PDA

View Full Version : WOAI Radio Question ...

Kori Ellis
07-19-2008, 01:36 AM
Since the WOAI/Ticket 760 crew hang out here sometimes, I will throw this out there ...

I heard from three different people today that there's a rumor that WOAI Radio lost the Spurs broadcasts.

Any truth to it?

T Park
07-19-2008, 01:47 AM
O rly.......

Jay Howard, calling jay howard!!! :elephant

Kori Ellis
07-19-2008, 01:48 AM
It's just a rumor, but three people told me the rumor on the same day. So ... who knows.

T Park
07-19-2008, 01:49 AM
Rumor shmoomar, damnt Im hoping here!! :lol

GoGatos.
07-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Are you sure RC didn't accidentally trade them away? :lmao

Nbadan
07-19-2008, 02:37 AM
I'm not sure about the WOAI situation, but I know that the parent company of KTSA has a new partnership with the Spurs to make stations in the valley Spurs flag stations...either way, I have advocated moving the Spurs broadcasts to the ticket 760 where it is a more natural fit than the 24-7 FAUX News echo-chamber OAI has become....

ShoogarBear
07-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Are you sure RC didn't accidentally trade them away? :lmao

Yeah, WOAI will be broadcasting Rockets games now.

07-19-2008, 07:04 AM
I heard yesterday on Alexander's the tail end of an announcement that BMP radio is an official sponsor of the Spurs.

KEDA
07-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah, BMP is an official sponsor of the Spurs, as far as broadcasting games, I haven't heard anything like that, although it would be pretty cool.

PEP
07-19-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm not sure about the WOAI situation, but I know that the parent company of KTSA has a new partnership with the Spurs to make stations in the valley Spurs flag stations...either way, I have advocated moving the Spurs broadcasts to the ticket 760 where it is a more natural fit than the 24-7 FAUX News echo-chamber OAI has become....

:lol and I thought bufoon was bad.

exstatic
07-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Wouldn't shock me. They seem to be doing a complete management and marketing overhaul this summer.

Please get rid of Stan Kelly.

exstatic
07-19-2008, 08:59 AM
:lol and I thought bufoon was bad.

Both of them sure get you barking on the end of your chain, don't they?

MannyIsGod
07-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Jay Howard will never broadcast another game. it was the Spurs decision to have him removed.

exstatic
07-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Jay Howard will never broadcast another game. it was the Spurs decision to have him removed.

Actually, with all of the shakeup this summer, it turns out it was Bookbinder's decision, and he ain't here. I still don't see JH coming back to do the games, though.

GoGatos
07-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Since the WOAI/Ticket 760 crew hang out here sometimes, I will throw this out there ...

I heard from three different people today that there's a rumor that WOAI Radio lost the Spurs broadcasts.

Any truth to it?

If we did, I didn't hear anything about it. But as far as I knew, we had just signed a contract extension sometime recently in the past couple of years to remain the Spurs' home, so I doubt that's the case. Plus, all my bosses seemed to be in an abnormally chipper mood yesterday, and losing the Spurs would not have made the smile, to say the least.

What could be happening is something similar to what the Cowboys are doing. In Dallas, the Ticket 1310 is their flagship for their network. However, the Cowboys came down early this summer and said they wanted to make WOAI/Ticket760 more of a "South Texas Flagship" and is giving us the type of access that they give the Ticket in Dallas.

I could see the Spurs possibly doing the same thing with stations in the Valley. Although, "access" with the Spurs should be taken with a grain of salt. In any case, they could have made a deal with BMP or whatever to add more affiliates throughout the valley or something. I'm about 99% certain we didn't lose the Spurs.

Lance
07-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I went to spursreport and there is nothing on this subject, I doubt very seriously if it is true Spursreport is the leader in Spurs news.

TUson
07-19-2008, 03:41 PM
here is what happened courtesy allaccess.com

Border Media Scores Spurs Marketing Deal
BORDER MEDIA has accomplished a major pro hoops coup, as it has inked a marketing deal with the SAN ANTONIO SPURS for the ‘08-‘09 season. The sponsorship alliance includes BMP SAN ANTONIO radio stations Adult Hits KJXK (JACK FM), Rhythmic AC KTFM, Talk KTSA-A, ESPN KZDC-A, Spanish Contemporary KRIO, Spanish KLEY, and Spanish KSAH.

Play-by-play remains on crosstown CLEAR CHANNEL Talk WOAI-A.

Kori Ellis
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
here is what happened courtesy allaccess.com

Border Media Scores Spurs Marketing Deal
BORDER MEDIA has accomplished a major pro hoops coup, as it has inked a marketing deal with the SAN ANTONIO SPURS for the ‘08-‘09 season. The sponsorship alliance includes BMP SAN ANTONIO radio stations Adult Hits KJXK (JACK FM), Rhythmic AC KTFM, Talk KTSA-A, ESPN KZDC-A, Spanish Contemporary KRIO, Spanish KLEY, and Spanish KSAH.

Play-by-play remains on crosstown CLEAR CHANNEL Talk WOAI-A.

Interesting. So, KTSA and ESPN Radio here in San Antonio (among others) will be Spurs sponsors, but the play-by-play will stay on WOAI. That's an odd relationship it seems, but I don't know much about the marketing/sponsorship of it.

Thanks.

ShoogarBear
07-19-2008, 09:43 PM
KTSA's new pitch: Support the Spurs, just don't listen to them!

mouse
07-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Sounds like Peter Holt has ties to clear channel.

GoGatos
07-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Interesting. So, KTSA and ESPN Radio here in San Antonio (among others) will be Spurs sponsors, but the play-by-play will stay on WOAI. That's an odd relationship it seems, but I don't know much about the marketing/sponsorship of it.

Thanks.

The Spurs sell their own ads for the radio broadcasts, so I assume the marketing deal will include letting those same SSE spots air on BMP stations?

07-20-2008, 03:00 PM
The other thing I heard on Alexander's show is now with the Spurs/BMP deal, folks like 1250 can now host "official" Spurs watch parties and such.

One other cool thing they announced as well is a comprehensive high school football show once season starts. I didn't hear when it will air though.

Spurminator
07-20-2008, 05:06 PM
This would suck. I don't pick up those other stations in North Texas...

T Park
07-20-2008, 05:24 PM
The other thing I heard on Alexander's show is now with the Spurs/BMP deal, folks like 1250 can now host "official" Spurs watch parties and such.

One other cool thing they announced as well is a comprehensive high school football show once season starts. I didn't hear when it will air though.

Nice.

Now that EA Gameshow is defunct, the Thompsons should be back in town and ready to do this kinda stuff.

The people at 1250 can probobly also do unofficial official postgame shows.

Please.

PeterBurns
07-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Just back in town.
I'm not sure what this is about, outside of BMP being able to "officially" do Spurs stuff. Watching Parties...etc.

Normally, if there was anybody doing anything and mentioning the Spurs, we had the right to tell them to desist as we had the rights.

So it appears that they worked with them to use the rights for parties...etc. Bascially, BMP can go to sponsors and sell Spurs opportunites.

Doesn't seem like much will change.

Also 1369. Ticket 760 has a program on Friday nights after the games as well.

purist
07-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Seems to me that it would be awful tough for the Spurs to walk away from the watt power that OAI gives them.

neither 760 or 1250 would give them that. both stations fade away after dark when they power down. Now KTSA, maybe.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Seems to me that it would be awful tough for the Spurs to walk away from the watt power that OAI gives them.

neither 760 or 1250 would give them that. both stations fade away after dark when they power down. Now KTSA, maybe.

Actually I heard that they will be moving to KTSA. Not now for this season, but in the near future. *again just a rumor*

Chris Duel
07-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Actually I heard that they will be moving to KTSA. Not now for this season, but in the near future. *again just a rumor*

To quote The GoGo's, "Our Lips Are Sealed."

:flag:

Chris Duel
07-20-2008, 10:56 PM
Just back in town.
I'm not sure what this is about, outside of BMP being able to "officially" do Spurs stuff. Watching Parties...etc.

Normally, if there was anybody doing anything and mentioning the Spurs, we had the right to tell them to desist as we had the rights.

So it appears that they worked with them to use the rights for parties...etc. Bascially, BMP can go to sponsors and sell Spurs opportunites.

Doesn't seem like much will change.

Also 1369. Ticket 760 has a program on Friday nights after the games as well.

"And the band played on." :rollin

PeterBurns
07-20-2008, 11:07 PM
And in the near future, technically my Uncle could become my Aunt.
Scientifically, it is possible. Yet, not likely.

Who knows. Can't imagine it happening anytime soon. I think WOAI has them for the next few years.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2008, 06:00 AM
And in the near future, technically my Uncle could become my Aunt.
Scientifically, it is possible. Yet, not likely.

Who knows. Can't imagine it happening anytime soon. I think WOAI has them for the next few years.

No reason to get snippy, Mr. Burns. :) I started the thread only because three people told me that they heard it. None of these people work in radio or TV, so I told them I'd ask. I don't listen to the Spurs on the radio, so I don't care that much what channel it's on. :lol

PeterBurns
07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
No reason to get snippy, Mr. Burns. :) I started the thread only because three people told me that they heard it. None of these people work in radio or TV, so I told them I'd ask. I don't listen to the Spurs on the radio, so I don't care that much what channel it's on. :lol

First off, I think there is only two times you can ever use the word snippy.

1) If you are talking about a dog.
2) If you are of British decent, and you have the actual accent.

Again, not sure the details. Will try to find out.

travis2
07-21-2008, 12:07 PM
damn snippy Kori can use the word whenever she wants...

Kori Ellis
07-21-2008, 12:38 PM
First off, I think there is only two times you can ever use the word snippy.

1) If you are talking about a dog.

I thought I was? ;)

PeterBurns
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
In the words of Ron Burgandy...."Well played.....Well Played"

Actually, we might have happened is that they bought a suite with the Spurs, which makes them a Spurs sponsor. Just a guess.

Tonto
07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
maybe proud foot chris dule
bring back pale face laura green

http://www.nba.com/media/mavericks/biogreen.jpg

ShoogarBear
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I thought I was? ;)
*bam* ZOOOM!

NateL
07-21-2008, 04:15 PM

*grin*

Stacie
07-21-2008, 08:43 PM

I tell Peter that every night.

Please_dont_ban_me
07-21-2008, 11:54 PM

Thanks.

Sounds like they're waiting for the deal to be up with Clear Channel, so they can move it over.

Jimmy Bobby
07-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Sounds like they're waiting for the deal to be up with Clear Channel, so they can move it over.

What do you know, you idiot?

Clear Channel is absolutely secure in their relationship with the Spurs. There is nothing that could EVAR change this!

Jimmy Bobby
07-22-2008, 12:34 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/mavericks/biogreen.jpg

Are you KIDDING me? She should have never been on television, much less radio. There's a reason why Green, Howard and Vexler are gone forever. Because Clear Channel no longer allows those who report things that the Spurs don't approve of!

pickle girl
07-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Jealous much?

pooh
07-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Are you KIDDING me? She should have never been on television, much less radio. There's a reason why Green, Howard and Vexler are gone forever. Because Clear Channel no longer allows those who report things that the Spurs don't approve of!

But they SHOULD be able to report things that the Spurs don't approve of instead of towing the "company" line.