View Full Version : Spurs need a shooter

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Swingman rotation (as of now):

2 Ginobili
2 Mason
2/3 Udoka
3 Bowen

There's one spot left for the active roster in this rotation. Barry and Finley shot the ball quite well in SA. Mason shot just a hair shy of 40% on 300+ 3-point FG attempts last season, so there's hope, but I think the Spurs could use another swingman who can really shoot the 3. Before last season I'd say that Matt Barnes might be that player (really wouldn't complain if the Spurs could pick him up).

Other potential candidates:

Ricky Davis - has been a prolific and accurate shooter for the Heat over the last two seasons, shooting 40% on 643 3-point FG attempts during that time. Of course, he probably is seeking too much $ over too many years and he doesn't necessarily fit the profile of the 'prototypical Spur.'

Gordan Giricek - a career 36.8% 3 point shooter, though he's never really been a volume shooter in his career (most 3 point attempts in one season: 119). Reportedly has a large offer from a European club.

Maurice Evans - shot the 3 well last season (39.6% on 202 attempts). Nice athleticism to boot.

Bostjan Nachbar - would be an ok fit, but seems to be looking for more $ and years than the Spurs are willing to commit.

Kirk Snyder - shot the ball well in his first two NBA seasons, but he's been abysmal in limited minutes during the next two.

Casey Jacobsen - shot the ball rather well from 3 in his first 3 NBA seasons before heading to the continent to play for Tau (:( ) and then in Germany. Last season with the Grizz he wasn't too hot in limited minutes.

I think someone like Evans would fit in well with where the Spurs are headed. I could see Davis if the Spurs wanted someone who can score and shoot the 3 in a fair number of minutes to help rest Ginobili during the season.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 12:10 PM
What are your thoughts on Juan Dixon?

xtremesteven33
07-17-2008, 12:12 PM
what happened to Delfino?

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 12:13 PM
What are your thoughts on Juan Dixon?

Wouldn't be my first choice, though I could see him as the 5th swingman if the Spurs really wanted a shooter there above all else.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
what happened to Delfino?

I believe he's headed to Moscow for 3 years, 73 millions rubles.

honestfool84
07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
im guessing we still have an opportunity to sign these guys before the off season is over..

i suppose you don't have the FO email, so we can tell them to sign one of them?

:D

Captain Obvious
07-17-2008, 12:19 PM
My senses tell me...

Seeing how everyone on the Spurs roster is a professional basketball player, I believe everyone can shoot.

LocosPorJuana
07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
how about a trade with houston for the rights to santiago splitter? Luther Head would be a great fit and clutch shooter.

Streakyshooter08
07-17-2008, 12:21 PM
The reason why I also would like Barnes is his defense and rebounding. He has good size and is not too old. He would be awesome for the money the Spurs could offer.

spurman20
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Dixon? No thanks, Delfino will prob go over seas but Det is a poss. R Davis I have been calling for him all summer....not likely. You know how we hate anyone who can dunk!

I still think a play for JJ Redick would be nice. Then maybe Tony Allen then Mo Evens.......But the guy form summer team Tolliver looks like he could help too!

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
how about a trade with houston for the rights to santiago splitter? Luther Head would be a great fit and clutch shooter.

No thanks.

spurman20
07-17-2008, 12:23 PM
My senses tell me...

Seeing how everyone on the Spurs roster is a professional basketball player, I believe everyone can shoot.

False! Please see Oberto for further explination.:rollin

Captain Obvious
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM
False! Please see Oberto for further explination.:rollin

I'm always right. Oberto plays Center for the Spurs.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Top choices are:
1. Barnes
2. Dixon
3. Evans

tav1
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Good post, Marcus. Of that list, it's all about Mo Evans, methinks. But he doesn't get to the rim, which is a problem. But sign me up for Evans on a 2 year deal for 3.8 million.

Azubuike didnt make the list, I'm guessing that's because you're assuming he's out of the the Spurs price range.

My list for final swing is:

1) Azubuike
2) Chandler
3) Evans
4) Balkman
5) Tony Allen

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
I still think a play for JJ Redick would be nice.

Who/what would the Spurs trade for him? I wouldn't give up too much for him.

Then maybe Tony Allen then Mo Evens.......But the guy form summer team Tolliver looks like he could help too!

Allen hasn't really been much of a gunner in his NBA career. Plus with Posey gone the C's will probably bring him back. Tolliver is a 4.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Hopefully Azubuike would fade away from the market and sign with us for cheap, like Udoka last year.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Good post, Marcus. Of that list, it's all about Mo Evans, methinks. But he doesn't get to the rim, which is a problem. But sign me up for Evans on a 2 year deal for 3.8 million.

Azubuike didnt make the list, I'm guessing that's because you're assuming he's out of the the Spurs price range.

My list for final swing is:

1) Azubuike
2) Chandler
3) Evans
4) Balkman
5) Tony Allen

The list is UFAs. Sure, trades are a possibility, I guess. I don't really see the Spurs making a deal if they can land one of those UFAs.

Marcus Bryant
Hopefully Azubuike would fade away from the market and sign with us for cheap, like Udoka last year.

GS would match.

hater
how about Brent Barry?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 12:31 PM
GS would match.

Crap, I forgot he was restricted.

Mr. Body
07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I have the feeling Roger Mason is the shooter you're expecting. The off-season is just about over.

tav1
07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
The list is UFAs. Sure, trades are a possibility, I guess. I don't really see the Spurs making a deal if they can land one of those UFAs.

Right, of course.

Chandler and Balkman headline our much utilized trade exception thread.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Right, of course.

Chandler and Balkman headline our much utilized trade exception thread.

Neither really tore it up against the Spurs' abysmal summerleague talent yesterday.

honestfool84
07-17-2008, 12:36 PM
how about Brent Barry?

:toast

wait.
i think he signed with the rockets.
:nope

oligarchy
07-17-2008, 12:37 PM
I'd say Barnes or Giricek, at this point.

timaios
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Finley will be back.

hater
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
I'd say Barnes or Giricek, at this point.

I would not mind this. Giricek my 1st choice

spurman20
07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I wouldnt give alot for Redick because we would most likely not keep him after 2010 season. It was rumored that Orlando is willing to dump him for a couple second round picks. I have also heard they would take cash for his rights.

Thier GM has said he wouldnt trade him, then tried to give him away on draft night, now its up in the air. The Pacers were interested but Orl wanted Idague........Dont know how you spell his name but the PF for Indy. Bird shot that deal down. Orlando needs help up front so lets pond bonner off on them!!

bigdog
07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
of the guys mentioned, the only ones I really like are Barnes and Nachbar.

Davis is a good player, but his ego will want more money and more years.
Giricek would be decent, but we could do better.
Evans is undersized, and we need someone that's taller than 6-5 on the wing.(Udoka&Mason)
Dixon is undersized. See above ^^^
Snyder's jumpshot looks absolutely horrible.
Jacobsen has the talent, but it would be a reach to get him, and depend on him to contribute right away.
NO to Redick. The dude is undersized. I like his shooting ability, but he will get killed when he's defending.

I like Barnes. He could be available for cheap after the season he had this past year.

Nachbar had somewhat of a breakout season in NJ. I'm surprised we haven't heard about many teams wanting him. Maybe he's asking for too much, so hopefully he will fall out of favor with most teams and he could sign for cheap.

Another guy I like is Tony Allen, if he could stay healthy. When healthy, this guy is full of energy, and he is a very solid defender. We could use that.

manufor3
07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
im really high on evans. he looked great in orlando

Flux451
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Pop has already said Finely will be back.

I disagree with about 90% of people on here. I like Finely still.

Mason is a great shooter. I would like to see him at point and Hill at SG.

Bruno
07-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Even if he isn't a great shooter I like Barnes as 5th swingman.
However, I don't think at all that Spurs and Pop are looking to add a player like that. They will simply re-sign Finley.

SenorSpur
07-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Pop has already said Finely will be back.

I disagree with about 90% of people on here. I like Finely still.

Mason is a great shooter. I would like to see him at point and Hill at SG.

Then you, sir, are definitely in the minority.

Mason is most certainly a SG.

Hill is too small to play the SG position in this league.

Finley is simply done and shouldn't be invited back.

urunobili
07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Azubuike anyone?

benefactor
07-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Finley will be back.
NO

Mr. Body
07-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Finley is coming back.

2centsworth
07-17-2008, 01:24 PM
roster is set and who is anyone to say the spurs need more. Spurs FO has 4 rings, they know what they're doing.

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
The roster is not set and the FO is likely looking for a shooter.

xtremesteven33
07-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Spurs FO has 4 rings, they know what they're doing.

:toast

2centsworth
07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
The roster is not set and the FO is likely looking for a shooter.

they are looking for a penetrator/defender, but they don't need anything.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Azubuike anyone?

They would match whatever we offer him, as stated by MB in the first page.

WildcardManu
07-17-2008, 01:55 PM
I would much like to see Finley back just to have some more veteran presence for the rookie(s). We forget that Finley is clutch when we need him the most, but of course he's no Robert Horry.

sabar
07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
I've been waiting for this topic to come up. Barry shot 42% on threes last season, which is really good (he has had percentages up to 45%), so it is important that we get someone that has a consistent shot. Roger Mason has only had one year of shooting the three ball at a decent clip so I think it is important to have an insurance policy, otherwise, every play the Spurs draw for a 3 point shot will go to Manu and that will get predictable.

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Finley will be back.

:depressed

SenorSpur
07-17-2008, 02:15 PM
The reason why I also would like Barnes is his defense and rebounding. He has good size and is not too old. He would be awesome for the money the Spurs could offer.

Same here. I like Barnes for exactly the same reasons. I would presume he would be an even cheaper option than he would've been this time last year.

After him, I like Mo Evans. I'm not crazy about his height, but he did start numerous games at SG for Orlando and gave them a nice punch. I don't know what kind of defender he is. Obviously, the Magic felt they needed a better option because they elected to let him walk.

MoSpur
07-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Do not bring Finley back.

kobyz
07-17-2008, 02:24 PM
from the un RFA this is my choice:

1) Maurice Evans - i think it's un realistic, he is too expensive
2) Finley - i dont know why you are so hard on Finley, he was solid last year, we won some games thanks to him including game 7 against the Hornets

3) the other i dont like

2centsworth
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
If somehow he could clean up his act I would like to see Devin Brown

SenorSpur
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
For those still asking the question, about the harsh criticism of Finley, when you pull back the curtain on him - he is what he's been the past 4-5 seasons - a one-trick pony. If he's not consistently hitting his outside shot, and tends to be very inconsistent, he doesn't bring much else to the table. No defense, no rebounding, doesn't or cannot drive to the cup, can't create his own shot or shots for others. The only difference is that he's now in his middle 30's. He is what he is.

In my mind, Finley woeful inconsistency from game to game contributed greatly to these scoring droughts.

Pop may very well elect to bring him back as an option, but I really hope he looks elsewhere first. Hopefully the FO will consider a couple of the options listed by MB.

DPG21920
07-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Finley

Solid D
07-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Right now, there are a couple of variables. Thomas and Finley. I assume Thomas signs with the Spurs, but if he didn't re-sign for some reason...that means the Spurs may have to spend some money to get a Big. Pop also loves Fin.

As much as I'd like to see Matt Barnes in a Spurs uniform, I'm not sure what it will take to get him or if another Cali team won't entice him to play and stay there. He lost his mom to cancer last year and that was tough on him but other than that, I'm not sure what happened to him in Nellie's eyes late last season. Supposedly Brandon Wright and Pietrus outplayed Matt but it was curious. Matt turned down signing up for 3 years, only re-upping for 1 yr, so hmmmm....was Nellie holding Matt('s value) down for any reason?

silk
07-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I think it will be finley, pop said he would definitely be back, get used to it, he's a good vet, can still shoot despites his struggles, fit well with the team; on a reduced role as a 4th or 5th swing, he would do okay

Just wonder how he would take that role, it was stated that he always had to feel important or to contribute in a decisive way

Same way for Horry, would he gladly step back for mahinmi ?

mrspurs
07-17-2008, 03:03 PM
i know scoring was a problem all season long, but imo if we would have had another big next to tim we woulda had better defense in the paint........i say we save a spot for a bigman who can play now not when ian develops(that might be to late)...and the heck with a big who can hit the 3....how bout a big who can rebound,block shots and scare ya a little when your driving in for layup. last time i looked after tim there is noone...hello.... how bout some defense before we find another (or you on or off tonight player)

SenorSpur
07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
i know scoring was a problem all season long,

..and as the starting 2 guard for most of the season, Finley was a major culprit with that problem.

tav1
07-17-2008, 03:53 PM
Neither really tore it up against the Spurs' abysmal summerleague talent yesterday.

Spurs D was good.

Chandler has big time talent and would nice in a Toros uniform next season and Spurs uniform in 2009. Uber-athletic wing with an emerging jump shot. If the injury bug hit, he could play minute for the Spurs now. I doubt Walsh gives him up, but he is exactly the kind of athletic 3 we've been looking for.

Balkman is not a fit for D'Antoni's system, but would look very nice in Pop's, minus the lack of a 3 pt stroke. Still for the TE and a pick, he's better than one could expect.

Brutalis
07-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Nooo shit we need a shooter.

MoSpur
07-17-2008, 03:55 PM
What ever happened to Derek Anderson? LOL

Spurtacus
07-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Finley will be back. I've given up hope of anyone else coming to SA.

Spurs Brazil
07-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I like Barnes but the Spurs will sign Finley and maybe he'll start the season starting at SG and then after a month or two go to the bench. Like HITA in 2003

Brutalis
07-17-2008, 04:01 PM
What ever happened to Derek Anderson? LOL

Spurs didn't wanna pay him so he left for Portland. Then fell off the map a year later.

angelbelow
07-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Swingman rotation (as of now):

2 Ginobili
2 Mason
2/3 Udoka
3 Bowen

There's one spot left for the active roster in this rotation. Barry and Finley shot the ball quite well in SA. Mason shot just a hair shy of 40% on 300+ 3-point FG attempts last season, so there's hope, but I think the Spurs could use another swingman who can really shoot the 3. Before last season I'd say that Matt Barnes might be that player (really wouldn't complain if the Spurs could pick him up).

Other potential candidates:

Ricky Davis - has been a prolific and accurate shooter for the Heat over the last two seasons, shooting 40% on 643 3-point FG attempts during that time. Of course, he probably is seeking too much $ over too many years and he doesn't necessarily fit the profile of the 'prototypical Spur.'

Gordan Giricek - a career 36.8% 3 point shooter, though he's never really been a volume shooter in his career (most 3 point attempts in one season: 119). Reportedly has a large offer from a European club.

Maurice Evans - shot the 3 well last season (39.6% on 202 attempts). Nice athleticism to boot.

Bostjan Nachbar - would be an ok fit, but seems to be looking for more $ and years than the Spurs are willing to commit.

Kirk Snyder - shot the ball well in his first two NBA seasons, but he's been abysmal in limited minutes during the next two.

Casey Jacobsen - shot the ball rather well from 3 in his first 3 NBA seasons before heading to the continent to play for Tau (:( ) and then in Germany. Last season with the Grizz he wasn't too hot in limited minutes.

I think someone like Evans would fit in well with where the Spurs are headed. I could see Davis if the Spurs wanted someone who can score and shoot the 3 in a fair number of minutes to help rest Ginobili during the season.

i like nachbar. hes shown that he can slam over someone when necessary. that entire nets team was just a disaster so im not judging him too hard on how much passion he played with. besides for this price we cant expect a super energetic passion player who practices 24/7 anyways.

also wouldnt mind evans, we tried to get him in the summer of 05 but he chose the pistons over us, im sure we still have some sort of interest. he also played well for the magics last year, but he just isnt a starter in this league, if he is part of our 5 man 2/3 rotation then that just be great for him.

tav1
07-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Nachbar could be had for the exception. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 06:22 PM
I like Barnes but the Spurs will sign Finley and maybe he'll start the season starting at SG and then after a month or two go to the bench. Like HITA in 2003

What's HITA?

underdawg
07-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Has Pargo signed or is he too expensive? I'm just wondering why y'all haven't mentioned him.

Spurs Brazil
07-17-2008, 06:40 PM
What's HITA?

S.Smith, herpes in the ass

Sway
07-17-2008, 06:52 PM

I dont get it, why is his nick HITA?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 07:37 PM

:lol

Brutalis
07-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Has Pargo signed or is he too expensive? I'm just wondering why y'all haven't mentioned him.

That's not even funny.

spurman20
07-17-2008, 10:36 PM
i know scoring was a problem all season long, but imo if we would have had another big next to tim we woulda had better defense in the paint........i say we save a spot for a bigman who can play now not when ian develops(that might be to late)...and the heck with a big who can hit the 3....how bout a big who can rebound,block shots and scare ya a little when your driving in for layup. last time i looked after tim there is noone...hello.... how bout some defense before we find another (or you on or off tonight player)

Im with you dude. Bring back the D of the Robinson years. That is what we are missing!

ChumpDumper
07-17-2008, 10:39 PM
We're missing David Robinson.

This is some brilliant analysis.

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM

:lol

spurman20
07-17-2008, 11:46 PM

You dont have to have D Rob to find a shot blocker and a tuff guy!! Go get Ratliff or D Harrison. Stop starting a 6-10 puss at the 5 spot. Has Oberto ever blocked a shot?:bang

ChumpDumper
07-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Are you their agent?

Ratliff sucks now and Harrison never did anything but suck -- and threaten to murder current Spurs players.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Choices are narrowing down. Some reasonable options:

Ricky Davis
Juan Dixon
Maurice Evans
Sasha Vujacic
Delonte West

After those guys, I don't know who else the Spurs would be interested in.

tp2021
07-21-2008, 04:48 PM
I think the Celtics re-upped with Tony Allen and Eddie House.

nil.ball
07-21-2008, 04:48 PM
Maurice Evans is underrated, you guys should get him!

tp2021
07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
I think the Celtics re-upped with Tony Allen and Eddie House.

2 year deals for both
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3498233&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

wildbill2u
07-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Finley will be cheap and knows the system. If he can adjust to playing behind some of the rooks and newbies, he will be too good a financial deal for the FO to pass up.

Steve-O-Matic
07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Finley is a total liability at this point, and that's not going to suddenly change now that he's a year older and slower. He's nothing more than a spot-up shooter, and even that element of his game has declined dramatically as he dipped to 41% on FG's and 37% on 3's (lower than Roger Mason in both categories). He can't drive, he can't handle, he can't create for others, and to say that he can't defend at this point is like saying that Fabricio Oberto can't hit his 3's. Finley has a net-negative effect when he's in the game - period. "Knowledge of the system" does not counter-balance that. Sean Elliott knows the system too, but that doesn't mean I want us trotting HIM out there. I'd put the chances of Finley returning at less than 5%, and anyone who thinks he'd be an asset to us on the floor is completely dilusional.

SenorSpur
07-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Finley is a total liability at this point, and that's not going to suddenly change now that he's a year older and slower. He's nothing more than a spot-up shooter, and even that element of his game has declined dramatically as he dipped to 41% on FG's and 37% on 3's (lower than Roger Mason in both categories). He can't drive, he can't handle, he can't create for others, and to say that he can't defend at this point is like saying that Fabricio Oberto can't hit his 3's. Finley has a net-negative effect when he's in the game - period. "Knowledge of the system" does not counter-balance that. Sean Elliott knows the system too, but that doesn't mean I want us trotting HIM out there. I'd put the chances of Finley returning at less than 5%, and anyone who thinks he'd be an asset to us on the floor is completely dilusional.

A big two :tu :tu to you sir.

The plain truth is Finley was a one-trick pony when he arrived here from Dallas. Furthermore, his skills were already declining when he showed up. It's just that when he arrived three years ago, he was still a decent enough shooter to warrant looking past his emerging flaws and his declining athleticism. Despite the fact that he was once a 20-pt scorer in this league, his shooting has always been fairly inconsistent. Earlier in his career, he could offset those periods by slashing to the basket and getting to the FT line. Now that isn't the case.

If anyone watched his last 3-4 years in a Mavs uniform, his penchant for going to the basket tailed off alltogether. Thus causing the local fans and media to revile the downward spiral in his production, versus his max contract. At this point, it appears that his gradual decline has virtually "bottomed out".

I absolutely agree with you in that Finley has declined to a point to where he now is a total liability on the court. Regardless as to how much he "knows the system", keep in mind, this team underwent severe scoring droughts with him as the starting 2-guard! Hence, the Spurs cannot entertain the thought of bringing him back.

The Franchise
07-21-2008, 08:43 PM

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao That was the funniest shit I've read in a long time! This coming from a Houston fan.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-26-2008, 05:50 PM
What about Shannon Brown?

AFBlue
07-26-2008, 06:06 PM

Other options?

Spurtacus
07-26-2008, 06:45 PM
As much as I wanted Finley to go, there isn't another shooter available that I want. Put him behind Ginobili and Mason. Heck, even George Hill could play the 2 at times.

Manufan909
07-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Mason better perform like he did in his starts last season. We all know he'll get his shots.

Chen
07-27-2008, 05:33 PM
This team always need a mid-range shooter.....

porksword
07-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Shooter? I hear Jason Williams can shoot. Unless you are talking about shooting a basketball .

On a serious note, I like Juan Dixon. Though I think Finley will be back. Which actually isn't a bad thing if you think about it. If one of these young guys slumps maybe Finley in a reduced role can get his legs under him long enough to contribute. All the while allowing said young guy the opportunity to slowly work outta said slump. If that makes any sense.

angelbelow
07-28-2008, 02:42 AM
damn maybe we should have just matched the deal the rockets offer brent..

sprrs
07-28-2008, 03:06 AM

You're delusional if you think he has less than a 5% chance of returning. I'd put that number at 85% at the bare minimum.

I wouldn't mind Finley at an absolute max of 10 minutes per game, and definitely not starting. If we only use him in case of emergencies, then it's worth risking that he finds his shot again.