PDA

View Full Version : George Hill greatest FO draft blunder of All Time.

jayc23
07-19-2008, 03:50 AM
The spurs FO is always looking for a diamond in the rough.. always out smarting themselves... always praying for a TP ala manu repeat... well POP REALLY SCREWED THIS ONE... how dare he pass on CDR and chalmers... NO FO WITH :lobt: would EVER do that.. oh wait... they did..
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/13/not_one_to_simmer/?page=2

"Worth more than a hill of beans: Possibly the biggest surprise of the first round of the recent NBA draft was IUPUI guard George Hill being selected by the Spurs with the 26th pick. But if that didn't happen, could Hill have ended up a Celtic? Hill was projected by many as a second-round pick and wasn't even listed among the 123 prospects in the NBA's predraft media guide. But after Hill's introductory news conference in San Antonio, his agent, Michael Whitaker, said the Celtics had promised to select Hill with the 30th pick if he was available."
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/10876212

"• The Lakers are close to getting a second-rounder from Seattle and want IUPUI guard George Hill. (32nd pick)"

Mario Chalmers is so good all the championship contenders were fighting to get him.. wtf was R.C and pop thinking.... WHERE THE HELL WERE SequSpur, GINO, NONO, and TLONG, and good ole draft advice... the Spurs shoulda picked up hill at 46.. he woulda been around that long for SURE!............

im done with my late nite rant.. i just was filling in SequSpurs role for Hill sucks threads cuz he seems to be MIA.

anakha
07-19-2008, 04:13 AM
i just was filling in sagu's role for Hill sucks threads cuz he seems to be MIA.

Who's sagu?

purist
07-19-2008, 04:46 AM
i guess you don't remember alfredick hughes

AusSpursFan
07-19-2008, 04:52 AM
I am over you haters, I have every faith in the Spurs FO, they have done it before and will do it again. Rather than bagging out the guy, why not believe in him and give the guy a chance? Maybe you are right about Hill being picked up at 46, I myself was thinking Chalmers on draft night, but I am not the guy making the decisions and last time I looked the team's track record speaks for itself.

Bruno
07-19-2008, 05:11 AM
I don't know if Hill will be a steal or a bust but you can still say some things :

First, Spurs' FO has faith in its scouting. They picked an unknown IUPUI player over consensus picks like Darrell Arthur, Donté Greene, Mario Chalmers or CDR.

Second, the idea that Spurs could have traded down and drafted Hill with a lower pick is plain wrong. Some teams were ready to pick Hill very few spots after Spurs.

samikeyp
07-19-2008, 05:51 AM

+1

ceperez
07-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Check this out... George Hill shutting down #3 draft pick O.J.Mayohttp://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080715/thumb.61a9ffc34e1d42dc9b36ba4ed53f0968.spurs_grizz lies_basketball_nvlr120.jpg

ceperez
07-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Here's a closer look:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080715/capt.61a9ffc34e1d42dc9b36ba4ed53f0968.spurs_grizzl ies_basketball_nvlr120.jpg

Mr. Body
07-19-2008, 06:16 AM
I doubt he'll be a steal. He'll probably be alright. But nice troll bait, I guess.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2008, 06:56 AM
I guess the rookie missed the other 10 George Hill threads in the forum...

greenroom
07-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Wow the greatest FO draft blunder of all time with out a game played??

Why not let the kid get a few games under his belt that count before we go and throw him under the bus?

GrandeDavid
07-19-2008, 07:01 AM
I've said it before here and I'll say it again. Pop, Buford and the Spurs decision makers have more experience in evaluating talent and fitting pieces than any of us do. Let the young man stumble and embarrass himself now. He has the character to grow and improve. I have all the confidence in the world that Hill will become the kind of player the Spurs staff has envisioned. Calm down, people.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
07-19-2008, 07:03 AM
how about we wait till he at least plays a year

timvp
07-19-2008, 07:06 AM
This has turned out to be an awkward thread. OP attempts to mimic Sequ but most don't pick up on it.

wijayas
07-19-2008, 07:18 AM
The spurs FO is always looking for a diamond in the rough.. always out smarting themselves... always praying for a TP ala manu repeat... well POP REALLY SCREWED THIS ONE... how dare he pass on CDR and chalmers... NO FO WITH :lobt: would EVER do that.. oh wait... they did..
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/07/13/not_one_to_simmer/?page=2

"Worth more than a hill of beans: Possibly the biggest surprise of the first round of the recent NBA draft was IUPUI guard George Hill being selected by the Spurs with the 26th pick. But if that didn't happen, could Hill have ended up a Celtic? Hill was projected by many as a second-round pick and wasn't even listed among the 123 prospects in the NBA's predraft media guide. But after Hill's introductory news conference in San Antonio, his agent, Michael Whitaker, said the Celtics had promised to select Hill with the 30th pick if he was available."

"• The Lakers are close to getting a second-rounder from Seattle and want IUPUI guard George Hill. (32nd pick)"

Mario Chalmers is so good all the championship contenders were fighting to get him.. wtf was R.C and pop thinking.... WHERE THE HELL WERE SequSpur, GINO, NONO, and TLONG, and good ole draft advice... the Spurs shoulda picked up hill at 46.. he woulda been around that long for SURE!............

im done with my late nite rant.. i just was filling in SequSpurs role for Hill sucks threads cuz he seems to be MIA.

jayc23, you are raising your blood pressure unnecessarily. relax man. Hill will be alright...!!! :toast :toast :toast

jayc23
07-19-2008, 07:36 AM
I guess people can't read either

mrspurs
07-19-2008, 08:03 AM
my doctor says when your stuck with a thought and you cant get rid of it(good or bad)...jump into the shower, and while washing your hair, open your eyes....amazing what a little water and soap can do......if that doesnt work, then goto spurstalk and pretend your someone on my ignore list......lets be honest, this past draft was filled with scrubs, it wouldnt have mattered who the spurs picked up....noone is gonna take up the slots that are filled by veterans....this past draft was even worse for those who had top picks...which do i choose the one that wont help us? or the one who really wont help us?

BOHOLANO#21
07-19-2008, 08:07 AM

greatest failure..YOU. dickless muther fucka.

anakha
07-19-2008, 08:09 AM
my doctor says when your stuck with a thought and you cant get rid of it(good or bad)...jump into the shower, and while washing your hair, open your eyes....amazing what a little water and soap can do......if that doesnt work, then goto spurstalk and pretend your someone on my ignore list......lets be honest, this past draft was filled with scrubs, it wouldnt have mattered who the spurs picked up....noone is gonna take up the slots that are filled by veterans....this past draft was even worse for those who had top picks...which do i choose the one that wont help us? or the one who really wont help us?

Nice try on the abstract, pseudo-existentialist post, but it just didn't quite work. :p

picnroll
07-19-2008, 08:17 AM
greatest failure..YOU. dickless muther fucka.

Never underestimate the lack of reading comprehension. jayc23, the biggest Hill fan on the board, being pilloried for trashing Hill along the lines of sequspur who doesn't really intend to be taken seriously and Mr Body who thinks he should be. :lol

benefactor
07-19-2008, 08:47 AM
I think this thread was supposed to be supporting Hill......?

remingtonbo2001
07-19-2008, 09:40 AM
This has turned out to be an awkward thread. OP attempts to mimic Sequ but most don't pick up on it.

The lack of profanity causes this thread to fail.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I guess Hill was really their first guy.

Sway
07-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Do we really need another "Hill is the greatest/worst pick ever" thread?

Cant_Be_Faded
07-19-2008, 10:09 AM
sagu spur

hahahahhahaha

anakha
07-19-2008, 10:18 AM
http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/4/7/19/f_saguspurm_2d94d89.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/4/7/19/f_saguspurm_2d94d89.jpg&srv=img28)

Holy crap. Sequ's really another mouse troll?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Frederic Weis was the biggest draft blunder in recent memory, with Kandiman a close second. :lmao

SequSpur
07-19-2008, 11:21 AM
:loser

ElNono
07-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Darius Miles have to be somewhere there with draft busts...

completely deck
07-19-2008, 11:27 AM
But you've got to admit this really does sound like one of his incredibly awkward rants.

ElNono
07-19-2008, 11:33 AM
But you've got to admit this really does sound like one of his incredibly awkward rants.

It's his agent... what do you want? :lol

GrandeDavid
07-19-2008, 11:41 AM

Probably because it lacked the usual vulgarities.

cherylsteele
07-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Add to that Dwayne Schintzius

703 Spurz
07-19-2008, 04:12 PM

Dude hasn't played a minute in the reg seasons and he's suddenly the worst of all time.

Why do we have message boards again? Is it to showcase utter stupidity?

Spurtacus
07-19-2008, 04:13 PM
George Hill doesn't care what people like the OP says. He will have millions while you have Spurs talk opinions.

duncan228
07-19-2008, 04:30 PM

I guess people can't read either

I think this thread was supposed to be supporting Hill......?

George Hill doesn't care what people like the OP says. He will have millions while you have Spurs talk opinions.

The OP, jayc23, is a long time friend of Hill's. He joined the board when we drafted him. His post is a dig at the other threads tearing apart Hill.

duncan228
07-19-2008, 04:32 PM
jayc23's introduction thread, giving us a personal view of Hill.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100376

angelbelow
07-19-2008, 04:58 PM
nice. this one is funner than the other ones.

jayc23
07-19-2008, 05:09 PM
lol... ya George is one of my best friends in real life... but im right up there with SeguSPUR!.... its ok though I went after Obstructed for a sarcastic comment poking at trolls... as soon as George was picked by SA I went searching for where all the SA fans reside on the internet and I have really enjoyed the enthusiasm spurs fans have compared to alot of NBA blogs and boards... even though its been an irritating week with George struggling and dealing with doubters and trolls of the FO... I mainly am frustrated with the fact that so many people make uninformed posts off the top of their head.. like George was some jungle basketball player that fell to the face of the earth when in reality he was on the priority pick lists for a majority of the championship contenders in 09'...

SenorSpur
07-19-2008, 05:17 PM
George Hill greatest FO draft blunder of All Time.

No. That honor would go to Alfredrick "The Great" Hughes, Oliver Robinson or Chris Carawell.

jayc23
07-19-2008, 05:21 PM
my post title was a exaggeration mocking the pre-emptive strike by some spurs fans to write off Hill before he could land in SA.

Ocotillo
07-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Was Len Bias considered a FO blunder by the Celtics?

manufor3
07-19-2008, 10:37 PM
http://jessenoller.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/vader-fail.jpg

FilSpursFan
07-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Do you think you're better than the FO? I think they're doing their job alright..

SPURSGOAT
07-19-2008, 11:12 PM
The OP, jayc23, is a long time friend of Hill's. He joined the board when we drafted him. His post is a dig at the other threads tearing apart Hill.

Yep! :hat

jayc23
07-19-2008, 11:13 PM
my god... your english teacher didn't do her job right.... if you read the post you will see that I was using ironic humor to prove that Hill was not a very supprising draft choice and his stock was alot higher among NBA teams than Mock writer drafts.

itzsoweezee
07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
how dare he pass on CDR and chalmers... NO FO WITH :lobt: would EVER do that.. oh wait... they did..

the smart people in the spurs front office are now working for other teams. we're left with the idiot, know-nothing, rc buford.

ducks
07-19-2008, 11:33 PM
the smart people in the spurs front office are now working for other teams. we're left with the idiot, know-nothing, rc buford.

pop was in town this year :flag::flag::flag::flag:

The Franchise
07-20-2008, 10:28 AM
I mainly am frustrated with the fact that so many people make uninformed posts off the top of their head.. like George was some jungle basketball player that fell to the face of the earth when in reality he was on the priority pick lists for a majority of the championship contenders in 09'... Lets not get to far ahead of ourselves now.:lol

TJastal
07-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Do you think you're better than the FO? I think they're doing their job alright..

Are they even doing alright? Their priorites going into this off-season should have been (in order)

1) small forward with some size
2) shot blocking c/pf
3) backup pg

Getting a legitimate starting small forward from either draft or free agency should have been numero uno priority and that didn't really get accomplished unless you count their second round pick of Gist, who looks to me like he's going to be more of 4 than a 3.... and being 2nd round pick its not like they were counting on it.

They let a golden opportunity slip by to obtain a legit starting 3 in the draft, when Donte Green fell into their laps at #26 who coincidentally has been tearing apart the summer league averaging 20+ a game. He was the best small forward on the board at that point, and many felt should have been a lottery pick. Maybe they figured they would plug that hole via free agency, but I feel when the opportunity is there to fill a #1 priority you take it, and they whiffed big-time on that one.

Question becomes, why would they deem a backup pg was their greatest need? They have traditionally let Manu run the offense when Parker sits, and they also have Jacque Vaughn, who is servicable and knows the system. Signing Barry was another possibility at that point as well.

As it turns out they had yet another combo guard who can play pg on their radar all along, Roger Mason, whom not surprisingly signed. So why in all honesty did they not take Green if they were planning to go after Mason? Bowen is almost 40 years old, and Udoke is good in limited minutes only. There is a great need for a talented athletic swingman on this team.

It just doesn't make sense, priorities are not being addressed and the team is going to suffer as a result.

Extra Stout
07-20-2008, 12:25 PM
One must understand something about SequSpur. He only appears to hold these strong yet dumb opinions. He really is just trying to get a rise out of people for humor value. This is because he is a troll in real life, as becomes obvious when one meets him in person.

TJastal
07-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Hell, I think the rockets should send the spurs FO a very sincere thank you note for everything they've done the past couple years....

Spurs:

1. Let Donte Greene slip past #26, allowing rockets to take advantage. (Nah, don't pick up a talented swingman you dumbshits, use your #1 pick to take an undersized shooting guard and try to convert him to backup point guard) Rockets: Ka-Ching!

2. Signed Matt Bonner and ushered Luis Scola to the rockets. Rockets: Ka-ching!

3. Turned their back on a still very capable veteran Brent Barry, whom the rockets promptly sign. Rockets: Ka-Ching!

Is there more I'm forgetting? :rolleyes

rj215
07-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Wow the greatest FO draft blunder of all time with out a game played??

Why not let the kid get a few games under his belt that count before we go and throw him under the bus?

+1

Bartleby
07-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Getting a legitimate starting small forward from either draft or free agency should have been numero uno priority and that didn't really get accomplished unless you count their second round pick of Gist, who looks to me like he's going to be more of 4 than a 3.... and being 2nd round pick its not like they were counting on it.

They let a golden opportunity slip by to obtain a legit starting 3 in the draft, when Donte Green fell into their laps at #26 who coincidentally has been tearing apart the summer league averaging 20+ a game. He was the best small forward on the board at that point, and many felt should have been a lottery pick. Maybe they figured they would plug that hole via free agency, but I feel when the opportunity is there to fill a #1 priority you take it, and they whiffed big-time on that one.

I disagree. Gist has shown the speed and the skill set to make it as a 3 in the NBA. I can also see him playing the 4 in small ball situations, but as he gets more range on his shot he will probably see more time at the 3.

Also, when you compare what Gist and Green have done in the summer leagues, Gist has actually outperformed green from a statistical standpoint. Green had two great, high scoring games, and two crappy ones. His shooting percentages are lower than Gist's, and Gist is a much better rebounder.

Question becomes, why would they deem a backup pg was their greatest need? They have traditionally let Manu run the offense when Parker sits, and they also have Jacque Vaughn, who is servicable and knows the system. Signing Barry was another possibility at that point as well.

The alternatives you suggest are short term stop-gap solutions at best, not the sort of plan I would want to see the Spurs use for the entire season, much less the playoffs.

Manu is too turnover prone to play PG. Besides, it takes him out of his game if you have him brining the ball up the floor.

Vaughn is great on defense but horrible when it comes to offense. I'm sure the Spurs FO were just as tired as we fans were of how the offense grinded to a halt when he came in for Tony.

Barry has the handle, passing abilities, and court vision to play PG, but his lack of speed is a serious liability on defense and he appears to have become injury prone (since he is, in fact, closer to 40 than Bruce)

As it turns out they had yet another combo guard who can play pg on their radar all along, Roger Mason, whom not surprisingly signed. So why in all honesty did they not take Green if they were planning to go after Mason? Bowen is almost 40 years old, and Udoke is good in limited minutes only. There is a great need for a talented athletic swingman on this team.

Mason is a shooting guard (much more so than Hill), and keep in mind that while he may have been on their radar during the draft, it was not entirely clear how free agency was going to play out.

Bowen is no spring chicken, but he hasn't slowed down much and has basically played injury free since he first signed with the Spurs.

I thought Udoka played pretty well for the most part, and I expect him to be even better this year as he will be more used to the Spurs system.

So, yes, while I agree there was a need for a talented athletic swingman, the need to draft an athletic PG who can score was greater and quality point guards are harder to come by through free agency than small forwards.

TJastal
07-20-2008, 02:44 PM
"So, yes, while I agree there was a need for a talented athletic swingman, the need to draft an athletic PG who can score was greater and quality point guards are harder to come by through free agency than small forwards."

Bartelby

I wanna address your entire reply piece by piece, but I'll lay off cuz its all a moot point now, what's done is done. I'll simply say that for the remaining few seasons of Duncan's prime, yes I think stopgaps at backup point guard would work just fine (Manu, Mason, Vaughn).. caveat being this also allows the spurs to go big. A project point guard like Hill that has played shooting guard mostly his entire life is really is rolling the dice.... I mean, even the pick itself makes no sense. Spurs needed that #1 to be plug n play.. if your going that route you go with pure point guard, Mario Chalmers would have clearly been the much better choice.

Hill is going to need more time to get acclimated to a position he's not used to playing, as evidenced by his struggles already in summer league. He's probably going to make alot more mistakes along the way, and with the level of competition in the west at an all time high he is likely to end up on the bench, or at best getting very limited "garbage" minutes, and Pop using those aformentioned "stop-gaps" anyway.

Udoka is a good career backup who can hustle, play defense, and make a few wide open shots once in awhile, but nowhere near what Donte Greene is going to be offensively. Bowen is closing in on 40 years old, and both are also shorter, around 6'5. Greene is everything they are not - young, tall, quick, athletic, and can score alot of points inside and out. He would have been starting by the 3rd week of the season. I think as far as priorities go for the spurs, obtaining a starting quality swingman should have trumped backup pg anyday. Also its alot easier IMO to find a backup point in FA than a starting quality 3.

TJastal
07-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Oh, and about Gist, he is not going have the handles, speed, and shooting range of Greene, I can almost guarantee you that. But hey, I'll cross my fingers. :downspin:

From everything I've heard and read about him, he will make it as a scrapper undersized 4, a Malik Rose type of player, but not the type of guy who is going to play starter minutes, score 18ppg and help spread the floor for Duncan

Ocotillo
07-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh, and about Gist, he is not going have the handles, speed, and shooting range of Greene, I can almost guarantee you that. But hey, I'll cross my fingers. :downspin:

From everything I've heard and read about him, he will make it as a scrapper undersized 4, a Malik Rose type of player, but not the type of guy who is going to play starter minutes, score 18ppg and help spread the floor for Duncan

The odds are huge against someone drafted at 57 to give you starter minutes. We all know Manu turned out to be that exception but if Gist turns into a role player than can give us some solid time on the floor as a 4 in small ball and be a defensive player at the 3, we should be pretty darn content to get an NBA role player at that position in the draft.

Manu is the exception. I would venture to say most second rounders end up overseas or in the D-league. If you can get a rotation player out of your second round pick(s), you are doing a pretty good job.

TJastal
07-20-2008, 03:20 PM
The odds are huge against someone drafted at 57 to give you starter minutes. We all know Manu turned out to be that exception but if Gist turns into a role player than can give us some solid time on the floor as a 4 in small ball and be a defensive player at the 3, we should be pretty darn content to get an NBA role player at that position in the draft.

Manu is the exception. I would venture to say most second rounders end up overseas or in the D-league. If you can get a rotation player out of your second round pick(s), you are doing a pretty good job.

I think Gist has some potential to be a 7th or 8th man off the bench down the line, and like you said that is great for a #57 pick. I applaud that pick.

Its the #26 pick that has me scratching my head. Do you think Donte Green at #26 would have had the potential to step in as a starting 3 fairly quickly? Damn straight. Wasn't this the spurs' biggest need this off season, a starting quality swingman? Who can score.. alot? I thought so. Apparently however "backup point guard" is more important than a starting quality small forward in the cloudy thinking of the spurs FO.

Bartleby
07-20-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm not so sure Donte is an NBA starter. Maybe in a couple of years, but I doubt he starts for the Rockets anytime soon. I am almost certain he wouldn't start for the Spurs this year. He has shown he can put points on the board, but it has taken him a lot of shots to do that and other parts of his game (the ones the Spurs would need him for) seem lacking.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 03:47 PM

That's nice. I guess it's too obvious to mention that we don't need an 18 PPG scorer, just someone to spread the floor for the big three and give Bowen some time to rest.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 03:50 PM
I think Gist has some potential to be a 7th or 8th man off the bench down the line, and like you said that is great for a #57 pick. I applaud that pick.

Its the #26 pick that has me scratching my head. Do you think Donte Green at #26 would have had the potential to step in as a starting 3 fairly quickly? Damn straight. Wasn't this the spurs' biggest need this off season, a starting quality swingman? Who can score.. alot? I thought so. Apparently however "backup point guard" is more important than a starting quality small forward in the cloudy thinking of the spurs FO.

So I guess you missed Greene's two subpar shooting performances in SL and choose to selectively pick which of his games you want to gush over...

Green wouldn't be starting in short order, put down the crack pipe.

And can we put the drama over the swing man position on hold? Free agency isn't near over with yet, some of you need to back away from the damn ledge.

We weren't getting a starting quality SF in the draft at 26, we aren't getting it in a weak FA class with only the MLE to spare, either.

Donte's definitely got potential, but it's a bit early to be annointing the guy as an All-Star, don't you think? Marco Belinelli, anyone?

exstatic
07-20-2008, 05:07 PM

The Spurs rate each position player by player for their draft board. Say they have needs at position A, B, and C. The draft board looks like the following, on a ten scale:

A 8.5
B 7
C 7.5

You draft position A, and don't even look back. Drafting college players based on college reputation got the Spurs Alfrederick Hughes. Don't believe the hype.

jayc23
07-20-2008, 05:11 PM
One must understand something about SequSpur. He only appears to hold these strong yet dumb opinions. He really is just trying to get a rise out of people for humor value. This is because he is a troll in real life, as becomes obvious when one meets him in person.

more like a dwarf... hes self acclaimed 5'2... obviously the midget has never played a minute of high caliber basketball and just likes judging people

jayc23
07-20-2008, 05:20 PM
+1

seriously if one more person responds to my post trying to disprove the title... you really are stupider than Seguspur.. read the post itself .. not just the title "dont judge a book by its cover"... the irony is your trying to defend George from a dig from one of his closest friends... when I'm just trying to get people to wait and watch George develop into a solid NBA player

SPURSGOAT
07-20-2008, 05:33 PM
seriously if one more person responds to my post trying to disprove the title... you really are stupider than Seguspur.. read the post itself .. not just the title "dont judge a book by its cover"... the irony is your trying to defend George from a dig from one of his closest friends... when I'm just trying to get people to wait and watch George develop into a solid NBA player

Hill can start by not having disappointing showings like he did on Saturday. He went from looking like a first round pick in Friday's game then back to being like he was playing in Vegas SL on Saturday...

I still believe in the FO and am behind them 100% on the draft picks and signing of Mason. I still think that Hill will grow into a very solid NBA PG, but it is going to take some time and he will go through some growing pains of course...

spurman20
07-20-2008, 05:37 PM
"So, yes, while I agree there was a need for a talented athletic swingman, the need to draft an athletic PG who can score was greater and quality point guards are harder to come by through free agency than small forwards."

Bartelby

I wanna address your entire reply piece by piece, but I'll lay off cuz its all a moot point now, what's done is done. I'll simply say that for the remaining few seasons of Duncan's prime, yes I think stopgaps at backup point guard would work just fine (Manu, Mason, Vaughn).. caveat being this also allows the spurs to go big. A project point guard like Hill that has played shooting guard mostly his entire life is really is rolling the dice.... I mean, even the pick itself makes no sense. Spurs needed that #1 to be plug n play.. if your going that route you go with pure point guard, Mario Chalmers would have clearly been the much better choice.

Hill is going to need more time to get acclimated to a position he's not used to playing, as evidenced by his struggles already in summer league. He's probably going to make alot more mistakes along the way, and with the level of competition in the west at an all time high he is likely to end up on the bench, or at best getting very limited "garbage" minutes, and Pop using those aformentioned "stop-gaps" anyway.

Udoka is a good career backup who can hustle, play defense, and make a few wide open shots once in awhile, but nowhere near what Donte Greene is going to be offensively. Bowen is closing in on 40 years old, and both are also shorter, around 6'5. Greene is everything they are not - young, tall, quick, athletic, and can score alot of points inside and out. He would have been starting by the 3rd week of the season. I think as far as priorities go for the spurs, obtaining a starting quality swingman should have trumped backup pg anyday. Also its alot easier IMO to find a backup point in FA than a starting quality 3.

Greene is very over hyped. He will never be a defender, He requires alot of shoots to get his points, he is a weak finisher and turnover prone and has a low BBall IQ.

He is the next Billy Owens and John Wallace, Hakeim Warrick.

jayc23
07-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Hill can start by not having disappointing showings like he did on Saturday. He went from looking like a first round pick in Friday's game then back to being like he was playing in Vegas SL on Saturday...

I still believe in the FO and am behind them 100% on the draft picks and signing of Mason. I still think that Hill will grow into a very solid NBA PG, but it is going to take some time and he will go through some growing pains of course...

agreed.

The Franchise
07-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Greene is very over hyped. He will never be a defender, He requires alot of shoots to get his points, he is a weak finisher and turnover prone and has a low BBall IQ.

He is the next Billy Owens and John Wallace, Hakeim Warrick.

Don't attack Donte Green because you like Hill. I think they both need some time to refine their games, but if it came down to a GM choosing between Hill or Greene, George Hill would be home fixing a bologna sandwich right now.

SenorSpur
07-20-2008, 10:18 PM

Fortunately for Hill, he's got a stud like TP ahead of him, who went through the exact same growing pains and struggles. Both Parker and Vaughn will be an excellent tutors for this kid.

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Don't attack Donte Green because you like Hill. I think they both need some time to refine their games, but if it came down to a GM choosing between Hill or Greene, George Hill would be home fixing a bologna sandwich right now.

Green doesn't board, doesn't defend, doesn't dish, doesn't bring anything consistent offensively - and he's superior to Hill? Hill can do at least three of these things right now, and it's freakin' July!

The Franchise
07-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Green doesn't board, doesn't defend, doesn't dish, doesn't bring anything consistent offensively - and he's superior to Hill? Hill can do at least three of these things right now, and it's freakin' July!

Doesn't bring anything consistent offensively? You need to watch some Rockets Summer League games. He does play matador defense, but he can learn those fundamentals in training camp. There is nothing wrong with this kids ability to score (except for one stinker game he had:lol) He is actually a good passer, and gets his teammates involved just ask Marty Liunnen. He is an ok rebounder, but you do expect more from someone with his height. Did I mention he's only 19? Overall he needs work,but yes he is better than Hill and will make more of an impact for his team.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Who knows what Greene is capable of, but the Spurs vitally need scoring off the bench, which he will be able to do far better than Hill at any point in their careers. He also appears to have much higher long-term potential. There's a clear ceiling for Hill. One of those two players could be an NBA starter and it's not the one in a Spurs' uniform.

jayc23
07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
the only thing greens got is size and a jump shot... when was the last time that alone won an NBA title

jayc23
07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
Who knows what Greene is capable of, but the Spurs vitally need scoring off the bench, which he will be able to do far better than Hill at any point in their careers. He also appears to have much higher long-term potential. There's a clear ceiling for Hill. One of those two players could be an NBA starter and it's not the one in a Spurs' uniform.

coming from Mr. Body.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:03 PM
coming from Mr. Body.

um, yes, I did write that post.

???

jayc23
07-20-2008, 11:04 PM
im new to the forums and it seems you have a pretty good rep for being a scrub.

knee-knee-3
07-20-2008, 11:05 PM

Why is Hill's ceiling so clear? There's a smoothness to his game that is very appealing.

jayc23
07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
its a glass ceiling that Hill's going to shatter... after he develops like most NBA players?.... Hill can't score .... :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao ... Once Hill breaks his mental blocks from being overwhelmed at making the NBA transition hes going to piss in alot of doubters cheerios... Hill is an unselfish, unsung hero... green is a self servant douche who looks lost when he has to do anything but shoot... hes hit some good shots but its nothing Hill can't do when he gets back to his normal self... if you look at all the tools the only thing green has on hill is 4 inches.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Why is Hill's ceiling so clear? There's a smoothness to his game that is very appealing.

In a wider view, he's an undersized SG who will learn spot PG duties, but his size prevents him from the front line at SG and lack of handle and PG skills prevent him from taking over from Parker.

In a team view, he plays the main position already taken by a full-time starter. Had he been a true SG with size, he and Ginobili could coexist; had he been a C or PF, he and Duncan could coexist; but playing him and Parker at the same time might not work at all.

Gino2882
07-20-2008, 11:09 PM
its a glass ceiling that Hill's going to shatter... after he develops like most NBA players?

Its sad when a jock riding fan almost makes you want to root against a player.

Let it go man. Hill struggled mightily and is slowly improving. Greene was still a better fit for this team.

Beleedat.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:09 PM
im new to the forums and it seems you have a pretty good rep for being a scrub.

Ah, I see. Like many newbies you've gotten overly impressed by AggieHoopsFan. You'll soon realize he's an epic windbag and grow to be ashamed of your groupie status.

Gino2882
07-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Ah, I see. Like many newbies you've gotten overly impressed by AggieHoopsFan. You'll soon realize he's an epic windbag and grow to be ashamed of your groupie status.

You don't have to be new to realize what Jayc brings to the table. He is George Hill's jock strap adjuster and mouthguard...

jayc23
07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Green wont contribute to a championship.. when Hill develops he WILL... You dont have a fucking clue who Hill is gino.. your a pessimistic little shit that thinks players can't adjust to pressure .. you have seen hills weaknesses but you dont understand the scope of his talent.. I dont blame you .. but take a step back and stop fucking making predictions .. because you dont have a clue.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:20 PM
You don't have to be new to realize what Jayc brings to the table. He is George Hill's jock strap adjuster and mouthguard...

Wow, you weren't kidding.

Gino2882
07-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I don't have a clue because I correctly evaluated his struggles in Summer League (lack of shooting, inability to handle traps, too many turnovers) and mentioned Donte Greene would be a better fit.

Yet, you seem to have a clue because you carry George's bags and tie his shoes for him.

Grow up kid, and unless you plan on hitting a shot and/or passing out of the trap for George, he doesn't need your help.

Also, tell me how a BACKUP PG who has trouble handling the trap will be a bigger contributor and BETTER long-term bet than 20 year old 6'9 Donte Greene who can be a dominant scorer and combo forward.

Hill = 4 years in college

Greene = 1

SequSpur
07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't have a clue because I correctly evaluated his struggles in Summer League (lack of shooting, inability to handle traps, too many turnovers) and mentioned Donte Greene would be a better fit.

Yet, you seem to have a clue because you carry George's bags and tie his shoes for him.

Grow up kid, and unless you plan on hitting a shot and/or passing out of the trap for George, he doesn't need your help.

Also, tell me how a BACKUP PG who has trouble handling the trap will be a bigger contributor and BETTER long-term bet than 20 year old 6'9 Donte Greene who can be a dominant scorer and combo forward.

Hill = 4 years in college

Greene = 1

exactly... fuk Hill.. He should've been an invite not a first round draftee.

Gino2882
07-20-2008, 11:31 PM

Nah, Hill never would of made it past Los Angeles at the end of RD2. After all CBS Sportsline mentioned that the Lake show was after Hill...LOL

Hopefully he works out, but besides George's ball boy (Jayc) no one saw this shit coming.

jayc23
07-20-2008, 11:58 PM
and dont fucking put me in the same league as Tpark or somebody who doesn't know george.... I actually Know what the spurs saw in george since they started watching him 4 years ago.. they saw potential... hes raw... He will be the player he needs to be when the time comes, when he learns... if you dont know his story or my story http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100376

...I am not George Hills groupie.. im George's friend, hes been like my brother since we met back in 97 when we were 10 playing street ball at a rec center...

He has been struggling on pressure traps .. and obviously his shot is just off.. which isn't a reflection of his talent or potential.... its bad timing as far as the start of his NBA career but hes in a good situation to be get his wings at the next level.

jayc23
07-21-2008, 12:01 AM

he wouldnt have made it past the first round... some had him going to New Orleans at 27

jayc23
07-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Nah, Hill never would of made it past Los Angeles at the end of RD2. After all CBS Sportsline mentioned that the Lake show was after Hill...LOL

Hopefully he works out, but besides George's ball boy (Jayc) no one saw this shit coming.

are you really that uninformed that you think Hill would have lasted to the end of round 2, with his performance at draft camp... your like the dumbfuck writers for NBA.com who had never heard of Hill yet he had been being scouted by NBA for 4 years... Hill was at the top of the list, of 3 championship contenders, and it was not a secret. ... yet this shit was BIG WHERE DID THIS COME FROM... You think they are going to pay this kid 2 mil with no credibility or try outs against legit comp?

jayc23
07-21-2008, 12:07 AM

You dont evalutate his strengths either you negative fuck.. which are superior to Greens strengths

ElNono
07-21-2008, 12:20 AM
To be honest, and going strictly to the thread topic, I think Scola could still turn to be the biggest blunder, closely followed by Splitter (whom even had a press conference in San Antonio). At least Hill is a Spur player and he seems to be fully comitted to the team.

TD4THREE
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Who knows what Greene is capable of, but the Spurs vitally need scoring off the bench, which he will be able to do far better than Hill at any point in their careers. He also appears to have much higher long-term potential. There's a clear ceiling for Hill. One of those two players could be an NBA starter and it's not the one in a Spurs' uniform.:rolleyes. Well I'm glad you can predict the future. Tell me are you gettting all this from the summer league, or did you just look in your crystal ball?

boutons_
07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
News from IUPUI

Glazed America: IUPUI anthropologist examines doughnut as symbol of consumer culture

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-07/iu-gai072108.php

Spurtacus
07-21-2008, 10:01 PM
News from IUPUI

Glazed America: IUPUI anthropologist examines doughnut as symbol of consumer culture

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-07/iu-gai072108.php

Anything you ever wanted to know about the doughnut lies within this guy.

http://justgiving.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/homer2_2.jpg

Indazone
07-21-2008, 10:56 PM
been watching Donte Green on NBA.com. The dude is raw. He's offensively gifted but his defense is like a sieve. These rookies are going to be a pain. I wouldn't be suprised to see Donte Green down in the D-League before the season starts. For that matter, there is a good chance that George Hill is in the D-League too.

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 11:03 PM
LOL

Hill is going to be in the line up opening night.

Don't clump Donte and Hill together. Hill has shown he can be a capable backup.

angelbelow
07-21-2008, 11:08 PM
lakers tried to trade up to the early 2nd round to draft hill, the celtics said they were going to take hill at 30. he was more coveted then most people realize.

The Franchise
07-21-2008, 11:17 PM
LOL

Hill is going to be in the line up opening night.

Don't clump Donte and Hill together. Hill has shown he can be a capable backup.

He will start the year in the D league, I guarantee it. So will Donte Green.

Indazone
07-21-2008, 11:24 PM
I'd rather have Horry on my squad before I let Donte Green, Dorsey, Leunen, or Hill see a minute on the floor. Come to think of it....hmmmm.

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 11:35 PM
He will start the year in the D league, I guarantee it. So will Donte Green.

Hill will not.

Are you willing to make an actual monetary bet?

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 11:36 PM
I'd rather have Horry on my squad before I let Donte Green, Dorsey, Leunen, or Hill see a minute on the floor. Come to think of it....hmmmm.

When did Horry play the backup point?

Indazone
07-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Who said anything about backup point. We are talking about available roster space and who is deserving of it.

Buddy Holly
07-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Bottom line, Hill will be in the Spurs line up come opening day.

Spurtacus
07-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Hill is only going to get better and better as he adjusts to playing the point. He's shown it in SL so far.

jayc23
07-22-2008, 03:05 PM
I know this thread was mocking people saying Hill doesn't have talent or potential.. they know nothing about the game of basketball

nil.ball
07-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Who's hot

Gerald Green, the 2005 Boston Celtics first-round draft choice signed earlier this summer by Dallas, had a game-high 27 points and shot 8-of-15 from the field as the Mavs beat San Antonio 84-77 in Monday's first Revue game. Green also has five rebounds, two assists, two steals and a block. He has had led Dallas in all three of its Revue outings, averaging 20.7 points per game.

George Hill, San Antonio's first-round draft choice this year, led the Spurs with 18 points Monday. The former IUPUI point guard is averaging 15 points in three Revue games, tops among the Spurs.

Mr Hill is balling

nil.ball
07-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Donte greene

for

George Hill

git done!

The Franchise
07-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Hill will not.

Are you willing to make an actual monetary bet?

Yes. If you think Pop is going to stick that kid in there ahead of Vaughn I will be glad to take your money.:toast He may not be in the D league but I will bet you anything he will not be coming of the bench for a long while except garbage time.

VaSpursFan
07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes. If you think Pop is going to stick that kid in there ahead of Vaughn I will be glad to take your money.:toast He may not be in the D league but I will bet you anything he will not be coming of the bench for a long while except garbage time.

pop ssems to be high on the kid. i can see g.hill getting the young tony parker treatment from pop which is to throw him into the fire and let him work through his mistakes.

completely deck
07-22-2008, 09:15 PM
pop ssems to be high on the kid. i can see g.hill getting the young tony parker treatment from pop which is to throw him into the fire and let him work through his mistakes.

:tu

I see this happening

my2sons
07-22-2008, 09:48 PM

I'd take that bet, pop rarely states that a player he drafted will make an immediate impact, i would interpret that as playing time not garbage time.

Tully365
07-22-2008, 09:48 PM
If you view the Spurs as trying to solve one problem at a time, I think it's fair to say they've done a good job with the Point Guard position. They now have Parker starting, a young George Hill learning behind Parker, a relatively young combo guard Roger Mason capable of playing the point for limited minutes, Manu (the same situation as Mason), and Vaughn, an inexpensive insurance policy. That position is pretty much set for three full years, and the Spurs can set their sights on the '09 free agent market for either a big or a SF, that is if Gist doesn't become the heir to Bowen's role.

Indazone
07-22-2008, 10:42 PM
George Hill is not going to be taking any minutes away from Mason, Parker, Ginobili, or Vaughn. Nope being a rookie means being last on the totem pole.

anakha
07-22-2008, 10:45 PM
George Hill is not going to be taking any minutes away from Mason, Parker, Ginobili, or Vaughn. Nope being a rookie means being last on the totem pole.

Parker starting in his rookie year kinda refutes that statement.

Indazone
07-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I'd play Parker too if my guards were Derek Anderson, Antonio Daniels, Terry Porter, Avery Johnson, Steve Kerr, Derek Dial and Jaren Jackson :D

anakha
07-22-2008, 11:13 PM
I'd play Parker too if my guards were Derek Anderson, Antonio Daniels, Terry Porter, Avery Johnson, Steve Kerr, Derek Dial and Jaren Jackson :D

So basically, you've refuted your own original statement.

Rookies are last on the totem pole - unless they're needed. :P

Indazone
07-22-2008, 11:15 PM
You play a rookie if all your guards suck. Clearly that is not the case with today's Spurs.

anakha
07-22-2008, 11:19 PM
You play a rookie if all your guards suck. Clearly that is not the case with today's Spurs.

As other posters have noted before, Hill is expected to get playing time, as long as he can show he is better than Vaughn.

So not all the Spurs' guards need to suck compared to Hill - just a couple. :D

Gino2882
07-22-2008, 11:35 PM
I know this thread was mocking people saying Hill doesn't have talent or potential.. they know nothing about the game of basketball

You ignorant shit. EVERY player taken in that first round has talent and potential, that is why they are first round picks...

But, if you think Hill has more upside and long-term potential than Donte Greene, then you sir, are a dumbshit who cannot be saved.

anakha
07-22-2008, 11:41 PM
You ignorant shit. EVERY player taken in that first round has talent and potential, that is why they are first round picks...

Nikoloz Tskitishvili heartily endorses this statement. :D

homer
07-23-2008, 12:03 AM
George Hill is not going to be taking any minutes away from Mason, Parker, Ginobili, or Vaughn. Nope, being a rookie means being last on the totem pole.

Or then again, he may be a backup for all of them at any time.Hill has played very well in every game where he's had rest the day before. It's on the back to backs where he's lacking.Just check the schedule and stat sheets. Since the Spurs don't play many of those, relatively speaking, he has the skills, both O and D, to come off the bench at either the 1or 2 positions. Bonner will be last on the pole,as usual.:wakeup

kupogrey
07-23-2008, 12:41 AM
You dont evalutate his strengths either you negative fuck.. which are superior to Greens strengths

what cardboard box have you been living under???????

even with flaws greene has so much more going for him

dont get me wrong, i think hill will make a good addition to the spurs

DPG21920
07-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Since when does Antonio Daniels suck? Not the best in the world, but very capable.

mystargtr34
07-23-2008, 01:21 AM
what cardboard box have you been living under???????

even with flaws greene has so much more going for him

dont get me wrong, i think hill will make a good addition to the spurs

Greene's strength is his shooting.

Every other part of his game is a weakness.

Nbadan
07-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Sydney Green anyone?

ceperez
07-25-2008, 05:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3502700

"Undrafted in 2007 after attracting little attention while at Cal State Fullerton, Brown drew raves in Vegas with his improved floor leadership and decision-making to complement his athleticism and scoring ability. Although he's considered more of a combo guard than a pure point guard, Brown outplayed three first-round picks -- Memphis' Mike Conley, Charlotte's D.J. Augustin and San Antonio's George Hill -- in head-to-head matchups."

Interesting, Brown with 7-12 from the field and 8 assists. Hill with 0-10, 7 rebounds and 4 assists.

Well let's just hope G.Hill's athleticism gets him to the next level.

Fingaroll44
07-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Since when does Antonio Daniels suck? Not the best in the world, but very capable.

"oh he sucks"...that has got to be the most overused term to describe a player someone just doesnt like for whatever reason....

loveforthegame
07-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I wasn't sure where to put these. It has 4 pics of Hill from the Rookie Photo Session.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/photo?slug=9673bd8eed6efc994f698cea638bcb95-getty-82057005nsb010_rookie_shoot&prov=getty

I. Hustle
07-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Darko Milicic and Kwame Brown think you are the bees knees too!

wildbill2u
07-29-2008, 02:14 PM
ANY pick after about 15 in the first round is a prayer if you look at the history of the draft. Something less than 20% make any team at all, ever.

That's just the way the talent cookies crumble. So let's pray for Hill, Gist, Tolliver and whatshisname.

JPB
07-29-2008, 02:16 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a5/fullj.23bff89d67b86fdd915da983f77b3ccc/23bff89d67b86fdd915da983f77b3ccc-getty-82057005jdg012_rookie_shoot.jpg

D-Rob hidden son ?

anakha
11-29-2008, 08:02 AM
http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/3/11/29/f_ownedm_c2ccf15.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/11/29/f_ownedm_c2ccf15.jpg&srv=img03)

Buddy Holly
11-29-2008, 09:11 AM
http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3689/hillcr3.png

manufor3
11-29-2008, 10:17 AM
http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/3689/hillcr3.png

wow, and chalmbers is getting more minutes...
I knew he wasnt that good

picnroll
11-29-2008, 10:24 AM

I think Chalmers should make it in the league as a solid back up PG on a good team or a starting PG on a bad team. Hill however should make it as a starting PG on good team. Spurs got s steal, right Mr Body?

Hills FT shooting, which is pure net, says to me he's going to develop a very good outside shot.

exstatic
11-29-2008, 11:18 AM
What is it with Sacramento overstating their player's heights? They've been doing it since Webber. Donte Greene measured 6'9" at the combine, and suddenly he's 6'11"?

K-State Spur
11-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I think Chalmers should make it in the league as a solid back up PG on a good team or a starting PG on a bad team. Hill however should make it as a starting PG on good team. Spurs got s steal, right Mr Body?

Hills FT shooting, which is pure net, says to me he's going to develop a very good outside shot.

Chalmers is kind of performing to the high end of expectations...in way. He's adjusted to the NBA 3 point line and he's playing pretty solid defense most of the time.

On the other hand, he hasn't adjusted that well to being a PG (for reference, look at every time KU tried to play him at the point*). He has some good statistical nights, but - typically - their offense doesn't look overly smooth when he's in charge.

* Chalmers was a different case than Hill. Hill always played off the ball in college. He's going to continue to get better as he gets even more experience playing with the ball in his hands most of the time. Meanwhile, Bill Self WANTED (at times, NEEDED) Mario to be a PG when he came to KU - and the results were terrible. Chalmers never really got it together until Sherron Collins came in to the run the point and allowed Chalmers to move off the ball.

honestfool84
11-29-2008, 03:53 PM
where's the OP now?

:lol

anakha
11-29-2008, 07:13 PM
where's the OP now?

Um, the OP is a confirmed Hill fan. That first post was pure sarcasm.

My bumpage was due to the insinuations that Donte Greene > Hill. :p:

timaios
11-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Um, the OP is a confirmed Hill fan. That first post was pure sarcasm.

My bumpage was due to the insinuations that Donte Greene > Hill. :p:

The OP is a FRIEND of George Hill. :toast

jayc23
11-29-2008, 07:19 PM
where's the OP now?

.... ya ... I've known Hill for many years, we were child hood friends and grew up together.. This article is about me and George's youth, I'm Jeremiah Chlumsky aka Jayc as mentioned in this article of Hill http://magazine.iupui.edu/08Summer/george_hill/

duncan228
11-29-2008, 08:00 PM
This article is about me and George's youth, I'm Jeremiah Chlumsky aka Jayc as mentioned in this article of Hill

Nice article, thanks for posting the link.

rascal
11-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Frederic Weis was the biggest draft blunder in recent memory, with Kandiman a close second. :lmao

Darko was a worse mistake. Passing up on Carmelo Anthony for that stiff.

rascal
11-29-2008, 08:57 PM

Hills numbers will be coming down some with Parker back.

jayc23
03-11-2010, 05:11 PM
ahh the good ole days of draft nite, and me defending george against doubters, I miss this board running 2 businesses and getting married kept me out of interaction with this awesome community , i miss segu bashing george

Blackjack
03-11-2010, 05:15 PM
I was wondering what happened to you. :lol

Congrats on the marriage.:toast

TDMVPDPOY
03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
well its still not late to whip out that xxx ghill pics and start comparing the pair...hahahaha

jayc23
03-11-2010, 05:38 PM
lol. I remember when those first appeared and someone on spurs talk posted about it ,and me and another guy attacked the blog admin like we were george's agent and they pulled the post within like an hour, he didn't hide from it this time around. that was fucked up... --- I talked with him about getting it pulled this summer when his fiance was there and she didn't know about it.. and he changed the subject real quick... she found out this time around .. lol ... whatever hes got more pressing issues to attend to now that TP's down than sex pics.... its sad.. Ken Rod from Spurs.com interviewed me a couple days before the pics went live and his first article was supposed to be about George's youth and my family, and what George was doing in the community, but the whole sex tape misjudgement kinda put that article on the back burner... I'm sure it will come out once that has passed into the obscurity of youthful fuck ups of pro rookie athletes.

jayc23
03-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I was wondering what happened to you. :lol

Congrats on the marriage.:toast

appreciate it man - Looking forward to getting more active on here again

jjktkk
03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
well its still not late to whip out that xxx ghill pics and start comparing the pair...hahahaha

:rollin

jimo2305
03-11-2010, 07:32 PM
lol im so glad we got hill..

i remember when we drafted and i was like "who!?!?"

ShoogarBear
03-11-2010, 08:57 PM
ahh the good ole days of draft nite, and me defending george against doubters, I miss this board running 2 businesses and getting married kept me out of interaction with this awesome community , i miss segu bashing george

You really have been away. Sequ has dumped Tony Parker for Hill as his nominal "best Spur".

z0sa
03-11-2010, 09:01 PM
You really have been away. Sequ has dumped Tony Parker for Hill as his nominal "best Spur".

Sequ's no Popsucker!!

Gino2882
03-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I have to admit Hill has become one of my favorite players and a HUGE part of this Spurs team.

I wanted Nicolas Batum or Donte Greene, and would still take Batum over Hill, but George is a really solid player.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
03-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Just read the OP again...

Would the OP rather have CDR or Mario Chalmers now? :lmao

angelbelow
03-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Just read the OP again...

Would the OP rather have CDR or Mario Chalmers now? :lmao

He was being sarcastic. Hes a huge Hill fan.

Bender
03-11-2010, 09:31 PM
oh yeah I remember this.

I forgot all about mrspurs, whatever happened to that guy? "mrs spurs" to most of us from what I remember. He was always putting everybody on ignore... :lol

OP is a hill fan, he was imitating sequ, which he stated at the end of his post.

IronMexican
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
RuffnReady is gonna need some surgery for that ruptured choad he has received.

spurtech09
03-12-2010, 12:48 AM
o brother

03-12-2010, 01:23 AM
He was being sarcastic. Hes a huge Hill fan.
true, didn't he claim to be one of hill's friends?

timtonymanu
03-12-2010, 03:43 AM
fail at some of the people not understanding the sarcasm of the OP. it shows how much people just read the title instead of the post itself.

Hill has been an amazing pickup. He just needs to work on his defense and being confident. He's a great offensive player though.

Horry For 3!
03-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Chalmers gets limited playing time with the Heat while Hill is becoming a star. When Chalmers did get playing time this year, he didn't do much with it.

Slippy
03-12-2010, 04:06 AM
Hill looks like a vet out there. Playing his role to a tee and has hit some big shots for this team. If i had to nit-pick , he gets a bit complacent on D even though he's got the tools to be a great defender. We all know thats part of the learning curve.

lurker23
03-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Just saw this blurb via Yahoo Fantasy Sports; since this is the currently active Hill thread, figured I'd post it here.

"G George Hill had a fine rookie season, but the numbers he's putting up this season, especially since he became a full-time starter on Jan. 18, might have him in line for Most Improved Player consideration. Wednesday marked his 23rd consecutive game as a starter. Of course, now he's playing point guard instead of shooting guard due to Tony Parker's injury. Hill's numbers are off the charts as a starter compared to when he came off the bench. One obvious reason is his minutes have increased to 35.3 a game from 24.6. In the last 22 games as starter, he's averaged 16.2 points compared to 9.5 in the previous 39 games, 35 of which he came off the bench. Out of the 60 players drafted in the 2008 NBA Draft, Hill is posting the third-highest improvement in scoring average from his rookie to his sophomore season. Hill has started fewer games than his top five counterparts -- Danilo Gallinari, Brook Lopez, Chris Douglas-Roberts and Donte Greene -- and is the only player to be on a team that currently has a winning record.
(Yahoo! Sports)"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4488/news;_ylt=AlCWCg_kzjIUmHYLm9IuAHDlPaB4

lurker23
03-12-2010, 04:46 AM
Oh, and George Hill has absolutely owned many people on this board, including several in this thread. Great job sticking by your friend, jayc23. . :tu

ChumpDumper
03-12-2010, 05:46 AM
:tu

jayc23
03-13-2010, 01:31 PM
George Hill is like my brother, Ken Rodriguez from spurs.com interviewed my family on a story paralleling the childhood and life of me and George to the movie blindside. My mother Home schooled George for 2 years in middle school when he was getting into fights and struggling. and he has a room to this day in our family home, he basically lived with my family for a few years. .

I am Jeremiah Chlumsky, mentioned in the article, My family moved into the inner city when I was 6 years old to help inner city youth who were struggling and were in rec centers and community programs, I was struggling in a violent and hostile environment when I was 10, being the only white in a 99% black area trying to fit in and play ball, and George befriended me and we became like brothers.. i posted this link before but its a small ball school magazine posting.http://magazine.iupui.edu/08Summer/george_hill/. Ken Rod, is supposedly going to be releasing one on spurs.com , but I think George's xxx antics overshadowed his community work for the time being.

Thanks for all those that supported George when everyone doubted his ability.. and those that support him in his continued growth as a pro and helping the spurs be successful again.

timtonymanu
03-13-2010, 08:07 PM
George Hill is like my brother, Ken Rodriguez from spurs.com interviewed my family on a story paralleling the childhood and life of me and George to the movie blindside. My mother Home schooled George for 2 years in middle school when he was getting into fights and struggling. and he has a room to this day in our family home, he basically lived with my family for a few years. .

I am Jeremiah Chlumsky, mentioned in the article, My family moved into the inner city when I was 6 years old to help inner city youth who were struggling and were in rec centers and community programs, I was struggling in a violent and hostile environment when I was 10, being the only white in a 99% black area trying to fit in and play ball, and George befriended me and we became like brothers.. i posted this link before but its a small ball school magazine posting.http://magazine.iupui.edu/08Summer/george_hill/. Ken Rod, is supposedly going to be releasing one on spurs.com , but I think George's xxx antics overshadowed his community work for the time being.

Thanks for all those that supported George when everyone doubted his ability.. and those that support him in his continued growth as a pro and helping the spurs be successful again.

god bless you and your family. you did a great job of helping george out. if you met george today, you wouldn't think he had this type of lifestyle.

Bukefal
03-13-2010, 08:42 PM

That's awesome! Interesting article too! :toast
Do you still have a close friendship with george?

Crosherelooms
03-13-2010, 09:38 PM

:downspin:

jayc23
03-14-2010, 01:02 AM
That's awesome! Interesting article too! :toast
Do you still have a close friendship with george?

We talk from time to time through out the year, and see each other during the summer, but both of our lives of late have been exploding in different directions , me building more traditional business success and starting a family, and he becoming a celebrity, but hes the same kid I met 11 years ago, and I spend a bit of time with his mother.. hes taken good care of her in his rise towards stardom.

007nites
03-14-2010, 01:39 AM
14 and 11 is pretty good!

LeCrab
12-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Bump rofl @ mario chalmers

Cant_Be_Faded
12-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Never forget how pissed I was hearing we drafted this guy when Chalmers was available.

Wow I was fuckin ignorant.

DPG21920
12-12-2010, 06:49 PM
I liked the Hill pick. I liked Chalmers, still do, but I was cool with the pick. The only time I have been disappointed was for the Spurs not making a move for Hibbert. I remember arguing left and right with people about Roy during the draft.

TDMVPDPOY
12-12-2010, 06:51 PM
is chalmers still in the league? lmao

as for batum....his good, but anyone can look good on that blazers team...

jag
12-12-2010, 06:51 PM
RuffnReady is gonna need some surgery for that ruptured choad he has received.

:lmao

DMC
12-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Never forget how pissed I was hearing we drafted this guy when Chalmers was available.

Wow I was fuckin ignorant.

Yeah, but that was then. You have since improved to just uninformed. :p:

wildbill2u
12-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't know if many people went back and read this thread from the start in July through the season last year to today. I did.

Some folks ought to apologize to the FO, Pop and George Hill.

ShoogarBear
12-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Bump rofl @ mario chalmers

roflroflrofl @ Donte Greene

TJastal
12-13-2010, 02:59 AM
I don't know if many people went back and read this thread from the start in July through the season last year to today. I did.

Some folks ought to apologize to the FO, Pop and George Hill.

Most people at the time were fixated on getting a SF as a greater need than backup PG, myself included. Getting a talented big man to play next to Duncan was also a bigger priority.

I'll give Popovich big credit (and an apology regarding Hill), he saw a player he liked and drafted him ahead of more pressing needs. And as it turned out it was the best decision possible. I've never had too much of a problem with Gregg Popovich, GM of the spurs, aside from the Scola thing and perhaps the Bogans signing. He does find alot of talented guys in the draft. It's his coaching that sometimes leave me scratching my head, and IMO Pop's main strength is constructing teams as opposed to coaching them. But he is a still a very good coach in most respects. :toast

Regarding Hill, he has grown as a player in leaps and bounds. Plus he has been a great fit as a speedy combo guard who can play and defend either position. Over the last two years he has quietly become my favorite player in the league.

I just hope he starts taking a page out of Ginobili's passing playbook, and I honestly think he will. Right now it looks like he's still developing his offensive game, and it appears there is quite a bit of room to grow in that area. So it might be awhile before he gets around to passing the ball. :lol But once he starts adding some playmaking to go with it he'll be the complete package.

ShoogarBear
12-13-2010, 04:26 AM
The reason for that, and the truth is, SF and a big man were a bigger priority than backup PG at the time.

The proof of that is that the Spurs still don't really have a backup PG.

mosdef17
12-13-2010, 06:10 AM
I still think you go for the best player available. Even if that means having a backlog at certain positions. Too many times have teams gone for need and completely stuffed things up. If the Bulls went for need two years ago their current starting lineup would be Hinrich, Bogans, Deng, Beasley, Noah... enough said. Jordan may have gone to Portland? You have to get the best player and just find room for him.

Calavera
12-13-2010, 06:49 AM
I still think you go for the best player available. Even if that means having a backlog at certain positions. Too many times have teams gone for need and completely stuffed things up. If the Bulls went for need two years ago their current starting lineup would be Hinrich, Bogans, Deng, Beasley, Noah... enough said. Jordan may have gone to Portland? You have to get the best player and just find room for him.

if the best player available is Jordan - ok, but if the differance is not so huge why risking your team chemistry and stuff... It's not every year that we see players like Jordan in the draft. :)