PDA

View Full Version : Not-so-good news

Sunshine
07-17-2008, 06:51 PM
A couple of you know that my son has been dealing with a kidney issue since May. He's been doing well, but not getting better like the doctor had hoped, so last Thursday he had a biopsy. The results we received were not very positive. He has a condition called Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis, Type I. In short, it is a Immune disease that is affecting and attacking his kidney's.

I have looked up many websites and it's just all too complex for me to completely understand or try to explain. His nephrologist has started him on a regamine of Prednisone and CellCept but she warned us that if this does not improve his condition, he will go into renal failure and need dialysis and a kidney transplant. Not today, not tomorrow, not even next year....we're talking about 6-8 years down the road IF the meds don't slow down the progression. But barring a miracle (and I DO believe in miracles) the bottom line is that he will have a kidney transplant one day.

He's been in good spirits, but I'm sure he's just as scared as I am.

I will keep you updated as things progress and appreciate all of your prayers and positive thoughts. As it stands right now, he will visit the nephrologist on a monthly basis and take the Prednisone every other day and the CeptCell daily for a minimum of two years. Even if the condition goes into remission, she wants to keep him on the therapy to keep the disease at bay.

I wish the news was better. This is all in God's hands and I have asked Him to take control and relieve us of all of our worries. I have to admit, that it's not working yet, but He will eventually relieve me of my worries.

Slydragon
07-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Hope things go good for your son and you. How old is he if you don't mind me asking

JoeChalupa
07-17-2008, 07:02 PM
I pray things will improve.

duncan228
07-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Our thoughts and prayers are with your family Sunshine. I hope your son can keep his spirits up. Stay strong.

AlamoSpursFan
07-17-2008, 07:05 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son.

My grandfather had to go through dialysis for the last years of his life and it is not a fun experience.

fatsack
07-17-2008, 07:10 PM
How old is he if you don't mind me asking

he just turned 14.

jcrod
07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Thats hard, anything with our childern is the hardest. What symptoms was he having to know there was a problem? He's in my prayers.

lefty
07-17-2008, 07:22 PM

I'm pretty sure you will find a solution

Brutalis
07-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Just prayed for you and yours. Good luck and keep your head up.

2Blonde
07-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Sunshine & Sack,
I will say extra prayers for your son. My heart goes out to you.

marini martini
07-17-2008, 08:51 PM
You and your son are in my prayers. Just think positive and trust in Him.

ashbeeigh
07-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Oh my, Sara. I will be thinking of you all for as long as you need it.

RashoFan
07-17-2008, 10:21 PM
My prayers are with you and your family.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-17-2008, 10:27 PM
God bless you and your Son stay strong.

boutons_
07-17-2008, 10:41 PM
kidneys are so damn complicated and fragile and hard-working, it's wonder they even manage to work for 70 or so years. There's a lot of ways for them to go wrong.

best of luck to your son.

Pistons < Spurs
07-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Stay strong and hang in there guys! You and your son will be in my thoughts!

Sunshine
07-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Thats hard, anything with our childern is the hardest. What symptoms was he having to know there was a problem? He's in my prayers.

Looking back we now know he was showing symptons maybe as early November. They were vague and nothing you'd immediately associate with kidneys. During basketball season he complained that his joints were stiff and he'd get winded easy. He was sick 3 or 4 times from mid December to late January with fevers, sore throats etc. (which may or may not be related) then around Spring Break, he started waking up with puffy eyes and face but we attributed it to allergies and started giving him Zyrtek before bed thinking it would calm the symptons down. About 2 weeks before school was out, he told me his lower left leg was swollen and he thought it was from falling weird playing basketball at school. He showed me that when he pushed on the skin, it stayed indented for a long time. I knew then that something weird was going on.

I made him an appointment with his pedi for the following Monday and when they did his vitals, his BP was 168/116 and when the doctor saw his legs he called it "pitting edema" and noticed that it was also present on his chest. He immediately sent us to Kids Xpress at Methodist to have blood cultures run and to have a kidney scan and warned us that they might do a biopsy. His fear was that he was going into renal failure. The scan showed that his kidneys looked fine and he wasn't going into failure so they stepped back a notch and cancelled the biopsy and instead focused on causes for the blood and protein in his urine.

The pedi nephrologist thought he had something called post-infectious glomerulonephritis caused from a strep infection and put him on sodium and fluid restriction and said that should take care of it. At the time the doc said there were three things this could be: post-infectious glomerulonephritis, lupus or membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis but also said that his "complements" were way to low to be lupus or the MPGN. His BP went down in just a couple of days and he lost 8 pounds, so we were hopeful.

Fast forward 6 weeks and a round of antibiotics and still blood and protein in the urine and swelling in his legs. A biopsy would give us a difinitive answer so we had it done last week and here's where we are now.

Sorry...you asked for a slice and I gave you the whole loaf!

Sunshine
07-17-2008, 11:41 PM

My grandfather had to go through dialysis for the last years of his life and it is not a fun experience.

One of the things she (the doctor) told my son was that when it come time for dialysis (hopefully many years down the road) he'll be able to do it at home, overnight while he sleeps. She says that now days that's done more and more and she would only see him in the dialysis clinic maybe once a month. That was a relief since I had these vision of machines and blood in the clinic.

duncan228
07-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Scary stuff Sunshine. I can't imagine your fear. I'm glad they got him diagnosed, you know what you're dealing with.

Please keep us updated as you can. Our hearts are with you.

Sunshine
07-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Scary stuff Sunshine. I can't imagine your fear. I'm glad they got him diagnosed, you know what you're dealing with.

Please keep us updated as you can. Our hearts are with you.

I'm still in shock. Not sure the full impact has hit me yet. But he's really upbeat right now and thinking of the positives: they got it early, there's very little scarring and the meds MIGHT be able to put it into remission.

Thanks to everyone for all their expressions and concerns. It's appreciate more than you know.

remingtonbo2001
07-17-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm confident your child will become a healthy active adult.

Your family is in my prayers.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm still in shock. Not sure the full impact has hit me yet. But he's really upbeat right now and thinking of the positives: they got it early, there's very little scarring and the meds MIGHT be able to put it into remission.

Thanks to everyone for all their expressions and concerns. It's appreciate more than you know.

Sara, you know how much I care about you and your family. We are all praying for him and I hope he takes to treatment well and won't need a transplant. But even if he does, things are going to be alright. You are strong and I'm sure he is too. Let us know if you need anything. You have a lot of people who care for you, so lean on them if you need to do so.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I just sent you a PM that might be helpful.

td4mvp21
07-18-2008, 12:08 AM
I am so sorry to hear this. I will say a prayer for your son right now. I hope everything goes as well as possible.

Chief
07-18-2008, 02:32 AM
sorry to hear that , hope all goes well

one question ? if he has to take meds, then maybe dialisys and all that he has to endure, is it possible for him to just receive a kidney now ? from one of his family members such as yourself or itīs too early ?

Twisted_Dawg
07-18-2008, 05:17 AM
My prayers and thoughts are wtih you and your son and family. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Taco
07-18-2008, 07:32 AM
We Send Our Thoughts And Prayers For You Son And Your Family

God Bless

florige
07-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I'm sure everything will work out for you guys son....:toast

Shelly
07-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Dang...positive thoughts for you son and your family.

Sunshine
07-18-2008, 09:09 AM
sorry to hear that , hope all goes well

one question ? if he has to take meds, then maybe dialisys and all that he has to endure, is it possible for him to just receive a kidney now ? from one of his family members such as yourself or itīs too early ?

Good question...one which his dad and I immediately asked (since I would removed my own kidney with a shrimp fork and give it to him if it meant this would go away).

Dialysis could be 8-10 maybe even 20 years away with some of the drugs that are out there right now, so you wait until renal failure starts to proceed with dialysis and transplant. As for me or his dad or sister being a donor, she is discouraging that because this could be genetic. But I still want to find more out about this genetic link before I am satisfied with that answer.

tlongII
07-18-2008, 09:14 AM
Best wishes to you and your family!

degenerate_gambler
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
I've known numerous people whose kids have developed a disease or sickness that has turned quite serious. I've always been amazed at the child's resiliency...more often than not, they seem to handle the situation at hand better than the parents.

In this case, your son couldn't have a better mom looking after him.

Praying for him and you.

Sunshine
07-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I've known numerous people whose kids have developed a disease or sickness that has turned quite serious. I've always been amazed at the child's resiliency...more often than not, they seem to handle the situation at hand better than the parents.

In this case, your son couldn't have a better mom looking after him.

Praying for him and you.

Thank you.

His outlook ATM is marvelous. He told me that his biggest fear was that she was going to tell him he had cancer and since this isn't cancer, he says he can deal with it.

MoSpur
07-18-2008, 09:42 AM
First and foremost, God is in control even if it doesn't seem like it. I will be praying for your son. I have faith that everything will turn out fine. Just keep on fighting the good fight of faith. The bible tells us that God has plans to bless us and not to harm us in Jeremiah 29:11. Hold onto that word Sunshine.

Sunshine
07-18-2008, 09:54 AM
First and foremost, God is in control even if it doesn't seem like it. I will be praying for your son. I have faith that everything will turn out fine. Just keep on fighting the good fight of faith. The bible tells us that God has plans to bless us and not to harm us in Jeremiah 29:11. Hold onto that word Sunshine.

Very encouraging passage....thanks!

MoSpur
07-18-2008, 09:58 AM
No problem. Also, Isaiah 54:17 says, "No weapon formed against you will prosper." The bible never says that trials and tests won't come our way. It does say though, it won't prosper.

Remember Jesus said in John 16:33 "In this world you will have tribulations, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."

Keep repeating these scriptures and hold onto it for your son. Pray for him at night as he sleeps and quote these words as you pray for him. God's word will not return void Sunshine. I'm here if you need to talk.

Southwest Texas Fan
07-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I will keep your son and your family in my prayers. Stay positive.

mrsmaalox
07-18-2008, 11:21 AM
My thoughts are with you. :)

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Thank you.

His outlook ATM is marvelous. He told me that his biggest fear was that she was going to tell him he had cancer and since this isn't cancer, he says he can deal with it.

I gotta admit, that gave me a pause and a smile.

Best wishes to his recovery and for his family to stay by his side.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Very sorry to hear this.....we'll be praying for a complete healing for your son.

johnsmith
07-18-2008, 11:54 AM
johnsmith will say a prayer.

lil'mo, you're a dick. Even I know when and where it's appropriate.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-18-2008, 12:10 PM
wow, crazy to see people who think like this in action. what a weird way of coping with things.

Prayer works wonders. I've seen it first hand many, many times.

ATRAIN
07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Glad to hear your son is in high spirits and I wish you and your family the best. If there is anything I can do let me know.

peewee's lovechild
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Sunshine, my heart goes out to you and your son.

I'll send all my positive vibes your way.

I'm sure he will get better.

lil'mo
07-18-2008, 02:31 PM
can't put it past the guy who crapped all over the thread asking for prayers for that kid that almost drowned...

You need to fuck off, kid.

This isn't the place for your bullshit.

just trying to bring a little reality into your lives

Kori Ellis
07-18-2008, 03:00 PM

Back at you.

johnsmith
07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Back at you.

Said in the voice of Chris Farley in Tommy Boy, "That was awesome".

easjer
07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
We'll be thinking of you and your family, and especially praying for your son.

Ronaldo McDonald
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Back at you.

Niiiiice.

what a prick that guy was.

Sunshine
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM

Oh believe me, we got a big dose of reality yesterday, but thanks anyway.