PDA

View Full Version : Unsettled Diaw ponders future with Hawks

Kori Ellis
02-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Unsettled Diaw ponders future with Hawks

PARIS (Eurobasket) - Atlanta Hawks' French international Boris Diaw believes his lack of playing time with the NBA side could threaten his participation at this year's Eurobasket, and admitted he is thinking about leaving his club if the situation does not change soon.

The 22-year-old former Pau-Orthez talent, who joined the Hawks in 2003, enjoyed a good debut year under the coaching of Terry Stotts, but has failed to convince new boss Mike Woodson, who took charge at the start of the current season.

Despite making a short appearance this week in Atlanta's match against Orlando following the injury to Josh Smith, Diaw is aware his situation is not likely to change as Woodson has accused him of not being efficient and combative enough.

"I started the season as a first-team member but I rapidly found myself on the bench - apparently I don't live up to the coach's expectations," said Diaw.

"I don't bring enough to the team. Woodson also blamed me for not being combative and said that if I wanted to play in the NBA I had to score points.

"I have heard this reproach every day, when I go to the supermarket to buy tomatoes, the fans tell me I must shoot.

"I got it from journalists, friends or other players but rarely from my coaches. Usually they are happy to have a player like me who prefers to help his team-mates play.

"My role is badly understood. Last year the coach (Stotts) and the manager (Billy Knight) hired my services for good reasons.

"Both played in France and they knew the European system. They understood my role and knew what I could bring to the team. But Woodson does not."

In the long term Diaw admits he cannot see himself sticking with the situation.

He is worried such a scenario could cost him a place with France at the European Championships in September and hints he could leave.

"This idea has crossed my mind since I am not playing," Diaw added in L'Equipe. "The most important thing for a player is to play and I want to play.

"If at some point I am really sure I will not be able to express myself here then I will have to find a solution because it's no good for me or the team.

"I also think this situation could be prejudicial for me on an international level. I keep training and I hope I will have reached a good level this summer."

France coach Claude Bergeaud, who is currently in the United States to visit his French NBA players - San Antonio Spurs' Tony Parker, San Francisco's Mickael Pietrus and Diaw, hinted last week he could ask Diaw to play with the under-21 side to help him regain a competitive edge.

"In my current situation I would accept anything," said Diaw. "I can't refuse any playing time."

Meanwhile, Diaw is convinced France - who are in Group C and will face Greece, Slovenia and Bosnia-Herzegovina in the first stage of the Eurobasket, can win the competition, which will be held in Belgrade from September 15 to 25.

"There can't be any other objective for France than a final win," he said. "It was the same two years ago. So we must do all we can to reach that objective.

"In September (during the qualifying campaign) Bergeaud managed to create a united and competitive team. I trust Claude to keep that spirit."
Diaw was one of the main leaders during the qualifying campaign last year whereas Parker and Pietrus preferred not to play and concentrate on their NBA sides.

"I felt it was my role at the time to take those responsibilities," he said. "I tried to give my best to my team.

"If my role in September is to cross the ball I will do it, if I have to play and score, that's what I'll do.

"But in September, with Parker and Mike, we will have different offensive weapons."

http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/news/latest_news_article.asp?r_act_news=5638&r_cat=8