PDA

View Full Version : In Vegas: Mahinmi Is Next (Hoopsworld)

duncan228
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9510

In Vegas: Mahinmi is Next
By: Yannis Koutroupis

The San Antonio Spurs front office has become somewhat feared throughout the league because of their international scouting ability. Guys like Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, that many teams didn't feel would be successful in the NBA, have become two of the league's biggest stars. Luis Scola was also a Spurs draftee, but we won't go there.

That's why when the Spurs selected Ian Mahinmi in the first round of the 2005 draft everyone automatically assumed he was going to be the next in line of great international picks for the Spurs despite knowing little about him. No one had Mahinmi slated as a first round pick. In fact, all there was in terms of footage before the draft of Ian was a fuzzy video displaying an awkward but athletic 6'9 kid throwing it down and falling in the process.

Ian has come a long way in his basketball career though, as he revealed to HOOPSWORLD's Jessica Camerato in Las Vegas.

"I started playing professionally when I was 16. I played for a first division team in France and played just a little bit. My second year I started to really improve and play a lot more. I then got drafted by the Spurs and was left over there to keep working and improving on my game. I played in the French League and Euro League, which are really famous over there. The French play our kind of game. I tried to get ready to make the big jump. Last year I came over here, played a little bit with the Spurs, and then got sent to the D League. I played with the Toros for most of the year and got to the finals with them. Then I went back to the Spurs for the playoffs. Now I'm here playing in summer league," said Mahinmi.

The Spurs sent Mahinmi to the development league because during limited time with the team last year it was obvious that he was just not ready. They did keep really close tabs on him though.

"Coach Q (Quin Synder, Toros head coach) is a big part of the Spurs' organization. There were always people at the gym all the time for my practices and games. Everyone kept in touch with me. I got mail and texts every week. Every once and awhile I would get a call from Coach Pop telling me what they think about me and I would have meetings with him. It was a long process but they really looked out for me all year long," explained Mahinmi.

As Mahinmi stated earlier, he made it to the NBDL finals with the Austin Toros. While they would love to have him back, Ian will probably not be spending much time in the D next year. The Spurs are in need of a young athletic defensive presence alongside Tim Duncan, and Mahinmi can certainly provide that.

While Tiaggo Splitter opting to stay with his team overseas was a big loss for the Spurs, it provides an opportunity for them to find out what they have in Mahinmi. Mahinmi had a lot of success overseas in the Euro and French leagues, he caused havoc last year in the D league, and now it's time establish himself at the highest level.

spurman20
07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I have not been impressed with his D so far!

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 01:25 PM
The next step is for him to get minutes early next season in the rotation.

duncan228
07-17-2008, 01:27 PM
The next step is for him to get minutes early next season in the rotation.

Do you think he's ready?

Marcus Bryant
07-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Do you think he's ready?

As ready as he's ever going to be. Spurs fans seem to forget what it's like to have a rookie join the team.

duncan228
07-17-2008, 01:35 PM
As ready as he's ever going to be.

I hope he can do well. I'm rooting for him.

Spurs fans seem to forget what it's like to have a rookie join the team.

:lol

Spurs fans are spoiled, especially any that came on board after the first title. The Duncan years have been incredible, it's easy to get spoiled with the kind of winning they've done.

oligarchy
07-17-2008, 01:37 PM
He's not completely ready, but it's time to sink or swim at this point. He still needs bulk, which isn't going to happen this season. I think he probably has a better than advertised offensive skill set at this point, but his defense is lacking. Partly because of his weight, and partly because he isn't great at positioning. This leads to slow rotations for him or poor attempts at shot blocking. This was part of the reason he was so poor at rebounding last year.

stéphane
07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
[Mahinmi had a lot of success overseas in the Euro and French leagues

Why do guys write things they have no idea about...
Oups hoopsworld article :rolleyes

WildcardManu
07-17-2008, 01:48 PM
All he needs is playing time to start developing in the NBA. There's alot of players that come into lowly teams that have to mature really fast because they are just thrown into the mix out of desperation from the FO and coaches.

duncan228
07-17-2008, 01:52 PM
Oups hoopsworld article :rolleyes

I put Hoopsworld in the thread title to warn people. :lol

MavDynasty
07-17-2008, 01:52 PM
I hope he can do well. I'm rooting for him.

:lol

Spurs fans are spoiled, especially any that came on board after the first title. The Duncan years have been incredible, it's easy to get spoiled with the kind of winning they've done.

Every other team is jealous :toast

MoSpur
07-17-2008, 02:21 PM
I can see Pop getting in his face a lot this season. I hope Ian handles it well.

kobyz
07-17-2008, 02:31 PM
i think he should start next year, playing beside Duncan can decrease his pressure and make him good!

Thomas82
07-17-2008, 03:18 PM
i think he should start next year, playing beside Duncan can decrease his pressure and make him good!

That's actually not a bad idea.

nfg3
07-17-2008, 03:35 PM
He's not completely ready, but it's time to sink or swim at this point. He still needs bulk, which isn't going to happen this season. I think he probably has a better than advertised offensive skill set at this point, but his defense is lacking. Partly because of his weight, and partly because he isn't great at positioning. This leads to slow rotations for him or poor attempts at shot blocking. This was part of the reason he was so poor at rebounding last year.

Agreed. The D league isn't going to "season" this guy anymore so it's time for the big league.

Ian needs minutes early next season to accelerate his NBA education. What other choices do we really have to develop younger talent? That is realistically.

Bruno
07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm quite disappointing by what Mahinmi has done in SL so far. He is putting solid stats but isn't playing that well. I hope he will plays better in the remaining games.

I quite fear that Mahinmi will soon be in the Amir Johnson case : too good for the D-League but too bad to play for a contender in the NBA.

wildbill2u
07-17-2008, 03:57 PM
Sometimes athletes have to be thrown into the game before they are ready. They take a beating and either come through it or never live up to their promise.

Compare Troy Aikman and David Carr of football. Both were sent into the fray and had terrible first seasons. Aikman became an all pro and won championships. Carr just got shell-shocked and was traded.

We need to do something like that with Ian and let him sink or swim.

VaSpursFan
07-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Ian's play has been disappointing but, like with Hill, give the guy a full training camp and a structured Spurs offense to see what he can do then. glorified pick-up summer games isn't the best way to guage what a player can or cannot do.

Brutalis
07-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Losing Splitter, Barry and Finley. Gained Mahinmi and Mason. We are still in the hole. Only FA we will be getting is Thomas back, maybe. And then it comes down to Gist and Hill making the team.

We got a lot to prove this season and it will be a big question mark to start with.

tav1
07-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm quite disappointing by what Mahinmi has done in SL so far. He is putting solid stats but isn't playing that well. I hope he will plays better in the remaining games.

I quite fear that Mahinmi will soon be in the Amir Johnson case : too good for the D-League but too bad to play for a contender in the NBA.

My feeling too.

Ian doesn't play tough. He needs to establish better position down low and learn to play above the rim--he needs a 12 ft. game, if you know what I mean. Defensively, he seems sheepish.

I'm high on him, but I'm not convinced more D time would be a bad thing. In fact, I like him, Hill and Gist all on the Toros for some of next season. My thinking is that the Spurs should give all three players minutes over the first 10 games, if they look like they can help at the NBA level, then keep them up. If not, send them to the D League for further development. They all should be solid rotation players by 2009, if not sooner. But we might have to patient with them this season.

Next season will bring many growing pains, but the Spurs will floor a contender. The 2009 roster should be very good.

Spurtacus
07-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Losing Splitter, Barry and Finley. Gained Mahinmi and Mason. We are still in the hole. Only FA we will be getting is Thomas back, maybe. And then it comes down to Gist and Hill making the team.

We got a lot to prove this season and it will be a big question mark to start with.

Finley is likely coming back.

DisAsTerBot
07-17-2008, 04:30 PM

fin will be back

oligarchy
07-17-2008, 04:47 PM

He could develop well and get burn on another team, with time to progress. It's going to be hard for Mahinmi at this point.

boutons_
07-17-2008, 04:57 PM
in pre-season/Nov/Dec/Jan, there will be plenty of "meaningless" games that will allow IM some minutes. It's up to him to grab them.

Chen
07-17-2008, 05:00 PM
everything i can find from this guy is somewhat potential and freaky athleticism.

but no D.

angelbelow
07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
i think hes only got room to improve on one aspect. i think people who expect him to be great or at least decent and well rounded are going to be disappointed. hes needs to either work on defense, or offense, i dont see him as a scorer/gun ho defender.

i would rather him turn into a scorer rebounder than a defender rebounder. with his skills he could choose either and refine it for a couple of seasons but i really think hes either going to be a offensive force with no D (amare) or poor scorer with D (ben wallace). and i know im using allstars for comparison but i thought using well known players will be easier to understand what im trying to say.

Spuradicator
07-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Ian will be a "rookie" this year. I am just hoping he can provide some solid minutes off the bench. But it would be awesome if he can really turn it on in coming years.

Bruno
07-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I don't know why but I don't have the feeling that Mahinmi is playing at 100% on the defensive end. He is committing few PFs when you consider that he is usually quite foul prone and that SL's refs whistles a lot of PFs.
Maybe he doesn't really care about SL or Spurs have told him that his first priority was not to commit fouls.

mystargtr34
07-17-2008, 09:49 PM
At this point... i would like to bring Finley back from what ive seen in the Summer League and losing Brent. I just dont see who else we can resign to replace him.

If we bring him back in a reduced role off the bench, given that Mason can become an adequte starter, im fine with that.

Mahinmi, i didnt think he would be ready to earn consistant rotation minutes this season, but i still thought he would do a bit better in SL, so whatever.

It would be nice if he could make an impact.

Gino2882
07-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Mahinmi definitely isn't ready as a starter or first big off the bench. His size and athleticism will allow him to play and possibly play well in small doses this coming season.

Lower the hype on Mahinmi.

milkyway21
07-18-2008, 01:45 AM
I did not :clap on Mahinmi when I watched their game against the Knicks BUT I was NOT disappointed either.

I really like to have have sitting on the bench and earn minutes to know the Spurs system this yr.

I was waiting for Pop's comments of Mahinmi's progress because I saw him on the bench watching his new recruits and Ian, and I like that he made few good feedbacks..

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mahinmi_wants_to_show_why_he_can_join_Spurs.html

MAHINMI WANTS TO SHOW WHY HE CAN JOIN THE SPURS
Mike Monroe

LAS VEGAS — When the Spurs’ Ian Mahinmi heard reports that Tiago Splitter, the 7-footer the Spurs took in the first round in 2007, was going to stay in Spain, his emotions were mixed.

“That was bad for the Spurs,” Mahinmi said, a trace of a smile creeping up on the corners of his mouth, “but a big opportunity for me.”

What Mahinmi, a 21-year-old, 6-foot-11 center-forward, does this summer is vital for a team that hopes to build a future foundation while retaining its status as one of the NBA’s elite.

Indeed, nothing is quite as important for the Spurs in the summer league as getting a feel for what they can expect next season from Mahinmi, their first-round pick in the 2005 draft.

Mahinmi remains a work in progress. He has the size and athleticism to become a solid contributor in the NBA, but still has much to learn. Though he played four seasons with pro teams in France before signing a rookie-scale contract with the Spurs last summer, his NBA résumé consists of six games, during which he scored 21 points and grabbed five rebounds.

A season with the Austin Toros of the NBA’s Development League was encouraging. Mahinmi averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds and helped the Toros reach the D-League’s championship series.

This summer, with regular-rotation big men Kurt Thomas and Robert Horry both unrestricted free agents, the Spurs hope to learn enough about Mahinmi to know whether he merits a spot on the 12-man roster or needs more development in Austin.

Thus far, coach Gregg Popovich likes what Mahinmi has shown in Las Vegas.

“I continue to be impressed with his progress,” Popovich said after the Spurs defeated the New York Knicks in a Wednesday afternoon game here. “The first day I saw him here, up to now, I’d say he’s made significant progress. His understanding of the game, his physical body, his skill set, and his ability to understand  team defense have improved.”

Mahinmi and 2008 first-round pick George Hill were the only Spurs summer leaguers who averaged more than 30 minutes in the first three games. Popovich and summer league head coach Mike Budenholzer held both players out of Thursday’s game against the Suns.

In his three games in Las Vegas, Mahinmi averaged 14.0 points, but the Spurs didn’t travel to the desert hoping to see offense.

“His role for us, whether he plays a lot now, or in the future, is going to be running the floor, rebounding the basketball at both ends, and blocking shots,” Popovich said.
Mahinmi improved with the Toros, and Austin’s proximity to San Antonio allowed him occasional visits to the Spurs’ practice facility to work out with his NBA teammates.

Now Mahinmi has high expectations for the 2008-09 season, understanding he has not yet guaranteed his spot on the 12-man roster.

“Yes, I have high expectations,” he said. “I want to try to be a big rotation guy for that team. That’s what I want: to come out and bring high energy, my young blood. I want to bring defense, running, blocked shots and defensive presence.”

Quin Snyder, the Toros’ head coach, said he watched Mahinmi improve in each of those areas during 45 regular season games, and four playoff games, he played for Austin.

“I think the biggest thing was that he got to play a lot of minutes,” Snyder said. “It’s that, more than anything, that allowed him to learn attitudes about the game. He got to experience both success and failure, and how to handle them.”

Mahinmi admits he will be disappointed(:cry) if the Spurs coaches don’t deem him ready for prime time. Yet he understands he must earn his chance.

“I’m so much more prepared,” he said. “Two years ago I thought I was ready, but I was definitely not ready then. Playing all those games in D-League, and being with the (Spurs) at the end of the season, seeing how you’ve really, really got to adjust yourself for those 82 games and that it’s really, really, really tough, that helped me know what I must do.”

mystargtr34
07-18-2008, 02:04 AM
I did not :clap on Mahinmi when I watched their game against the Knicks BUT I was NOT disappointed either.

I really like to have have sitting on the bench and earn minutes to know the Spurs system this yr.

I was waiting for Pop's comments of Mahinmi's progress because I saw him on the bench watching his new recruits and Ian, and I like that he made few good feedbacks..

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mahinmi_wants_to_show_why_he_can_join_Spurs.html

MAHINMI WANTS TO KNOW WHY HE CAN JOIN THE SPURS
Mike Monroe

LAS VEGAS — When the Spurs’ Ian Mahinmi heard reports that Tiago Splitter, the 7-footer the Spurs took in the first round in 2007, was going to stay in Spain, his emotions were mixed.

“That was bad for the Spurs,” Mahinmi said, a trace of a smile creeping up on the corners of his mouth, “but a big opportunity for me.”

What Mahinmi, a 21-year-old, 6-foot-11 center-forward, does this summer is vital for a team that hopes to build a future foundation while retaining its status as one of the NBA’s elite.

Indeed, nothing is quite as important for the Spurs in the summer league as getting a feel for what they can expect next season from Mahinmi, their first-round pick in the 2005 draft.

Mahinmi remains a work in progress. He has the size and athleticism to become a solid contributor in the NBA, but still has much to learn. Though he played four seasons with pro teams in France before signing a rookie-scale contract with the Spurs last summer, his NBA résumé consists of six games, during which he scored 21 points and grabbed five rebounds.

A season with the Austin Toros of the NBA’s Development League was encouraging. Mahinmi averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds and helped the Toros reach the D-League’s championship series.

This summer, with regular-rotation big men Kurt Thomas and Robert Horry both unrestricted free agents, the Spurs hope to learn enough about Mahinmi to know whether he merits a spot on the 12-man roster or needs more development in Austin.

Thus far, coach Gregg Popovich likes what Mahinmi has shown in Las Vegas.

“I continue to be impressed with his progress,” Popovich said after the Spurs defeated the New York Knicks in a Wednesday afternoon game here. “The first day I saw him here, up to now, I’d say he’s made significant progress. His understanding of the game, his physical body, his skill set, and his ability to understand  team defense have improved.”

Mahinmi and 2008 first-round pick George Hill were the only Spurs summer leaguers who averaged more than 30 minutes in the first three games. Popovich and summer league head coach Mike Budenholzer held both players out of Thursday’s game against the Suns.

In his three games in Las Vegas, Mahinmi averaged 14.0 points, but the Spurs didn’t travel to the desert hoping to see offense.

“His role for us, whether he plays a lot now, or in the future, is going to be running the floor, rebounding the basketball at both ends, and blocking shots,” Popovich said.
Mahinmi improved with the Toros, and Austin’s proximity to San Antonio allowed him occasional visits to the Spurs’ practice facility to work out with his NBA teammates.

Now Mahinmi has high expectations for the 2008-09 season, understanding he has not yet guaranteed his spot on the 12-man roster.

“Yes, I have high expectations,” he said. “I want to try to be a big rotation guy for that team. That’s what I want: to come out and bring high energy, my young blood. I want to bring defense, running, blocked shots and defensive presence.”

Quin Snyder, the Toros’ head coach, said he watched Mahinmi improve in each of those areas during 45 regular season games, and four playoff games, he played for Austin.

“I think the biggest thing was that he got to play a lot of minutes,” Snyder said. “It’s that, more than anything, that allowed him to learn attitudes about the game. He got to experience both success and failure, and how to handle them.”

Mahinmi admits he will be disappointed(:cry) if the Spurs coaches don’t deem him ready for prime time. Yet he understands he must earn his chance.

“I’m so much more prepared,” he said. “Two years ago I thought I was ready, but I was definitely not ready then. Playing all those games in D-League, and being with the (Spurs) at the end of the season, seeing how you’ve really, really got to adjust yourself for those 82 games and that it’s really, really, really tough, that helped me know what I must do.”

I admire Ian's confidence, and hope he proves me dead wrong - but i cant see him being a vital role player this season. He seems too raw still, although the potential is there.

Having said that, its time to sink or swim... i dont think we have any other choice but to let him play, the FO decided against bigs in the draft, and could have had some bigs with a LLE deal and decided against it.

A Thomas/Oberto/Bonner combination wont get it done, alongside Duncan.

On a side note, what other bigs are still available for our LLE or the vet minimum....

Alonzo Mourning - Long shot but another guy who can protect the rim... but i dont think hes leaving Miami if he decides to play another year.

Francisco Elson - Live with the good and the bad, someone who can run the floor.

Theo Ratliff - Rim protector, still more athletic than Oberto and Thomas combined, good for 10-15 minutes as the 5th big

Maybe the Spurs look at Randolph Morris from the Knicks as a Mahinmi replacement in the D-League... project player and see how he pans out in the future... obviously right now theres more important things for the FO to consider.