PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Paid Bulk of Tab

duncan228
07-18-2008, 01:25 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_paid_bulk_of_tab.html

Spurs paid bulk of tab
Tracy Idell Hamilton - Express-News

Supporters of the venue tax often said they would spend “whatever it takes” to win voter approval for extending it, and the final campaign finance report shows the effort's biggest backer did exactly that.

The San Antonio Spurs wrote a check for more than $710,000 in late June to pay off the campaign's outstanding bills, pushing the total price tag for victory to almost $2 million — roughly twice what the campaign's backers had anticipated spending.

The team contributed three-quarters of that total.

The Spurs stand to benefit from $75 million worth of upgrades to the county-owned AT&T Center, which Spurs Chairman Peter Holt has insisted are necessary to increase revenues and stay competitive in the NBA.

The arena is owned by Bexar County but is largely controlled by the team, which keeps all the revenue it generates, except for the three weeks when the building is occupied by the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo.

Voters on May 10 approved keeping in place a 1.75 percent tax on hotel rooms and a 5 percent tax on rental cars to pay for projects in four major categories: $125 million for river improvements, $110 million for the arts, $80 million for 13 amateur sports complexes and $100 million for enhancements to the AT&T Center, Freeman Coliseum and the rodeo grounds.

First enacted by voters in 1999 to pay for the then-SBC Center, the tax will pay off the arena ahead of schedule. Rather than let the tax expire, Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff proposed using it for big-ticket civic improvement projects.

With 7 percent of county voters weighing in, the tax passed by wide margins, from 75 percent for the river to 57 percent for the community arenas.

The final campaign finance report filed by ACT (Athletics, Culture and Tourism) for San Antonio, the political action committee created by marketing firm Guerra DeBerry Coody, which was hired to run the campaign, showed it took in $1.04 million from May 1 through the end of June.

Two previous campaign finance reports, filed 30 days and seven days before the election, respectively, reported donations of roughly $922,000, bringing the total spent on the campaign to $1.96 million.

“That's more, I think, than we anticipated on the front end,” said Joe Krier, who served as the campaign's treasurer, and had estimated a million-dollar campaign. “But I'm proud that we raised a half a million dollars from the non-Spurs community.”

No one hit up for cash said no, he said, “but we could only reach so many people in the time we had.”

The Spurs' $710,282.53 made up the majority of the final haul. That amount was paid on June 24, according to the report, and on that day and the next, the campaign paid its final bills.

Leo Gomez, vice president of Spurs Sports and Entertainment, said the payment was “absolutely” to help close out the campaign. “The investors said they were committed to supporting all four proposals and that's exactly what they did,” he said.

Most of the money went to Public Strategies, Inc., of Dallas, which coordinated the media campaign, and was paid just over $551,000. Guerra DeBerry Coody was paid almost $350,000, $211,000 of that for “campaign counsel.”

A final poll by Baselice & Associates, taken the week before the May 10 election, cost about $24,000, while an analysis of the visitor tax campaign by TXP of Austin cost $25,000.

“Grass-roots” get-out-the-vote efforts, including block walking, van rides to polling places and sign wavers, cost almost $70,000.

Of that, Ramon & Associates, a South Side political consultant, was paid $24,700. Owner JoAnn Ramon also sat on the venue tax's sports subcommittee, which chose the amateur sports projects that would ultimately get venue tax funding.

Trish DeBerry of Guerra DeBerry Coody said Ramon was “only one member of a large and diverse community volunteer group,” and that she was hired for her “professional status” to help get the campaign's message out. “JoAnn routinely is hired on campaigns,” DeBerry wrote in an e-mail, “because that's what she does for a living.”

COPS/Metro Alliance, a community group that came out in favor of the amateur sports portion of the tax, was paid $5,000 for block walking and fliers.

Bexar County commissioners are currently finalizing individual agreements for each project. All 13 amateur sports projects will have funds available by the end of this year, said Mike Sculley, director of community venue projects.

wisnub
07-18-2008, 03:44 AM
This is exactly what matters beside quality character and championship: MONEY. Spurs always reluctant to go over the cap, it seems that owner got special request so he can enjoy more income, but I dont think he focus enough for marketing campaign since Spurs often bombarded with negative media such as label of: boring teams,old and this is the most stupid one created by loser Suns: dirty team. I still believe Spurs can turn all the lies around by employing best marketing and image builder...I know we are class organisation, but I still think this kind of improvement is needed. I just hate that my team is misunderstood by most of people because most of people didnt watch Spurs game, they just look at paper and buy whatever media said....

mrspurs
07-18-2008, 07:01 AM
sometimes you gotta shoot a hostage....sounds like holt reached into his pockets and paid some money........that happens to rich ppl. from time to time.........good thing rich ppl. have more then one thing going on at a time.....holt is one guy you have no choice but to like....he gives you money, then you give it back next time something around the city gets built....almost like working for HEB, you work your butt off all day or night, then on pay day take your check and spend it where else? HEB of course.....if your hungry

Big P
07-18-2008, 09:27 AM
This is exactly what matters beside quality character and championship: MONEY. Spurs always reluctant to go over the cap, it seems that owner got special request so he can enjoy more income, but I dont think he focus enough for marketing campaign since Spurs often bombarded with negative media such as label of: boring teams,old and this is the most stupid one created by loser Suns: dirty team. I still believe Spurs can turn all the lies around by employing best marketing and image builder...I know we are class organisation, but I still think this kind of improvement is needed. I just hate that my team is misunderstood by most of people because most of people didnt watch Spurs game, they just look at paper and buy whatever media said....

You have no clue what you are talking about.

jag
07-18-2008, 10:34 AM
sometimes you gotta shoot a hostage....sounds like holt reached into his pockets and paid some money........that happens to rich ppl. from time to time.........good thing rich ppl. have more then one thing going on at a time.....holt is one guy you have no choice but to like....he gives you money, then you give it back next time something around the city gets built....almost like working for HEB, you work your butt off all day or night, then on pay day take your check and spend it where else? HEB of course.....if your hungry

I'm sorry to keep hounding you, but i cannot, for the life of me, read your posts without laughing. The world in which you post is one of your own.

50 cent
07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
What exactly are they looking to update in the arena?

nil.ball
07-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Have you seen the movie semi-pro?
hehe

T Park
07-18-2008, 05:47 PM
What exactly are they looking to update in the arena?

I think they said what they would like to update but I can't recall what it is.

I think its overall upkeep, additional seats, just normal arena upgrade stuff.

tlongII
07-18-2008, 07:07 PM
I think they said what they would like to update but I can't recall what it is.

I think its overall upkeep, additional seats, just normal arena upgrade stuff.

$75 Mil for upkeep??? :lol

braeden0613
07-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Ah the old stream of consciousness post. :lol

exstatic
07-18-2008, 07:34 PM
$75 Mil for upkeep??? :lol

Uh yeah. They aren't doing anything until 2012, and at that point, the Spurs will have been in the arena for 10 years. I think it's both upkeep and improvements. They built the whole arena for $175M, pretty damned inexpensive, so I think they skipped a few amenities.