt, but nothing would make me happier than having a Leon Powe / Carl Landry type of guy on this team. To me, that's what Gist can be, although he could potentially be a better defender and shot blocker than either one of those guys.

One note about Hill.... people are freaking about his shooting (and I didn't see the NY game), but I think the problem is that he's not used to penetrating and finding big defenders waiting for him in the paint. He seems to beat his man off the dribble or off a pick, but he's having problems completing plays once he gets to the basket. He's not really comfortable dropping the ball off and he's definitely not comfortable finishing over the bigger players. When he does get closer to the rim, his body control has been poor and the defense forces him to put up a difficult shot at a bad angle. He's also been over-penetrating a bunch and getting stuck in traffic. He also keeps falling down when he tries to split a double team. I didn't see him miss a lot of wide open jumpers or mid-range shots, although his free throw shooting has been pretty spotty. In short, I think he needs more time to adjust to the bigger/faster defenders on the back line. Not sure he will ever be a true point guard, but he doesn't have to be that to help this team.

On the plus side, he did a great job on OJ Mayo. If he can give them consistent defense and doesn't just completely crap himself on the offensive end, then he is an improvement over Jacque Vaughan.

And one more thing.... based on what I saw (very limited sample size), there is no way in hell Malik Hairston makes this team.

xtremesteven33
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Hill is not looking for his shot. bottom line.

The Truth #6
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
His shot is looking for him...

xtremesteven33
07-17-2008, 11:46 AM
His shot is looking for him...

:depressed

Mitch Cumsteen
07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Not a perfect match, but I think he's as close to the "Derrick McKey type" player Pop once waxed wishfully after as the Spurs will ever be able to pick up.I don't think he's anything like Derrick McKey. McKey was more of a finesse/perimeter player with a high basketball IQ who could do a little bit of everything, including d-ing up his man. Gist is more of an animal on the boards who goes after any and every loose ball, and then tries to rip the rim off if he gets close to it. People are trying to characterize Gist as a perimeter player, but he's going to play around the basket. There's no doubt in my mind.

Spurs1234
07-17-2008, 11:59 AM
i thinkif this gist guy can play like everyone is saying he is, then that will be huge for this team....the spurs have no one that gets put back dunks, and plays that hustle game...looks like a great pick.

spurster
07-17-2008, 12:04 PM
James Gist!

Captain Obvious
07-17-2008, 12:16 PM
My senses tell me his first name is James.

He is black

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't think he's anything like Derrick McKey. McKey was more of a finesse/perimeter player with a high basketball IQ who could do a little bit of everything, including d-ing up his man.

Including defending both forward spots and shooting the ball from outside.

Gist is more of an animal on the boards who goes after any and every loose ball, and then tries to rip the rim off if he gets close to it. People are trying to characterize Gist as a perimeter player, but he's going to play around the basket. There's no doubt in my mind.

Gist seems to be able to step out and defend on the floor a little. If he's more aggressive inside than McKey then that's a plus. The point is that Gist is as close to fitting the profile that Pop said the team was seeking a couple years back. I'm not sure that desire has waned any since then.

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 02:22 PM
wait... what are his numbers from the games... i cant find his stats

go to nba.com and the summer league section and check out the box scores.

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 02:25 PM
How did he fall so far in the draft? He might turn into a real steal if he keeps up what he has been doing so far.

kobyz
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
i hope he can be our 3 of the future, the inheritor of Bowen.

DPG21920
07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
A father was preparing to cook dinner for his 5 year old son one night, as he always did. While he was getting ready, he noticed his son on the floor playing with his train set in the kitchen. He turned his attention back to the stove-top when all of the sudden he heard his son yell: "Allllllllll aboarddddddddd the Gist train you assholes. This train is moving the fuck out, hurry or your fucking asses will miss it".

His father turned around shocked- "what did you say"- said the father. Go to your room right now and do not come out until I tell you to. About 1 hour later the father goes into the child's room and says "if you are ready to behave, you can come have dinner". So the child eats with his father and once he is done he apologetically looks at his dad and asks- "can I go play with my train now"- the father obliges.

The father is doing the dishes when all of the sudden he hears: "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for boarding the Gist train. I apologize for the delay, but if anyone is upset, blame that motherfucker in the kitchen"!

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 02:53 PM
A father was preparing to cook dinner for his 5 year old son one night, as he always did. While he was getting ready, he noticed his son on the floor playing with his train set in the kitchen. He turned his attention back to the stove-top when all of the sudden he heard his son yell: "Allllllllll aboarddddddddd the Gist train you assholes. This train is moving the fuck out, hurry or your fucking asses will miss it".

His father turned around shocked- "what did you say"- said the father. Go to your room right now and do not come out until I tell you to. About 1 hour later the father goes into the child's room and says "if you are ready to behave, you can come have dinner". So the child eats with his father and once he is done he apologetically looks at his dad and asks- "can I go play with my train now"- the father obliges.

The father is doing the dishes when all of the sudden he hears: "Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for boarding the Gist train. I apologize for the delay, but if anyone is upset, blame that motherfucker in the kitchen"!

:lol:lol

wisnub
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Im aboard in Gist train...FINALLY WE GOT 2nd ROUND POTENTIAL

wisnub
07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
udoka got competitor for heiring Bowne's throne. Thats good...i aint tripping, im worrying like fuck about our roster.

Spurtacus
07-17-2008, 03:44 PM
No Gist train picture?

I'm aboard.

tav1
07-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Ironically, I'm concerned about Gist being too good. If he attains to Landry-like prowess he'll get an MLE type deal next offseaon and eat into our 2010 plan. I hope the Spurs can lock him up on gauranteed contract for 3 seasons at, say, 1.5 per year. I know that this goes beyond 2010 but it'll make the team more attractive to the free agent class of 2010 if Gist is already under contract--and it's much better to pay him 4.5 over 3 years than, say, 13 over 3 years.

Give him a good rookie contract, RC. Give him security, and save yourself the cap room later.

Dingle Barry
07-17-2008, 04:28 PM

:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Jlowd21
07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't think he's anything like Derrick McKey. McKey was more of a finesse/perimeter player with a high basketball IQ who could do a little bit of everything, including d-ing up his man. Gist is more of an animal on the boards who goes after any and every loose ball, and then tries to rip the rim off if he gets close to it. People are trying to characterize Gist as a perimeter player, but he's going to play around the basket. There's no doubt in my mind.

Right! Gist is in no way a perimeter player. Watch any of his games at Maryland and you'll know that.

tav1
07-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Right! Gist is in no way a perimeter player. Watch any of his games at Maryland and you'll know that.

Gist does have something of an emerging perimeter game. Have you watched the summer league games? Not yet established, but promising.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Ironically, I'm concerned about Gist being too good. If he attains to Landry-like prowess he'll get an MLE type deal next offseaon and eat into our 2010 plan. I hope the Spurs can lock him up on gauranteed contract for 3 seasons at, say, 1.5 per year. I know that this goes beyond 2010 but it'll make the team more attractive to the free agent class of 2010 if Gist is already under contract--and it's much better to pay him 4.5 over 3 years than, say, 13 over 3 years.

Give him a good rookie contract, RC. Give him security, and save yourself the cap room later.

Guaranteed money for pick #57 of the draft is kinda rare, especially at that level. Since you mention Landry, he got a two year deal for the minimum as pick #31 last year, so it's highly doubtful Gist will be seeing a mil+ per year contract anytime soon. The Spurs have given a 3 year deal to a 2nd round pick before (Sato?), much of it non-guaranteed, but one which would allow them to eventually hold the player's Bird Rights if he's any good. Again, they have really good leverage in negotiating a deal with Gist or Hairston.

spurman20
07-17-2008, 05:39 PM
How did he fall so far in the draft? He might turn into a real steal if he keeps up what he has been doing so far.

Undersized 4 who may need to play 3 in the pros. Questions about his ball handling and shooting range. Plus a very deep draft pushed him down.

angelbelow
07-17-2008, 05:40 PM
wow so gist actually got 10 points and 10 rebounds and it was actually considered an off game.. thats good news!

tav1
07-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Guaranteed money for pick #57 of the draft is kinda rare, especially at that level. Since you mention Landry, he got a two year deal for the minimum as pick #31 last year, so it's highly doubtful Gist will be seeing a mil+ per year contract anytime soon. The Spurs have given a 3 year deal to a 2nd round pick before (Sato?), much of it non-guaranteed, but one which would allow them to eventually hold the player's Bird Rights if he's any good. Again, they have really good leverage in negotiating a deal with Gist or Hairston.

Fine, but I don't want them to be in a situation where they have to pay MLE money in a summer or two. I'd prefer locking him into a rookie scale. I'm being presumptive here, but Gist looks like a keeper to me.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 05:44 PM
Fine, but I don't want them to be in a situation where they have to pay MLE money in a summer or two. I'd prefer locking him into a rookie scale. I'm being presumptive here, but Gist looks like a keeper to me.

Then they can give him a 3 year deal at the minimum with most of it non-guaranteed and mix in a team option as well. He doesn't really have much leverage at this point.

200 miles
07-17-2008, 05:48 PM

that was a little disturbing

tav1
07-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Then they can give him a 3 year deal at the minimum with most of it non-guaranteed and mix in a team option as well. He doesn't really have much leverage at this point.

I'm a very happy man, if this is true.

NewJerSpur
07-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Have yet to see the guy play (don't really watch college sports of any kind like that). Anyone got any Summer League film on him? Does he have any semblance of a jump shot?

angelbelow
07-17-2008, 07:20 PM
they should offer him a 2 year at the minimum the 2nd year being a team option, or a 3 year contract at minimum with a player option in the 3rd.

misterx91578
07-17-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm in :danceclub

angelbelow
07-17-2008, 09:19 PM
another solid game, and he didnt even play the 4th.

silk
07-18-2008, 04:47 AM
There are so much Gist fans and posts about what he can do well that i get a litle confused

Don't get me wrong, i like this gist guy a lot but i would like to know more about his weaknesses, heck, i don't care he was the 57th pick or so, on a basketball standpoint, right now, what would prevent him to be on the rotation ?

hater
07-18-2008, 08:09 AM
He can score, is long, athletic and strong. a package none of the other Spurs have

rascal
07-18-2008, 08:56 AM
If everyone likes him so much then why so few of you thought he would make the team when asked in the poll about a week ago? I knew he brought something to the team that it did not have, a long athletic perimeter defender who can run in transition and finish with monster dunks . I liked him to make the team right when I first read his bio and thought he would be the player that saved the draft for the spurs.

JPB
07-18-2008, 09:03 AM
If everyone likes him so much then why so few of you thought he would make the team when asked in the poll about a week ago? I knew he brought something to the team that it did not have, a long athletic perimeter defender who can run in transition and finish with monster dunks . I liked him to make the team right when I first read his bio and thought he would be the player that saved the draft for the spurs.

The answer is your question.

remingtonbo2001
07-18-2008, 09:34 AM

Did you want a cookie?

rascal
07-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Did you want a cookie?

Have some foresight next time.

Gino2882
07-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Did you want a cookie?

:lol If he called it, give him his props son.

rlballin1
07-18-2008, 10:56 AM
I dont wanna be argumentative but really rascal?? You had so much forsight by reading a draft bio and KNOWING it would work out? Come on now. I'm sure the people that watched the tape of his games, studied his statistics, and watched his workouts didnt KNOW he would work out. Yet you, who blog, KNEW he would be what the SPURS needed.

You do deserve a cookie

terpfan
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Gist does have something of an emerging perimeter game. Have you watched the summer league games? Not yet established, but promising.

This is correct. His senior year he obviously put a lot of emphasis on improving his all around game. He knocked down the open college 3 pretty consistently and was usually money on little turn around jumpers on the baseline. He would tend to fall in love with his jumper and abandon what he does best, but I chalk that up to him trying to do too much on a sub par Maryland team. His signature game last year was against NC st. He put up 30 on 13-18, 9 boards, 3 blocks. He gets a lot of blocks coming from the blind side on help defense but sometimes he gets caught out of position trying to make highlight reel blocks, but again, I don't think this will be a problem in the NBA as he'll have to tune it down a bit if he wants to play. His handle needs some work if you guys want him to be a 3 eventually but the man works hard so its possible. But yeah you're getting a real athlete and a gym rat who loves the game and should get better on a great team like the Spurs.

I. Hustle
07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
He’s a beast
He’s a dog
He’s a muthafukkin problem

hater
07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
:lol If he called it, give him his props son.

except this is same guy who wants to trade manu for Carter

Ronaldo McDonald
07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
After I saw him in his first Summer league game I posted here that I thought he was going to be a player and I still think that will.

He probably will make the rotation just for what he brings defensively - blocks, rebounds, and good M2M. And he is a surprisingly consistent shooter.

Hell yea I'm on the bandwagon.

lefty
07-18-2008, 01:12 PM
pWH5NhkfjbE

nkdlunch
07-18-2008, 01:20 PM
YwXtuO1SGG8

gkZSvaics68&NR

MgjxK-VuFog

dn4TGTx8YM4

spursreport
07-18-2008, 02:26 PM
If Gist is truly this type of player, no way they leave him off the active 12 man roster. They will find a way to make that happen regardless of what Timvp says or thinks. If he is that good, he will be in the rotation no matter what this season.

Spurtacus
07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
James Gist sacked Rome with his left bicep.

ChumpDumper
07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Actually Forbes and Gist are two that I would like the Spurs to look at in the second round.

The Toronto pick could get the Spurs a skilled SF like Forbes or Calathes.

I pretty much want to take a flyer on the best athlete left with #57 (Weems, Taylor, Gist, Hunter -- whatever).

I really don't know anything about the draft, but I love backing into a kluby.

oligarchy
07-18-2008, 08:38 PM
I really don't know anything about the draft, but I love backing into a kluby.

http://blogs.graphicdesignforum.com/mlenhart/archives/images/pat_on_the_back_1.jpg

BOHOLANO#21
07-18-2008, 10:03 PM
GIST is our saviour.
just gist it!

Manufan909
07-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Go Gist! And I was wondering if the vids nkd posted worked for everyone, cuz for me they all said this video is unavailable