PDA

View Full Version : Argentina won the U18 Fiba Americas Championship Beating USA

chasky
07-19-2008, 09:43 AM
http://www.fibaamericas.com/noticiasread_us.asp?r=KLZVOMNLBX

FORMOSA (FIBA Americas U18 Championship) - Argentina won the Gold medal in the 2008 FIBA Americas U18 Championship after beating USA 77-64 in the final game played at Polideportivo Cincuentenario of Formosa.

USA had the lead during the start of the game after a basket by Kemba Walker that gave them a 9-6 edge with 6:41 left. After that Argentina made a 14-2 run to take a 20-11 end finish up 26-18.

The second quarter was low in scoring for both teams and Argentina maintained a 35-28 lead.

The third quarter was key for Argentina as they made an 11-0 run to take a 53-36 lead, their biggest in the game after a basket by Pablo Orlietti with 2:44. Argentina had a 59-43 lead after three quarters.

In the final quarter Argentina maintained a double digit advantage and won their first Gold medal in this tournament.

Mateo gaynor and Juan Fernandez led the winners with 16 points each while Matias Nocedal netted 15 each.

For USA Kemba Walker led with 21 points and 3 assists and was selected the MVP of the tournament.

Champions in the history of the FIBA Americas U18 Championship:

2008: Argentina
2006: USA
2002: Puerto Rico
1998: USA
1994: USA
1990: USA

Here is the teams

Argentina: http://www.fibaamericas.com/torneos_roster_us.asp?t=FPVIWCZCXY&team=237&n=Argentina&c=ARG

USA: http://www.fibaamericas.com/torneos_roster_us.asp?t=FPVIWCZCXY&team=379&n=United%20States%20of%20America&c=USA

if you know the usa players tell me, what is his level?

Cheers

Carlos

urunobili
07-19-2008, 11:34 AM
Nocedal has been compared to Gilbert Arenas and already plays for TAU being just 17.... Juan Fernandez will start playing on Tempe university... this generation could reach similar heights to this one... props for getting this tournament for the first time... NONE of the current argentina NT members won this...

chasky
07-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Nocedal has been compared to Gilbert Arenas and already plays for TAU being just 17.... Juan Fernandez will start playing on Tempe university... this generation could reach similar heights to this one... props for getting this tournament for the first time... NONE of the current argentina NT members won this...

I know well thw argentine players, but i don't know how good was the usa team how they beat.

GrandeDavid
07-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Wow, so much for that article I read in some major news outlet some months ago saying that these were Argentina's glory years, that there isn't nearly the level and depth of talent as is present on the national team of Manu Ginobili. Looks like Argentina is in it to win it long term.

tempest186
07-19-2008, 11:44 AM
I'm happy Canada finished third. Hopefully we can improve our position and make it back to the Olympics for 2012.

urunobili
07-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow, so much for that article I read in some major news outlet some months ago saying that these were Argentina's glory years, that there isn't nearly the level and depth of talent as is present on the national team of Manu Ginobili. Looks like Argentina is in it to win it long term.

i agree. they are on it for good and for real... what t will be said is that Manu's generation was the starter of it all... :toast

Brutalis
07-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Nobody cares.

urunobili
07-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Nobody cares.

are you sure? don;t you think it matters for the next american generations to get used to losing to Argentina?

Brutalis
07-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just don't come crying when your girls get sent home early this summer.

wisnub
07-21-2008, 11:42 AM
lets pick up nocedal or whoever is the best player on Argentina U18 team. let him sign up w/ some club....and this time dont hesitate to throw money to buy them back. Dont wait until dude come to draft coz we never gonna get him that way. No more Splitter scenario let his contract expire and being punk all over again. If we cant do this then no need for overseas scout, its just a waste of money...i think that is what we do best: Personal Finance (except from championship)

AnotherArgie
07-21-2008, 11:50 AM
lets pick up nocedal or whoever is the best player on Argentina U18 team. let him sign up w/ some club....and this time dont hesitate to throw money to buy them back. Dont wait until dude come to draft coz we never gonna get him that way. No more Splitter scenario let his contract expire and being punk all over again. If we cant do this then no need for overseas scout, its just a waste of money...i think that is what we do best: Personal Finance (except from championship)

Nocedal signed an 8 year contract with TAU in 2006.

endrity
07-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Glad to hear this. I also read that article that talked about how this generation of Argentinian players was an aberration, and there wasn't another one in the horizont. I hoped it was wrong, because despite who you root for, Argentina has been a pleasure to watch throughout this decade, starting in 2002.

p.s I would like to know however, how good this US team was. Anyone that does basketball scouting can tell us if these players are really the elite of American basketball for this age group.

urunobili
07-21-2008, 11:55 AM
i am not sure about Team USA U18 players... what i can tell you is that Argentina had never won this tournament before on this category... i don;t think Team USA may have decided just this year to bring less than what they're used to as they always win this...

MaNuMaNiAc
07-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just don't come crying when your girls get sent home early this summer.

what? crying like you girls were back in 04? nah, we don't normally do that

Manufan909
07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Pwned.

spurschick
07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
The U18 team that won the silver at the tournament here in San Antonio a few years back is on deck to start taking over the Olympic squad. With the win below, they qualified Argentina for the 2009 FIBA Americas Championships.

Roster
http://www.fibaamericas.com/torneos_roster_us.asp?t=QJGXOQNXNE&team=237&n=Argentina&c=ARG

PUERTO MONTT (South American Championship) - Argentina won their twelfth South American Championship by beating Uruguay 100-95 in the finals. Meanwhile Venezuela won Bronze by beating Brazil 87-72.

The Argentineans dominated the first quarter 28-21 as they made a 13-0 run in the middle part of the quarter to take a 24-14 lead.

At halftime Argentina had a 50-47 advantage where they had a 48-37 lead but Uruguay reacted to close the game.

In the second half Argentina dominated 76-63 and in the final quarter Uruguay tied the game at 83 with 3:56 left but Argentina made another run to win the title.

Paolo Quinteros led with 23 points while Diego Garcia netted 21 while Roman Gonzalez and Maximiliano Stanic scored 15 each.

In a losing effort Leandro Garcia Morales scored 33 points while Esteban Batista netted 18 points and grabbed 13 boards.

In the Bronze medal game Venezuela dominated Brazil 87-72 where Oscar Torres scored 26 points.

Brazil won the first quarter 19-18 but in the second quarter the Venezuelans took the lead and never looked back.

William Drudi led Brazil with 21 points.

urunobili
07-21-2008, 12:48 PM
The U18 team that won the silver at the tournament here in San Antonio a few years back is on deck to start taking over the Olympic squad. With the win below, they qualified Argentina for the 2009 FIBA Americas Championships.

Roster
http://www.fibaamericas.com/torneos_roster_us.asp?t=QJGXOQNXNE&team=237&n=Argentina&c=ARG

PUERTO MONTT (South American Championship) - Argentina won their twelfth South American Championship by beating Uruguay 100-95 in the finals. Meanwhile Venezuela won Bronze by beating Brazil 87-72.

The Argentineans dominated the first quarter 28-21 as they made a 13-0 run in the middle part of the quarter to take a 24-14 lead.

At halftime Argentina had a 50-47 advantage where they had a 48-37 lead but Uruguay reacted to close the game.

In the second half Argentina dominated 76-63 and in the final quarter Uruguay tied the game at 83 with 3:56 left but Argentina made another run to win the title.

Paolo Quinteros led with 23 points while Diego Garcia netted 21 while Roman Gonzalez and Maximiliano Stanic scored 15 each.

In a losing effort Leandro Garcia Morales scored 33 points while Esteban Batista netted 18 points and grabbed 13 boards.

In the Bronze medal game Venezuela dominated Brazil 87-72 where Oscar Torres scored 26 points.

Brazil won the first quarter 19-18 but in the second quarter the Venezuelans took the lead and never looked back.

William Drudi led Brazil with 21 points.
you should delete this post. this is related to Argentina's "B" team that won the south american championship defeating Uruguay.

the thread is about an Under 18 world cup qualifying event that took place in Argentina. please delete this it creates confusion or open a different thread for it.

timvp
07-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Those aren't even the best players from the US class. The top three players of that age group aren't on the team. Looks like a couple good prospects mixed in with some average prospects.

Basically an Argentina team that has played together forever beat a B team fielded by the US.

urunobili
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Those aren't even the best players from the US class. The top three players of that age group aren't on the team. Looks like a couple good prospects mixed in with some average prospects.

Basically an Argentina team that has played together forever beat a B team fielded by the US.
thanks timvp... we were so surprised with them winning this event for the first time that we were wondering the level of the US Squad...

wisnub
07-21-2008, 01:15 PM
thanks timvp. now i know that USA team is not that sucks

spurschick
07-21-2008, 08:44 PM
you should delete this post. this is related to Argentina's "B" team that won the south american championship defeating Uruguay.

the thread is about an Under 18 world cup qualifying event that took place in Argentina. please delete this it creates confusion or open a different thread for it.

I posted it in reference to GrandeDavid's post about Argentina being at the end of their "glory years". I don't think that talking about the future of the Argentine NT will confuse people at all.

Jlowd21
07-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Mason Plumlee from the US team is going to Duke after this year. He's ranked in the top 25 of his class on rivals.com. I dont know why it says he's from Indiana... He plays for a christian school in NC.

edit: nevermind, he's originally from Indiana. he lives in NC now

urunobili
07-22-2008, 06:47 AM
I posted it in reference to GrandeDavid's post about Argentina being at the end of their "glory years". I don't think that talking about the future of the Argentine NT will confuse people at all.

that 'B" team from argentina is not the future at all... they were all old scrubs from their league and 3, 4 additions the younglins were all playing in the tournament they won and what this thread is all about....

spurschick
07-22-2008, 08:58 AM
that 'B" team from argentina is not the future at all... they were all old scrubs from their league and 3, 4 additions the younglins were all playing in the tournament they won and what this thread is all about....

I really think you're making a bigger deal than it is. I was at the U18 tournament a few years back and the roster has since moved out of the U18 group. Seems to me that the future is what it is and that the best players will be chosen to represent as the years continue.

Hemotivo
07-22-2008, 09:26 AM
spurschick knows this kids better than you uru