PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2008, 01:31 AM
...who hates this time of year?

For some reason, free agency short circuits otherwise reasonable people's brains and makes them panicky and irrational. As a consequence, ST gets inundated with freakin morons. That's why I've given this place a break for most of this month, and I must say that it was a great decision as I've managed to avoid at least two migraines (anyone who has had a true migraine knows what that means).

The thing that amazes me most is the angst and aggression that comes out over something that people have absolutely NO control over. Sure, we all get wound up during a tight game, but that's part of the fun of being a fan. Is the free agency period the same? I think not. It's more about anger than tension and excitement. And what's more, we have one of the best FOs in the NBA! They know their jobs and do them well. Hell, they've delivered us all 4 trophies!!!

Peace to all the cool-headed folks around here, and to all the Chicken Littles, GTFOH!

:downspin:

mystargtr34
07-18-2008, 02:26 AM
The FO is human after all, they've made mistakes before that some people on here predicted occuring before they even did... so they shoyuldnt automatically get a free pass every year and after every mistake.

freemeat
07-18-2008, 03:14 AM
the answer for a lot of these people (including me and you) = vacation

mrspurs
07-18-2008, 07:05 AM
what are you quitting?.......if you cant take the heat, then get out of the kitchen....guess you couldnt help yourself to this thread....

anakha
07-18-2008, 07:35 AM
what are you quitting?.......if you cant take the heat, then get out of the kitchen....guess you couldnt help yourself to this thread....

That whistling sound you're hearing was the OP's point rushing completely over your head. :lol

VaSpursFan
07-18-2008, 08:29 AM
ruff...i'm with you buddy. if all 3 of our draft picks aren't averaging 40 points in the summer league playground ball, then the FO has fucked up. if a player that's known as a scorer goes through a shooting slump while demonstrating proficiency at other things, he's a bust and we should have drafted x,y or z from big name university. it's insane, i tell you. and, trying to reason with some, the logic goes right over there head. when was the last time we added a player, veteran or rookie, that came in and fully grasped everything. it usually takes a full season but with our draft picks we want instant results.

i'm mellowing out too and let the worriers worry. i can't wait for pre-season when you can truly see what a player can do in our system after going through a training camp. even then, it'll still be some time before they completely understand the system and all the nuances.

Solid D
07-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Hey Ruff! Soooo, what you're sayin' is....if you're going to jump off a cliff, do it in Acapulco?

http://drcelestinemd.sulekha.com/mstore/DRCELESTINEMD/albums/default/TheSeaofSunset-large.jpg

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2008, 09:10 AM
;)

:D

The other thing I'll say is that some of the FOs "mistakes" aren't their mistakes - they are ownership directives. Scola was clearly an ownership directive. Not going after any big FA contracts (ie. over 2 years or the entire MLE) this year may well have been an ownership directive, although it might also have been part of a 2010 plan (and if so, I think it is a mistake as wasting any of Duncan's remaining years is foolish... but then again, planning to keep the team competitive over the long run also makes sense, especially for the ownership who don't want attendance to disappear during a rebuilding phase).

Anyway, I'm enjoying the break. See you in a month or two.

PS Can we make a list of all the cliff jumpers and put the title "pseudofan" under their handles? I'm not talking about people debating the merits of things - that's cool - I'm talking about the "we're fucked! woe is me!" crowd that appears here every year from June-August.

oligarchy
07-18-2008, 09:16 AM
The FO is human after all, they've made mistakes before that some people on here predicted occuring before they even did... so they shoyuldnt automatically get a free pass every year and after every mistake.

Every Front Office makes mistakes -- I don't believe anyone isn't assenting to that point. The point is that people go overboard with the assessment that the FO is somehow completely incompetent in their duties. They believe that if there aren't moves every single day, brining in the biggest names, of course, means that they "suck." There's a difference between a free pass, as you call it, and not belittling the FO for things that are out of their control or things they simply aren't going to do -- like spend freely and go over the luxury tax line, enter into long bad contracts, etc.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Every Front Office makes mistakes -- I don't believe anyone isn't assenting to that point. The point is that people go overboard with the assessment that the FO is somehow completely incompetent in their duties. They believe that if there aren't moves every single day, brining in the biggest names, of course, means that they "suck." There's a difference between a free pass, as you call it, and not belittling the FO for things that are out of their control or things they simply aren't going to do -- like spend freely and go over the luxury tax line, enter into long bad contracts, etc.

Well said sir!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2008, 09:35 AM

Well said sir!

jag
07-18-2008, 10:02 AM

Wow, i despise everything about you.

rascal
07-18-2008, 11:11 AM
This place is more interesting during the offseason then during the season.

xtremesteven33
07-18-2008, 11:14 AM
ive said it once ill say it again. Spurstalkers are flip floppers.

Everyone cries that we need young guys, so we get young and green and everyone now starts crying that we havent recruited the right guys.

funny also that were only 2 weeks into FA. quit crying and acting like you know better than the FO. youre all just a bunch of peeons acting like you know more than men who have run things to get us 4 RINGS. all while sitting on your stupid couch.

Brutalis
07-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Scola wasn't the Spurs FO mistake. Okay.

Grass isn't green. Okay.

wisnub
07-18-2008, 06:01 PM

Amen....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Scola wasn't the Spurs FO mistake. Okay.

Grass isn't green. Okay.

C'mon Brutalis, you can do better than that. Scola was about lux tax - your boss tells you to do something, you do it, and the ultimate boss of an NBA team is the ownership. The FO would've signed Scola if there weren't monetary issues. Get angry at Holt for that one, not the FO.

Anyway, that's not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is that the cliff-jumping shits me and people should wake the fuck up to themselves.