PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Looking Around with Posey Gone, Possibly Interested in Michael Finley

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Celtics Looking Around With Posey Gone
Jul 17, 2008 4:53 PM EST

The Celtics are looking at a number of options via free agency with James Posey having left the team for the Hornets, according to The Boston Globe.

Posey signed a four-year, $25 million deal with New Orleans on Wednesday.

Available options for Boston include Michael Finley, Devean George, Matt Barnes, Bostjan Nachbar, Maurice Evans, C.J. Miles and Bonzi Wells.

"We go to the next options," said Danny Ainge. "We're not going to sign one player that is going to replace James Posey. We're going to do it in a different way and different fashion. We are going to reallocate our dollars in different ways."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53638/20080717/celtics_looking_around_with_posey_gone/

WildcardManu
07-17-2008, 09:23 PM
they better not sign finley

Slinkyman
please take Finley!!!

Buddy Holly
Michael Finley, please take him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-17-2008, 09:24 PM
they better not sign finley

:wow

Spurtacus
07-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I hope they take Finley. Pop says he wants Finley back though.

DespЏrado
07-17-2008, 09:26 PM
I think Barnes and Devean George are their best bets, but I would love to see Finley get a nice offer to take him off our hands.

VaSpursFan
07-17-2008, 09:26 PM
celts can have finley and the spurs need to sign matt barnes!

Beno Udrih
07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Why the fuck is Barnes not a spur yet???

benefactor
07-17-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank you for all you have done Fin...now please go to Boston.

SPURSGOAT
07-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Please Boston take Finley off our hands...

Gino2882
07-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Interesting. Finley would do nothing to help offset the loss of Posey.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2008, 09:36 PM
We should send the rest of what we have left of the MLE to Boston just so they'll take Finley off our hands.

ShoogarBear
07-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Thank you for all you have done Fin...now please go to Boston.

For the springtime.

whottt
07-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I don't want Finley going to Boston...

Yes I think he's a choker, but chokers tend to light up their old teams...should we meet the Celts in the finals next season them having Fin could be a hindrance to the Spurs. He's not that good now and is largely washed up, but the Celts are already tough enough.

IF Finley goes there it will probably make them easier to beat for any team that plays them...unless that team is the Spurs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-17-2008, 09:49 PM

Yes I think he's a choker, but chokers tend to light up their old teams...should we meet the Celts in the finals next season them having Fin could be a hindrance to the Spurs. He's not that good now and is largely washed up, but the Celts are already tough enough.

IF Finley goes there it will probably make them easier to beat for any team that plays them...unless that team is the Spurs.

Just imagine Finley guarding Ginobili. :blah

benefactor
07-17-2008, 10:27 PM
For the springtime.
I think I feel a song coming on......:D

fotan2
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Finley still has tools to help teams to be better . i dont want to see Finley with the Celtics , even he doesnt stay in SA

Lake_show
07-17-2008, 10:55 PM

Wake up kid.

Ronaldo McDonald
07-17-2008, 10:58 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to call him a choker. The guy's hit big shots for us and against us (when he was w/ the mavs).

Oink Oink
07-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Please take him boston.:toast

Gino2882
07-17-2008, 11:39 PM
He isn't near as bad as he is made out to be. But, I do hope the Spurs move on.

The Truth #6
07-18-2008, 12:23 AM
He isn't near as bad as he is made out to be. But, I do hope the Spurs move on.

Categorizing him as a past his prime jump shooter who goes on long cold streaks, plays poor defense and can't pass or rebound is not accurate?

I agree that the emotion gets pretty high but I think people have, for the most part, corrrectly assessed his current skill set.

Spurs vets are like boxers - they don't know when to quit, which makes Robinson's retirement all the more special.

Dex
07-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Finley is a serviceable 2-Gaurd, but not a good one anymore. As many have already said, he's regressed to a spot-up shooter who doesn't bring much more than hustle to the table, but even his age has started to negate his hustle.

He can fill the spot if need be, but we saw what happens if our only great Shooting Gaurd gets injured (Manu), and all we have left is serviceable players at the wing. Suddenly, that becomes a big gap at a vital position.

I can live with Finley for another year, but I'd almost rather see what someone else can bring to the table at this point.

Borosai
07-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Finley is a great shooter who somehow manages not to score consistently enough, especially for a starting SG. He isn't garbage, but if the Spurs can replace him with someone who can score every once-in-a-while too, but who can also play defense (and perhaps rebound or attack the basket--anything other than just score... sometimes), it will be an upgrade.

SenorSpur
07-18-2008, 12:49 AM
Please. Don't tease, oooh just please. Take him.

Quite a dropoff going from Posey to Finley. The C's must be very desparate.

rj215
07-18-2008, 01:47 AM
Interesting. Finley would do nothing to help offset the loss of Posey.

yeah Danny Ainge might be going back to his stupid ass ways....he basically let a solid bench guy who brings a defesive presence go for the chance to sign the ghost of michael finley....he should've given posey that 4th year....oh well, if he takes fin-dog off our hands that would be fan-freakin-tastic :toast

bigdog
07-18-2008, 02:14 AM
He's nowhere near what he used to be and is just about done, but he is still clutch as hell.

He would kill the Spurs in crunchtime when given an open shot.

JPB
07-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Finley ?

you mean the chocker who send the spurs in overtime in a decisive game 1 vs the suns ?

wisnub
07-18-2008, 03:31 AM
I hope they take Finley. Pop says he wants Finley back though.

I dont fuckin get it..Pop let Barry go and want Finley back. i thought Barry is the one who chip 23points in Western Conf Finals last time. He definitely got things left in tank. Im not sure about Fin...sometimes I dont get it how FO thinks..and PLEASE DONT TELL ME ITS BECAUSE OF MONEY...FIN ASK LESS THAN BARRY. I know Spurs is stingy but I hope Im wrong...

mrspurs
07-18-2008, 07:03 AM
yeah very desperate......one of those your done if you do...your done if you dont deals

Big P
07-18-2008, 09:34 AM
From hoopsworld...Boston is talking to the FA's we SHOULD be talking to

No Posey, No Problem :
The Boston Celtics had their chance to match the New Orleans Hornets' offer to James Posey, HOOPSWORLD's Bill Ingram was on the phone with Posey's agent Mark Bartelstein when the deal went down, bouncing from one team to the other trying to maximize the situation. James wanted to return to Boston, but the Celtics would not go the distance, and James opted for the upside of New Orleans and the long term security of their offer. Boston is now left with filling a huge void of leadership and defense on the roster. Celtic's president Danny Ainge told reporters that he did not see the team trying to fill the gap with one player, hinting that they would "spread" the money around a little bit. The Celtics inked Patrick O'Bryant to a deal last week and are in talks with Matt Barnes, Bostjan Nachbar, Maurice Evans, and Bonzi Wells.

1Parker1
07-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Spurs can't let Finley go now :madrun With Barry gone, he's the only serviceable, experienced backup swingman left. If for some reason George Mason doesn't work out or isn't that good, and Ginobili is injured, Spurs need a veteran guard off the bench.

I would have loved if this happened BEFORE the Spurs let go of Barry :depressed

Budkin
07-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Take him please!

K-State Spur
07-18-2008, 12:49 PM
If for some reason George Mason doesn't work out or isn't that good

the founding father?

4everSpurFan
07-18-2008, 12:58 PM
celts can have finley and the spurs need to sign matt barnes!

that would be awesome to have matt barnes..

Please get rid of FINLEY!!! I can't stand a non-defensive player

DPG21920
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Despite what some people think, losing Finley would throw a major wrench into the Spurs off season plans.

hater
07-18-2008, 02:05 PM
damn poor Mike. he got abused in this thread

fyatuk
07-18-2008, 03:24 PM
I dont fuckin get it..Pop let Barry go and want Finley back. i thought Barry is the one who chip 23points in Western Conf Finals last time. He definitely got things left in tank. Im not sure about Fin...sometimes I dont get it how FO thinks..and PLEASE DONT TELL ME ITS BECAUSE OF MONEY...FIN ASK LESS THAN BARRY. I know Spurs is stingy but I hope Im wrong...

More likely cap rules. Spurs can Bird Finley, but they couldn't Barry.

Dex
07-18-2008, 03:27 PM
damn poor Mike. he got abused in this thread

Eh, most people are just stating the facts: the dude is getting along in his years.

I will give Mike all the credit in the world: he's been completely professional since coming to the Spurs, has played magical chairs with Manu and sometimes Barry since he's been here, has upped his level of effort on the defensive end, and has hit some big shots for us over his time. If there was anything Finley did wrong for the Spurs, it was trying TOO hard and getting into his own head, but we knew he was a streaky shooter when he came in. With the ups come the downs; that's the law of averages.

In that regard, I'd like to see Michael Finley come back. He was a superstar in his prime, and I was as excited as anybody when he signed with San Antonio. But he is also getting to the point where even the general fan can see him noticeably losing a step, and starting shooting guard is an awful lot of pressure to put on 36-year-old legs.

He could definitely still be a solid role player, but like I said...when you're asking him to be your first or second guard, you're given an advantage to a lot of teams.

I don't think anyone doubts that Finley was a great player. But it's impossible to ask him to be the player he was 5-10 years ago.

David Robinson was obviously a great, great player too...but when he started to reach his twilight, it showed in his level of play, just as it does with every great player over time.

Taking it to the Hole
07-18-2008, 07:43 PM
The Spurs are not going to let him go unless they know they can sign someone to his roster spot immediately. Right now, that doesn't seem likely. Celtics really don't want Finley, when they can get a guy like Barnes or Evans. Basically, younger players is what they are looking for, otherwise they will become the Spurs of the East, age wise.

ShoogarBear
07-18-2008, 09:57 PM
If for some reason George Mason doesn't work out or isn't that good, and Ginobili is injured, Spurs need a veteran guard off the bench.

I heard Patrick Henry is quite a firebrand off the bench.