PDA

View Full Version : Omg!!! CPS BILL!!

Taco
07-18-2008, 07:29 AM
WE GOT OUR CPS BILL AND I NEARLY CRAPPED MY PANTS

:wow:wow $433.00 ?!?!?!?! :wow:wow

to21
07-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Damn and I bitched about our $270 dollar one.

CPS Exec: "Yeah people are staying home and not spending money, what can we do to fuck'em over...........let's raise rates!"

remingtonbo2001
07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
My dad's was close to $900

MoSpur
07-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Wow. And I was ticked off about a $130 dollar bill.

Taco
07-18-2008, 11:20 AM

OUCH !!!

DarkReign
07-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Maybe Im naivé, but why are all of your bills so high?

I assume CPS is your natural gas provider? Or electricity? Or both?

MannyIsGod
07-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Maybe Im naivé, but why are all of your bills so high?

I assume CPS is your natural gas provider? Or electricity? Or both?

Its both. Bills are high right now because in the summer AC runs nonstop here.

johnsmith
07-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Its both. Bills are high right now because in the summer AC runs nonstop here.

No shit. I've lived in various places in South Texas for the last five years and I don't remember it ever being this fucking hot.

It's been like 98 degrees for three months now.

Taco
07-18-2008, 12:20 PM
OUR HOUSE IS ALL ELECTRIC

WE'VE LIVED THERE FOR 11 YEARS SUMMER AVG IS UPPER $200's LOW $300's (VERY RARE IT WAS OVER $300)

WE REALLY HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING DIFFERENT THAN IN THE PAST

GEEZE

MAYBE I'LL START PANHANDELING

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8069/imgp2178og4.jpg
LIKE MY SIGN?

MannyIsGod
07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
No shit. I've lived in various places in South Texas for the last five years and I don't remember it ever being this fucking hot.

It's been like 98 degrees for three months now.

Yeah - its been VERY hot this summer. Sucks.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-18-2008, 12:34 PM
thank the environmentals among others.

ese
07-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Use some fans and keep the AC on 85.

SequSpur
07-18-2008, 05:31 PM
It's the increased surcharges.

Kori Ellis
07-18-2008, 05:39 PM
LJ keeps our air conditioning on 65 (yes, I know that's ridiculously cold) 24 hours a day. Usually our electric bill is around $120 in the winter and $220 in the summer.

Last month's bill was $270. This month - $375.

Please, we didn't use that much more electricity!

Clandestino
07-18-2008, 06:18 PM
normal 75-90, summer 150-180.. this summer 250!

Chief
07-18-2008, 06:21 PM
WE GOT OUR CPS BILL AND I NEARLY CRAPPED MY PANTS

:wow:wow $433.00 ?!?!?!?! :wow:wow

how many kilowats ?

CubanMustGo
07-18-2008, 06:25 PM
What are you guys paying per kWh down there?

katyon6th
07-18-2008, 06:44 PM

Fuuuck. And I complained about my $80 bill. What the hell is your dad doing at his house??

exstatic
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM

For what? Trying to make it NOT so hot outside?

MannyIsGod
07-18-2008, 07:37 PM

LOL

purist
07-19-2008, 04:44 AM
thank the over zealous enviro agenda for inundating the energy industry with regulations upon regulations which drive consumer costs up. I'ts why we don't have enough refining capacity to meet our oil needs in this country. balance is always key, but political agendas are driven by the extremist positions on both sides.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2008, 07:05 AM
thank the over zealous enviro agenda for inundating the energy industry with regulations upon regulations which drive consumer costs up. I'ts why we don't have enough refining capacity to meet our oil needs in this country. balance is always key, but political agendas are driven by the extremist positions on both sides.

:lol I love it when people who know jack shit about the oil industry try to tell us why there are no refineries.

PEP
07-19-2008, 07:49 AM
:lol I love it when people who know jack shit about the oil industry try to tell us why there are no refineries.

Just like the tree huggers that try to tell us how to save the environment.

My bill was $200 something, no different than it usually is during the summer months. I keep the temp at 79.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-19-2008, 11:07 AM

LOLjust vote for obamessiah. everything will fall into place
:lmao

remingtonbo2001
07-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Fuuuck. And I complained about my $80 bill. What the hell is your dad doing at his house??

More like my mom.

Let's see. There always a light on somewhere in the house, usually in two rooms. 24 hours.

There's usually a tv running. 24 hours. Sometimes two, even though no one is in the room.

The temperature in our house runs around 74-77 degrees.

Oh and the radio in the garage is running.

2 computers running simultaniously.

Yep.

boutons_
07-19-2008, 11:36 AM
From what CPS said in the E-N earlier, we should have known it was gonna be bad, but those are still some amazingly high bills.

SA June with many days 95F+ was as hot as the average Jul-Aug.

And then there is the drought and water bills trying to keep the grass and plants alive, never mind looking good:

http://drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_south.htm

Anybody tried the "old timey" approach, no A/C, just open windows and fans? Looks like May-June w/o A/C could save some people $1000.

purist
07-19-2008, 11:41 AM

kind of like people who consider themselve on par with the divine?

btw, u don't know what i do or do not know about the oil industry. Fact is we do not have enough refining capacity in this country. so regardles of how much we drill for new oil there are no new refineries to process crude.

jack ass

purist
07-19-2008, 11:46 AM
furthermore, regulatory standards put into place over the past 30 years are only one, but nonetheless a significant influenceing factor, in the cost of building refineries. Of course, there are other factors, like time/cost analysis of the construction process itselfe as well as market incentive/disincentives to build.

but regulatory beauracracy is a contributing factor, imo.

mannyisshit

CubanMustGo
07-19-2008, 11:51 AM
furthermore, regulatory standards put into place over the past 30 years are only one, but nonetheless a significant influenceing factor, in the cost of building refineries. Of course, there are other factors, like time/cost analysis of the construction process itselfe as well as market incentive/disincentives to build.

mannyisshit

Take the political crap to the political forum, you fucking right-wing n00b.

Getting back to the original topic, nobody has answered the question of what you are paying per kWh in SA.

Viva Las Espuelas
07-19-2008, 11:51 AM
oh damn. i think i found a new buddy. welcome aboard, purist. you'll have fun with the forum primate. i predict epic threads will be made by these two. it's a presence i haven't felt since............................................. ..............................

remingtonbo2001
07-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Oh, yes, did I mention we have automatic sprinklers.

And a pool.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2008, 12:05 PM

mannyisshit

My my how quickly it went from it is The reason to a "contributing factor". Don't trip over yourself on the back pedal.

exstatic
07-19-2008, 12:08 PM
The Oilcos have more money than God. The only reason there isn't more refinery capacity is that they don't want it. If more gasoline hits the market, prices go down. It is really that simple.

MannyIsGod
07-19-2008, 12:13 PM
The Oilcos have more money than God. The only reason there isn't more refinery capacity is that they don't want it. If more gasoline hits the market, prices go down. It is really that simple.

The refining capacity of this nation went DOWN since the 70s not because of anything having to do with the environment but because oil companies closed down many refineries that were not profitable to operate.

Now they're scrambling to rebuild the capacity because there is a ton of profitability in them. Its get far more to do with supply and demand than anything else. To sit there and blame it on environmental law is ignorant and flat out retarded.

Not to mention that even if the problems with AMERICAN law were too much to overcome why wouldn't they just build elsewhere? Since when have American corporations felt hamstrung to this country and its workers?

purist
07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
The refining capacity of this nation went DOWN since the 70s not because of anything having to do with the environment but because oil companies closed down many refineries that were not profitable to operate.

Now they're scrambling to rebuild the capacity because there is a ton of profitability in them. Its get far more to do with supply and demand than anything else. To sit there and blame it on environmental law is ignorant and flat out retarded.

Not to mention that even if the problems with AMERICAN law were too much to overcome why wouldn't they just build elsewhere? Since when have American corporations felt hamstrung to this country and its workers?

Look, this is a freaking forum. you're nitpicking words. environmentalism has had an impact on the energy industry as a whole. If you can't see that, then I can't convince you on this forum. Of course there are other factors, but ask CPS what kind of crap they have to go through just to get governfmental approvals for coal or nuclear powered plants.

I'm not saying some of it is not necessary. checks and balances are indeed necessary. but as i said in my original post, extremists on the political spectrum tend to screw things up for the vast majority of us.
Everytime CPS talks about expanding its resources (ie. power plants) the enviro extremists come out of the woodwork to protest. But truth is CPS has provided among the best value nationally in gas and electricity to its customers for decades. ANd, no, I don't work for cps.

Responsible resource management makes sense on many fronts. It's common sense. the left would have us living in huts with no a/c, no cars, ...basically a third world existence. the right would have us living in a world of concrete and pavement. Reason lies int he middle. That was my point.

but to the original thread, it should be no surprise utility bills are up.

purist
07-19-2008, 12:51 PM

Getting back to the original topic, nobody has answered the question of what you are paying per kWh in SA.

what's a noob?

purist
07-19-2008, 12:52 PM

sorry, politics and energy costs go hand in hand.

Anti.Hero
07-19-2008, 01:03 PM
You can either afford it or open windows. It's not a hard concept.

Just wait for the riots this winter in the NE! haha

MannyIsGod
07-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Look, this is a freaking forum. you're nitpicking words. environmentalism has had an impact on the energy industry as a whole. If you can't see that, then I can't convince you on this forum. Of course there are other factors, but ask CPS what kind of crap they have to go through just to get governfmental approvals for coal or nuclear powered plants.

I'm not saying some of it is not necessary. checks and balances are indeed necessary. but as i said in my original post, extremists on the political spectrum tend to screw things up for the vast majority of us.
Everytime CPS talks about expanding its resources (ie. power plants) the enviro extremists come out of the woodwork to protest. But truth is CPS has provided among the best value nationally in gas and electricity to its customers for decades. ANd, no, I don't work for cps.

Responsible resource management makes sense on many fronts. It's common sense. the left would have us living in huts with no a/c, no cars, ...basically a third world existence. the right would have us living in a world of concrete and pavement. Reason lies int he middle. That was my point.

but to the original thread, it should be no surprise utility bills are up.

fair enoug - good post

boutons_
07-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Apparently Houston's electricity is much more expensive than SA. Not due to enviro concerns, but the corps playing money and legal games, buying/selling the Hou area electricity suppliers.

The comparatively cheap electricity in SA is why MS decided to locate a data center here, electricity being a huge portion of data center costs.

So we can expect data center services to be raised.

sabar
07-19-2008, 03:52 PM
LJ keeps our air conditioning on 65 (yes, I know that's ridiculously cold) 24 hours a day. Usually our electric bill is around $120 in the winter and $220 in the summer.

Wow I envy you. A/C runs 8 hours a day at 79-83 depending on time of day and costs go over $400. I'd kill to run it anywhere near 72.

robino2001
07-19-2008, 05:42 PM

I asked my parents a few months ago what they were paying (CPS-SA) and they said their rates were 6._ per kwh and they just got increased to 7.9 per kwh. Austin is regulated and they were paying 10-ish. I'm deregulated (in Round Rock) and was locked in at 12 per kwh until May and got shot up to the market rate which currently is just over 20 per kwh. I just locked in again with another company at 14.1.

Apparently Houston's electricity is much more expensive than SA. Not due to enviro concerns, but the corps playing money and legal games, buying/selling the Hou area electricity suppliers.
That's how a good chunk of texas is who has been deregulated. I know there is one other city on top of SA and Austin who is still regulated... maybe a part of DFW and.... Lubbock? Most of the rates when I was shopping a month back were in the 18 range state wide (if you lock in for a length) so if you're not regulated, you just need to shop every 12 months (or 24, 36, etc) for the cheapest rate possible at the time.

SequSpur
07-19-2008, 08:02 PM
a noob is someone new.

TDMVPDPOY
07-20-2008, 04:19 AM
i feel you fellas

my mom pays about 350-440 on gas/electricity bills for every quarter...

fuckn that energy emissions scheme to combat climate change is a load of shit, all it does is increase prices and family budgets...whats the point of doing it when other countries are not committed to the same scheme.

ps. hows everyones tax returns this year? :(:(

S_A_Longhorn
07-21-2008, 09:44 AM
I paid about $165 this month. But this is what really ticks me off...

Thanx to the hndy-dandy chart on the CPS bill, I used less electricity last month than I did last June 2007. But I paid more.

Next, CPS likes to brag that they have the lowest rate among the bigger cities in Texas )Dallas, Forth Worth, Austin, Houston, Corpus, etc.) but I bet that rate doesn't include all the other charges that CPS tacks on to your KWT usage. For example, the yo-yo rate of "Fuel Adjustment". Would someone care to explain to me why CPS can change this rate every month as they see fit? It's basically a volitle tax by the City of San Antonio. This month's bill as over $.03 a KWT, not much unless you consider the standard rate for usage is $.06/kwt. I'm paying an additional 50% on the same amount of KWT. Then there's the ever so explained "Peak Charges".

JoeChalupa
07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
$160

Mark in Austin
07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Part of the reson a lot of people are feeling the pain is because we (individually) are not thinking long term in our purchasing/lifestyle decisions - especially with respect to our homes.

All this talk of refineries and red tape doesn't change the fact that there are very simple things we can all do now to reuce our bills.

First, the low hanging fruit:
-Make sure all windows and doors have weather stripping.
-Make incremental changes in how cool you keep the house - if you traditionally keep it at 74, try 75 or 76. Use fans to supplement A/C.
-Unplug appliances that aren't being used (phantom power drains from microwaves, cable boxes, etc are responsible for a considerable amout of your bill)
-Turn off your computer(s) when you're not using them.
-Mare sure any new electronics you by are energy star rated.
-Check to see if CPS offeres free or discounted energy audits so you can get a specific list of things to do on your home that will provide the most bang for the buck. (Austin Energy provides this service free to all subscribers.)
-By a thermal blanket for your water heater (the older the heater, the more critical this one is).

Some things that will cost some money up front but will have a quick payoff:
-Check with CPS to see what efficiency improvements they are providing partial or full rebates for. Start with making these improvements to your house as you can.
-Subscribe to your green energy program. (In Austin right now, green energy costs an extra 1.85 cents per kWh over regular. However, the rate is locked in until the end of 2022. I subscribed a couple years ago and am locked in at a rate that is now .5 cents per kWh LESS than the standard rate - and I will pay that until 2020.) Check the details of CPS's Windtricity program to see if there are similar rate freezes available. If there are, by locking in your rate for the next 15 years you get predictability and can budget more effectively for energy costs. You pay a little more up front, but your rate stays the same as everyone else's rises for the next 15 years.
-Check the amount of insulation in the attic. Add more if there isn't enough.
-Replace your old light bulbs with CFL's
-Look into a radiant barrier for your roof. (Austin Energy provides a rebate for these, check with CPS to see if they do too. They can reduce eneregy demand by up to 30%)
-Look into adding a good window film to the windows that face direct sunlight. (Huper Optik makes a film that is barely visible on the window but can reduce thermal gain by 50% and blocks 99% of UV.)
-Try to plant a shade tree or provide a shade structure by your a/c unit. Ever notice the difference between standing in the direct sun versus under shade trees? The same concept can apply to a/c. The cooler the tempresture of the air is that the unit draws in, the less it has to work to further cool it for indoor use. Make sure you provide enough space for air to freely circulate though.

Big Time:
-When remodeling, always buy the most efficient windows and appliances you can afford.
-When replacing an A/C system, make sure the unit is sized correctly and can also remove humidity, not just heat to help cooling. (Don't count on Bubba's brother that said he'd do the work cheap to pick out the right unit. Contact manufacturer's directly if you have to. Most sales reps can provide info on which units are appropriate for your particular situation.)
-Monitor the (likely) upcoming federal rebats for adding solar to your roof and add these to your home.
-After construction, have your home's energy systems commissioned to make sure they are running at peak efficiency.

The good news is that every single one of these things will add value to your home.

I don't know everything, but would be happy to share what I do know or put you in touch with others that might have answers for you. Send me a PM here - I'll try to check them once a day or so.

-Mark

mrsmaalox
07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
I paid $452 this month. Last month was $270!! A big chunk of my problem is 3 kids being out of school for the summer. 5 tvs and 4 computers, something is running all the time. Also when it gets so hot I keep my pool pump on 24 hrs instead of on a timer. And a/c set 75-77 for 24 hrs/day.

CubanMustGo
07-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I paid about $165 this month. But this is what really ticks me off...

Thanx to the hndy-dandy chart on the CPS bill, I used less electricity last month than I did last June 2007. But I paid more.

Next, CPS likes to brag that they have the lowest rate among the bigger cities in Texas )Dallas, Forth Worth, Austin, Houston, Corpus, etc.) but I bet that rate doesn't include all the other charges that CPS tacks on to your KWT usage. For example, the yo-yo rate of "Fuel Adjustment". Would someone care to explain to me why CPS can change this rate every month as they see fit? It's basically a volitle tax by the City of San Antonio. This month's bill as over $.03 a KWT, not much unless you consider the standard rate for usage is $.06/kwt. I'm paying an additional 50% on the same amount of KWT. Then there's the ever so explained "Peak Charges".

Waaaah!!

Why don't you leave your CPS cocoon and see what real-world prices are actually like in the rest of Texas? I just got my latest bill. 14.84 fucking cents per kWh and that is about as low as any of the "deregulated" providers charge in D/FW. Many charge 17-20 cents per kWh because natural gas prices have shot up (thus your fuel adjustment) and when Texas needs more power to meet demand, old gas-powered plants are cranked on-line (your peak charges).

I'll trade bills with you any day. We used 1900 kWh (much more than usual because we were showing our house to prospective buyers and had the temp cranked down to 76) and our bill was right at $300. It would have been about $100 less in CPSland.

Do a little research next time before you go around slamming one of the best deals in the state.

S_A_Longhorn
07-22-2008, 09:50 AM
I'll trade bills with you any day. We used 1900 kWh (much more than usual because we were showing our house to prospective buyers and had the temp cranked down to 76) and our bill was right at $300. It would have been about $100 less in CPSland.

Do a little research next time before you go around slamming one of the best deals in the state.

Highly doubful, since I spent about 1000 kwh. You nearly doubled that, so your bill would have been about $330 ($165 x2). Of course, your bill would also include another KWH-cap CPS charge since you went over their "limit" for a residential user.

YOU SHOULD do a little research next time before yo go around making an ass of yourself.

ploto
07-31-2008, 01:20 PM
Warning--

I got my CPS bill today, and even though I used less electricity than the previous month, my bill still went up almost 8%. They hiked the fuel adjustment charges for both electric and gas and the regulatory adjustment charge on the electric.

Bigzax
07-31-2008, 01:35 PM
I paid $452 this month. Last month was $270!! A big chunk of my problem is 3 kids being out of school for the summer. 5 tvs and 4 computers, something is running all the time. Also when it gets so hot I keep my pool pump on 24 hrs instead of on a timer. And a/c set 75-77 for 24 hrs/day.

5 tv's and 4 computers for 3 kids?!

Get them one basketball and one hoop...

throw in an ass whuppin...and tellem to get the fuck outside!

Ginofan
07-31-2008, 01:55 PM
I take care of all the bills for my work and I just paid the CPS bill for a grand total of $6.10! I don't know if they didn't read the meter right or what, but we usually average about $200-$300 a month. If I don't report this to CPS do you think they will slap us with a double bill next month or something?

bobbybob0
07-31-2008, 02:13 PM
Part of the reson a lot of people are feeling the pain is because we (individually) are not thinking long term in our purchasing/lifestyle decisions - especially with respect to our homes.

All this talk of refineries and red tape doesn't change the fact that there are very simple things we can all do now to reuce our bills.

First, the low hanging fruit:
-Make sure all windows and doors have weather stripping.
-Make incremental changes in how cool you keep the house - if you traditionally keep it at 74, try 75 or 76. Use fans to supplement A/C.
-Unplug appliances that aren't being used (phantom power drains from microwaves, cable boxes, etc are responsible for a considerable amout of your bill)
-Turn off your computer(s) when you're not using them.
-Mare sure any new electronics you by are energy star rated.
-Check to see if CPS offeres free or discounted energy audits so you can get a specific list of things to do on your home that will provide the most bang for the buck. (Austin Energy provides this service free to all subscribers.)
-By a thermal blanket for your water heater (the older the heater, the more critical this one is).

Some things that will cost some money up front but will have a quick payoff:
-Check with CPS to see what efficiency improvements they are providing partial or full rebates for. Start with making these improvements to your house as you can.
-Subscribe to your green energy program. (In Austin right now, green energy costs an extra 1.85 cents per kWh over regular. However, the rate is locked in until the end of 2022. I subscribed a couple years ago and am locked in at a rate that is now .5 cents per kWh LESS than the standard rate - and I will pay that until 2020.) Check the details of CPS's Windtricity program to see if there are similar rate freezes available. If there are, by locking in your rate for the next 15 years you get predictability and can budget more effectively for energy costs. You pay a little more up front, but your rate stays the same as everyone else's rises for the next 15 years.
-Check the amount of insulation in the attic. Add more if there isn't enough.
-Replace your old light bulbs with CFL's
-Look into a radiant barrier for your roof. (Austin Energy provides a rebate for these, check with CPS to see if they do too. They can reduce eneregy demand by up to 30%)
-Look into adding a good window film to the windows that face direct sunlight. (Huper Optik makes a film that is barely visible on the window but can reduce thermal gain by 50% and blocks 99% of UV.)
-Try to plant a shade tree or provide a shade structure by your a/c unit. Ever notice the difference between standing in the direct sun versus under shade trees? The same concept can apply to a/c. The cooler the tempresture of the air is that the unit draws in, the less it has to work to further cool it for indoor use. Make sure you provide enough space for air to freely circulate though.

Big Time:
-When remodeling, always buy the most efficient windows and appliances you can afford.
-When replacing an A/C system, make sure the unit is sized correctly and can also remove humidity, not just heat to help cooling. (Don't count on Bubba's brother that said he'd do the work cheap to pick out the right unit. Contact manufacturer's directly if you have to. Most sales reps can provide info on which units are appropriate for your particular situation.)
-Monitor the (likely) upcoming federal rebats for adding solar to your roof and add these to your home.
-After construction, have your home's energy systems commissioned to make sure they are running at peak efficiency.

The good news is that every single one of these things will add value to your home.

I don't know everything, but would be happy to share what I do know or put you in touch with others that might have answers for you. Send me a PM here - I'll try to check them once a day or so.

-Mark

Just to make sure everyone reads it.

I'm amazed each time I'm in US (my brother's in NY) about the complete waste of energy: oversized cars, AC with windows opened and/or when nobody's in, AC temp well below 72°F and so forth...

mrsmaalox
07-31-2008, 03:12 PM
5 tv's and 4 computers for 3 kids?!

Get them one basketball and one hoop...

throw in an ass whuppin...and tellem to get the fuck outside!

2 TVs and one computer are for me :D They actually have a full sized court with 2 hoops in the backyard, but with this heat I haven't ragged too much on them to get out. And it's rare when all 3 are home at once, it's just that at least one is always home and something is on. And sometimes no one is home but something is still on. That has been a big struggle.

SAGambler
07-31-2008, 03:16 PM
Well, my last month was a whopping $455 along with another $115 from SAWS. This heat is just terrible. Worst I remember in years, and along with the high humidities, it seems like the AC never stops, and if I let the yard go for a couple of days, it looks like it is ready to die.

Oh, well, winters coming soon. I hope.

BigZak
07-31-2008, 05:38 PM
2 TVs and one computer are for me :D They actually have a full sized court with 2 hoops in the backyard, but with this heat I haven't ragged too much on them to get out. And it's rare when all 3 are home at once, it's just that at least one is always home and something is on. And sometimes no one is home but something is still on. That has been a big struggle.

full size court!

awesome, can i come over and play...i got 5 on it to help with your cps bill...

i see a spurstalk bball tourney gtg in your future!!!

blizz
08-01-2008, 03:05 PM
FUCK!! mine was $290 for July....WTF????????????

Kori Ellis
08-12-2008, 11:48 PM
FUCK!! mine was $290 for July....WTF????????????

We used 12% less in July than in June ... but our bill went up by $90. :wtf

Viva Las Espuelas
08-12-2008, 11:51 PM
all i gotta say is wait until winter hits. if you have a fireplace stock up on wood. if not build one.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-13-2008, 09:21 AM

For critical peaks in demand caused by summer airconditioning pushing the price up? Fark off. When the electricity is scarce, pay for it or adjust your behaviour. That's the market.

Learn to use electricity more conservatively and your bill will be more reasonable. I use 6kWh/day on average and live just fine. How much do you use? (and yes, it gets hot here in summer)

S_A_Longhorn
08-13-2008, 09:46 AM

Part of the reason is CPS raised their KWH rate, but the majority of it is the ever-changing "Fuel ADjustment" charge. You pay about $.06 per KWH standard rate of CPS, but the alst two months the "Fuel Adjustment" charge has been $.03 per KWH. So you are basically paying $.09 per kWH.

That "Fuel Adjustment" is basically a moving tax for the City of San Antonio. I can't believe they get away with it.

desflood
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Learn to use electricity more conservatively and your bill will be more reasonable.
Oh, if only it worked that way! We've got an attic so full of insulation we can't even use it, keep every light in the house off all day and have our thermostat set up at 78 degrees... our bill went down to $240 last month. We weren't even in the house for three of those weeks; we were out of state!

boutons_
08-13-2008, 11:00 AM
"Because CPS Energy, whose revenues account for about one-quarter of the city's operating budget, has generated greater profits than anticipated..."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/summersheat_willpay_offfor_sa100.html

Mixability
08-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Just moved into a new house. My wife and I never had central air before. Is it normal for us to leave it off during the day(while we're at work) and to not need it when we sleep(it's freaking freezing at night). Should we feel lucky? It's a programmable thermostat, but our house seems to keep a cool temp without the AC.

SpursWoman
08-25-2008, 09:58 AM
You program it during the day for around 78-80 or so ... don't let it get too hot, because it'll have to expend extra energy cooling everything back down.

Our house is 2 years old now, and the difference in our bill compared to our older home has been pretty incredible. Thank goodness for better built, heavily insulated homes. :tu :)

AlamoSpursFan
08-25-2008, 10:01 AM
Floresville's utility company (FELPS) buys their power fom CPS. They turned around and charged me $452 for last month. The reach around was nice, though...

Mixability
08-25-2008, 10:02 AM
You program it during the day for around 78-80 or so ... don't let it get too hot, because it'll have to expend extra energy cooling everything back down.

Our house is 2 years old now, and the difference in our bill compared to our older home has been pretty incredible. Thank goodness for better built, heavily insulated homes. :tu :)

:tu Thanks.

Do you have to run yours at night? I don't know what it is, but my wife and I still like to open up the windows. I guess we like the smell of fresh air sometimes. We have huge windows in our living room, so we can actually function with no lights on, the windows open and the AC off.

If it wasn't for the HOA, we'd probably have foil in the windows. :lol

slacker77
08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Just got my cps bill last week..$210. Last month..$387. The difference? I had my attic insulated with foam, replaced my single windows with double, and replaced all my light bulbs with CFL's. Oh yeah, and kept the thermostat 76 instead of 72.

fatsack
08-25-2008, 11:34 AM

this is the shit that drives me crazy...

WTF?

Mixability
08-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Just got my cps bill last week..$210. Last month..$387. The difference? I had my attic insulated with foam, replaced my single windows with double, and replaced all my light bulbs with CFL's. Oh yeah, and kept the thermostat 76 instead of 72.

Coming from our houses that had window units, 77 degrees is heaven!

I'm contemplating replacing our bulbs, but is it smart to replace all these brand new regular bulbs that came with the house or should I wait until they go out?

CubanMustGo
08-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Coming from our houses that had window units, 77 degrees is heaven!

I'm contemplating replacing our bulbs, but is it smart to replace all these brand new regular bulbs that came with the house or should I wait until they go out?

Replace 'em. Cost savings add up fast.

For those of you who are still unhappy with your CPS bill, go calculate it at 18.5 cents per kWh. That's what my "competitive" utility hit me with last month. 1500 kWh, $290. With the AC at 78-82 and 86 for three weekends where we were out of town.

slacker77
08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=CubanMustGo;2734032]Replace 'em. Cost savings add up fast.

agreed. replace them now. The energy savers are a little pricey, but are way worth it in the long run.

Mixability
08-25-2008, 12:25 PM
:tu

Anyone have a guideline as to which bulbs work best in what rooms? I'm brand new to this homeowner stuff, so any tips would be great.

desflood
08-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Solar screens are great. Replace your regular screens with 'em... keeps the house darker and cooler, especially with large windows.

CubanMustGo
08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
:tu

Anyone have a guideline as to which bulbs work best in what rooms? I'm brand new to this homeowner stuff, so any tips would be great.

One thing you will notice is that there are different brightness/spectrum bulbs. There is soft white, 'daylight' (kind of bluish), and an in-between. Different people like different things so it's hard to recommend which one is right for you.

CFLs will say "100 watt equivalent" and then list the actual wattage - it's about a 5:1 ratio. I've mixed and matched brands, never really had much of a problem with any of them. We use them in ceiling fans, lamps, overhead bulbs, bathroom fixtures, and even outside too. It is a good idea, tho, to use the same brand in multi-light fixtures as bulbs can differ slightly in size, shape, and output.

They do take a little while to come up to their full brightness, especially if it's cold.

And, of course, you want to be very careful because if they break there is a small amount of mercury that requires slightly special cleanup.

I second desflood's solar screen recommendation, especially where you have windows that have no trees to diffuse the incoming light.

Mark in Austin
08-25-2008, 05:48 PM

So to state the obvious, if you keep the thermostat at 78 when you're home, then using SW's strategy you could bump into the mid-80's when nobody is there.

However, here's how to tell what to set it at:

Day 1: before you leave in the morning, turn off the system. Check and note your meter when you leave. When you get home turn it down to where you typically like to keep the temp.

Day 2: Before you leave the next morning, set your thermostat at 90 degrees. Again, check your electrical meter and write down your usage before leaving. When you get home, turn it down to the same temp as you did the night before.

Day 3: Before you leave set the 'stat like SW suggested above - 5-7degrees above where you typically have it set when you get home. Again, check and note the electrical usage at the meter. When you get home, turn it down to the your usual setting.

Day 4: Before you leave, check your meter and write down the usage again. You should now have three days worth of data:
-Total energy used in 24 hours when turning off the a/c completely when nobody is at home.
-Total energy used in a 24 hour period when thermostat is turned up to 90 degrees when nobody is home.
-Total energy used in a 24-hour period when the temp is set at 5-7 degrees above normal when nobody is home.

Assuming similar weather and fairly consistent electricity use across all three days other than the a/c differences, this will allow you to make sure you are actually using as little electricity as possible. Homes can vary quite a bit in how to deal with a/c. Spend a couple days investigating what works best for your particular home and you can maximize what you save. (Generally, the smaller the square footage of a new home, the more likely it is that simply turning off the system is the best bet to save money since the smaller the space, the less time it takes to cool it down in the evenings)

I'd also recommend getting a good window film installed on all windows that get afternoon summer sun:

www.huperoptik.com has a line of ceramic windowfilms that are almost invisible on the windows - not the highly reflective or purple looking shitty stuff on old windows. These new films can reject up to 67% of solar energy. The Huper Ceramic 30 rejects 61% of solar energy and actually is slightly less reflective than a standard double paned window. It costs about $8.00/sf installed, I believe. If you're going to be in the house a while, it is worth it.

Also, simply planting a tree to shade your a/c unit will help out. (Make sure it is far enough away that it doesn't block airflow - check the owners manual to see how much clear space is recommended around your a/c unit.) It's the same concept as standing in the shade for us on a hot day. The cooler the air is that th unit draws in, the less energy it has to spend cooling it down to the temp you want it inside.

Mark in Austin
08-25-2008, 06:14 PM
One thing you will notice is that there are different brightness/spectrum bulbs. There is soft white, 'daylight' (kind of bluish), and an in-between. Different people like different things so it's hard to recommend which one is right for you.

CFLs will say "100 watt equivalent" and then list the actual wattage - it's about a 5:1 ratio. I've mixed and matched brands, never really had much of a problem with any of them. We use them in ceiling fans, lamps, overhead bulbs, bathroom fixtures, and even outside too. It is a good idea, tho, to use the same brand in multi-light fixtures as bulbs can differ slightly in size, shape, and output.

They do take a little while to come up to their full brightness, especially if it's cold.

The higher quality the CFL, the less time it will take to reach full brightness. Some people will try the store-bought CFL's and say they suck in comparison to incandesants. Usually it's because they're used to a bulb with a higher k (color tempreatue) measurement. Sometimes it is hard to find different color tempreatures in stores - often the only options are the standard CFL's at around 3000k, or CFL's labled "full spectrum" - that have a higher k value and approximate natural sumlight. www.bulbs.com carries a really wide range 2700k - 6500k. Personally I like my lights to be closer to daylight - around 4700-5200k. (true daylight is at 6500k but for me anything higher than 5100 looks too blue-ish for me)

One other thing to consider - especially in lamps where there is only one socket - you might think about jumping up in wattage - if you're replacing a 60w bulb, try using a 75w CFL. It still uses much less energy than a regular bulb, but provides a little more brightness.

SpursWoman
08-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Personally I like my lights to be closer to daylight - around 4700-5200k. (true daylight is at 6500k but for me anything higher than 5100 looks too blue-ish for me)

We started replacing ours a few at a time ... and started with my laundry room light because it just happened to be the first to burn out. We got one with the bluish-tint ... and it felt like I was going to get mugged in there. I don't like that one either. :lol

We've gotten the better ones since then, and you really can't tell the difference in lighting. We're doing all of the recess cans in the kitchen next. :)

timvp
08-25-2008, 06:33 PM
I must be a different type of primate because I can't survive in any temperature over 65. For me to sleep it needs to be 62 or under. I usually keep the thermostat between 58 and 60 ... as anyone who has been to a GTG can attest to.

I actually like it colder but this is about as cold as I can keep it without Kori turning into ice.

CubanMustGo
08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
I must be a different type of primate because I can't survive in any temperature over 65. For me to sleep it needs to be 62 or under. I usually keep the thermostat between 58 and 60 ... as anyone who has been to a GTG can attest to.

I actually like it colder but this is about as cold as I can keep it without Kori turning into ice.

Damn richers.

:lol

Mark in Austin
08-26-2008, 12:50 AM

Sounds like you're making a substantial payment every month. You might look into a geothermal system - they drill several holes 200 feet or so down in the ground, then circulate water through pipes in the holes - the earth naturally brings the water to ground tempreature - the water is used to cool the air first, then a smaller, much less energy intensive a/c unit finishes off the job if needed. They're pretty expensive up front, but with a bill as high as yours sounds like it might pencil in several years. The other big thing that might help you guys is a radiant barrier and more insulation in the attic - it would reduce the constant load on the a/c unit.

Kamnik
08-26-2008, 04:01 AM

I think we are from the same line of apes.

People look at me weird when im in short sleeves or in a shirt when everyone wears jackets and pulovers.

I basically dont buy anything with long sleeves because I noticed i never wear it after.

Mr Dio
09-01-2008, 12:18 PM
OK, just 2 more big bills to go! Sep & Oct then we get some decent ones.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-01-2008, 09:10 PM
As a general comment, try to work out where your electricity is going, then adjust your behaviour accordingly. Best way to do it is a home electricity audit, which you can do yourself - look it up on the web. I could also send you the method I used if you like. Once you know where it's going, you have more power over your consumption.

As a rough guide, in Australia: 60% of household energy goes to space heating/cooling, 20% to water heating, and the rest to appliances (although high-usage appliances like plasmas and computers with beefy specs, and the sheer number appliances, is changing this a bit). Of course, that will differ depending on your climate. However, in general lighting accounts for only about 4% of the average household's energy consumption. Oh, and appliances more than a few years old will be sucking down 8-10% of their operating load when on standby, so try turning them off at the switch. Also, things like modems which run all the time even when not in use should be turned off when you don't need them. And clothes dryers use a lot of electricity... I could go on, but the information is all out there, and y'all are savvy internet users, so go find it! It'll save you money! ;)

Part of the reason is CPS raised their KWH rate, but the majority of it is the ever-changing "Fuel ADjustment" charge. You pay about $.06 per KWH standard rate of CPS, but the alst two months the "Fuel Adjustment" charge has been $.03 per KWH. So you are basically paying $.09 per kWH.

That "Fuel Adjustment" is basically a moving tax for the City of San Antonio. I can't believe they get away with it.

6c/kWh!? If so, that's the cheapest electricity in the world! Below, Cuban calculated his to be 18.5c/kWh. Check your bills - it will tell you what you are paying per kWh.

Oh, if only it worked that way! We've got an attic so full of insulation we can't even use it, keep every light in the house off all day and have our thermostat set up at 78 degrees... our bill went down to $240 last month. We weren't even in the house for three of those weeks; we were out of state!

? I don't understand what you are trying to say. Your bill went down because you were out of state and thus not using electricity. Makes sense.

Just moved into a new house. My wife and I never had central air before. Is it normal for us to leave it off during the day(while we're at work) and to not need it when we sleep(it's freaking freezing at night). Should we feel lucky? It's a programmable thermostat, but our house seems to keep a cool temp without the AC.

Normal? What is normal? Not using it is good whether it's normal or not - it's saving you money! Sounds to me like your house was built with some degree of proper thermal architecture in mind.

Replace 'em. Cost savings add up fast.

For those of you who are still unhappy with your CPS bill, go calculate it at 18.5 cents per kWh. That's what my "competitive" utility hit me with last month. 1500 kWh, $290. With the AC at 78-82 and 86 for three weekends where we were out of town.

Do you have peak pricing, or a standard rate?

I'm amazed at how reliant the world has become on A/C. Sure, it's nice, but 15 years ago when it was only in shopping malls, how did we all live? Personally, I love A/C (I like it cold like LJ!), but I choose not to have it at home - instead I freeze hand towels in the freezer and use them to keep myself cool during the hottest days. I like to feel the four seasons.

You know the biggest problem in all this - build houses properly, and orient them properly on the block, and YOU WILL NEVER NEED HEATING OR COOLING. Thermally efficient architecture has been around for decades, and the principles are simple and effective in any climate.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but might there be some collusion between house designing/building companies, heating/cooling appliance companies and electricity/gas utilities? Build the houses so they need heating/cooling and everyone makes a lot more money in the long-run! I doubt that, I think it's just lax regulation of design standards, and no incentive in the market for house builders to get it right, but it makes you think...

desflood
09-01-2008, 09:38 PM
? I don't understand what you are trying to say. Your bill went down because you were out of state and thus not using electricity. Makes sense.
I'm trying to say that $240 is an outrageous bill for an energy-efficient home that wasn't even lived in for most of the month. Maybe I didn't go about saying it the right way :lol

Kori Ellis
09-01-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm amazed at how reliant the world has become on A/C. Sure, it's nice, but 15 years ago when it was only in shopping malls, how did we all live?

I've had central air in my house since I was a child. Was it uncommon then (30-something years ago)? Because everyone I know had it except a couple people had swamp coolers.

CuckingFunt
09-01-2008, 10:11 PM
I've had central air in my house since I was a child. Was it uncommon then (30-something years ago)? Because everyone I know had it except a couple people had swamp coolers.

Just depends on where you live. Central heat/air was becoming standard in homes as of the late 50s/early 60s, so if you've always lived in neighborhoods that age or newer it would probably be common for everyone on the block to have had an air conditioner. My parents have always gravitated toward older homes and older neighborhoods (and I've picked up the habit as an adult), however, so at age 30 I've never lived in a home with central air. Hell, I think I was 19 before I even lived in an apartment with a wall air conditioner.

Kori Ellis
09-01-2008, 11:18 PM
Just depends on where you live. Central heat/air was becoming standard in homes as of the late 50s/early 60s, so if you've always lived in neighborhoods that age or newer it would probably be common for everyone on the block to have had an air conditioner. My parents have always gravitated toward older homes and older neighborhoods (and I've picked up the habit as an adult), however, so at age 30 I've never lived in a home with central air. Hell, I think I was 19 before I even lived in an apartment with a wall air conditioner.

That makes sense. I rented one older house in L.A. that didn't have central air. Other than that, I think every apartment/house I've ever lived in has had it.

I just thought it was odd to say that A/C was only in shopping malls 15 years ago.

SpursWoman
09-02-2008, 05:54 AM

As far back as I can remember, we've always had it, too.

instead I freeze hand towels in the freezer and use them to keep myself cool during the hottest days. I like to feel the four seasons.

If all I had to worry about was my own comfort I'd walk around my house naked and eat cereal for dinner ... but we've all become too accoustomed to not waking up in pools of sweat. Because we only have 2 seasons here ... hot, and really fucking hot. :lol

JudynTX
09-02-2008, 08:19 AM

:lol I can attest to that. The couple of nights we spent the night (from being smashed @ the GTG) you froze our ass off. But my sweetie kept me warm. :hat

Melmart1
09-02-2008, 08:39 AM
I was born in 1976 and I don't remember a time without a/c. Some of the places we lived that were small had window units but most had central a/c. I can't imagine living in San Antonio without it. I know from experience that fans and opening windows just doesn't really work too well long-term. That's a good way to get heat stroke.

As for home builders and electric companies being in cahoots, I doubt that is the case. I think home builders just put shit up as quickly and cheaply as possible to make a buck and don't give a shit about things like thermal efficiency or even whether they are built properly. That's the problem of the person who buys it.

Bartleby
09-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I grew up in SA and we didn't have any AC in our house until I was in high school, but somehow I was used to it.

But to get back to the original question (sort of). I live in PA and my electric bill last month was for 477 KWH X $.034 for distribution charges and a $.046 generation charge. With eight cents in state tax surcharges added on, the total came out to $52.39.

Of course, that's offset by the fact that I'm going to get slammed this winter with the cost of heating oil being what it is.

Mark in Austin
09-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Something is seriously wrong if your bill was that high with you gone three weeks. I would recommend you hire somebody to come out and do a really good energy audit. With that kind of bill, it would be money well spent. Make sure you get and check references before you hire them - you don't want an amateur (or worse a fool) trying to provide this service to you. Some of the better auditors will be LEED certified - the card will say LEED AP after their name. Here's what they should definitely check for:

-Check for leaks in the A/C ductwork.
-Leaks or only partial cooling in/by the A/C unit - unit not functioning properly.
-Use a "smoke test" to check for leaks around doors, windows, and outlets.
-Confirm insulation is adequate.

I Love Me Some Me
09-02-2008, 12:13 PM
So I'm moving into a house that has duel AC units (one upstairs, one downstairs)...will that increase or decrease my energy bill?

nsrammstein
09-02-2008, 01:19 PM
My cousin's CPS bill was $589.95

Just switch over to TXU

CubanMustGo
09-02-2008, 04:53 PM
My cousin's CPS bill was $589.95

Just switch over to TXU

Yeah, then it'll be $800. :lmao

cool hand
09-02-2008, 07:14 PM
solar panels

CharlieMac
09-04-2008, 06:30 AM
You'd be suprised at how much the higher-ups at CPS travel to "conferences"

Mark in Austin
09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
So I'm moving into a house that has duel AC units (one upstairs, one downstairs)...will that increase or decrease my energy bill?

everything else being equal, it should decrease the bill compared to the same house with a larger single unit - the concept being that instead of having to run a huge unit that cools the entire house, you can set the thermostats differently - for instance, if you have a lot of guests over for a party and need the downstairs cooler to compnstae for all the extra body heat, doors opening all the time, etc; you can turn one thermostat down cooler while not having to blast arctic air upstairs at the same time.

It's impossible to say if your bill will be cheaper in the new house than your old house though. Differences in home sizes, number of windows facing the sun, amount of insulation, quality of construction, building orientation, SEER rating of the a/c units, etc between your old and new homes will all effect your bill.

Mark in Austin
09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
For those of you that are renters, here's a good summary of things you can do to reduce your bills too:

Ask Umbra - Make your appartment more energy efficient (http://grist.org/advice/ask/2008/09/10/?source=ask)

mrsmaalox
09-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Just paid my bill for August last night $360.97; down $70 from last month :cooldevil

Bigzax
09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
$150/month! :king

Whisky Dog
09-10-2008, 10:54 AM
my electricity here is through the city of Garland and it isn't bad at all considering how hot its been. Only averaging $150 the last couple of months (and I keep the AC cold at 68) and gets down to about $50 around December/January.

Whisky Dog
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Air conditioning is all about climate. Anywhere in Texas is a hot, hot climate where air conditioning has been a staple for a long time. I (28 now) grew up with it. My mom and dad (50's) love it now but didnt grow up with it until their teens. My grandparents on both sides didnt like air conditioning and didnt use it even though they live or lived in Texas their whole lives. Even to this day when I go visit my grandparents in Del Rio I take my own fan to position directly blowing at me so I can get even some sleep. Damn swamp coolers they use are brutal.

By contrast, when I was in South Bend, Indiana visiting Notre Dame the dorms didnt even have window units.

SpursWoman
07-23-2009, 09:11 AM
If you haven't gotten your CPS bill already, be prepared to see what them having 2 plants down and having to buy it elsewhere at a premium to keep up with the demand caused by a month of primarily 100+ degree temperatures and no rain can do.

Mine was $100 higher than it's ever been the entire time we've lived in our house. That sucked. :(

Bender
07-23-2009, 09:17 AM
my recent bill was $100 higher than the previous one, but not the highest ever for my current house.

CosmicCowboy
07-23-2009, 09:35 AM
$481.67

CubanMustGo
07-23-2009, 09:36 AM
So how much are you guys having to pay per kWh this month?

JoeChalupa
07-23-2009, 09:37 AM
$110 but that is only for electricity. We are on the budget thing.

howardcopy
07-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Yo, no doubt mine was $523, which is almost $300 more than usual. I even had my temp in house at 80 degrees. CPS bent me over, bumped me in the ass, and didn't even say thank you...Those bastards

CubanMustGo
07-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Yo, no doubt mine was $523, which is almost $300 more than usual. I even had my temp in house at 80 degrees. CPS bent me over, bumped me in the ass, and didn't even say thank you...Those bastards

Again, what is your per kWh cost? Or how many kWh did you use?

SpursStalker
07-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Mine only went up 30 bucks, but I know this month will be alot higher.

Ugggggg the price to pay to keep cool ...

:rolleyes

JoeChalupa
07-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Again, what is your per kWh cost? Or how many kWh did you use?

for the past 31 days we used 1550 KH's
Avg day use is 50.3
Avg cost per day is $5.27
Our bill was $163.33 with an adjustment of -$53.74 so we paid $109.59

Taco
07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
$481.67

Holy Sheep Shit!!! :wow

CubanMustGo
07-23-2009, 10:45 AM
for the past 31 days we used 1550 KH's
Avg day use is 50.3
Avg cost per day is $5.27
Our bill was $163.33 with an adjustment of -$53.74 so we paid $109.59

So, basically, ppl without budget billing are paying a little over 10 cents per kWh. Thanks. That means the person complaining about a $523 bill used close to 5,000 kWh; that's not CPS' fault. I haven't used 5,000 kWh year to date including this month's usage.

And even with the plants down, you're lucky; my bill for 1,440 kWh was $174 (PEC/Austin).

Wild Cobra
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM
So, basically, ppl without budget billing are paying a little over 10 cents per kWh. Thanks. That means the person complaining about a $523 bill used close to 5,000 kWh; that's not CPS' fault. I haven't used 5,000 kWh year to date including this month's usage.

And even with the plants down, you're lucky; my bill for 1,440 kWh was $174 (PEC/Austin).
No kidding. 10c per kWh is not exceptionally expensive. I haven't parsed my bill in a long time, just took the time to do so. For 861 kWh my bill was $91.54. Amounts to 10.63 cents per kWh. That's Oregon and PGE for you. Before taxes, offsets, and fees, the electricity itself is only $54.96, or 6.38 cents per kWh. We get charged 5.124 cents for the first 250 kWh then 6.899 cents for anything over 250 kWh.

How do you guys use so much electricity? You live in mansions, or poorly insulated places? It's been in the high 80's and 90's here. Sunday, it's suppose to break 100. I've been running the AC too keep it cool, and I'm all electric. No natural gas for the range, water heater, etc.

slacker77
07-23-2009, 11:53 AM
$236. up $105 from last months bill.

CubanMustGo
07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
How do you guys use so much electricity? You live in mansions, or poorly insulated places? It's been in the high 80's and 90's here. Sunday, it's suppose to break 100. I've been running the AC too keep it cool, and I'm all electric. No natural gas for the range, water heater, etc.

The *average* temperature the last 30 days in Austin was nearly 90 and we have been over 100 almost every day in that time. San Antonio has been about the same. The cloud cover during this span has been minimal so houses do bake, insulation or no. The tree cover in many newer neighborhoods is non-existent.

Wild Cobra
07-23-2009, 12:12 PM
The *average* temperature the last 30 days in Austin was nearly 90 and we have been over 100 almost every day in that time. San Antonio has been about the same. The cloud cover during this span has been minimal so houses do bake, insulation or no. The tree cover in many newer neighborhoods is non-existent.
So keeping your place at 80 shouldn't be much different than me keeping my place at 70. I have more humid air I think, so it takes more energy to cool.

It's just I use under 1000 kWh, and it looks like you guys are using at least 3000!

Shelly
07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Mine was $231.92 last month and I just paid $340.33 yesterday. And we were gone for a week during that time!

Jerks!

Drachen
07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
I take care of all the bills for my work and I just paid the CPS bill for a grand total of $6.10! I don't know if they didn't read the meter right or what, but we usually average about $200-$300 a month. If I don't report this to CPS do you think they will slap us with a double bill next month or something?

Check to see if you just got your deposit returned. I just opened my water bill (email) and it said that I had a 25 dollar credit on the account. I was checked to see if I accidentally double paid, but I hadn't so I called them and it was due to the return of my deposit. I was like SCORE! Then 2 minutes later I got my CPS bill $293. $50 higher than my previous highest bill and far above my average. I was like DOH!

I have no one to blame but myself. We went on vacation last month and I have one of those CPS programmable thermostats. I deleted the program and just set the temp at 83 (we have a cat, or I would have turned it off all the way). When I came back I never reprogrammed it so some days we would leave the ac running all day, etc. Don't doubt for a minute that I saw that bill and sprung into action immediately. We set it to be 77 when we wake up at about 6:30 am, then it goes up to 82 at 7:30 when we go to work, then at 5:30 it comes down to 77 (I get home at 6:15), and the last step is that it goes to 74 and the 2 fans in my bedroom come on at 11:30 (I have to be cold to sleep well)

PuttPutt
07-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I keep my thermostat set at constant 73. My bill was $90.95 for 1256kwh, but I live in WA State. If I had been living in SA, like we used to, for sure it'd be $400+. CPS rapes people. I expect my bill to be a bit higher next month. We've had near 100 temps for the last week & it'll be 95-105 the next 10-15 days.

Wild Cobra
07-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I keep my thermostat set at constant 73. My bill was $90.95 for 1256kwh, but I live in WA State. If I had been living in SA, like we used to, for sure it'd be $400+. CPS rapes people. I expect my bill to be a bit higher next month. We've had near 100 temps for the last week & it'll be 95-105 the next 10-15 days.
Keep in mind, any of the newer homes in the NW have a higher R value of insulation than places in the south. I really don't get it. Insulation works for hot weather as well as cold. Just because they don't go 3 months below freezing is no reason not to insulate well.

You know, the biggest problem with heat for well insulated houses are the windows. The can be good windows, but if strong sunlight is entering, it has the equivalent heating power of something like 1 k-watt per square meter. Outside awnings, to block direct sunlight works miracles. Well worth the investment to save on air conditioning costs.

CharlieMac
07-23-2009, 11:32 PM
My baby mamma has a kid from a previous marrriage. That guy is high up at CPS and let's just say that money is never an issue for that douche bag. He takes some nice vacations too. Did I say vacations? I meant monthly conferences.

Meanwhile my bill was 352 last month. And I work every single day and have the AC set at 82 while I'm gone.

Wild Cobra
07-23-2009, 11:45 PM
My baby mamma has a kid from a previous marrriage. That guy is high up at CPS and let's just say that money is never an issue for that douche bag. He takes some nice vacations too. Did I say vacations? I meant monthly conferences.

Meanwhile my bill was 352 last month. And I work every single day and have the AC set at 82 while I'm gone.
Hell, AC doesn't even cool my place much. Well insulated, no direct sunlight through the windows. I can save $10 by turning the AC off, but it might be 80 inside instead of 70. Before I installed AC, I would open the windows at night and close them in the morning. The insulation and blocking the direct sunlight took care of the rest.

Really... Awnings make a big difference. You don't want to solar heat your house through the windows in the summer.

From wiki: Awning (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awning):
Benefits

Retractable awnings let owners control the weather on their own terms. When passing showers threaten, or when the sun gets hot, they or the home automation system unroll the awning for near-instant protection and shade. Lab test measurements show that it can be as much as 20 degrees cooler under an awning’s canopy. Because awnings prevent the sun from shining through windows and sliding glass doors, they can keep temperatures inside cooler as well, which saves on air-conditioning costs. They can help prevent carpets and furniture from fading in sunlight. Awnings also provide a sheltered place for children and pets to play, shielded from direct sun.

baseline bum
07-24-2009, 12:31 AM
No kidding. 10c per kWh is not exceptionally expensive. I haven't parsed my bill in a long time, just took the time to do so. For 861 kWh my bill was $91.54. Amounts to 10.63 cents per kWh. That's Oregon and PGE for you. Before taxes, offsets, and fees, the electricity itself is only $54.96, or 6.38 cents per kWh. We get charged 5.124 cents for the first 250 kWh then 6.899 cents for anything over 250 kWh.

Perhaps it has something to do with San Antonio's average high temperature being 18 degrees higher than Portland's this month.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/monthly/USOR0275?from=dayDetails_topnav_outdoors
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/monthly/USTX1200?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

Wow, Portland has had 7 whole days in the 90s this month with 5 days the temperature didn't even reach 75, while San Antonio has had 5 in the 90s with the other 18 in the 100s. Quite the brain teaser that increased electric usage is.

baseline bum
07-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Actually, I should have used June instead of July for the comparison, since that's what the bills people are complaining about are from. Wow, Portland avg high = 74 (= SA avg low), SA avg high = 98. I guess it's all those awnings and shit that let you keep your place at 70 so effortlessly last month.

Wild Cobra
07-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Perhaps it has something to do with San Antonio's average high temperature being 18 degrees higher than Portland's this month.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/monthly/USOR0275?from=dayDetails_topnav_outdoors
http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/monthly/USTX1200?from=36hr_topnav_outdoors

Wow, Portland has had 7 whole days in the 90s this month with 5 days the temperature didn't even reach 75, while San Antonio has had 5 in the 90s with the other 18 in the 100s. Quite the brain teaser that increased electric usage is.
You forget, the official temperature is taken at the Portland Airport, at 18 ft. above sea level, right next to the Columbia river, where it is nearly a mile wide. It gets a bit warmer where I live, in SE Portland.

Google map, Portland International Airport (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=portland+international+airport&sll=45.598636,-122.578583&sspn=0.061615,0.123081&ie=UTF8&rq=1&radius=2.97&ll=45.597945,-122.570686&spn=0.061616,0.123081&t=h&z=13)

Wild Cobra
07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Actually, I should have used June instead of July for the comparison, since that's what the bills people are complaining about are from. Wow, Portland avg high = 74 (= SA avg low), SA avg high = 98. I guess it's all those awnings and shit that let you keep your place at 70 so effortlessly last month.
Trust me. It was much warmer than those reports make it sound where I live.

Wild Cobra
07-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Baseline, you don't know shit.

The site you linked has Portland being 75 F for a high yesterday. It was 89 F where I live. If the pattern carries, with the predicted 86 F, it will be 97 F!

You know what, it just might be. A local radio station that does their own predictions has it at 100+ F for Saturday and Sunday. Your link has it at 90 and 92.

Capt Bringdown
07-24-2009, 09:40 PM
I grew up in SA in air-conditioned comfort.

Now I live in Thailand where it's as hot, or maybe even hotter than Texas all year round.
No aircon.

My monthly utility bills are around 25-30 bucks a month. You can adjust if you try and are motivated with different priorities. It's not always pleasant, but you can adjust.
Multiple showers, fans and cooling powder is how it's done over here.

Last time I went visited home in Texas, my mom had the AC set to 75 and I was freezing and miserable!

iilluzioN
07-25-2009, 12:50 AM
We keep our AC on 78, Got great windows that block sunlight, good shielding roof, good fans in each room, and our bill is at 85 dollars,

Always have 1 PC turned on thru the day aswell.

House was build 5 years ago

METALMiKE
07-25-2009, 12:53 AM
I try to keep my AC off all the time, but when I'm not home my mom turns it down to 75. :lol

jimo2305
07-25-2009, 02:55 AM
lol man.. that bill's steep..

Trainwreck2100
07-25-2009, 02:59 AM
$22.30

Bender
07-25-2009, 02:42 PM
just got my new one yesterday. $390.

Highest bill ever, in the 13 years I've been in this house. It has been set on 79 all summer, but after this bill... I changed it to 80.

Wild Cobra
07-25-2009, 03:02 PM
just got my new one yesterday. $390.

Highest bill ever, in the 13 years I've been in this house. It has been set on 79 all summer, but after this bill... I changed it to 80.

If you have any direct sunlight coming into any windows, invest in awnings, as necessary. They will save you more than you may think. Possible pay for themselves before the years end.

The sun above the atmosphere has more than 1365 watts per meter of energy. About 1000 watts of that makes it through the atmosphere, and most of that through glass windows. If you have 4 square meters of area (perpendicular to the sun) of sunlight coming in, then the heat generated is like running a 3000 watt space heater.

sabar
07-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Cool, back to rocking $400 bills until winter.

Its 101 in the shade right now. This summer has been so brutal. The lowest it gets is 80 from around 11 PM to 7 AM, then it hits 95-103 really quick for the whole time the sun is out.

$400 bills with new energy-efficient A/C unit and all windows covered with solar screens. Makes me throw up a bit inside.

The solar screens are nice though. The master bathroom has a huge cheap skylight positioned to receive maximum solar output. Past summers the air temp in there would get up to 90. With the screens though its the same temp as the rest of the house.

The heat still puts a huge dent in energy costs. A/C is set to 84 for most of the day and 79 at night. Any lower and it runs all day, never shutting off. During winter it can actually be normal.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Cool, back to rocking $400 bills until winter.

Its 101 in the shade right now. This summer has been so brutal. The lowest it gets is 80 from around 11 PM to 7 AM, then it hits 95-103 really quick for the whole time the sun is out.

$400 bills with new energy-efficient A/C unit and all windows covered with solar screens. Makes me throw up a bit inside.

The solar screens are nice though. The master bathroom has a huge cheap skylight positioned to receive maximum solar output. Past summers the air temp in there would get up to 90. With the screens though its the same temp as the rest of the house.

The heat still puts a huge dent in energy costs. A/C is set to 84 for most of the day and 79 at night. Any lower and it runs all day, never shutting off. During winter it can actually be normal.

You live in San Antonio? Is your house huge? I'm just wondering why you bill is astronomical compared to ours. Our house isn't energy efficient at all and timvp keeps the A/C on 65 (yes!) or less.... our bill has been around $300.

sabar
07-25-2009, 06:06 PM
If you have any direct sunlight coming into any windows, invest in awnings, as necessary.

Homeowners association = no awnings

No major external changes at all actually. Everything has to get approved, even putting new shingles on the roof :rolleyes

Because of this did some revamping to the windows with solar shades (looks like black mesh, rooms will get really dark but a lot less heat, also very cheap cost). Attic was also ~130 ambient so replaced electric fan that never shuts off with some wind turbines and more soffit venting. Pretty much stays the same temperature as outdoors now. I was surprised how well the wind turbines work with there being little wind and tall oak trees everywhere, but they spin 24/7.

Also very cheap ways to keep cool are ceiling fans and floor fans. Their energy cost is magnitudes smaller than a running A/C at the cost of localized cooling and the air temp actually not changing. Running ceiling fans in each room keeps the temp equalized if your A/C vents are unbalanced in output.

If anyone has cheap cooling tips, post them :lol

sabar
07-25-2009, 06:11 PM
You live in San Antonio? Is your house huge? I'm just wondering why you bill is astronomical compared to ours. Our house isn't energy efficient at all and timvp keeps the A/C on 65 (yes!) or less.... our bill has been around $300.

NW side of San Antonio. House is ~20 years old and pretty inefficient. 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath, 2 story. The A/C condenser is a trane from who knows how many years back. Each room has a large window about 3.5x4 feet. Bathroom has a 4x3 skylight. Kitchen has one entire wall covered by glass.

I don't know why, but the house just is very inefficient. Can't punch holes in the wall to see how its insulated, so just live with it. The attic has sprayed gray insulation on the floor and no insulation on the rafters.

The energy bill is ALL A/C too. In the winter the A/C and heater run 0 hours a week and the bill is around $120.

IronMexican
07-25-2009, 06:13 PM
How long has it been hovering around 100 in SA? It feels like you guys were complaining about it for like 3 months now. That has to suck.

Kori Ellis
07-25-2009, 06:20 PM
NW side of San Antonio. House is ~20 years old and pretty inefficient. 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath, 2 story. The A/C condenser is a trane from who knows how many years back. Each room has a large window about 3.5x4 feet. Bathroom has a 4x3 skylight. Kitchen has one entire wall covered by glass.

I don't know why, but the house just is very inefficient. Can't punch holes in the wall to see how its insulated, so just live with it. The attic has sprayed gray insulation on the floor and no insulation on the rafters.

The energy bill is ALL A/C too. In the winter the A/C and heater run 0 hours a week and the bill is around $120.

Very similar to us. We are far NW side of San Antonio, 3 bed, 2 bath, 2 story. The house is about 12-13 years old. We have big bedroom windows too, but not that much glass (just sliding door) in kitchen.

Well good luck. I was just curious because we keep our air conditioning so much lower and we don't usually get over $360.

We are moving soon (to a much bigger house) so it will be interesting to see the difference there.

Bender
07-25-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm in a big 2-story, 2600sq ft. Ray Ellison house (yeah I know) from 1982. Since we have been here, we had a Trane XL-12 or 13 or whatever they are called installed. plus I have bought very expensive energy efficient windows for along the west facing side of the house (5 so far I think).

our bills now are as bad or worse than before I spent the above listed $8500+.

Wild Cobra
07-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Because of this did some revamping to the windows with solar shades (looks like black mesh, rooms will get really dark but a lot less heat, also very cheap cost).

If they go on the inside, they won't be very effective. They have to be outside to work. The surface will collect the heat. It is radiated as infrared. The Glass reflects IR, i.e. greenhouse effect! You have to stop the light before it passes through the glass.

Wild Cobra
07-25-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm in a big 2-story, 2600sq ft. Ray Ellison house (yeah I know) from 1982. Since we have been here, we had a Trane XL-12 or 13 or whatever they are called installed. plus I have bought very expensive energy efficient windows for along the west facing side of the house (5 so far I think).

Well, I'm not sure how other window types respond, but if they are krypton filled acrylic, that's great as an insulator. Great for winters where I live, but not for summers where you live. Glass windows will keep the UV spectrum out, where plastic will allow even more solar heating because it passes the UV band!

Wild Cobra
07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Bathroom has a 4x3 skylight. Kitchen has one entire wall covered by glass.

Well, that skylight is probably like having a 2500 watt heater running at noon. A wall of glass? Letting direct sunlight in? If so, that's a large source of heat!

byrontx
07-26-2009, 07:31 AM
I have two gauges; one in a sun-lit area and another in the shade (New Braunfels, near San Antonio). The one catching sun has been up to 111 and has averaged 106 the past month. The shaded one generally hits 98-99. If you live in South Texas in an urban environment (with the concrete and all) and sleep at night with the windows open you are a sadistic nut. You could drown in your own sweat. The averaging people are quoting is based on a 24 hr clock which is how they are getting it down to the low 90's. The nighttime temperture has been in the low to mid-80's. In this part of the country air conditioning is not a luxury, it is a life-support system.

My water bill is through the roof even complying with Stage 3 water restrictions and the drought is killing off non-native plants. I have a large Maple (think Lost Maples Park, I am just zone-pushing a bit also being in the hills). It doesn't look like it is going to make it. The plants and animals are suffering.

I do remember as a kid sleeping with an attic fan on but it was generally cooler then and did not have so much of a heat-sink effect from urban development. Even then my parents had a window-shaker.

antimvp
07-26-2009, 07:58 AM

maybe not but at over or near 100 degrees everyday.....the heat on your roof/attic maybe get closer to 130-150. making it impossible for your AC unit to turn off to get and stay at 65.

antimvp
07-26-2009, 08:02 AM

thats funny, I have an old GE unit that is 26 years old. my house freezes, I am afraid to get a new one becasue of what you mention and the people I know who buy these "new" systems seem to have trouble with them in 5-6 years.

I am going on 27years.

CubanMustGo
07-26-2009, 08:04 AM
My water bill is through the roof even complying with Stage 3 water restrictions and the drought is killing off non-native plants. I have a large Maple (think Lost Maples Park, I am just zone-pushing a bit also being in the hills). It doesn't look like it is going to make it. The plants and animals are suffering.

Funny, everything I've read about bigtooth maples (the type in Lost Maples) says they're supposedly ideal for this area and especially the hill country -- heat and drought tolerant.

antimvp
07-26-2009, 08:08 AM
my silver maple and red maple may not last too much longer.

spursfan1000
07-26-2009, 08:30 AM
lol damn that sucks.

MannyIsGod
07-26-2009, 10:17 AM
This summer is worse when you compare it to other summers because its been much hotter. This will probably end up as the hottest summer on record that San Antonio and much of the area will have experienced.

The real kicker is all the outside energy we've had to purchase due to the explosion at one of the plants. That has really sent the rates higher than normal. When you combine those two situations you have the astronomical bills.

MannyIsGod
07-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Funny, everything I've read about bigtooth maples (the type in Lost Maples) says they're supposedly ideal for this area and especially the hill country -- heat and drought tolerant.

What? That doesn't make any sense. The reason they've survived in Lost Maples is because the microclimates in those canyons. If they were perfect for this climate they would be all over the place and not isolated in those small areas.

exstatic
07-26-2009, 10:26 AM
What? That doesn't make any sense. The reason they've survived in Lost Maples is because the microclimates in those canyons. If they were perfect for this climate they would be all over the place and not isolated in those small areas.

Exactly. They were ice age survivors that live only in that canyon and one other near NM. If they were suited to grow here, they'd be EVERYWHERE.

CubanMustGo
07-26-2009, 03:35 PM

Listed in the City of Austin's Native and Adapted Landscape Plants (http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growgreen/plantguide/viewdetails.cfm?plant_id=28) guide.

Excerpt from January 2008 Texas Parks and Wildlife (http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2008/jan/ed_1/) magazine:

As a small, savvy group of Texas nurserymen are discovering, bigtooth maples, once established, are hardy, drought-tolerant, practically disease-free and moderately fast growers that add as much as three feet of growth annually. But it is the tree's autumn foliage, ablaze in hues of yellow, orange and red, that is making the bigtooth an increasingly popular landscaping choice in all but the coastal plains' salty environment.

One of those nurseries, Love Creek Nursery (http://www.lovecreekorchards.com/nursery.htm):

Lost Maples are native hardwood trees that will thrive not only in the rocky, alkaline soils of the Hill Country and Central Texas, but most other soils too. Many thousands of Lost Maples have been planted throughout the state in various soil types since we started growing them in 1982. They are virtually disease and insect free, and are not susceptible to Oak Wilt. With proper fertilization and care, they will grow rapidly at a rate of three to four feet a year and live for hundreds of years. It's great beauty and adaptability make it one of Texas' most desirable trees. It has very upright growth and durable wood, making it ideal for street plantings.

Davesgarden.com (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/60235/) reports successful growth in:
- Fort Worth, Texas
- Garland, Texas
- San Antonio, Texas (3 reports)
- Wimberley, Texas

MannyIsGod
07-26-2009, 05:12 PM
I guess the key phrase is "With proper fertilization and care".

CubanMustGo
07-26-2009, 05:28 PM
I guess the key phrase is "With proper fertilization and care".

True for most young plantings.

Wild Cobra
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Consider getting something like this:

Sun Setter Awning (http://www.sunsetter.com/?srccode=2447&srccode2=24229003)

They work great.

Das Texan
07-28-2009, 12:54 PM

They work great.

i can see that thing going flying across the yard in a big ole wind storm.

SpursWoman
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Fortunately, one of the plants that was shut down last month because of fire was opened back up on the 16th ... hopefully that will alleviate some of the pain from August's coming up bill, since the highs for at least the next week are STILL over one-freaking-hundred and no rain in sight.

:fro

Bender
07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
after my bill last week ($390), I moved the A/C setting from 79 to 80. I got unpopular pretty damn fast.

Had to move it back to 79 after a day and a half just to keep the peace.

Frenzy
07-28-2009, 02:01 PM
last months bill was 149.99 2 bed room apt. lol

Shelly
07-28-2009, 02:17 PM

They work great.

We have the motorized one and it worked great until right after the 5 year warranty period was up and the motor died. :bang

Get a good arm workout cranking that thing in when needed, though!

desflood
07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
after my bill last week ($390), I moved the A/C setting from 79 to 80. I got unpopular pretty damn fast.

I'm with you. Last month's bill jumped $100 higher than the month before. My old man bitched about how high it was - so I also set the thermostat up to 80. Then he started bitching about how hot he was :lol

I told him he could pick one or the other to bitch about, but he couldn't have both.

SpursWoman
07-28-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm with you. Last month's bill jumped $100 higher than the month before.

Mine was about $100 more, too ... so I did a little math and about $48 was attributed to the higher cost-per kWh, and $52 was attributed to increased usage.

*sigh*

Wild Cobra
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
We have the motorized one and it worked great until right after the 5 year warranty period was up and the motor died. :bang

Get a good arm workout cranking that thing in when needed, though!
Sorry to hear that. Check of the repair cost by chance? Any estimate of how much it saves you in cooling costs, by blocking the direct sunlight?

Bender
07-28-2009, 03:39 PM
I told him he could pick one or the other to bitch about, but he couldn't have both.
yepper. My wife is never happy... either she's too cold, or too hot, but never just right.

Shelly
07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry to hear that. Check of the repair cost by chance? Any estimate of how much it saves you in cooling costs, by blocking the direct sunlight?

We never repaired it. We just use the crank.

I don't think it saves us anything. My house faces directly north so I never really get direct sunlight for a long period of time. The awning mostly covers our kitchen area -- 2 windows and the back door (southern exposure) and we have lots of trees in our backyard, as do all my neighbors, so we get lots of shade anyway. One of the main reason we got it was so we didn't get rain leaking in our back door when we have torrential downpour.

We do have the largest one they have and did install it ourselves. That thing was a bitch to put up!

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Nobody can beat my bill, $1,009.83!!!!:depressed

Ridiculous!:wow:wow:wow:wow

And we have a radiant barrier roof and foam was just blown in our attic 2 months ago. Goddamn!

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 08:04 PM

:lol

Wild Cobra
07-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Nobody can beat my bill, $1,009.83!!!!:depressed

Ridiculous!:wow:wow:wow:wow

And we have a radiant barrier roof and foam was just blown in our attic 2 months ago. Goddamn!
How many plasma TV's you have running that the AC has to pump the heat out for?

EricB
07-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Just wait till cap and trade gets passed.

You aint seen nothin yet.

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 08:33 PM
How many plasma TV's you have running that the AC has to pump the heat out for?

We have 5 a/c units. 2 of them are set at 80 because we don't use them much. Our monster is a 17 seer, it's on 76 daytime until 71 from 4:30-5:00am. They are all 2007 units.

We have 5 plasmas but only 3 are running most days.

Maybe I should just turn the 2 a/c units off that we don't use.

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Just wait till cap and trade gets passed.

You aint seen nothin yet.

That is a one scary proposition. I hope the Senate doesn't pass it.

Shelly
07-29-2009, 08:46 PM
We have 5 a/c units. 2 of them are set at 80 because we don't use them much. Our monster is a 17 seer, it's on 76 daytime until 71 from 4:30-5:00am. They are all 2007 units.

Something tells me you live a huge house

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Something tells me you live a huge house

We started building in 2005 and finished in 2007. Are you familiar with San Antonio?

Shelly
07-29-2009, 09:41 PM
We started building in 2005 and finished in 2007. Are you familiar with San Antonio?

Ya--I live here!

RGMCSE
07-29-2009, 09:51 PM
I did not read the whole thread, but yeah it's fucking hot here in SA. 20 something days over a 100 in july alone. I read an article about how some parts in the country they were dealing with extreme temps in the 90's. LOL! Come down here and feel the fucking heat baby. Lets play 18 holes at high noon mothers!!! By the way I remember going to hoelscher elementry on the West side in the 80's with no AC. Anyone feel me?

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Ya--I live here!

I live in Greystone outside 1604 off of Blanco and Huebner. Sean Elliott, Malik Rose and Bruce Bowen live in the neighborhood. It's pretty cool.:toast

exstatic
07-29-2009, 10:09 PM

That's what's killing you. I only have one AC unit, but It's like 16-17 seer unit. I run 78 all day, and 76 while I'm sleeping. My bill was $227 this month, 1800 SF house with some solar screens.

Spursmania
07-29-2009, 10:15 PM
That's what's killing you. I only have on AC unit, but It's like 16-17 seer unit. I run 78 all day, and 76 while I'm sleeping. My bill was $227 this month, 1800 SF house with some solar screens.

So leave the monster at 78...and 76 while sleeping. I'm going to try that, but I don't know if I can sleep. Maybe I'll just get an extra standing fan and use it. :toast

exstatic
07-30-2009, 12:12 AM
So leave the monster at 78...and 76 while sleeping. I'm going to try that, but I don't know if I can sleep. Maybe I'll just get an extra standing fan and use it. :toast

Do you have ceiling fans? If so, make sure they're set to lift the (warm) air up, the summer setting. The way to tell is the lower edge of the angled blade should lead the rotation.

It might take some adjustment, but I feel nice and cool when I step out of 100+ into 78 when I get home, and have no problems sleeping at 76. Another tip: don't overdress inside. I usually change after work and run around in shorts and a t-shirt, bare feet most of the time.