biba
07-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Catching up with Matt Bonner

Sharing time, thoughts
Back home after NBA season, Bonner hosts clinic, camps, bands

By GAVIN FARETRA
Concord Monitor
July 19, 2008

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080719/SPORTS/807190306&template=single

Matt Bonner sat on a small bench in the Rundlett Middle School lobby, a full 3 feet taller than the little girl that was seated next to him. They waited patiently for the girl's father, who was called after she took sick during running drills at Bonner's basketball camp on an exceptionally humid morning.

"Don't do anything that you don't want to do," Bonner said to her as she slouched on the bench. "We want you to work hard, but don't push yourself beyond your means. Don't ever forget, this is supposed to be fun."

And that's exactly what Bonner, who recently wrapped up his second season with the NBA's San Antonio Spurs, provided at his week-long camp for local kids ranging from ages 8-16. The camp, which finished yesterday, was conducted by several Division I college players, including Matt's brother Luke, a senior at the University of Massachusetts. Matt Bonner also invited a dozen or so local high school players to help out.

"When I was younger and went to various camps, I always looked up to the kids that played for local high school and college teams," Bonner said. "That's what I wanted to provide at this camp ... that same type of environment.

"The big thing with basketball camp is that we want kids to work hard and have fun," Bonner said. "The biggest point is that it is basketball camp, but we also teach you the skills you need to be successful in life, and that's really important to us."

The camp is sandwiched between the Bonner brothers' 2nd Annual Sneakers and Speakers event. The sneakers portion involved a day-long free basketball clinic, which was held last Saturday at the Concord Boys & Girls Club. The speakers segment is tonight, when three bands - The Felice Brothers, Edan and Wild Light - take the stage as part of the conclusion of Market Days on Main Street.

"The obvious is to do a charity basketball game, but that's not us," Matt Bonner said. "We love basketball, we love music. ... Let's try to combine them, and we do the free clinic for the kids and bring some great music to Concord for the Boys and Girls Club."

While Bonner spends these days living in San Antonio, the Concord High graduate still clings to his New Hampshire roots. The Monitor took the opportunity to talk to Bonner about how he's spending his summer, what he thought about the Celtics winning the NBA title and what it means to be back home:

What's your favorite thing to do when you come back to Concord?

I love going to Funspot, getting some ice cream from Summer Freeze, and obviously visit with my parents. I have a place up in the mountains I like to go to. I mean my roots are here in Concord, but living in New Hampshire I love to go up to the lakes and mountains.

What did you think of the Boston Celtics winning the NBA title?

They deserved it; they were the best team all year. I remember when they acquired Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett and the first thing I said was that they are going to be very tough to beat if they stay healthy. I was surprised how easily they handled (the Lakers), especially with how good a ball Kobe was playing against us, and it just didn't carry over into the Finals. He's the MVP, but if he's not on top of his game it makes it a lot harder.

It would have been so awesome if we had gotten the chance to play (the Celtics) in the Finals. It's funny because when the Celtics were making all those trades, my friends were calling me saying it's going to be Spurs/Celtics in the Finals.

What's the toughest loss of your career so far at any level?

I would say they were both in college when I was at Florida: My last college game to Michigan State in the second round of the NCAA tournament my senior year, knowing my college career was over. I'd also say the loss in double overtime on a buzzer-beater to Creighton during my junior season ranks pretty high up there, too.

What's the last movie you saw in theaters?

Hellboy II at the good old Sony Theaters. I couldn't believe it was even still there.

What was the last book you read?

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It took me forever to read it because it was so long and it started to drag on, but I finally finished it.

What celebrity or non-basketball entity have you met during your career has really stood out to you?

In this year's conference finals in Los Angeles I sat at the end of the bench, and the next seat over is a regular fan, and it happened to be (actor) Andy Garcia. That was pretty cool. We were talking basketball. He's a really nice guy and actually had some really intelligent things to say about the game.

Who is your favorite non-NBA pro athlete?

I'm a big Josh Beckett fan. He's actually a San Antonio fan because that's where he lives in the offseason, so he comes to a lot of our games. Of course I have to throw Bode Miller in there too.

What is the toughest thing you've had to endure throughout your basketball career?

My first year, when I played in Italy. I was drafted by the Toronto Raptors but played in Italy, and while I was over there, (the Raptors) head coach and GM who drafted me got fired. The Raptors still had my rights, but when I came back I had to start from scratch and prove myself to new people who didn't even draft me. I had to go through the whole process, from bottom to top, beginning with summer league, then training camp.

I remember like three days before training camp, I had worked real hard in summer league to get ready for training camp and I sprained some ligaments in my knee that would keep me out for a week, which was all of training camp. I was getting good offers from Europe, but the question was do I try to make this team or do I do the safe thing and go play in Europe. I made the decision that my dream was to play in the NBA, not in Europe, so I just went for it and I made the team

What's it like to play with the likes of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili? How big an influence are they on your game?

They're an influence on my game, but more as a person. To see superstars like that be normal guys, humble guys, positive influences on the community and true teammates is more important to me than how they are as basketball players.

What's the go-to song or band on the iPod right now?

The Felice Brothers, who are coming to the concert (tonight).

What's the vehicle of choice these days?

I got my Pontiac Grand Prix and my GMC Acadia that I got from Banks Chevrolet.

Have you given any thought to who the next president of the United States will be?

It's funny because I am actually pretty good friends with John McCain's daughter. I like McCain and I think he's a really good guy, but policy-wise I like Barack Obama.

What's your favorite thing to do in the offseason to get away from basketball?

I like to hike and walk around. If I'm in the city I like to just walk around, but (I also) like to head out to the mountains or go on various hikes.

What's the best piece of advice you've ever receieved?

You reap what you sew. If you sum up everything, boil everything you need to do to be successful into one phrase, that would be it.

What's your favorite vacation spot?

I haven't been on a vacation since I was 11 years old. My family and I went up to York Beach, Maine. That was fun, but it's been a while.

Outside of winning an NBA championship, what's been the biggest thrill for you so far in your career?

Playing in the Final Four. I mean there are a lot of things that have been exciting. Stepping on to an NBA floor for the first time, scoring my first basket, winning three straight championships in high school ... I mean I would even go back to winning my first championship with the Boys and Girls Club in the Manchester Suburban League when I was in fourth grade.

Who, in your opinion, is the best player in the NBA?

Kobe Bryant. I don't even think it's close.

When all is said and done, could you ever see yourself coming back to Concord and coaching basketball at Concord High School?

I like working with younger kids better. If you pick them up when they're in high school they have a lot more bad habits. I like the concept of coaching kids when they're younger and shaping good habits before they really get into it.

ceperez
07-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Real class act.

If only Pop would play him more.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
07-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Real class act.

If only Pop would play him more.

class doesnt equal PT...look at Kobe

Solid D
07-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Nice insight to Matt's life and summer break. I guess he isn't calling this his summer vacation, eh? One editorial correction to Gavin's article: it should be "you reap what you sow" instead of "you reap what you sew". Either Gavin isn't familiar with farming or he just misspelled sow.

wijayas
07-19-2008, 08:48 AM
class doesnt equal PT...look at Kobe

:toast

wijayas
07-19-2008, 08:53 AM

What's it like to play with the likes of Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili? How big an influence are they on your game?

They're an influence on my game, but more as a person. To see superstars like that be normal guys, humble guys, positive influences on the community and true teammates is more important to me than how they are as basketball players.

Matt got it!

SequSpur
07-19-2008, 11:32 AM
:lmao

duncan228
07-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks for posting this biba. Bonner's character fits this team. Nice read.

Anti.Hero
07-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Obama. I thought Matt was intelligent.

You're dead to me Bonner.

jason1301
07-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Who, in your opinion, is the best player in the NBA?

Kobe Bryant. I don't even think it's close.

yeah right :sleep

ashbeeigh
07-19-2008, 02:18 PM
yeah right :sleep

I think he was gaurding him the day Kobe went off for the bazillion points.