PDA

View Full Version : Bowen: Brent opting out was "disturbing"

Buddy Holly
07-19-2008, 10:34 PM
That's what Bruce said today at a public event at Ashley's furniture on the NW side. He said it was disturbing that Brent chose to opt out of his contract.

Also said that now that he's gone it allows the Spurs to grow.

wijayas
07-19-2008, 10:37 PM
For everything, there is a season. A season for Brent Barry, a season for Robert Horry. And now a season for Hill, Gist and hopefully Tolliver...

angelbelow
07-19-2008, 10:46 PM
well they all loved him dearly, but this is the business side. brent was trying to make more money and the spurs were trying to get younger..

completely deck
07-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Strange choice of words.

Ice009
07-19-2008, 10:56 PM
Wow. Well I said in the Summer League game thread it sounded like the Spurs got screwed over. The way RC worded it, it just seems like they wanted to keep Brent and maybe Robert, but both players have declined? Well obviously Brent declined by signing with the Rockets, but Rob may have done the same thing? Am i reading too much into it?

ChumpDumper
07-19-2008, 10:56 PM
He just said they weren't coming back.

ducks
07-19-2008, 10:57 PM
maybe horry wanted more shots in the playoffs

Biggems
07-19-2008, 11:02 PM
maybe horry wanted more shots in the playoffs

horsecrap.......cause horry passed up so many shots it was sickening. i had never seen horry gunshy before this year......so i think it is time for him to retire. once a gunslinger is timid when drawing his pistol, it is time to move on to something else.

ducks
07-19-2008, 11:03 PM
late yes

I think spurs players were surprised barry opted out

DespЏrado
07-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Interesting way for Bowen to put it. I wish he had played his final years out in San Antonio. I'm going to miss the bastard, but he is the enemy now and he must never taste victory at the Spurs expense again.

spurman20
07-19-2008, 11:16 PM
The only thing I find distrubing is the fact that Bowen still looks like a retard driving to the hoop!

ducks
07-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Interesting way for Bowen to put it. I wish he had played his final years out in San Antonio. I'm going to miss the bastard, but he is the enemy now and he must never taste victory at the Spurs expense again.
not sure if he did not

that injury could mean he never plays another minute

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-19-2008, 11:17 PM
You can tell Bowen wants to kick Brent's ass.

ducks
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
barry will not make a three on bowen

nil.ball
07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Damn, the way things are going, if Horry sign with the Rockets, we will be the official most hated team in this forum surpass the Lakers.

ducks
07-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Damn, the way things are going, if Horry sign with the Rockets, we will be the official most hated team in this forum surpass the Lakers.

in sa yes

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Wow. Well I said in the Summer League game thread it sounded like the Spurs got screwed over. The way RC worded it, it just seems like they wanted to keep Brent and maybe Robert, but both players have declined? Well obviously Brent declined by signing with the Rockets, but Rob may have done the same thing? Am i reading too much into it?

Are you 12? Spurs are always gracious about players when they go on to another team.

Anyone with a brain can see the front office has chosen a youth movement for the supporting cast.

Barry, Horry, probably Finley, all gone. Vaughn relegated to third string mentor.

In with Gist, Ian, Hill, Mason.

Tek_XX
07-20-2008, 12:01 AM
He said "distrubing", maybe he meant "disturbing"?

Buddy Holly
07-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Misspelled in the title not the post.

I. Hustle
07-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Now I'm distrubed

SenorSpur
07-20-2008, 12:06 AM

Ya'll can have him.

Ice009
07-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Are you 12? Spurs are always gracious about players when they go on to another team.

Anyone with a brain can see the front office has chosen a youth movement for the supporting cast.

Barry, Horry, probably Finley, all gone. Vaughn relegated to third string mentor.

In with Gist, Ian, Hill, Mason.

Barry was under contract. If he was under contract I'd say the Spurs were expecting him back. Then you've got Bruce's comments it seems Barry surprised them and left.

Maybe Horry is doing the same thing and wants to play on and get more court time somewhere else. Do you know for a FACT what Horry is doing or if the Spurs planned to bring Horry back and he said no? No you don't, so I don't see how you could say I am completely wrong.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Barry was under contract. If he was under contract I'd say the Spurs were expecting him back. Then you've got Bruce's comments it seems Barry surprised them and left.

Maybe Horry is doing the same thing and wants to play on and get more court time somewhere else. Do you know for a FACT what Horry is doing or if the Spurs planned to bring Horry back and he said no? No you don't, so I don't see how you could say I am completely wrong.

Barry wasn't under contract. Damn, this isn't hard.

Bowen's taken a couple of pay cuts so we could have more cap room to work with, he was surprised that Barry sacrificed playing with this franchise to go play for a scrub team in Houston, that's all.

Horry is talking about retiring, and honestly, I love what he's done for us in the past but it was clear this post-season the game has passed him by. Same for Finley. And Barry's playing on one wheel.

No, I don't know for a fact what Horry is doing, but that doesn't mean your sky is falling shit isn't stupid as hell, which it is. That's all I'm saying. Do you really think the Spurs are upset about not being able to bring back a 38 year old PF who went 0 for the WCF? Fucking use your brain for once.

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Those guys couldn't play forever.

Ice009
07-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Barry wasn't under contract. Damn, this isn't hard.

Uhh didn't he opt out of his contract just before free agency? Which means he was under contract.

Bowen's taken a couple of pay cuts so we could have more cap room to work with, he was surprised that Barry sacrificed playing with this franchise to go play for a scrub team in Houston, that's all.

What's Bruce's pay cuts got to do with anything? btw Thanks for doing that Bruce.

Horry is talking about retiring, and honestly, I love what he's done for us in the past but it was clear this post-season the game has passed him by. Same for Finley. And Barry's playing on one wheel.

You might be completely correct about Horry or you could be completely wrong about Horry. So I don't see why you think your opinion is any more valid then mine.

No, I don't know for a fact what Horry is doing, but that doesn't mean your sky is falling shit isn't stupid as hell, which it is. That's all I'm saying. Do you really think the Spurs are upset about not being able to bring back a 38 year old PF who went 0 for the WCF? Fucking use your brain for once.

I didn't say the sky is falling did I? I'm certainly not freaking out about it like you're saying I am lol. I was just looking at another angle and saying that maybe the Spurs' hand was forced a little bit regarding Brent and possibly Horry. If you don't think so fine. No need to get all bitchy about it. :).

timvp
07-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Bowen is a guy who has made probably less than half as much money as he could have made during his Spurs career to help the team have cap flexibility. Him seeing Barry walk away from the Spurs to take a slight raise with the Rockets probably does sound pretty weird. It's probably not Bowen's business to be talking about what Barry has decided to do but I'm assuming he feels that Barry backstabbed his comrades.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 12:40 AM
It is a tight locker room. Brent was one of the most liked. He always had his kids in the locker room and things like that. It is always hard to lose a good player and friend. People get emotional, but I am sure they understand.

ducks
07-20-2008, 12:42 AM
yeah since barry is so broke

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 12:44 AM
I didn't say the sky is falling did I? I'm certainly not freaking out about it like you're saying I am lol. I was just looking at another angle and saying that maybe the Spurs' hand was forced a little bit regarding Brent and possibly Horry. If you don't think so fine. No need to get all bitchy about it

I'm not bitchy, just tired of the annual Spurs fan summer meltdown on this board about replacing our irreplaceable 10th/11th man.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 12:45 AM
It is a tight locker room. Brent was one of the most liked. He always had his kids in the locker room and things like that. It is always hard to lose a good player and friend. People get emotional, but I am sure they understand.

Yeah, and they're going to lock his ass down whenever we play Htown too.

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2008, 12:52 AM
So Brent will play half the season and then play Rock, Paper, & Scissors with Yao behind the bench for the other half.

Ice009
07-20-2008, 12:55 AM
I'm not bitchy, just tired of the annual Spurs fan summer meltdown on this board about replacing our irreplaceable 10th/11th man.

That's cool. I'm more than likely wrong about Horry, but I just wanted to give a different take. Brent I'm not sure about as TimVP said it seems that Bruce could be a little miffed since he's taken numerous pay cuts for the good of the team.

The thing with Brent is he was getting paid more than Bruce and I didn't really like him at times cause I thought he was overpaid. When Brent came back I absolutely loved him for that salary. I think Brent for the LLE type money was worth keeping, but you also have a valid argument about him being injured frequently.

I agree Bruce is gonna really lock him down if he gets to defend him.

DespЏrado
07-20-2008, 12:56 AM
I can't blame Barry for leaving after all the trade shit he went through, He was all but on the plane for New Orleans two years ago and then we use him as a filler in the trade to get Thomas. No Barry showed a hell of a lot of loyalty by coming back here after all of that, so it makes me wonder why the disloyalty now?

What made him opt out after the season ended? And why didn't the Spurs at least show him some gratitude for coming back with a reasonable offer. It seems to me that of all the old farts he was still able to fill whatever role was asked of him, and could still regularly contribute.

Sad to see Bones go, so I just have to wonder if there isn't more to the story...Too bad Ludden is gone because without him we will probably never learn the behind the scenes truth about this fallout.

Could there be medical results showing Barry wasn't going to be able to play much longer?

Was he just fed up with the trades and wanted to go someplace he was actually wanted?

Did Pop say he was going to have a diminished role next year?

Is it just a family tradition to retire a rocket?

ducks
07-20-2008, 12:57 AM
more to the story MONEY

DespЏrado
07-20-2008, 01:00 AM
more to the story MONEY

Barry shouldn't have to worry about money, seriously he practically has a spot guaranteed as a broadcast analyst, with his sense of humor and how well spoken he is.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 01:03 AM
That's cool. I'm more than likely wrong about Horry, but I just wanted to give a different take. Brent I'm not sure about as TimVP said it seems that Bruce could be a little miffed since he's taken numerous pay cuts for the good of the team.

The thing with Brent is he was getting paid more than Bruce and I didn't really like him at times cause I thought he was overpaid. When Brent came back I absolutely loved him for that salary. I think Brent for the LLE type money was worth keeping, but you also have a valid argument about him being injured frequently.

I agree Bruce is gonna really lock him down if he gets to defend him.

It's clear the Spurs have undertaken a youth movement for their role players. In essence, they are following the Detroit model. A core of stars (the big 3) with a youthful bench to get them through the regular season with something left in the tank for the post-season.

While it hasn't been announced, I will be surprised if Fin is back at all. I think Thomas is the last over 30 guy the Spurs bring back.

* Vaughn bumped to 3rd string, Hill drafted
* Barry let go, replaced by Mason
* Horry let go, replaced by Gist and/or Bonner and/or Tolliver
* Finley TBD
* Ian brought in, impact TBD

Dex
07-20-2008, 01:04 AM
If I had to take a guess, I would say he did it for security reasons. He spent the past four seasons here on the trading block, even though he was contributing well. Last year he even got dealt and brought back. Now, the Spurs are obviously playing the patient game with their veteran players to see how the Free Agent market pans out.

After a while, I'm sure anybody would get tired of feeling so dispensable. It's like trying to work hard for a job that could lay you off at any point. By going to Houston, Barry finally got to decide what HE wanted to do with his career.

When it comes down to it, the only person who really knows why Brent Barry opted out is Brent Barry.

Ice009
07-20-2008, 01:08 AM
more to the story MONEY

If it's about money I'm not liking Barry at all. I mean Bruce was getting paid less than Brent for most of Brent's contract here and I think we call all agree that Bruce was worth more than Brent those seasons?

If Brent is leaving because he stills feels slighted about being traded once and almost twice then that is OK, if he also feels like he'd get more court time in Houston then that is fine too. If it's solely about money then I just don't understand that and I guess Bruce doesn't either.

Also, Pop could have told him before he opted out that they are going with a youth movement which at that point Barry may have thought to himself he's better off going to Houston or somewhere else and only then decided to opt out. Barry may not have even wanted to leave. Ludden may have given us the reason's if he was still writing for us.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah, and they're going to lock his ass down whenever we play Htown too.

No doubt.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 01:19 AM
I can't blame Barry for leaving after all the trade shit he went through, He was all but on the plane for New Orleans two years ago and then we use him as a filler in the trade to get Thomas. No Barry showed a hell of a lot of loyalty by coming back here after all of that, so it makes me wonder why the disloyalty now?

What made him opt out after the season ended? And why didn't the Spurs at least show him some gratitude for coming back with a reasonable offer. It seems to me that of all the old farts he was still able to fill whatever role was asked of him, and could still regularly contribute.

Sad to see Bones go, so I just have to wonder if there isn't more to the story...Too bad Ludden is gone because without him we will probably never learn the behind the scenes truth about this fallout.

Could there be medical results showing Barry wasn't going to be able to play much longer?

Was he just fed up with the trades and wanted to go someplace he was actually wanted?

Did Pop say he was going to have a diminished role next year?

Is it just a family tradition to retire a rocket?

It is a double-edged sword with Spurs fans. They laugh at people when they say guys like Corey Maggette should play for less money just because it is the Spurs. But if a veteran like Bones takes the money they get pissed off and act like he has a responsibility to do it. It is a weird mindset.

The Spurs have been extremely fortunate that they have had so many guys make less than they should, that is great management and loyalty. But you can not expect it forever.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 01:21 AM
I think ducks is reaching on the money issue.

I suspect Pop told him the minutes wouldn't be there this year with Mason, Hill, and others (be it Hairston or some other FA pickup).

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 01:28 AM
I think Finley is coming back. He definitely fits the need for another veteran Pop can trust that can hit big shots still.

timvp
07-20-2008, 01:39 AM
My guess is that Barry just wanted a bigger role. The Rockets have promised to use him as an initiator ... something Barry didn't get to do enough of in San Antonio, mostly due to playing with three other players who need the ball a lot. In Houston, Barry will play a big role. In San Antonio, probably would have found himself in and out of the rotation, like usual.

I don't blame Barry for leaving. He'll get to end his career playing as many minutes as he can handle and getting the ball as much as he wants it.

jag
07-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Spursfan complains about spurs being too old and then complains when Spurs get younger players.

JPB
07-20-2008, 02:30 AM
My guess is that Barry just wanted a bigger role. The Rockets have promised to use him as an initiator ... something Barry didn't get to do enough of in San Antonio, mostly due to playing with three other players who need the ball a lot. In Houston, Barry will play a big role. In San Antonio, probably would have found himself in and out of the rotation, like usual.

I don't blame Barry for leaving. He'll get to end his career playing as many minutes as he can handle and getting the ball as much as he wants it.

:tu

That's basically what he said in a recent interview. And I can understand that. He thinks he has to years left and he doesn't want to spend them as just a spot up shooter.

Everybody knows he has very good ball handling and passing skills that weren't really used in SA. He should have a bigger role in Houston and the opportunity to show what he can do (if not injured).

That's probably what he was looking for to finish his career. Money has nothing to do whith that. Maybe spurs weren't offering two years but I don't thing contract was the reason he left.

ceperez
07-20-2008, 06:06 AM

As much as I hat to say it, it ultimately boiled down to money.

The Spurs could not risk signing Barry for 2 years on a bigger contract knowing that he has this calf injury that can recur. I think his brother had the same injury and retired because of it.

Barry also knows this, and at this point in his career, he'll take as much money as he possible can. Who knows, he could retire in mid season when he's offered a media analyst role.

It is indeed unfortunate because Barry was playing his best as a Spur before the injury.

I think the other thing that comes into play is that Barry (other than his 3 pt talent) doesn't fit well in Pop's defensive schemes. That's the main reason he isn't played as often as he should have.

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-20-2008, 06:22 AM
you guys should be happy about getting younger. It's the right move.

wildbill2u
07-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Bowen is very intelligent and well spoken, so his choice of words is disturbing. Words have specific meanings and Bowen wouldn't use disturbing if he didn't think it through.

So what was his intent with the use of the word. One interpretation was that he thought Brent's decision:

1. Had something to do with the FO and the FO decision not to bring back a good rotation player and locker room asset.

2. had something to do with Brent's evaluation of the direction of the team, and so yes, his opting out and going elsewhere could be seen as disturbing.

rj215
07-20-2008, 09:03 AM
Brent might not want to suit up for his first game against the Spurs. I think Bowen will keep it clean but he'll send a message for the whole team.

But when you think about it, Brent's like 56 years old and was out to get one last contract before he retires to work for the Spurs or Rockets broadcasts. Can't hate on the guy.

JamStone
07-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Uh maybe Barry saw the writing on the wall. The Spurs can claim all they want that they wanted Barry to return, but they draft a combo guard in George Hill that everyone knows will be on the team because of the guaranteed contract, where in past drafts, the Spurs have traded away late first round picks or left them overseas. And, then the day after Barry signed with the Rockets, the Spurs sign Roger Mason, probably meaning they had already been in negotiations with Mason for a while. Maybe Barry feels more comfortable that he can get consistent minutes in Houston, even though they also have a logjam of guards.

And, maybe he feels deep down inside that he can play at least two more years and wanted the security of a two year contract. Maybe it wasn't about a slight pay raise at all. The Spurs were weeding out the older players, whether subtle or not. Barry just made the decision easy for the Spurs. If it was the Spurs who waived Barry at the start of pre-season, there would be no issue. But, the fact Barry opted out and left, some feel it's a bit of an issue of loyalty.

And, quite frankly, maybe Barry feels that Houston has a better chance of winning the next two seasons than the Spurs do. Spurs fans loved how Horry left the Lakers to join the Spurs. Who's to say it isn't a smart move by Barry in terms of having a better chance to win another title? Who knows. It might be.

At the end of the day, Bruce probably doesn't really know what was said behind closed doors between RC/Pop and Barry. Maybe they told him he was going to go on the Shaq regular season schedule and play half the regular season to save himself for the playoffs. Maybe they told him they wanted him back but he wouldn't play much at all. Maybe they told him they were drafting George Hill and trying to add Roger Mason and they wanted him to mentor them but he wasn't going to play much at all. Bruce needs to realize it's not about pure loyalty to help your organization have cap flexibility. The franchise does what's in its best interest about 99.9% of the time. Just because Bruce does things one way, it doesn't mean every player should as well. And, if I remember correctly, Barry took a pretty sizable paycut to join the Spurs in the first place. Didn't he have an offer from Denver or some other team for considerable more money a few years ago when he signed with the Spurs. Bruce shouldn't really criticize.

rj215
07-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Uh maybe Barry saw the writing on the wall. The Spurs can claim all they want that they wanted Barry to return, but they draft a combo guard in George Hill that everyone knows will be on the team because of the guaranteed contract, where in past drafts, the Spurs have traded away late first round picks or left them overseas. And, then the day after Barry signed with the Rockets, the Spurs sign Roger Mason, probably meaning they had already been in negotiations with Mason for a while. Maybe Barry feels more comfortable that he can get consistent minutes in Houston, even though they also have a logjam of guards.

And, maybe he feels deep down inside that he can play at least two more years and wanted the security of a two year contract. Maybe it wasn't about a slight pay raise at all. The Spurs were weeding out the older players, whether subtle or not. Barry just made the decision easy for the Spurs. If it was the Spurs who waived Barry at the start of pre-season, there would be no issue. But, the fact Barry opted out and left, some feel it's a bit of an issue of loyalty.

And, quite frankly, maybe Barry feels that Houston has a better chance of winning the next two seasons than the Spurs do. Spurs fans loved how Horry left the Lakers to join the Spurs. Who's to say it isn't a smart move by Barry in terms of having a better chance to win another title? Who knows. It might be.

At the end of the day, Bruce probably doesn't really know what was said behind closed doors between RC/Pop and Barry. Maybe they told him he was going to go on the Shaq regular season schedule and play half the regular season to save himself for the playoffs. Maybe they told him they wanted him back but he wouldn't play much at all. Maybe they told him they were drafting George Hill and trying to add Roger Mason and they wanted him to mentor them but he wasn't going to play much at all. Bruce needs to realize it's not about pure loyalty to help your organization have cap flexibility. The franchise does what's in its best interest about 99.9% of the time. Just because Bruce does things one way, it doesn't mean every player should as well. And, if I remember correctly, Barry took a pretty sizable paycut to join the Spurs in the first place. Didn't he have an offer from Denver or some other team for considerable more money a few years ago when he signed with the Spurs. Bruce shouldn't really criticize.

I agree with most of what you're saying but to say that Houston has a better shot of winning than the Spurs :nope The ONLY way that could happen is IF Tmac and Yao stay healthy and play togther in the playoffs....not likely.

JamStone
07-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I didn't say Houston has a better shot of winning than the Spurs.

I suggested that maybe Barry feels that way.

MarHill
07-20-2008, 10:20 AM
For everything, there is a season. A season for Brent Barry, a season for Robert Horry. And now a season for Hill, Gist and hopefully Tolliver...

That's so true!!! There is an appointed time for everything. :toast

MarHill
07-20-2008, 10:29 AM
It's clear the Spurs have undertaken a youth movement for their role players. In essence, they are following the Detroit model. A core of stars (the big 3) with a youthful bench to get them through the regular season with something left in the tank for the post-season.

While it hasn't been announced, I will be surprised if Fin is back at all. I think Thomas is the last over 30 guy the Spurs bring back.

* Vaughn bumped to 3rd string, Hill drafted
* Barry let go, replaced by Mason
* Horry let go, replaced by Gist and/or Bonner and/or Tolliver
* Finley TBD
* Ian brought in, impact TBD

Great point, Aggie Hoopsfan!!

I've been saying that all along. I believe the Spurs saw what the Pistons have been doing the last two years and thought it was time to go younger as well.

Stuckey, Maxiell, Amir Johnson, & Affalo have worked well the vets on the Pistons Squad. And they still made it to ECF the last two years.

I believe rookies can play well around an established vet core because the rookies aren't called on to lead or carry the major duties for the team. The vets will handle that!!!

Also, I think it's a new season for the Spurs and it was time to go in a different direction. However, I will miss Brent (and Horry as well)!!!

The Franchise
07-20-2008, 10:31 AM
That's what Bruce said today at a public event at Ashley's furniture on the NW side. He said it was disturbing that Brent chose to opt out of his contract.

Also said that now that he's gone it allows the Spurs to grow.

What does he mean by grow?

Obstructed_View
07-20-2008, 10:40 AM
I love Barry, but he never really played up to expectations as a Spur. I wouldn't go so far to characterize his time here as a catastrophic failure, but calling it a rather large disappointment is about right. If he goes to Houston and passes up open shots like he did when he was here, he won't have much better of a time there.

The Franchise
07-20-2008, 10:45 AM
I love Barry, but he never really played up to expectations as a Spur. I wouldn't go so far to characterize his time here as a catastrophic failure, but calling it a rather large disappointment is about right. If he goes to Houston and passes up open shots like he did when he was here, he won't have much better of a time there.

His style of play didn't really match up to what the Spurs were doing. I think that's part of the reason he opted out. He said as much in his press conference. I have a feeling he will look much more comfortable in Adelmans read and react type of style.

JamStone
07-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Take a guy who when the Spurs signed him was still a quality starting 2-guard in the league, was a natural scorer, and had play-making abilities. Tell him that not only is he making less money than he could have, but his minutes will go way down and despite being a natural scorer and playmaker, he's going to be at best a fourth or fifth scoring option and most of his points will be stand still jump shots from kickouts and swings. Exactly what should have the Spurs expected from him? He sacrificed money and playing time to try to win a title in San Antonio. He won two titles. I think he's cool with it. Now he's moving on. Depicting or labeling him as any kind of failure is beyond harsh as a criticism in my opinion.

Spurtacus
07-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Barry just wanted to follow in his father and brother's footsteps. I forget...did they ever win a title as Rocket? Hmm...

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 11:03 AM
As much as I hat to say it, it ultimately boiled down to money.

As much as I hate to say it, you don't have a fucking clue what happened.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2008, 11:09 AM
As much as I hate to say it, you don't have a fucking clue what happened.

:lmao

The Franchise
07-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Barry just wanted to follow in his father and brother's footsteps. I forget...did they ever win a title as Rocket? Hmm...

There is a first time for everything.

T Park
07-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Pffftt

Not with that MASH unit and collection of chokers.

Give it up already Rocket fan. Adelman, McGrady is not the combo you want in the friggen playoffs.

Extra Stout
07-20-2008, 11:32 AM
If the Rockets sign Swen Nater next, I swear I will burst an aneurysm out of rage.

T Park
07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking if they sign Frank Brickowski I'm gonna burn down Toyota Center.

The Franchise
07-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Pffftt

Not with that MASH unit and collection of chokers.

Give it up already Rocket fan. Adelman, McGrady is not the combo you want in the friggen playoffs.

If we stay healthy I guarantee we will finish ahead of the Spurs, and that includes the playoffs.

T Park
07-20-2008, 11:37 AM
If we stay healthy I guarantee we will finish ahead of the Spurs, and that includes the playoffs.

Ok

You think that kiddo :lmao

With Mcgrady :lmao

Spurtacus
07-20-2008, 11:37 AM

Not with Tmac on your team.

The Franchise
07-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Not with Tmac on your team.

Everyone Says T mac is a chocker, but he has never really had the tools around him to suceed. If you take the time to check his playoff performances he is actually a beast, and that's with constant double and triple teams. Everyone says Manu is an incredible player but he has the Luxury of playing with Tim And Tony. Switch T-mac with him and your team become the scariest motherfuckers in the league, while Houston wouldn't make the playoffs with Manu in his role. Thanks to Darryl Morey, we are adding more depth which is all we really need.

JamStone
07-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Never had the tools around him to succeed???? What about just to get out of the first round?

Two playoffs ago, the Rockets were up on the Jazz 3-2 with game 7 in Houston.

In 2002-03, the Orlando Magic were up 3-1 on the Pistons in the first round, with three different chances to win that series.

T-Mac's stats in the playoffs are pretty good. But, don't give him any excuses about playoff failure. He's been in good enough position several times to get out of the first round and hasn't. Sure, it's a team game. But, don't excuse his playoff failures. There have been other great players with less help that have gotten out of the first round of the playoffs.

rj215
07-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Everyone Says T mac is a chocker, but he has never really had the tools around him to suceed. If you take the time to check his playoff performances he is actually a beast, and that's with constant double and triple teams. Everyone says Manu is an incredible player but he has the Luxury of playing with Tim And Tony. Switch T-mac with him and your team become the scariest motherfuckers in the league, while Houston wouldn't make the playoffs with Manu in his role. Thanks to Darryl Morey, we are adding more depth which is all we really need.

Manu is winner every place he's played. Can't say that for Me-Mac....And if Me-Mac was on our sqaud instead of Manu we wouldn't make it past the first round...

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Manu is winner every place he's played. Can't say that for Me-Mac....And if Me-Mac was on our sqaud instead of Manu we wouldn't make it past the first round...

Your kidding right. T-Mac on the Spurs would be ridiculous. There is no way it makes the Spurs worse.

lotr1trekkie
07-20-2008, 12:38 PM
We now need to resign Horry and Thomas to tutor Ian. Vaughn gets most of the backup minutes until January when Hill takes over[hopefully]. Hill might even play some #2 if we go small. FO hoping that Gist and/or Hairston make the inactive list. If Thomas signs with the Lakers we are in bad shape at the bigs. IMO the FO is gambling that Mason, Hill, Ian, and Gist will be abel to contribute. They are rolling the dice.

rj215
07-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Your kidding right. T-Mac on the Spurs would be ridiculous. There is no way it makes the Spurs worse.

Talentwise of course it would make the Spurs better but what about the 20-30 games a year he misses? That's more work for Tim, Tony and the rest of the squad. That's why the Rockets can't win with him.

Don't get me wrong. I think TMac could be a top five player because he's got top 5 talent but his body and sometimes his mind lets him down.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
Agreed, but I thought the debate was based on if Houston and San Antonio being healthy.

wildbill2u
07-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Frankly, I think Barry will get more minutes in Houston. They have a serious problem at PG and SG when T-Mac is at SF.

They may have promised him that he'd play a bigger role and a player with Barry's competitiveness would probably react positively to that if he thinks there is still plenty of gas in his tank.

The Franchise
07-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Never had the tools around him to succeed???? What about just to get out of the first round?

Two playoffs ago, the Rockets were up on the Jazz 3-2 with game 7 in Houston.

In 2002-03, the Orlando Magic were up 3-1 on the Pistons in the first round, with three different chances to win that series.

T-Mac's stats in the playoffs are pretty good. But, don't give him any excuses about playoff failure. He's been in good enough position several times to get out of the first round and hasn't. Sure, it's a team game. But, don't excuse his playoff failures. There have been other great players with less help that have gotten out of the first round of the playoffs.

So your telling me that with the teammates he had he was supposed to win those series? When has he ever had the better team going into a series.The team he had in that Detroit series would not have won 20 games without T-mac.Even in that Dallas series Bobby Sura, our starting point, was hurt, and Juwan Howard, our starting powerforward, never played a single game. Nobody in the league has to deal with the pressure that Tracy does. Kobe doesn't even recieve the attention that Tracy does because he has help. As for all these superstars who have do less with more I'd like some names. Give me 3 names and I'll accept what your saying, but you won't be able to.

ShoogarBear
07-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Bruce found his lack of faith . . . disturbing.

Ronaldo McDonald
07-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Bruce is generally pretty well-spoken, but he does have a tendency to use wierd words to describe thngs.

SenorSpur
07-20-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking if they sign Frank Brickowski I'm gonna burn down Toyota Center.

...or even Peter Gudmundson, for that matter.

MarHill
07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Take a guy who when the Spurs signed him was still a quality starting 2-guard in the league, was a natural scorer, and had play-making abilities. Tell him that not only is he making less money than he could have, but his minutes will go way down and despite being a natural scorer and playmaker, he's going to be at best a fourth or fifth scoring option and most of his points will be stand still jump shots from kickouts and swings. Exactly what should have the Spurs expected from him? He sacrificed money and playing time to try to win a title in San Antonio. He won two titles. I think he's cool with it. Now he's moving on. Depicting or labeling him as any kind of failure is beyond harsh as a criticism in my opinion.

I agree.

Brent Barry had his time with Spurs and I can understand on some level why he opted-out.

But the Spurs had decided to move in a different direction (when he opted-out) and I have no problem with that either.

Good luck to him in Houston! (not against the Spurs though....LOL!!!!)

Anti.Hero
07-20-2008, 04:52 PM
If Finley stays I'm cheering for the Bobcats. No joke.

ducks
07-20-2008, 05:41 PM
do not let the door hit you on the way out

T Park
07-20-2008, 06:09 PM

Ur a fucknut if true.

rAm
07-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Bruce found his lack of faith . . . disturbing.

:lol

Man of Steel
07-20-2008, 09:32 PM

Por que?

jay014
07-20-2008, 09:42 PM
barry will not make a three on bowen

He will. Then Bowen will make sure he dosen't make another one by making sure Brent sprains an ankle.

wireonfire
07-20-2008, 11:14 PM
If I had to take a guess, I would say he did it for security reasons. He spent the past four seasons here on the trading block, even though he was contributing well. Last year he even got dealt and brought back. Now, the Spurs are obviously playing the patient game with their veteran players to see how the Free Agent market pans out.

After a while, I'm sure anybody would get tired of feeling so dispensable. It's like trying to work hard for a job that could lay you off at any point. By going to Houston, Barry finally got to decide what HE wanted to do with his career.

When it comes down to it, the only person who really knows why Brent Barry opted out is Brent Barry.

Or maybe he thinks Htown has better chance to win next couple years. And he'll likely see more minutes on the court.

The rumor in Houston is that he was gonna sign with the Rockets last season had Yao not gone down right at the time he was about to make a decision.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:17 PM
H-Town, if healthy has just as good of a chance as the Spurs. Plus, Brent did get kind of yanked around while he was here and he has every right to go for more money and playing time. He does not owe the Spurs anything, just like Maggette and just like every other player that people think should play for less just because they are the Spurs.

Having said that...It is going to be great fun to watch the Gino and Parker absolutely torch Bones if he dares to be on the floor at the same time.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:19 PM
H-Town, if healthy has just as good of a chance as the Spurs. Plus, Brent did get kind of yanked around while he was here and he has every right to go for more money and playing time. He does not owe the Spurs anything, just like Maggette and just like every other player that people think should play for less just because they are the Spurs.

Agreed. He can play a better role for Houston, anyway.

Obstructed_View
07-21-2008, 03:33 AM
Take a guy who when the Spurs signed him was still a quality starting 2-guard in the league, was a natural scorer, and had play-making abilities. Tell him that not only is he making less money than he could have, but his minutes will go way down and despite being a natural scorer and playmaker, he's going to be at best a fourth or fifth scoring option and most of his points will be stand still jump shots from kickouts and swings.
Brent's shot attempts didn't go down as much as his shooting percentage, assists and rebounds went down. Nobody expected him to drop to the fourth or fifth scoring option; you certainly can't tell me that the starting job wasn't his to lose if Manu was going to come off the bench. Since he had Finley's defense as a measuring stick, it was mainly his inability to pull the trigger on wide open jumpers that was a contributor to his lack of minutes than anything else. Since his numbers never recovered to anything near when he was in Seattle then calling his tenure a disappointment isn't even close to harsh, it's simply to put into perspective for the people that were calling for him to be traded the last two years and are now ready to slash their wrists that he's gone. Three point shooters typically thrive when playing next to Timmy. Barry should have been feasting while he was here.

waly.mg
07-21-2008, 12:08 PM

I Fix, A season for Barry and a Career for Robert Horry

I. Hustle
07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Don’t let the door hit ya on the vagina

angel_luv
07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
I didn't realize that Brent opted out.

Boo Brent.

You can't be the Mango Tree.

Fingaroll44
07-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Brent left because he feels like he has 2 yrs left and doesnt want to "waste" them whilst being used sparingly...something to that effect...and he is somewhat of defensive liability which translates to languishing on the the bench in Pops system....

Harry Callahan
07-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Brent helped the team out a lot and was a really good guy in the locker room from what I gathered. I wish he would have gone to the Eastern Conf, but all Barrys must end up in Houston. Weird.

jack sommerset
07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
I 'm telling you the Spurs screwed Barry. The guy was traded and could have signed last year. Instead he came back. Something was promised to him and when he did not get it he BOLTED. Good for Barry. In the long run noone cares because its Barry and Bowen is a baby.