PDA

View Full Version : JR Smith: I Haven't Heard from Anybody

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-19-2008, 11:58 AM
J.R. Smith isn't attracting any attention
Free-agent guard still waits to hear from other teams
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Friday, July 18, 2008

J.R. Smith hasn't received much more interest this summer than J.R. Rider.

If the Nuggets had fears of some team swooping in to sign the restricted free-agent guard to a big offer sheet, they can breathe easier.

Smith was asked Friday if he'd heard this summer from any other teams.

"Not yet," he said.

Wait a minute. You haven't heard from any teams having interest in signing you?

"I haven't heard from anybody," he said.

Smith said he hasn't gotten an offer from the Nuggets, other than the option to return next season for the $3.04 million qualifying offer. He said it's too early to say whether he might take that offer, which would enable him to become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

"I'm not sure yet. I'd have to go over that with my people," said Smith, who said he plans to talk to his representatives "at the end of the month."

Taking the qualifying offer could end up being Smith's best option. He turned down a three-year extension offer in October worth about $10 million, and there have been no indications the Nuggets are willing to offer a lot more.

Even if Smith were to be offered a multiyear deal starting at $4 million, taking the qualifying offer could allow him to increase his value for next summer. With most teams seeking to contain costs, teams don't seem willing this summer to possibly overpay for a restricted free agent to prevent the offer sheet from being matched within the allowable seven days.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/18/nuggets-only-team-to-show-interest-in-jr-smith

SenorSpur
07-19-2008, 12:04 PM
He might be better of accepting the 1-yr qualifying offer, hence allowing him to become a UFA next summer. He could then pick choose his destination from any potential suitors.

The benefit for the Spurs is they would likely be in a better position of freeing up more $$$ and would likely have a better shot at him then versus now.

benefactor
The way players have been overpaid this offseason, I am almost a little surprised he has not had the MLE thrown at him. He is not worth it, but he is worth more than Diop or Beno IMO. He is better off just taking the qualifying and going unrestricted next season.

And yes...I'd rather have Mason.

ducks
denver dumbing camby scared everyone off

BlackSwordsMan
07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Spurs can get him cheap then!

exstatic
07-19-2008, 12:16 PM
denver dumbing camby scared everyone off

That's actually looking like a much better move every day. Next year, they can just let AI roll off, and use that HUGE trade exception to get a young'un for their rotation, like Charlotte did with JRich last summer.

Kinda sucks for Smith, though.

T Park
07-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Yeah now that Camby's albatross is gone teams are way scared off to trade for him due to Denver just daring anyone to offer ANYTHING.

Take the 1 year quali, and be an UFA next year JR.

Spurs will have the MLE next year too :)

exstatic
07-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah now that Camby's albatross is gone teams are way scared off to trade for him due to Denver just daring anyone to offer ANYTHING.

Take the 1 year quali, and be an UFA next year JR.

Spurs will have the MLE next year too :)

Spurs won't spend the MLE next year. The min is 3 years, and you can make one an option, but that would drag the contract into 2011, minimum. They won't want it on the books in 2010.

If he'll sign an LLE contract with someone next summer, he can opt out in 2010 when everyone and their mother will have $$$

Ronaldo McDonald
07-19-2008, 12:25 PM
He'd be a great addition, but I highly doubt this guy would take the money the Spurs have to offer. He seems like the complete anithesis to a guy who would consider taking less than what he's worth to win.

oligarchy
07-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Spurs won't spend the MLE next year. The min is 3 years, and you can make one an option, but that would drag the contract into 2011, minimum. They won't want it on the books in 2010.

If he'll sign an LLE contract with someone next summer, he can opt out in 2010 when everyone and their mother will have $$$

3 year minimum for an MLE contract?

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#19

Twisted_Dawg
07-19-2008, 01:00 PM

The Spurs will NEVER offer a MLE to any player with a history of problems. Now they will gladly "drive before the buy" such as when they tried to trade for JR two years ago when he wasn't making anything and had only a couple of years left on that conttract. The same with Artest this past February when we inquired about trading for him....he only had one year left on a contract that pays $6.8 million. The last big FA contract was Dogsho's and we all know that was a huge mistake.

ElNono
07-19-2008, 01:04 PM
Forget about JR Smith in a Spurs uniform. This thread should be in NBA Basketball.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-19-2008, 01:05 PM
apparently this is just a smokescreen and he in fact has had an offer for 2 yrs/$14mil. If it's true, then im assuming its from a team who wants cap space come the summer of 2010. It doesn't make alot of sense though

This is only coming from someone on a forum, so it may be crap.

SPURSGOAT
07-19-2008, 01:07 PM
We don't need JR Smith we have GIST! :king

jag
07-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Maybe if he'd stop getting drunk and spitting on hookers he'd get a few offers.

SenorSpur
07-19-2008, 01:17 PM

:toast

Spurtacus
07-19-2008, 01:21 PM

The Truth #6
07-19-2008, 01:27 PM
apparently this is just a smokescreen and he in fact has had an offer for 2 yrs/$14mil. If it's true, then im assuming its from a team who wants cap space come the summer of 2010. It doesn't make alot of sense though

This is only coming from someone on a forum, so it may be crap.

I don't get what the smokescreen would be. And, I can't imagine someone offering him that contract. That's way above his value. Also, only a few teams can offer more than the MLE per year, right?

However, if it was posted on a forum then I'll assume that it has to be a fact.

Big P
07-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Memphis is the only one left with cap room...if he really did get a 2 year $14 mil offer, he would be stupid not to sign that ASAP & not care whether Denver matched or not.

Spurtacus
07-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Offer him the LLE, a championship, and the fine women of San Antonio. :lol

ducks
07-19-2008, 02:09 PM
if spurs flame out next year
smith takes the offer
spurs could offer him the full mle next year
if smith improves this season

Brutalis
07-19-2008, 02:15 PM
He's just fishing and bored is all.

angelbelow
07-19-2008, 03:22 PM
life is tough when youre a RFA and your team just cleared cap space.

Mr. Body
07-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Spurstalk geniuses were A+++ correct about this guy!! Lots and lots of interest!!! Because he's so awesome!!!

picnroll
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Spurstalk geniuses were A+++ correct about this guy!! Lots and lots of interest!!! Because he's so awesome!!!
Come back when he's not a RFA.

Of course then the Spurs will probably be spending their money on your boy Javtokas. :downspin:

GSH
07-20-2008, 02:35 AM

I haven't heard about him spitting on hookers. Is this some strange Marv Albertish sex thing?

I really don't think the Spurs have any sense of humor about him getting another weapon arrest this summer, no matter how cheap he might come. And he better not try that "two cups of wine" excuse, either.

if spurs flame out next year
smith takes the offer
spurs could offer him the full mle next year
if smith improves this season

And is that a J.R. Smith haiku?

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-20-2008, 05:24 AM
will work out well for the Nuggets if this is true. Either sign him longer term for cheap, or let him play for the qualifying offer and save money now. Next year, if he becomes a UFA, the Nuggets will have much more flexibility coz AI will be off the books and they can re-sign JR if he doesn't bomb out.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-20-2008, 06:34 AM
No-one wants JR because he is close to the most selfish headcase in the league and a total cancer, Ricky Davis Mk II.

He will gladly never wear a Spurs uniform, unless Hell freezes over and he proves that he can help a team to WIN.

rj215
07-20-2008, 09:16 AM
I wanted JR to join as much as anybody else but in adding him or Artest I guess the FO figured they'd be selling their souls for a few extra points. What makes the Spurs a great team is that they don't let a-holes ruin their culture. So JR can go club hoppin and beat on women somewhere else.

Sissiborgo
07-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Come on sign that man!

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Come back when he's not a RFA.

Of course then the Spurs will probably be spending their money on your boy Javtokas. :downspin:

eyeroll. you'ra about as clever as AgiieDickweed

K-State Spur
07-20-2008, 10:50 AM
I wanted JR to join as much as anybody else but in adding him or Artest I guess the FO figured they'd be selling their souls for a few extra points. What makes the Spurs a great team is that they don't let a-holes ruin their culture. So JR can go club hoppin and beat on women somewhere else.

Whether the character issues are a factor or not, we'll never know. It's all moot because the team couldn't offer anything that wouldn't have been matched.

The only thing signing him would have accomplished is tying up that money for a week.

The Truth #6
07-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Though he would have been a (hopefully benign) cancer, there is no certainty what Denver would have done if we dropped a full MLE contract for JR at the beginning instead of Pop going out and wasting his finest bottle of pinot grigio on Maggette in trying to woo him (or whatever we had to do to impress him.)

They're crazy and stupid as an organization. When are crazy, stupid people ever that predictable?

Obstructed_View
07-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Though he would have been a (hopefully benign) cancer, there is no certainty what Denver would have done if we dropped a full MLE contract for JR at the beginning instead of Pop going out and wasting his finest bottle of pinot grigio on Maggette in trying to woo him (or whatever we had to do to impress him.)

They're crazy and stupid as an organization. When are crazy, stupid people ever that predictable?

Yeah, how stupid to waste a bottle of wine when we could have had a cancer for the full MLE, or at very least locked up that money for seven days while everyone else got signed and then Denver matched it at the last second. What stupid financial decisions the Spurs make! :lol