PDA

View Full Version : Mahinmi wants to show why he can join Spurs

Solid D
07-18-2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mahinmi_wants_to_show_why_he_can_join_Spurs.html

http://media.mysanantonio.com/images/spurs-mahinmi-20080718.jpg

Mike Monroe - Express-News

LAS VEGAS — When the Spurs’ Ian Mahinmi heard reports that Tiago Splitter, the 7-footer the Spurs took in the first round in 2007, was going to stay in Spain, his emotions were mixed.

“That was bad for the Spurs,” Mahinmi said, a trace of a smile creeping up on the corners of his mouth, “but a big opportunity for me.”

What Mahinmi, a 21-year-old, 6-foot-11 center-forward, does this summer is vital for a team that hopes to build a future foundation while retaining its status as one of the NBA’s elite.

Indeed, nothing is quite as important for the Spurs in the summer league as getting a feel for what they can expect next season from Mahinmi, their first-round pick in the 2005 draft.

Mahinmi remains a work in progress. He has the size and athleticism to become a solid contributor in the NBA, but still has much to learn. Though he played four seasons with pro teams in France before signing a rookie-scale contract with the Spurs last summer, his NBA résumé consists of six games, during which he scored 21 points and grabbed five rebounds.

A season with the Austin Toros of the NBA’s Development League was encouraging. Mahinmi averaged 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds and helped the Toros reach the D-League’s championship series.

This summer, with regular-rotation big men Kurt Thomas and Robert Horry both unrestricted free agents, the Spurs hope to learn enough about Mahinmi to know whether he merits a spot on the 12-man roster or needs more development in Austin.

Thus far, coach Gregg Popovich likes what Mahinmi has shown in Las Vegas.

“I continue to be impressed with his progress,” Popovich said after the Spurs defeated the New York Knicks in a Wednesday afternoon game here. “The first day I saw him here, up to now, I’d say he’s made significant progress. His understanding of the game, his physical body, his skill set, and his ability to understand  team defense have improved.”

Mahinmi and 2008 first-round pick George Hill were the only Spurs summer leaguers who averaged more than 30 minutes in the first three games. Popovich and summer league head coach Mike Budenholzer held both players out of Thursday’s game against the Suns.

In his three games in Las Vegas, Mahinmi averaged 14.0 points, but the Spurs didn’t travel to the desert hoping to see offense.

“His role for us, whether he plays a lot now, or in the future, is going to be running the floor, rebounding the basketball at both ends, and blocking shots,” Popovich said.

Mahinmi improved with the Toros, and Austin’s proximity to San Antonio allowed him occasional visits to the Spurs’ practice facility to work out with his NBA teammates.

Now Mahinmi has high expectations for the 2008-09 season, understanding he has not yet guaranteed his spot on the 12-man roster.

“Yes, I have high expectations,” he said. “I want to try to be a big rotation guy for that team. That’s what I want: to come out and bring high energy, my young blood. I want to bring defense, running, blocked shots and defensive presence.”

Quin Snyder, the Toros’ head coach, said he watched Mahinmi improve in each of those areas during 45 regular season games, and four playoff games, he played for Austin.

“I think the biggest thing was that he got to play a lot of minutes,” Snyder said. “It’s that, more than anything, that allowed him to learn attitudes about the game. He got to experience both success and failure, and how to handle them.”

Mahinmi admits he will be disappointed if the Spurs coaches don’t deem him ready for prime time. Yet he understands he must earn his chance.

“I’m so much more prepared,” he said. “Two years ago I thought I was ready, but I was definitely not ready then. Playing all those games in D-League, and being with the (Spurs) at the end of the season, seeing how you’ve really, really got to adjust yourself for those 82 games and that it’s really, really, really tough, that helped me know what I must do.”

usckk
07-18-2008, 12:12 AM
“His role for us, whether he plays a lot now, or in the future, is going to be running the floor, rebounding the basketball at both ends, and blocking shots,” Popovich said.

“Yes, I have high expectations,” he said. “I want to try to be a big rotation guy for that team. That’s what I want: to come out and bring high energy, my young blood. I want to bring defense, running, blocked shots and defensive presence.”

Looks like they are on the same page. However, I wonder why Pop didn't mention anything about his offense. Does that mean he doesn't think he will be able to score in the NBA level?

Big P
07-18-2008, 12:16 AM

Looks like they are on the same page. However, I wonder why Pop didn't mention anything about his offense. Does that mean he doesn't think he will be able to score in the NBA level?

IMO, he was/is so raw, the coaches taught him the overall feel for the game mainly from a defensive standpoint, his offense wiil happen by itself in due time...like he said, running, block shots, defensive presence, etc. that is what the team needs him for...if he progresses quickly offensively, then its a bonus.

HarlemHeat37
07-18-2008, 12:18 AM
when you're playing with Duncan, Manu and Parker, you don't need to score on your own..all he has to do offensively is dunk and finish IMO..

Solid D
I think it means that Ian will need to be a good defender in the paint and play well in transition, especially defensively. I think Nazr Mohammad had that role, as did Elson, as did Kevin Willis and as did David Robinson in his last couple of seasons with the Spurs.

timvp
Sounds like he has a good attitude. He has shown glimpses in summer league of being a very skilled player. The question is whether or not he's ready right now. I'm not sold that he's ready but I think the Spurs should give him a long look in training camp, preseason and the early regular season before determining that for sure.

Pop and Mahinmi both talked about him being a shotblocker but ever since he went to Austin last year, it's like they took away his shotblocking instincts. He used to try to block everything, now he rarely tries to block anything. I realize that was due to foul trouble in the D-League but I'm not sure that was the way to go about it.

He's a very intriguing prospect with a very high ceiling. His ability to score for a bigman is rare to find. He's not that great of a rebounder yet but that could come in time.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen out of him in summer league. He hasn't dominated but he's shown enough moments of competence. My biggest criticism is that he looks bored at times playing in summer league ... which is both good news and bad news at the same time. Everyone around him is fighting to put food on the table and Mahinmi sometimes goes through the motions. Once he goes up against a higher competition level, that could change.

Mahinmi played really well last year in preseason and his early play in garbage time during the regular season. This year he should look even better and has a chance to stick with the big boys.

jason1301
07-18-2008, 12:20 AM

you answered your own question, i was tinking the same thing though. Ian doesn't seem to be an offensive genious, when spurs drafted him they were looking for someone to rebound, block and run.

If along the way Ian proves he can be a scorer that's a plus.

DespЏrado
07-18-2008, 12:39 AM
I am absolutely routing for Ian to take all of his athletic ability, his eagerness to learn, and raw talent to a whole other level. Because in a best case scenario he could be an absolute stud in this league, as good as Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire, or David West. I truly believe that is his ceiling.

Sadly, I just don't see the determination coming from him to propel him that high. But I guess it could still go either way for him, he could be as bad as Elson or just a poor man's Rasho (who couldn't score the points he was capable of next to Duncan) or he could find a way of pushing himself above and beyond their meager contributions.

Who knows maybe Pop can motivate him the way motivated Tony.

But as it stands I think the very best that we could hope for from Ian is a defensive presence like Rasho to put next to Duncan with the offensive skills of a younger Camby.

rj215
07-18-2008, 01:33 AM
I am absolutely routing for Ian to take all of his athletic ability, his eagerness to learn, and raw talent to a whole other level. Because in a best case scenario he could be an absolute stud in this league, as good as Dwight Howard, Amare Stoudemire, or David West. I truly believe that is his ceiling.

Sadly, I just don't see the determination coming from him to propel him that high. But I guess it could still go either way for him, he could be as bad as Elson or just a poor man's Rasho (who couldn't score the points he was capable of next to Duncan) or he could find a way of pushing himself above and beyond their meager contributions.

But as it stands I think the very best that we could hope for from Ian is a defensive presence like Rasho to put next to Duncan with the offensive skills of a younger Camby.

???????????????????????

Cant_Be_Faded
07-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Ian needs to bring the THUNDER for the rest of this summer league. I want to see him ruthlessly score in people's dumbfounded grills. I want to see him block the crap outta some weak ass Kevin Lovesque hookshot.
He's been way too tentative and soft thus far, IMO.

T Park
07-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Yes because summer league is oh so important.

mystargtr34
07-18-2008, 02:12 AM
I posted this in another thread, not sure why.. anyway

I admire Ian's confidence, and hope he proves me dead wrong - but i cant see him being a vital role player this season. He seems too raw still, although the potential is there.

Having said that, its time to sink or swim... i dont think we have any other choice but to let him play, the FO decided against bigs in the draft, and could have had some bigs with a LLE deal and decided against it.

A Thomas/Oberto/Bonner combination wont get it done, alongside Duncan.

On a side note, what other bigs are still available for our LLE or the vet minimum....

Alonzo Mourning - Long shot but another guy who can protect the rim... but i dont think hes leaving Miami if he decides to play another year.

Francisco Elson - Live with the good and the bad, someone who can run the floor.

Theo Ratliff - Rim protector, still more athletic than Oberto and Thomas combined, good for 10-15 minutes as the 5th big

Maybe the Spurs look at Randolph Morris from the Knicks as a Mahinmi replacement in the D-League... project player and see how he pans out in the future... obviously right now theres more important things for the FO to consider.

JPB
07-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Ian is saying what you expect he would.

But sending him back to Austin next year would certainly kill his goodwill.

Sure, last year allowed him to get familiar with US BB and environment. But the level of competition and his role with the toros doesn't match with the ones he'd face in NBA

He has to be in spurs roster next year to begin to learn his role (defense, running, blocking) and face real competition. He would not be asked to take care of the score.

SL games doesn't necesserely mean much in terms of how a player would do.
You can judge his overall attitude and skills but you can't really predict what player he will be.

DespЏrado
07-18-2008, 03:08 AM
???????????????????????

Sorry I didn't make myself clear or do you just not agree?

Camby at his peak scored 14 a game but was never the focus of his teams offense, but he could put up pretty regular point totals.
Rasho was a pretty good paint defender but wasn't completely mobile enough to be a great defender.

Ian I think might be able to contribute that in terms of (Camby like) offense and (Rasho like) defense if he can see enough playing time. But it is really difficult to project whether he will even be that good.

He definitely has the potential to be an impact player. I just haven't seen him do anything that says he will earn playing time away from Oberto and Thomas though.

wisnub
07-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Thats right....finish Duncan's garbage balls..energy guy with strong second chance points is what we need!!! Ian is good with FT too. if only he develop jumper, he will produce alongside DUncan. DOnt forget to dunk with authority too...Its time for Spurs to be an EXCITING TEAM and enough of old shit propaganda from media

angelbelow
07-18-2008, 03:37 AM
i love it.

GSH
07-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Start by giving him some credit for the fact that he really wants to be here.

He's stuck with the Spurs' program, which says a lot about his level of commitment. A lot of guys with his raw talent and athleticism wouldn't be doing interviews about how much they needed to learn.

I wonder if he is ever going to be able to pack on the kind of bulk that most would like to see. I think he is going to turn 22 this year, which means he is old enough to start bulking up, if he is ever going to. Maybe Roger Clemens has something left in his medicine chest.

Pop says that Mahinmi's role will be to run the floor, play D, and snag rebounds. The one thing I wish, more than anything else, is that we had someone playing opposite Tim that could get to the line 4-5 times per game. Not for the points, but because of what it would do for Duncan. If they are forced to respect him enough to foul him, it means they aren't collapsing on Tim all the time. Even in Robinson's last season, he got to the line more than anyone we have had since.

mrspurs
07-18-2008, 06:54 AM
Sounds like he has a good attitude. He has shown glimpses in summer league of being a very skilled player. The question is whether or not he's ready right now. I'm not sold that he's ready but I think the Spurs should give him a long look in training camp, preseason and the early regular season before determining that for sure.

Pop and Mahinmi both talked about him being a shotblocker but ever since he went to Austin last year, it's like they took away his shotblocking instincts. He used to try to block everything, now he rarely tries to block anything. I realize that was due to foul trouble in the D-League but I'm not sure that was the way to go about it.

He's a very intriguing prospect with a very high ceiling. His ability to score for a bigman is rare to find. He's not that great of a rebounder yet but that could come in time.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen out of him in summer league. He hasn't dominated but he's shown enough moments of competence. My biggest criticism is that he looks bored at times playing in summer league ... which is both good news and bad news at the same time. Everyone around him is fighting to put food on the table and Mahinmi sometimes goes through the motions. Once he goes up against a higher competition level, that could change.

Mahinmi played really well last year in preseason and his early play in garbage time during the regular season. This year he should look even better and has a chance to stick with the big boys.

if he doesnt and turns into just another fab......imo the west top tiers will be making fun of duncan and having their way more then they did last season....and i thought last seasons inside game was as bad as it gets when your the defending champ....

picnroll
07-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Somebody explain to me why the Spurs are trying to develop Mahinmi on offense into a low post, back to the basket, post up scorer. This kid is never going to have a lot of weight or a big base. NEVER. This is like trying to make Bosh, Camby, or Chandler back to basket post up players.

JPB
07-18-2008, 09:12 AM
what Ian could bring over Fabio and Thomas is running with Tony.

Plus one or two 100% french alley-oops here or there a la Paul-Chandler.

I don't think people realize how alone TP is on the break in this team. There's no PG in this league more isolated than him on fast breaks. The good thing is that it's forced/allowed him to become a great finisher.

MoSpur
07-18-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm anxious to see him play in pre-season.

Bartleby
07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
The one thing I wish, more than anything else, is that we had someone playing opposite Tim that could get to the line 4-5 times per game.

FWIW, that's about the number of times he has been getting to the line this summer. Although it's difficult to say how much his ability to draw fouls during SL play will carry over to actual NBA games, it seems he is on the right track (and his 83% FT percentage is a nice plus).

nkdlunch
07-18-2008, 01:11 PM
I think Ian is a sure to get minutes this season. So he is saving his best stuff for regular season.

nfg3
07-18-2008, 02:09 PM
He shows a very good attitude and hopes he becomes the type of player the Spurs need. Be a "DRob Jr." so to say and right now that might be a bit if a stretch. Leave the bulk of the scoring to our Big 3, play D, rebound, run the floor and get some garbage points and an occasional designed offensive play here and there. If this comes true then we have gotten better in the 5 spot.

Now .... another swingman please

Ocotillo
07-18-2008, 03:17 PM
He needs to succeed so he can be nicknamed the "Eiffel Tower".

Spurtacus
07-20-2008, 11:21 AM
He'll be a Spur next season. Hopefully he will work on bulking up this summer. Maybe what he needs is a system to play in.

T Park
07-20-2008, 11:24 AM
if he doesnt and turns into just another fab.

A clutch rebounder, defender and garbage point scorer in the playoffs?

Sounds good to me.

T Park
07-20-2008, 11:24 AM
He'll be a Spur next season. Hopefully he will work on bulking up this summer. Maybe what he needs is a system to play in.

You mean like the Spurs system he played in all of last year in Austin?

underdawg
07-20-2008, 11:34 AM

Definitely some shoulder strength - he has too many balls slapped away from him as he brings his arms up. The quicker he get's his arms above his head the better.

Spurtacus
07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
You mean like the Spurs system he played in all of last year in Austin?

No the Spurs system that he hasn't played in San Antonio. Along side Duncan. :)

T Park
07-20-2008, 11:38 AM
No the Spurs system that he hasn't played in San Antonio. Along side Duncan. :)

He played in the Spurs system in Austin.

There's no difference between the two.

underdawg
07-20-2008, 12:00 PM

How about - once he plays on the Varsity instead of the JV. He won't garner as much attention from the defense and that should allow him to get better looks and have some limited success.

Spurtacus
07-20-2008, 12:12 PM

Damn you are stubborn. Must we spell out everything for you?

What underdawg said is spot on.

With Duncan, Parker, Ginobili...I doubt opposing team's will zero in on Mahinmi all the time.

Rescueone
07-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Damn you are stubborn. Must we spell out everything for you?

What underdawg said is spot on.

With Duncan, Parker, Ginobili...I doubt opposing team's will zero in on Mahinmi all the time.

Totally agree with what you said. In Austin, he was the main focal point and was doubled all the time. Here he won't be the main focus and should hopefully get his points a little easier.

manufor3
07-20-2008, 01:18 PM

?????????????????

tp2021
07-20-2008, 02:01 PM
The situation is different, but THE SYSTEM IS THE SAME.
That's the point of buying a D-League team.

Rescueone
07-20-2008, 03:08 PM
No one's arguing about the system. There's no Tim Duncan, Manu or Tony in the D-League. Like Underdawg stated it's JV vs Varsity. The two systems may mirror each other, but the talent level (team mates) are a major upgrade in that system.

ceperez
07-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Mahinmi - Plus: Shoots a high percentage at the free throw line. A high percentage set shot. A very quick first step. Good back to basket turnaround shot. Best offense when playing facing the basket, will either use a quick step or a lot of fakes to get to the rim or take a shot outside.

Minus: Very weak finisher. Doesn't have much lift. Very weak shot blocking skills. Weak rebounder for his size. Questionable one on one defense. Poor defensive positioning and weak side help. Weak at pounding the ball to the basket. Awkward with his feet, seems to trip over himself or over other players.

Summary: A basic finesse center/power forward that the Spurs prefer playing rugged basketball. Essentially, a Francisco Elson, verdict still out if he's an upgrade.

Need: Spurs probably need him to cut down on the alley hoop plays that the Hornets and Lakers easily do against our earth bound centers.

tmtcsc
07-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Sadly, I think this guy is way behind schedule of what the FO thought they had. You'll NEVER hear them say a bad word about him though. If they ever feel they can get something for him in a trade they have to refrain from saying anything negative.

He has the worst, flat, ugliest hook shot thing I've ever seen. I mean, its bad. It feels like I'm watching a guy who plays basketball because he's tall and everyone told him to play. He doesn't get after it on the floor. Whatever that means. He just seems to play ho-hum and not even want to be a focus on offense.

As we have very few options, I'll be cheering and hoping that he turns things around and gets a mean streak in him. As someone else mentioned, he plays soft on both ends of the court and occasionally shows flashes of what the Spurs want to see from him.

I agree that he will most likely play better with Tim on the floor.

wildchild
07-20-2008, 07:51 PM
what Ian could bring over Fabio and Thomas is running with Tony.

Plus one or two 100% french alley-oops here or there a la Paul-Chandler.

I don't think people realize how alone TP is on the break in this team. There's no PG in this league more isolated than him on fast breaks. The good thing is that it's forced/allowed him to become a great finisher.

I can't wait to see it. Allez le bleu!

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Sadly, I think this guy is way behind schedule of what the FO thought they had.

Painfully, I agree with you. For a guy ostensibly a steal a couple years ago he doesn't look like much of a contributor yet. Maybe another year or two...

J_Paco
07-20-2008, 11:05 PM
I believe Ian has the chance to become a similar player to Samuel Dalembert or a better version of his countrymen Johan Petro. If he can play moderately well (something like 6 ppg, 5-6 rpg and 1 bpg) and limits the big mistakes, there will be many mistakes though, then he deserves to play this season. It may take him this season or maybe next season as well to adjust, but the team needs to see what he has.

Presuming that Splitter ever comes over, he may never, then we'll have two solid young bigs, a developing (hopefully) solid back-up point, our usual core players (possibly sans Bowen) and cap-room to go after another championship or two. This is obviously a transitionally year for the franchise, that doesn't mean we should lower our expectations, so we should expect alot of growing pains with the younger players.

Look on the bright-side, the last time (2003) they team was in a period of transition the won a championship.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Totally agree with what you said. In Austin, he was the main focal point and was doubled all the time. Here he won't be the main focus and should hopefully get his points a little easier.

How about - once he plays on the Varsity instead of the JV. He won't garner as much attention from the defense and that should allow him to get better looks and have some limited success.

Just FYI, the talent level in the NBA is better than it is in the NBDL, by a lot. Mahinmi is able to get by on talent and size. That goes away when he steps up. He's going to have to play harder than he's been showing or he's going to get eaten up.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:09 PM
He has such a long way to go.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Painfully, I agree with you. For a guy ostensibly a steal a couple years ago he doesn't look like much of a contributor yet. Maybe another year or two...

At some point you have to go with the Bill Parcells thing about "if the light doesn't go on after three years". There's a roster spot with his name on it; the Spurs are definitely going to dump him in and see if he swims.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:13 PM
At some point you have to go with the Bill Parcells thing about "if the light doesn't go on after three years". There's a roster spot with his name on it; the Spurs are definitely going to dump him in and see if he swims.

That's what myself and most others are saying at this point. You do not give him starters minutes or anything, but he needs to get some time, be around Duncan all the time, and get extra special practice sessions in. He will be much more excited to play with the big boys. He knows he will have to earn time.

It is kind of sad though, because you like to see guys who go after it whether it is a SL game or the big show. I guess not everyone is like that.

tmtcsc
07-20-2008, 11:51 PM
Agreed. I think it will be sink or swim with him this year.

Obstructed_View
07-21-2008, 03:45 AM
It is kind of sad though, because you like to see guys who go after it whether it is a SL game or the big show. I guess not everyone is like that.

Guys with talent and no drive are really annoying, and they're impossible to count on when you need them.