PDA

View Full Version : A Look Back and Where Are They Now?

Solid D
07-18-2008, 11:46 AM
With all the talk about how bad George Hill's numbers look in the Summer League, it is always interesting to reflect on some previous performances of players in Summer Leagues past. I remembered how a certain Boris Diaw of the ATL Hawks, who tried to play some PG back then, had a less-than-stellar performance in SL so I went back and pulled out the 2005 Rocky Mountain Revue statistics.

When you see George Hill averaging 8 ppg, 7 rpg and 3 apg with a +5 eff and you then see that Boris Diaw had a 7.7 ppg, 4 rpg and 2.5 apg average, it puts things into perspective. Take Summer League with a grain of salt.

Here is the link:
http://www.nba.com/media/jazz/teamstats_05_final.pdf

Solid D
07-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Deron Williams averaged 23 minutes and a put up 9.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 3.7 apg

VaSpursFan
07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
the summer league means everything. i mean if you can't play in these pick-up like games, you just have no talent. the sky is falling and the spurs FO sucks. where the ledge, i'm gonna jump!!!

seriously, summer league games have no offensive structure. very helter skelter so it's hard to evaluate what a person brings to the team. according to your link, j.smith averaged 11.5 points and salim stoudamire averaged 16.5. last season stoudamire averaged 5.7 ppg while smith averaged 17.2. based on summer leage results, many on this board would think that stoudamire is the better player. crazy i tell ya...

FromWayDowntown
07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
And of course, we all should have known that Devin Harris couldn't play at all when he totaled 3 assists in 4 games during that Rocky Mountain Revue -- no way he'd ever play meaningful minutes in the Finals or be the focal point of a trade to acquire a Hall of Famer.

Solid D
07-18-2008, 03:51 PM
And of course, we all should have known that Devin Harris couldn't play at all when he totaled 3 assists in 4 games during that Rocky Mountain Revue -- no way he'd ever play meaningful minutes in the Finals or be the focal point of a trade to acquire a Hall of Famer.

:lol ...and Mateen Cleaves and Alex Scales were better than all those guards.

xtremesteven33
07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
summer league i dont think really means so much. i think it just shows a players way of playing or style but does not show potential at all.

bigdog
07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Summer league means nothing. Players aren't going to play the same way they would as if they were playing with the actual Spurs team.

Hill is playing with free agents and other draft picks. It's not like he's passing to Duncan, Ginobili, or Bowen in the corner. He's passing to scrubs and draft picks. Remember, great players(Duncan) and good players(Ginobili and Parker) make other guys look good, so if Hill was playing alondside those guys, he would most likely look much better than he does now.

I am impressed with Gist, however, whether he's playing with scrubs or not, he's playing pretty good.

T Park
07-18-2008, 04:23 PM
:lol

The logical shots from FWD and SolidD, always crippling and hurting the ledge jumpers and the love to worry clan.

picnroll
07-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Deron Williams averaged 23 minutes and a put up 9.3 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 3.7 apg

Williams sucks.
Signed Mr Body

FromWayDowntown
07-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Williams sucks.
Signed Mr Body

Pssh. You forgot that the Jazz asked Williams to play the game without using his thumbs that summer.

rj215
07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I think when Pop said he thought G. Hill could and will help right away it was a blessing in disguise because that could force him to actually play Hill solid minutes rather than burying him on the bench or sending him to the Toros...or keeping him overseas if he was a foreign player...I can see Hill getting better during the RMR as he gets used to the system...

timvp
07-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Rajon Rondo's stats last year in the Vegas summer league give me the most hope. Rondo was horrible. Nine points, four rebounds, three turnovers and one assist per game. Hill at least rebounded well and didn't struggle too much with turnovers ... plus he averaged more than one assist per game.

On the other side of the coin, if you want to look at Hill's performance in a negative light, you have to look at the last player the Spurs drafted from a modern-day Summit League team -- the one and only Greg Sutton. Sutton led the earth in scoring his final two years at Oral Roberts, averaging something like 30 points as a junior and 35 points as a senior. He also happened to be 6-foot-2 and was touted as a scoring combo guard who could also play point guard. During summer league, Sutton couldn't score. That carried over into the regular season where his shooting percentages stayed low. Spurs fans at the time pointed to Sutton's scoring at the college level as proof he could eventually figure it out in the NBA . . . but it never happened.

So yeah, taking a look back, my hope is that Hill can go the way of Rondo and not go the way of Sutton. While Hill's similarities to Sutton are uncanny, he also has some of Rondo in him in that he's a good athlete that can defend and rebound. We'll see what happens. The next time the Spurs have a rookie that struggles in summer league, hopefully we can all say "who cares if Alexis Wangmene sucked in summer league, George Hill sucked and look how he turned out".

:smokin

SPURSGOAT
07-18-2008, 06:00 PM
...I can see Hill getting better during the RMR as he gets used to the system...

Too bad we won't be able to watch any of the RMR action... :depressed

tp2021
07-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Too bad we won't be able to watch any of the RMR action... :depressed

Go to the Summer league Game 5 thread...Timvp posted a direct link to this game.

my2sons
07-18-2008, 10:19 PM
the summer league means everything. i mean if you can't play in these pick-up like games, you just have no talent. the sky is falling and the spurs FO sucks. where the ledge, i'm gonna jump!!!

seriously, summer league games have no offensive structure. very helter skelter so it's hard to evaluate what a person brings to the team. according to your link, j.smith averaged 11.5 points and salim stoudamire averaged 16.5. last season stoudamire averaged 5.7 ppg while smith averaged 17.2. based on summer leage results, many on this board would think that stoudamire is the better player. crazy i tell ya...

Do you have any idea what the coaches are asking a player to do...maybe they are stressing a specific repetitive task to improve a weakness, or the player may be asked to work solely on a weak portion of his game, possible they are stressing defense, but of course if a player looks bad in these pick up games they must suck royally

ShoogarBear
07-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Cherry picking is cherry picking. For every good player who had poor Summer League stats, there are orders of magnitude more players who sucked in Summer League because, well, they sucked.