PDA

View Full Version : Malik Hairston

ceperez
07-19-2008, 07:02 AM
So far, Malik Hairston, hasn't been too impressive this Summer League.

Maybe it's his position at SG that doesn't give him much opportunities.

I mean, Hill gets the ball all the time, Mahinmi get's passed the ball in as one of the primary options and Gist finds a way to get to the ball both offensively and defensively. Hairston however seems to get the ball only on a fast break. He however seems to finish very well and seems to have a great handle on the ball.

However, guys like Hairston are a dime a dozen in the pros. I mean there's a guy just like him, Dahtay Jones that just lit up the scoreboard with 29 points yesterday ( http://www.nba.com/summerleague2008/players/index.jsp?player=dahntay_jones) with a average of 21 ppg.

So I'm just wondering, where does a guy like this fit in the Spurs roster?

Extra Stout
07-19-2008, 08:35 AM
He doesn't.

wildbill2u
07-19-2008, 08:43 AM
So far, Malik Hairston, hasn't been too impressive this Summer League.

So I'm just wondering, where does a guy like this fit in the Spurs roster?

As far as success in the pros, looking at the past history of players drafted in the bottom third of the FIRST round, only about 20% survive to play even one game. Fewer than that become regular rotation players and a miniscule number become starters.

For players drafted in the SECOND round like Hairston, the odds against them go up exponentially.

So it wouldn't be surprising if NONE of our three draftees succeed. In fact, if one or two make the roster and actually contribute they will be beating long odds.

The answer: Don't get your hopes up too far on any of these guys. It's a long hard jump from college to summer league to the NBA.

ceperez
07-19-2008, 10:15 AM
So it wouldn't be surprising if NONE of our three draftees succeed. In fact, if one or two make the roster and actually contribute they will be beating long odds.

The answer: Don't get your hopes up too far on any of these guys. It's a long hard jump from college to summer league to the NBA.

Last year we signed (and later waived) Marcus Williams. The two things going for him was that he had long arms and had a good word ethic. He wasn't athletic nor was he a good offensive threat.

Don't know if Hairston has the defense or the attitude to even be considered signing. In fact, for a SG that's 6'4" he definitely is undersized. Don't know why we even drafted him when there were plenty other players that are serviceable.

He definitely appears to be history.

ducks
07-19-2008, 10:18 AM
so hill makes Hairston suck and is a ball hog

wow

TheProfessor
07-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Last year we signed (and later waived) Marcus Williams. The two things going for him was that he had long arms and had a good word ethic. He wasn't athletic nor was he a good offensive threat.

Don't know if Hairston has the defense or the attitude to even be considered signing. In fact, for a SG that's 6'4" he definitely is undersized. Don't know why we even drafted him when there were plenty other players that are serviceable.

He definitely appears to be history.
What you see in SL is only a bastardized simulacrum of the Spurs' system, with guys jacking up shots and playing out of sync. While that chaotic environment has been good for some (Gist, who can dominate athletically), Malik has struggled without structure. His scouting report never had him as a guy who could take over a facet of the game, but contribute in many. In other words, a system role player. If he makes it to training camp, which will probably happen, that's where real improvement will show. Otherwise, he goes the way of Marcus Williams, who's done fairly well in some SL games for the Clippers and likely earned a roster spot.

exstatic
07-19-2008, 10:43 AM
As far as success in the pros, looking at the past history of players drafted in the bottom third of the FIRST round, only about 20% survive to play even one game. Fewer than that become regular rotation players and a miniscule number become starters.

For players drafted in the SECOND round like Hairston, the odds against them go up exponentially.

I think a lot of what you say has merit, but I disagree on some of it. I would be surprised if none of our draftees make it this year. Barry is already gone, and it looks like Fin will be too. That's two swing players gone, and only Mason brought in. I think at least two of them will make the 15 man roster, because unlike most years, we have the roster spots to develop them. I'm thinking Hill makes the 12 man roster and Gist makes the 15 man roster and shuttles to Austin like Mahinmi did last year. Udoka and Mason will take the vacated rotation spots, and Hill may at some point take Vaughn's, but probably not until a few months go by.

ceperez
07-19-2008, 11:53 AM
I think a lot of what you say has merit, but I disagree on some of it. I would be surprised if none of our draftees make it this year. Barry is already gone, and it looks like Fin will be too. That's two swing players gone, and only Mason brought in. I think at least two of them will make the 15 man roster, because unlike most years, we have the roster spots to develop them. I'm thinking Hill makes the 12 man roster and Gist makes the 15 man roster and shuttles to Austin like Mahinmi did last year. Udoka and Mason will take the vacated rotation spots, and Hill may at some point take Vaughn's, but probably not until a few months go by.

Yup, the depth charts are too promising for a new recruit, here's a 15 man roster:

C Oberto, Mahinmi, Thomas(FA)
PF Duncan, Bonner, Horry (FA)
SF Bowen, Udoka, Gist (R)
SG Ginobili, Mason, Finley (FA)
PG Parker, Hill (R), Vaughn

Don't know where a player like Hairston fits in this scheme. This doesn't include other former callups like:

DeMarr Johnson
Keith Langford (8.5ppg SL)
Bobby Jones ( 8ppg SL)
Jeremy Richardson

Making the Spurs roster is going to be extremely tough. One can only hope that we don't resign all our 3 FA's and we don't pick another player from free agency.

jag
07-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Demarr Johnson > Hairston

It's a shame what he did to himself this offseason.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2008, 01:33 PM
If Hairston is good enough to make the team it's gravy. Next year's GS pick was the important part of that trade.

Hollinger
07-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Barring an explosive showing at the RMR, it seems Hairston's only shot at making the Spurs roster is if Finley doesn't come back, and even then it seems like a real long shot.

ChumpDumper
07-19-2008, 01:42 PM
He'll get a chance in training camp, however slight.

wildbill2u
07-19-2008, 02:03 PM

I agree that I may be too pesimistic considering the roster slots that MAY be open IF Pop is fully committed to getting us younger which would mean adios to guys like Finley and Horry.

But I wake up screaming from a nightmare that they have average SL, RMR and camps and Pop backs away from a youth movement, giving us more Horry, Finley, Vaughn, Stoudamire and their like in the vain hope that they'd get us past the WCF. I don't think a replay of last year's team with Mason replacing Barry is gonna do it.

I'm even on the fence about Thomas considering his age next season (36) and the fact that his playing time was reduced exponentially in the playoffs because Pop obviously felt he couldn't keep up with the competition of younger more athletic players. We'll probably make him an offer to shore up the front line, but that doesn't mean he's the guy I'd like to see in that postion in the rotation out of all the PFs in the league.

In the West, if you don't get better, you'll fare worse. I'm cool with a down season for one year if we go 'younger' with a couple of quality rooks, Ian and Mason because we'd be looking for better things down the road, rather than playing out the string with the status quo.

Marcus Bryant
07-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Should the Spurs sign another swingman they will still have two open spots on IR. It's not hard to see them sign both Hairston and Gist for those spots, unless they are set on carrying more of a pure 5 type as the 6th big.

rascal
07-21-2008, 05:54 AM
Hairston will not make a roster spot or a spot on IR.

mountainballer
07-21-2008, 07:04 AM
I do think that Hairston is much better than most label him. he wasn't impressive overall, but there were some moments, when it was obvious, that the talent and the tools would be there. as mentioned, this guy might just need a structure and a defined role, because otherwise his passive nature doesn't allow him to get into the game.
there were some moments, either on offense and also on defense, when I thought, if he can do this all the time he's on the court, he will be a good player, especially considering the profile of a typical Spurs role player.
so, if the coaches can teach him to constantly bring what he already can do, I see a future for him with the spurs.

rascal
07-21-2008, 08:36 AM
I do think that Hairston is much better than most label him. he wasn't impressive overall, but there were some moments, when it was obvious, that the talent and the tools would be there. as mentioned, this guy might just need a structure and a defined role, because otherwise his passive nature doesn't allow him to get into the game.
there were some moments, either on offense and also on defense, when I thought, if he can do this all the time he's on the court, he will be a good player, especially considering the profile of a typical Spurs role player.
so, if the coaches can teach him to constantly bring what he already can do, I see a future for him with the spurs.

A passive nature is not good when you have limited time to impress.

wisnub
07-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I SHOULD SAY WE GIVE UP ON HAIRSTON...or send him to d league. either way is fine. We need proven player not a project. West is getting tougher, it is time to show em that spurs can repeat (or do the best to get another championship if the odd years thing still going on)

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I SHOULD SAY WE GIVE UP ON HAIRSTON...or send him to d league.

:lol