PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Rose's starring role puts Popovich among stars

Kori Ellis
02-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Rose's starring role puts Popovich among stars
Web Posted: 02/04/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020405.1C.BKNspurs.lakers.gamer.73365c5f.html

LOS ANGELES — In a little more than two weeks, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will wade through smoke and strobe lights and find himself at center court in Denver's Pepsi Center.

OutKast will be blaring over the sound system. P. Diddy and Paris Hilton will be sitting courtside.

And if Popovich wonders just how in the name of James Naismith he got there, he can thank none other than Malik Rose. :lol

Pulled off the end of bench for the first time in three games, Rose delivered 19 points and 11 rebounds, both season highs, to lead the Spurs past the Los Angeles Lakers 103-91 Thursday night and send Popovich to his first All-Star Game.

Misery supposedly loves company, so Tim Duncan will join his coach in Denver on Feb. 20. Provided he's healthy to go.

Duncan, named earlier in the day as a starter for the West's All-Star team, hyperextended his left knee in the second quarter. He had surgery on the same knee in 2000 to repair a cartilage tear and re-injured it last season, but his latest injury is not thought to be serious.

"I feel pretty good," Duncan said after the game. "It'll be all right."

Duncan returned to start the second half. He finished with 17 points and five rebounds before Popovich held him out of the final quarter, a decision that made the evening a little more interesting than either would have liked.

After the Spurs opened an 89-61 lead, the Lakers ran off 18 unanswered points. Having already suffered one unforgettable meltdown on TNT this season when Houston's Tracy McGrady scored 13 points in 35 seconds, the Spurs steadied themselves, this time, long enough to win their fourth consecutive game.

Duncan had asked to go back in, but Popovich resisted, thinking his knee had cooled down too much.

"He was trying to throw the game," Duncan said, laughing.

Rose had not played in a week, having been banished to the end of the bench after he threw a pass into the stands and pulled his jersey over his face long enough for Sacramento's Darius Songaila to coast downcourt for a layup.

"Tonight I needed to prove to myself I could still play," Rose said.

He did that and more, making six of his 10 shots and all seven of his free throws.

Rose and the rest of the Spurs had spent the previous two days in Los Angeles relaxing and watching the latest installment of As the Lakers Turn. By the time Rudy Tomjanovich announced Wednesday he was stepping down as Lakers coach, team executives already were contemplating trying to woo back Phil Jackson.

"I think (Jackson's) over in Australia, laughing and smiling and having a good old time," said Frank Hamblen, who has gone from being Jackson's assistant to Tomjanovich's assistant to Lakers interim coach in less than eight months. "I'm wishing he'd fly back tomorrow and take (the job.)"

In the meantime, Hamblen would like to regain the services of Kobe Bryant, whose sprained right ankle forced him to miss his 10th consecutive game.

Not since April 18, 1996, when Bryant was still a month from graduating from Pennsylvania's Lower Merion High School and Shaquille O'Neal still was playing in Orlando, had the Spurs faced the Lakers without either of their longtime nemeses on the floor.

"We can't worry about that," said Tony Parker, who led the Spurs with 22 points. "We have to worry about ourselves."

It wasn't long before Duncan gave the Spurs plenty to worry about. After he fouled forward Caron Butler under the basket, Butler stumbled and fell backward onto Duncan's left knee.

Duncan, already suffering from a nagging hip injury, collapsed and immediately grabbed his knee. He remained on the court for a couple of minutes before walking to the locker room without help. He returned to the bench a little less than three minutes later but sat out the remainder of the quarter.

The Spurs led 43-40 when Duncan returned to start the second half. Thanks to his nine points and five rebounds in the third quarter, the Spurs' advantage ballooned to 28.

As Duncan walked off the court, a small part of the Staples Center crowd started chanting, "We want Phil! We want Phil!"

For now, the Lakers and their fans will have to wait before they learn whether Jackson will return. In the meantime, they watched the NBA's newest All-Star coach.

"I know Pop's not too happy about it," Duncan said, "but it's still an honor."

Kori Ellis
02-04-2005, 02:29 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan once again selected as All-Star

Johnny Ludden

LOS ANGELES — Tim Duncan, who finished sixth among all players in fan balloting, was named Thursday as an All-Star starter for the sixth consecutive year.

Houston's Yao Ming, the overall vote leader (2,558,278), and Tracy McGrady, the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant and Minnesota's Kevin Garnett joined Duncan as West starters.

Duncan, who received 1,812,522 votes, will be playing in his seventh All-Star Game. He was co-MVP in 2000.

Miami's Shaquille O'Neal, Cleveland's LeBron James, Philadelphia's Allen Iverson, New Jersey's Vince Carter and Orlando's Grant Hill will start for the East.

The All-Star reserves will be announced Tuesday, leaving Spurs guards Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker five days to wonder whether they'll be joining Duncan in Denver.

The league's head coaches vote for seven players from their respective conferences. They can't vote for players on their own team and must select two guards, two forwards, a center and two at-large players.

Speaking from experience: Robert Horry played four seasons for Rudy Tomjanovich in Houston. He also spent parts of seven seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Knowing both the coach and the franchise, Horry still was surprised to hear about Tomjanovich's resignation.

"It had to be something really serious to make him step down," Horry said. "He's not like that."

Horry will be even more surprised if another of his former coaches, Phil Jackson, returns to the Lakers. Especially after Jackson criticized Bryant in his recent book, "The Last Season: A Team in Search of Its Soul."

"It would be like me trying to go back and play in Phoenix again," said Horry, who, among other things, threw a towel in the face of coach Danny Ainge during his half-season with the Suns. "When you burn a bridge like that, you might say, 'Let bygones be bygones,' but I still think there's going to be that underlying (tension) there. Someone's always going to remember what you said about them."

Nesterovic on the mend: Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he is hopeful Rasho Nesterovic will be able to play Tuesday against Charlotte.

Nesterovic still is experiencing some soreness in his ankle. His lateral movement is good in one direction, but not the other, Popovich said.

"We thought the four days off would do him some good, rather than him trying to force it (Thursday)," Popovich said.

Still waiting: Karl Malone's agent had hoped to have a firm decision on Malone's future in a week. That week is now at 11 days and counting.

Spurs officials, who think Malone is leaning toward retiring, haven't pressed him for a decision. But Popovich said the team can't wait forever, either.

"I think that (cutoff date) is getting close, probably," Popovich said. "I can't imagine it being too far past the All-Star break."

The Spurs will have only 30 games remaining after the All-Star break.

"We'd like to have him," Popovich said. "He's a leader and he's got the whole package."

Give them a break: The Spurs, who flew home after Thursday's game, likely will take today off. Their tentative plan is to have a shooting-only workout Saturday, a hard practice Sunday and a light practice Monday morning before flying to Charlotte on Monday afternoon.

SpursWoman
02-04-2005, 02:34 AM
And if Popovich wonders just how in the name of James Naismith he got there, he can thank none other than Malik Rose.

He'll never get out of the dog house now...no matter how well he played. :lol

Duncan had asked to go back in, but Popovich resisted, thinking his knee had cooled down too much.

Poor Pop. :lmao :lmao

timvp
02-04-2005, 02:38 AM
Malik got revenge for three seasons of benching.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-04-2005, 02:39 AM
And if Popovich wonders just how in the name of James Naismith he got there, he can thank none other than Malik Rose.

:lmao

Back to the dog house Malik!

milkyway21
02-04-2005, 02:41 AM

Johnny Ludden

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020405.1C.BKNspurs.lakers.gamer.73365c5f.html

:lol :lol :lol

mattyc
02-04-2005, 02:50 AM
"I think (Jackson's) over in Australia, laughing and smiling and having a good old time," said Frank Hamblen, who has gone from being Jackson's assistant to Tomjanovich's assistant to Lakers interim coach in less than eight months. "I'm wishing he'd fly back tomorrow and take (the job.)"

http://www.sebastian-stein.de/oz/pix/beer_brands_vb.jpghttp://www.bloggerheads.com/images/vegemite.jpg

:lol :drunk

GoSpurs21
02-04-2005, 03:17 AM
I think Malik played his way out of Pops dog house tonight.
The real question is Did Barry play his way into Pops dog house?

nzkickass
02-04-2005, 06:51 AM
yes

Dex
02-04-2005, 07:53 AM
I think Malik played his way out of Pops <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=dog%20house" onmouseover="window.status='dog house'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">dog house</a> tonight.
The real question is Did Barry play his way into Pops dog house?

Why? Because he went 1-5 from behind the line? 3-7 from the field?

Nobody ever seems to care when Bruce does it, and he's a starter.

Sure, Brent's passes got a little sloppy and he didn't really do much that would be considered clutch, but still, give the guy a break. You can't expect him to step up every single night now. Poor guy gets chastised if he's not taking at least 5 threes a game and making 3 of them.

TDMVPDPOY
02-04-2005, 08:38 AM
pop's properly kickin himself for lettin rose play last nite hahaha

violentkitten
02-04-2005, 02:32 PM
vegemite is that like dolemite?

Rummpd
02-04-2005, 02:49 PM
This win margin was just what I predicted but what a strange game and perhaps the scariest ever for a Spur's fan to watch.

I could not believe when Duncan pulled a Willis Reed and came back in (ok maybe thats a stretch) but him and Pop took a chance and he was dominant.

Great all around win over a gutty Laker franchise that even with Kobe could not beat this team.

Hook Dem
02-04-2005, 02:56 PM
http://tinypic.com/1jki6b

Spurgal
02-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Malik got revenge for three seasons of benching.

Pay back Is a BIG B*tch! :lol

milkyway21
02-04-2005, 10:03 PM

and send Popovich to his first All-Star Game.

Duncan: I've been there a couple of times. I know that to expect.Pops is a ROOKIE in that respect :lol

boutons
02-04-2005, 10:58 PM
"Malik got revenge for three seasons of benching."

3? The Malik Soap Opera started in 03/04. I don't remember any episodes in 02/03.

timvp
02-04-2005, 11:12 PM
It all started in 02/03. There was a part of the season when Rose was only getting garbage minutes. Then late in the year he started playing well and filled in for Robinson and played great. But yeah, his introduction to the doghouse came that year.