PDA

View Full Version : What an active FRONT OFFICE we have

AC#21_TD ERA
07-18-2008, 08:56 AM
So is that who we've only signed so far, Roger fukin Mason. Geez thats going to fix our problems big time. Why haven't we signed up another FA yet? The decent FA are almost gone. Nealy every other team have been busy except for us. Is KT coming back or what? The only thing i see the pussy FO doin is re-signing Michael Finishedley and calling it an off season. Its time to consider making a trade. WHAT A DISASTER WERE FACING! :bang

nil.ball
07-18-2008, 09:08 AM
all i can say is L-O-L, you don't have any money. I mean even those 3rd string player avg less than 10ppg would want MLE.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Yet another cliff jumper.

:rolleyes

oligarchy
07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
http://www.wiltshirepct.nhs.uk/DentalService/NoSmokingDay/baby%20crying.jpg

VaSpursFan
07-18-2008, 09:20 AM
so...do you recommend that the spurs go public with their strategy? come on dude, i can assure that the spurs FO are not sitting around with their thumbs up their asses. just because you don't hear any noise, does not mean that the machine isn't working. the people that need to know, know what's going on, while the panicky fans flip out.

see the ledge? either jump or step back from it and enjoy life. you're worrying about something over which none of us have any control.

tlongII
07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
San Antonio's FO is not to blame for their lack of FA signings. They don't have cap space available. What they are to blame for is their glaring ineptitude during the draft.

K-State Spur
07-18-2008, 09:29 AM
Nealy every other team have been busy except for us.

Really? Everybody else has been so busy? The champs have signed...Patrick O'Bryant. The Lakers, Jazz, Nuggets, Cavs, Pistons, and the Suns haven't added anybody (save draft picks). The Rockets, Hornets, Heat added a whopping one player each. The Mavs used their entire MLE on Diop, wow.

...Yeah, everybody else has been so active...

Making points can be fun when you don't have to bother with research or being right!!! :)

oligarchy
07-18-2008, 09:32 AM
San Antonio's FO is not to blame for their lack of FA signings. They don't have cap space available. What they are to blame for is their glaring ineptitude during the draft.

That's rich coming from a Blazer fan. Can you look up the % of players that are just regular role players when being drafted from a end-of-the first round position, such as the Spurs have been drawing from this past decade? Now find the % of All-Stars from that same group. They've drafted better than the %, and the jury is still out on Ian, Hill, and the Splitter-affair isn't their fault.

K-State Spur
07-18-2008, 09:34 AM
That's rich coming from a Blazer fan. Can you look up the % of players that are just regular role players when being drafted from a end-of-the first round position, such as the Spurs have been drawing from this past decade? Now find the % of All-Stars from that same group. They've drafted better than the %, and the jury is still out on Ian, Hill, and the Splitter-affair isn't their fault.

Who cares about actual on-court results? The Blazers have 3 draft ranking championships in the past 6 years!

Buddy Holly
07-18-2008, 09:35 AM

Gist >> Batum

:wow

anakha
07-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Endless bitching

:rolleyes

Southwest Texas Fan
07-18-2008, 10:00 AM
First there are threads calling to replace Pop now this. I can't wait for the season to start.

jag
07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Michael Finishedley

ahh..i see what you did there.

WHAT A DISASTER WERE FACING!

:lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
So is that who we've only signed so far, Roger fukin Mason. Geez thats going to fix our problems big time. Why haven't we signed up another FA yet? The decent FA are almost gone. Nealy every other team have been busy except for us. Is KT coming back or what? The only thing i see the pussy FO doin is re-signing Michael Finishedley and calling it an off season. Its time to consider making a trade. WHAT A DISASTER WERE FACING! :bang

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/Mr_Bottomtooth/lulz.jpg

AZLouis
07-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Meanwhile the Suns got skunked by Barry (for a 2nd time) and Tyronne Lue.

jag
07-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Meanwhile the Suns got skunked by Barry (for a 2nd time) and Tyronne Lue.

At least you've got Shaq. :elephant

Mr. Body
07-18-2008, 10:40 AM
There wasn't much room to get much done. That's why getting the draft right was so important.

hsxvvd
07-18-2008, 10:45 AM
On a serious note, we do need to stop the bleeding in the front office, we've lost a lot of good talent in that department over the past 5 or so years.

Gino2882
07-18-2008, 10:54 AM
For those complaining, what would you have done differently? Maggette was out the price range.

Mason/Udoka are gonna replace Finley with excellent defense. Manu (is hopefully) healthy, and Tony has the summer off. I look for this team to be rested.

K-State Spur
07-18-2008, 11:02 AM
For those complaining, what would you have done differently? Maggette was out the price range.

Mason/Udoka are gonna replace Finley with excellent defense. Manu (is hopefully) healthy, and Tony has the summer off. I look for this team to be rested.

i actually agree with that (although I think Mason + Udoka are good defenders, but not excellent).

for all the panicking, while the spurs have certainly not made themselves the favorites for the title next year, I do see no reason why the team can't be somewhat improved over last year's edition.

cant w8 4 2012
07-18-2008, 11:03 AM
What the fuck is going on with Kurt Thomas? Behind the scenes shit or just won't be able to sign him?

Kindergarten Cop
07-18-2008, 11:09 AM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/Mr_Bottomtooth/lulz.jpg

:lmao:lmao:lmao

FromWayDowntown
07-18-2008, 11:36 AM
The Spurs FO should have really traded #26 for two picks in the 2nd, then traded the other two 2nd's for a better pick in the upper part of the 2nd, then traded the 3 high 2nd round picks for a crappy team's #1 next year, then bought a late first rounder with the $3M in tax receipts from last season, then traded next year's #1 and the Matt Bonner for two mid-to-late 2nd rounders and traded the banked #1 from the crappy team for a pick somewhere around #26 in the first round.

And really, the Spurs should have aggressively pursued the best available FA who might have been willing to take the MLE and offered that entire MLE to him as the very best offer that the Spurs could make.

If that failed, the Spurs should have thrown ridiculous contracts at restricted free agents who were going to be matched even though they aren't actually worth those contracts, just to be sure to make a big splash in free agency.

Then everyone could have at least been happy.

Brutalis
07-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Spurs are boring. Where's Scola?

VaSpursFan
07-18-2008, 11:39 AM
What the fuck is going on with Kurt Thomas? Behind the scenes shit or just won't be able to sign him?

it's called strategy. why make an offer to kurt when you don't know what his market value is. with no other offers on the horizon, the spurs would be bidding against themselves and if they offer is too low, they run the risk of pissing kurt off and giving another team an advantage when making their offer.

this is the correct strategy. wait and see what the market is willing to pay a 35 year old center.

VaSpursFan
07-18-2008, 11:41 AM
The Spurs FO should have really traded #26 for two picks in the 2nd, then traded the other two 2nd's for a better pick in the upper part of the 2nd, then traded the 3 high 2nd round picks for a crappy team's #1 next year, then bought a late first rounder with the $3M in tax receipts from last season, then traded next year's #1 and the Matt Bonner for two mid-to-late 2nd rounders and traded the banked #1 from the crappy team for a pick somewhere around #26 in the first round.

And really, the Spurs should have aggressively pursued the best available FA who might have been willing to take the MLE and offered that entire MLE to him as the very best offer that the Spurs could make.

If that failed, the Spurs should have thrown ridiculous contracts at restricted free agents who were going to be matched even though they aren't actually worth those contracts, just to be sure to make a big splash in free agency.

Then everyone could have at least been happy.

:lmao:lmao:lmao since we have friends in cleveland, spurs FO should have investigated a bonner+horry+finley trade for lebron :hat

GoGatos
07-18-2008, 12:07 PM

I have been told that the Lakers will be making KT an offer soon (my source said sometime early next week, which I take to mean sometime by the end of the day on Tuesday) and that the Spurs are waiting to see what LA offers and are planning to match or exceed it. The FO reallllly wants to keep KT and losing out on Splitter made KT even more important.

For whatever reason (I'm guessing it's because we've got no money to throw around this offseason), the Spurs have taken the approach of waiting to see what other teams offer the FA's that we've targeted. If it's out of our price range, we simply just talk to the player and/or his agent to express interest, but make it known that any offer we could potentially make is substantially less than TEAM A or B that is courting them as well. If they're still interested, they'll talk. If not, Spurs move on.

Think about it (and for purposes of this example, keep in mind that you're trying to get the item as cheap as possible, and so is everyone else): if you're bidding on an item on eBay, and that item has 6 days left, do you immediately put in your maximum bid with the hope that no one else is willing to pay more? Not if you want a realllly good deal (and the Spurs are notoriously cheap). Instead, you watch that item and track its bidding. If the price is in your wheelhouse, you wait until just before the auction ends and "snipe" it.

Now, granted, the Spurs aren't exactly waiting until the last second on some of these FA's... but they are watching the bidding closely and we all know the Spurs are NOT going to sign a player unless he fits into their "business model."

Not saying I agree with the "business model," but it's brought us 4 titles. However, I think at some point that "business model" may actually do more harm than good.

cant w8 4 2012
07-18-2008, 01:25 PM

SpursFanInAustin
07-18-2008, 01:40 PM
it's called strategy. why make an offer to kurt when you don't know what his market value is. with no other offers on the horizon, the spurs would be bidding against themselves and if they offer is too low, they run the risk of pissing kurt off and giving another team an advantage when making their offer.

this is the correct strategy. wait and see what the market is willing to pay a 35 year old center.

I think if any team offers Kurt Thomas a 2 year deal, the Spurs will match it and if it's 3 years, they might just let him walk (which would suck cause we'd have to use our remaining MLE money to find another big).

DPG21920
07-18-2008, 01:44 PM
I think if any team offers Kurt Thomas a 2 year deal, the Spurs will match it and if it's 3 years, they might just let him walk (which would suck cause we'd have to use our remaining MLE money to find another big).

I do not think they let him walk, I think they up the money for a 2 year deal, just like they probably did for Mason.

SpursChampsIII
07-18-2008, 03:01 PM

Tool. :loser

honestfool84
07-18-2008, 04:11 PM
what an asshole the OP is.

WildcardManu
07-18-2008, 04:28 PM
what an asshole the OP is.

He's just another tool in the shed.

Spurtacus
07-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Fucktards like the OP shouldn't be a Spurs fan.

People say we are old. No more international players. So we go out and draft Hill, Hairston, and Gist. Mahinmi is coming in. And yet people like you are STILL unhappy. If this was fucking baseball I'm sure we could have signed Maggette, JR Smith, and Artest.

FromWayDowntown
07-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Do I wish the Spurs had been able to do more this summer, like signing Maggette or something like that? Sure. Do I think that the summer is an abject failure because the Spurs lost out in that pursuit? Hell no.

I can understand the concerns that the Spurs needed to fill holes and the concerns that they might not have accomplished that, but we're an awfully long way away from being able to say conclusively that the Spurs have failed or that the window has shut. George Hill may not be a player; but then again, maybe he's better when he's surrounded with better teammates. Maybe Roger Mason isn't the best available free agent on the market, but maybe he's a guy who will gladly accept a role and do well enough with the big things and not screw up the little things that must be done to win basketball games. Maybe there's another free agent out there who comes in and fills in as an extra big -- or maybe James Gist proves to be that guy.

My point is that we just don't know -- though I think it's reasonable to assume that this front office will find solutions, because they always have found serviceable parts to fill the roster.

For those who want flashy moves and crazy transactions to acquire future picks and things like that, I'm not sure this is a good place to be for the next 3-4 years. We've got 3 years of trying to squeeze out another title or two, with little thought to life beyond 2011-12. After that season, I suspect the Spurs will be a front office that wheels and deals and does all the sorts of flashy things that get wannabe GM's excited.

rj215
07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
The Spurs FO doesn't panic and it got us 4 Championships...other teams like the Mavs and Suns do and it's gotten them nowhere....I do think that they could've traded down in the draft and have gotten G. Hill plus a few more pieces but Gist looks like a steal early on....let's not panic in July '08 especially if the moves we've made so far get us a ring in June '09...

Marcus Bryant
07-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I hate Spurs fans.

T Park
07-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I hate Spurs fans.

About time for that vacation aint it? :lol

wisnub
07-18-2008, 05:49 PM
all i can say is L-O-L, you don't have any money. I mean even those 3rd string player avg less than 10ppg would want MLE.

Damn..we are so poor. Why would we pay Horry $3 mill for such crappy performance. Look what Shotless Rob done to our salary cap. We might add player from mainland China, I heard the pay is preety cheap up there :toast

wisnub
07-18-2008, 05:52 PM
By the way, any of u guys in this forum knows what happened to Horry, Finishless Fin, and KT? I mean are we releasing all of these guys or what? And please Horry, retirement is up in the air, u might as well save us salary cap and sign for AARP price.

Got no news whatsoever...I could care less for Mighty Mouse he might find new job in Cartoon Network.

wisnub
07-18-2008, 05:54 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao since we have friends in cleveland, spurs FO should have investigated a bonner+horry+finley trade for lebron :hat

I hope miracle exist in this world..BOO YAA my ESPN 2K9 got Lebron on Spurs roster :flag:

duncan228
07-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I hate Spurs fans.

That should replace "Pimp" as your title until we get through this. :lol

Taking it to the Hole
07-18-2008, 07:22 PM
You know DISASTERS can be fun?

itzsoweezee
07-18-2008, 09:17 PM
they're fucking awful. but a large part of it has to do with the fact that the owner is a cheap fucking piece of shit bastard.

Dex
07-19-2008, 02:15 AM
Spurs have already drafted three prospects, signed a new wing, dispatched an old guard, and been in the running for one of the biggest free agents on the market...and it's not even August yet. It's not like we have gobs of money to spend, either.

Where have you people been the LAST five offseasons?

AC#21_TD ERA
07-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Spurs have already drafted three prospects, signed a new wing, dispatched an old guard, and been in the running for one of the biggest free agents on the market...and it's not even August yet. It's not like we have gobs of money to spend, either.

Where have you people been the LAST five offseasons?

Those 3 draft prospects aren't going to help us win a championship next season. Experience is the Teacher. They were in the runnng for one gun FA Magette thats it. The Spurs plan all along was if we cant get CM then will sign Mason and bring back Finishedley. The money issue i understand but at the same time they are a bunch of tight asses. They want to have the similar dog gone team. The Spurs FO got to understand this team is too old and the competiton gets extremely better each season and that they must keep up with them. Signing Mason isn't going to cut it.

anakha
07-19-2008, 02:38 AM
Those 3 draft prospects aren't going to help us win a championship next season. Experience is the Teacher. They were in the runnng for one gun FA Magette thats it. The Spurs plan all along was if we cant get CM then will sign Mason and bring back Finishedley. The money issue i understand but at the same time they are a bunch of tight asses. They want to have the similar dog gone team. The Spurs FO got to understand this team is too old and the competiton gets extremely better each season and that they must keep up with them. Signing Mason isn't going to cut it.

Just like JR Smith was supposed to be the answer?

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101485&page=2

:lmao

wijayas
07-19-2008, 07:25 AM

Did you see Spurs vs. Jazz Summer League game today? Will it change your unhealthy biased towards the FO? I hope it does! :flag: :flag:

AC#21_TD ERA
07-20-2008, 02:59 AM
Did you see Spurs vs. Jazz Summer League game today? Will it change your unhealthy biased towards the FO? I hope it does! :flag: :flag:

Nah I didn’t see it. But it’s only the summer league anyway. Its a bunch of rookies and D Leaguers getting their time in the sun. I would even DOMINATE and make the summer league look good. Lets see how they good perform on the big stage. Thats all that matters. THE SPURS F.O. STILL FUKIN STINKS!

Buddy Holly
07-20-2008, 03:04 AM
I now know what AC stands for in your name.

Academically Challenged.

anakha
07-20-2008, 08:12 AM
Nah I didn’t see it. But it’s only the summer league anyway. Its a bunch of rookies and D Leaguers getting their time in the sun. I would even DOMINATE and make the summer league look good. Lets see how they good perform on the big stage. Thats all that matters. THE SPURS F.O. STILL FUKIN STINKS!

:lmao at your lame sig change.

JamStone
07-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Most playoff teams haven't made many moves other than re-signing their own players. The teams that have been making moves are the lottery teams that have a lot of cap space.

K-State Spur
07-20-2008, 11:51 AM

Nealy every other team have been busy except for us.

Still curious as to what all these others really active teams are? (certainly it's not the Mavs, Lakers, Suns, Celtics, Pistons, Rockets, Jazz, Cavs, Hornets, etc)

You basically got owned on that point.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 12:00 PM

So what part of Mason, Gist, Gill, and Ian don't you understand, dumbass?

And how does a team find 'young experience'?

You spursreport kids are dumb.

Josepatches
07-20-2008, 05:09 PM

Parker+bonner+finley trade for Lebron.That would be perfect.

T Park
07-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Christ, Spursreport, Take back your fucking red headed step children please you fucks.

VaSpursFan
07-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Christ, Spursreport, Take back your fucking red headed step children please you fucks.

+1...those SR kids just don't understand Spurs basketball at all

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 06:10 PM
+1...those SR kids just don't understand Spurs basketball at all

Everything they know about the Spurs they learned from Crusty Garza...

:lol

Spurtacus
07-20-2008, 06:39 PM
I'm glad I found this site first. Never been to spursreport. :lol

T Park
07-20-2008, 06:42 PM

I would have alot better basketball takes if I hadn't started out over there.

"The secret weapon.... DERRICK DIAL!!!"

Sigh....

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 07:18 PM

Lucky for you. It's the short bus of Spurs fan sites.

SPURSGOAT
07-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Nah I didn’t see it. But it’s only the summer league anyway. Its a bunch of rookies and D Leaguers getting their time in the sun. I would even DOMINATE and make the summer league look good.

You would even dominate!? Give me a fucking break already retard. The only thing you would be dominating would be bringing towels to them and cleaning their jockstraps. Any one of those guys would run circles around your pathetic armchair GM ass!

Spurtacus
07-21-2008, 01:10 AM
I wonder if the FO offered Barnes anything.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:12 AM
I doubt it. More and more it seems like they like Gist. If that is true I am so happy because we have forever needed a 6'9 player that can play the 3. That would be spectacular.

Spurtacus
07-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm all for the Gist train...guess we will have to wait and see.

AC#21_TD ERA
07-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Still curious as to what all these others really active teams are? (certainly it's not the Mavs, Lakers, Suns, Celtics, Pistons, Rockets, Jazz, Cavs, Hornets, etc)

You basically got owned on that point.

What im trying to say the Spurs have made one move besides the draft and that was Mason.

Here's the link for the other teams transactions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=PlayerMovement-2008-09

K-State Spur
07-21-2008, 03:26 AM
What im trying to say the Spurs have made one move besides the draft and that was Mason.

Here's the link for the other teams transactions.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=PlayerMovement-2008-09

It takes a special person to say "nealy [sic] every other team have [sic] been busy except us" and then post a link that proves otherwise.

anakha
07-21-2008, 03:28 AM
It takes a special person to say "nealy [sic] every other team have [sic] been busy except us" and then post a link that proves otherwise.

Let him be. The guy's basically been owning himself the past few days. :lol