ceperez
07-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Here's the most likely scenario as of 7/20/2008

C Thomas(FA) Oberto Mahinmi,
PF Duncan Bonner Tolliver(R)
SF Bowen Udoka Gist (R)
SG Finley (FA) Ginobili
PG Parker Mason Hill (R) Vaughn

We should consider Nachbar or Krstic to improve the lineup. The Nets have 16 players under contract (not including these 2 players).

SenorSpur
07-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Here's the most likely scenario as of 7/20/2008

SF Bowen Udoka Gist (R)
SG Finley (FA) Ginobili
PG Parker Mason Hill (R) Vaughn

We should consider Nachbar or Krstic to improve the lineup. The Nets have 16 players under contract (not including these 2 players).

Mason is a SG, not a PG

ceperez
07-20-2008, 07:44 AM
After seeing Hill play PG, Mason is definitely our *best* option for backup point guard duties. That's the sad current state.

remingtonbo2001
07-20-2008, 07:57 AM
This thread is in a sad current state.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2008, 10:32 AM
Amidst all this hand-wringing and woe-is-weeing is one inescapable fact: The Spurs, by most accounts, stand an excellent chance of having two rookies make the regular season roster and actually contribute, and it's not out of the question just yet that they won't have all three. Two hasn't happened since I've been a fan, and I'd guess the Spurs haven't come close to that since there were way more than two rounds of the draft. So all the doom and gloom about what a poor draft this is just shows a missing sense of Spurs history IMHO.

Spurtacus
07-20-2008, 11:04 AM
After seeing Hill play PG, Mason is definitely our *best* option for backup point guard duties. That's the sad current state.

That isn't going to happen. Mason was signed as a SG. We have Vaughn as the backup PG if Hill needs some Toro time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Opening day

SF Bowen Udoka Gist (R)
SG Ginobili Mason Hill (R)
PG Parker Hill (R) Vaughn

by midseason

SF Bowen Udoka Gist (R)
SG Mason Ginobili Hill (R)

fify. And Krstic isn't coming for 2 million a year.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Sadly this roster is not better than last year's, and is probably worse, as the bench's veteran wiles have been replaced by unseasoned rookies and Mahinmi, who are not exceptionally talented to begin with. Last year we had the luxury of jumping to a fast start, but this is unlikely next year with so many new players to break in and few of them to be counted on. We'll see what happens; my projection is a place in the second end of the playoff bracket.

T Park
07-20-2008, 11:26 AM
:lol

Mr Body wants to go younger yet he posts this

as the bench's veteran wiles have been replaced by unseasoned rookies

Shut
the
fuck
up
ALREADY

Christ.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 11:29 AM

Mr Body wants to go younger yet he posts this

Shut
the
fuck
up
ALREADY

Christ.

:lmao

Right?

June: Damnit, we need to get younger on the bench and with our role players

July: Damnit, we got young on the bench and with our role players.

T Park
07-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I don't get it.

Its like people want 20 year olds, with the playoff savy of Robert Horry.

Do people not understand "development" AT ALL!?!?!

Good god. Fuck you again Spursreport for giving us these fuckwads.

kobyz
07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
i think we will sign Davin George
and the Depth Chart will be:

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Ginobili/Mason/Finley
Bowen/Udoka/George
Duncan/Mahinmi/Gist
Thomas/Oberto/Bonner

Gino2882
07-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Mason/Gino/Ime
Bowen/Udoka/Gist
Duncan/Ian/Bonner/Gist
Thomas/Oberto/Ian

ceperez
07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
i think we will sign Davin George
and the Depth Chart will be:

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Ginobili/Mason/Finley
Bowen/Udoka/George
Duncan/Mahinmi/Gist
Thomas/Oberto/Bonner

Devean George - 6'8" career 39% fg percentage and 34.1% 3p percentage.
Boki Nachbar - 6'9" career 40.6% fg percentage and 37.5% 3p percentage.

I'll go for Nachbar in the rotation:

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Mason/Ginobili/Finley
Bowen/Nachbar/Udoka/Gist
Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto/

ceperez
07-20-2008, 04:31 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/rax0lz.jpg

nil.ball
07-20-2008, 04:36 PM
http://i30.tinypic.com/rax0lz.jpg

Damn if I am black, I will never let some white dude dunk on me. That's like getting a lower grade than a Mexican in a calculas class if you are japanese.

ceperez
07-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Damn if I am black, I will never let some white dude dunk on me. That's like getting a lower grade than a Mexican in a calculas class if you are japanese.

Well looks like he's dunking over a Canadian, so that should be acceptable! ;-)

Spur-Addict
07-20-2008, 04:41 PM
If i'm not mistaken his (nachbar) last contract expired at 2.5 Mil.

nil.ball
07-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Well looks like he's dunking over a Canadian, so that should be acceptable! ;-)

Damn, a canadian? That just throw every rule right out of the window!

Joe Schmoogins
07-20-2008, 05:07 PM
parker/hill/vaughn
ginobili/mason/finley
bowen/udoka/gist
duncan/mahinmi/bonner
thomas/oberto

this leaves room for one more... either a shooter or a back up big. Trying to grab another shooter is probably more important due to the fact that gist can play big and udoka is a serviceable small ball 4. But if we could accomplish both at once that would be ideal. If Horry was two years younger he'd be my choice. Some have mentioned Tolliver, but I can't imagine a Spurs team with essentially FOUR rooks on it. I'd be surprised if Pop went for that.

I do think the new roster is looking quite nice so far. There will be a lot of flexibility if we can successfully incorporate and develop the young talent. Here's a few interesting lineups

league of clutch:
parker/manu/bowen/duncan/oberto

board domination team:
hill/udoka/gist/duncan/thomas

all speed team:
parker/manu (or mason)/gist/mahinmi/duncan

firing squad:
mason/manu/finley/bonner/duncan

lock down defenders:
parker/udoka/bowen/duncan/mahinmi (hopefully)

the longest team:
hill/finley/gist/duncan/mahinmi

small ball:
tony/mason/manu/udoka/duncan

the vet squad:
vaughn/finley/bowen/duncan/thomas

the youngens:
parker/hill/gist/bonner/mahinmi

rj215
07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Hopefully Gist gets a chance to earn minutes. And hopefully the Spurs will get Barnes.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Right?

June: Damnit, we need to get younger on the bench and with our role players

July: Damnit, we got young on the bench and with our role players.

Younger is one thing. Younger plus mediocre is another. You'll have me supporting putting 21 year olds on the team even if they never saw a basketball in their life.

I wasn't a 'get younger at all costs' person anyway. You'll remember me, despite your brain damage, as a big Luis Scola advocate. He's hardly a young whippersnapper. Getting younger was vital. Getting more talent was at least as important. We just got young.

But go ahead, don't let facts or reasonable assessment get in the way of your kindergarten games. By all means continue your buffoonery.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Buffoonery? You mean about bitching about shit that happened last year and is over and done with?

You thought the answer to our woes was to throw the whole MLE at Javtokas last year, pardon me if I don't put too much stock in your opinion.

Spur-Addict
07-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Younger is one thing. Younger plus mediocre is another. You'll have me supporting putting 21 year olds on the team even if they never saw a basketball in their life.

I wasn't a 'get younger at all costs' person anyway. You'll remember me, despite your brain damage, as a big Luis Scola advocate. He's hardly a young whippersnapper. Getting younger was vital. Getting more talent was at least as important. We just got young.

But go ahead, don't let facts or reasonable assessment get in the way of your kindergarten games. By all means continue your buffoonery.

It's time to move on, and i'm not referring to that democratic website.

Kori Ellis
07-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Right now I think the depth chart looks like:

Parker
Ginobili
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

Backup points: Vaughn, Hill (if you want to keep going down the line ... Ginobili, Mason)
Backup wings: Mason, Udoka
Backup bigs: Bonner, Ian

The Spurs lack of depth is scary.

Of course, it's July so who knows by October. If Thomas doesn't come back, the lack of bigs is pretty daunting. And I'm not sold that Gist or Tolliver will be on the Spurs. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if players like Udoka, Bonner or even Ian get dealt in the right deal.

dbestpro
07-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Parker, Vaughn
Ginobili, Mason
Bowen, Udoka
Duncan, Mahini, Bonner
Oberto, Thomas

NBDL: Hill, Gist

I think Thomas will resign. I agree that without Thomas a frontcourt trade will be made. My roster leaves 2 roster spots. Project Spurs to sign one more vet and go with 14 players at the start of the season.

lakehorn
07-20-2008, 07:57 PM

Parker
Ginobili
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

Backup points: Vaughn, Hill (if you want to keep going down the line ... Ginobili, Mason)

Of course, it's July so who knows by October. If Thomas doesn't come back, the lack of bigs is pretty daunting. And I'm not sold that Gist or Tolliver will be on the Spurs. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if players like Udoka, Bonner or even Ian get dealt in the right deal.

If Thomas doesn't sign the Spurs may take a look at Kawme Brown or sign-n-trade with Nets for Kristic. I'm not sold on Hill with the Spurs next season, more than likely Hill and Gist spend a year in Austion playing for Toros. Wouldn't be surprised if they made a run at Matt Barnes on a 2 year make good contract.

rj215
07-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Parker, Vaughn
Ginobili, Mason
Bowen, Udoka
Duncan, Mahini, Bonner
Oberto, Thomas

NBDL: Hill, Gist

I think Thomas will resign. I agree that without Thomas a frontcourt trade will be made. My roster leaves 2 roster spots. Project Spurs to sign one more vet and go with 14 players at the start of the season.

If our much lauded first round pick goes to the NBDL after the summer league after CDR and Chalmers did well, I'd be disappointed.

nil.ball
07-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Good luck winning a 'ship with this roster. :lol

Joe Schmoogins
07-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Good luck winning a 'ship with this roster. :lol

thanks! although we don't need your luck (it is an odd year), I appreciate the sentiment.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 08:29 PM
It's time to move on, and i'm not referring to that democratic website.

Move on from what? What are you talking about?

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 08:32 PM

This is just not a good roster. Whatever promise the young players may have is years away. It's very sad to say, again, and that this may be the weakest team since the 2000-2002 trough years. Maybe the worst of the Duncan years. Ugh.

AFBlue
07-20-2008, 08:53 PM
thanks! although we don't need your luck (it is an odd year), I appreciate the sentiment.

Since he's Rockets fan, I'd say the Spurs never need his luck....his team's got the worst damn luck in the league. Or the most injury prone....however you choose to look at it.

The Truth #6
07-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Amidst all this hand-wringing and woe-is-weeing is one inescapable fact: The Spurs, by most accounts, stand an excellent chance of having two rookies make the regular season roster and actually contribute, and it's not out of the question just yet that they won't have all three. Two hasn't happened since I've been a fan, and I'd guess the Spurs haven't come close to that since there were way more than two rounds of the draft. So all the doom and gloom about what a poor draft this is just shows a missing sense of Spurs history IMHO.

One could interpret that scenario differently to say the reason we haven't had 2-3 draft picks make the team is because we had quality players already on the team.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 09:18 PM
One could interpret that scenario differently to say the reason we haven't had 2-3 draft picks make the team is because we had quality players already on the team.

This is fairly it. An unusual number of rookies will make the team more because there are slots to fill rather than any of their inherent qualities.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2008, 09:23 PM
I fully believe that roster can win a championship next season. I'll hold my judgement until they've used the MLE fully and the LLE, but even then I believe they will have a great chance to win it all next year.

jay014
07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nba/teams/depth-chart/SA

tav1
07-20-2008, 09:53 PM
This is just not a good roster. Whatever promise the young players may have is years away. It's very sad to say, again, and that this may be the weakest team since the 2000-2002 trough years. Maybe the worst of the Duncan years. Ugh.

I think the roster is fine; the depth is fine. We need to add Thomas and a free agent swing like Nachbar and everything will work itself out. My only concern is relative lack of experience in the system. Because of this, I suspect things will be choppy early.

manufor3
07-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Devean George - 6'8" career 39% fg percentage and 34.1% 3p percentage.
Boki Nachbar - 6'9" career 40.6% fg percentage and 37.5% 3p percentage.

I'll go for Nachbar in the rotation:

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Mason/Ginobili/Finley
Bowen/Nachbar/Udoka/Gist
Duncan/Mahinmi/Bonner
Thomas/Oberto/

im sorry but boki is not a good option, bad for the spurs, good for a team like the bulls.

Joe Schmoogins
07-20-2008, 10:32 PM

How so? This roster is not yet complete, but even still, it is pretty solid and i'd say an upgrade to last season's. Who have we lost? Barry, Damon, Rob... Not a big deal. The only tough one to swallow of the three is Barry and he was nonexistant most of last season anyway. If we resign Finley and Thomas, we are in great shape. hill is an upgrade over damon and vaughn, mason will give us more than barry gave us last season, mahinmi is improved, and frankly i'd rather have gist growing in austin than horry rotting on the bench. Looks good from where I'm sitting.

ShoogarBear
07-20-2008, 10:38 PM

Don't even try to think about what happens if Mahinmi doesn't come through.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 10:39 PM
How so? This roster is not yet complete, but even still, it is pretty solid and i'd say an upgrade to last season's. Who have we lost?

What else do you think can be done, unless it's resigning Thomas and Finley? If those two stay this might average out from last year at best. The young players are all weaker, point by point, depending on how Mason does.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2008, 10:43 PM

One could interpret it that way if one were inclined to be incorrect. You're welcome to go back and find the last draft where the Spurs had two picks that actually made NBA rosters that year. I think it's only happened one time since 1990.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2008, 10:45 PM
This is fairly it. An unusual number of rookies will make the team more because there are slots to fill rather than any of their inherent qualities.

See the above post. Roster spots are about as tight as they've ever been on this team, and all three picks look like NBA players. I know you're married to the idea that this was a terrible draft. It doesn't look that way so far.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Even if the rookies make the team, their playing time will be limited. It will be the FA's who play more.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Or guys moving up in the rotation such as Bonner.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 10:49 PM
The roster does have its weaknesses. Is it a great roster? No. Have we had better? Yes. Can we win a championship with this roster? Yes. Are the odds great? No.

This roster can win, but there is absolutely no margin for error. Not to mention we are not done forming the roster yet...

SequSpur
07-20-2008, 10:50 PM

Parker
Ginobili
Bowen
Duncan
Oberto

Exactly.

This line up is shitty.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 10:52 PM
That team is better defensively than last years, except at the 4/5, but depending on who we add, that can change.

ducks
07-20-2008, 10:52 PM
tp will have to be better next year

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 10:53 PM
See the above post. Roster spots are about as tight as they've ever been on this team, and all three picks look like NBA players. I know you're married to the idea that this was a terrible draft. It doesn't look that way so far.

Roster spots aren't tight this year and, yes, it increasingly will look like a bad draft, although Gist is a bright spot at his selection. Hairston could be an NBA player down the road and Hill once again looks like a promising 2nd rounder. I'm not 'married' to anything, what a silly thing to say.

Again - and this is by far the better view - two or three rookies will make the team this year because there are slots to fill. In previous years those slots were already taken by veterans.

SequSpur
07-20-2008, 10:54 PM
the spurs will ave. 75 ppg next year.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 10:57 PM
the spurs will ave. 75 ppg next year.

That's the real problem with the roster. There's no scoring from the bench in any fashion. Counting Ginobili as a starter, only Mason has any purported skill in putting the ball in the hoop. This will be the worst scoring Spurs team in years. It's literally terrible.

tp2021
07-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Your whole shtick is complaining. Is there anything else you do, really? Some body of work that is.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-20-2008, 10:59 PM
That's the real problem with the roster. There's no scoring from the bench in any fashion. Counting Ginobili as a starter, only Mason has any purported skill in putting the ball in the hoop. This will be the worst scoring Spurs team in years. It's literally terrible.

Get a life.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Again - and this is by far the better view - two or three rookies will make the team this year because there are slots to fill. In previous years those slots were already taken by veterans.

:lol Yeah, it's really tragic all the great Spurs draft picks that had to be allowed to go to other NBA teams, and it's really too bad the Spurs couldn't get guys like Mahinmi, James White, Darius Washington and Marcus Williams into games last year because veterans like Mighty Mouse were already on the roster.

Obstructed_View
07-20-2008, 11:04 PM

See Hill, George.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Get a life.

Wtf, dude?

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:12 PM
See Hill, George.

I'm contrasting guys who have learned how to score in the league so far and the rookies. I'd love for Hill to start scoring at a 10 ppg clip, but it will take some time for him to get there. It's far more likely he requires slower development and may not get much time early on. Last year the team started off incredibly quick and managed to use that for good P.O. position. What will the bench be doing this year?

... but is it even worth discussing with you?

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:14 PM
Your whole shtick is complaining. Is there anything else you do, really? Some body of work that is.

Seriously, what is this bug up your ass? Am I supposed to jolly clap my hands like an epic retard and claim the Rookie Krew will be scoring over 30 ppg together game in and game out?

This forum is seriously infected with Tinkerbell Disease. Only clap hard enough and no one will suffer the laws of gravity. What a bunch of clods.

ChumpDumper
07-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I take great solace in the fact that Mr. Body was completely and utterly wrong about last year's draft.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:29 PM
I take great solace in the fact that Mr. Body was completely and utterly wrong about last year's draft.

Was I?

Are we talking Splitter/Williams? Or this continued fantasyland where people make shit up about what I've said?

ChumpDumper
07-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Was I?
Yes, you were.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:35 PM

Because I can't stick around and spar with the great babbling brook of excrement, I'll assume you're just making shit up.

I'll stab at the dark and guess you're pretending the Splitter draft, in my mind, was a bad one, and that Marcus Williams was not the best pick with the selection we got from Milwaukee.

In that case, a) you are incorrect, unsurprisingly. Splitter was an excellent pick there. Naturally things have changed since then, but at the time it was very good. b) I was surprised Williams was the pick and thought it was a bad selection. Despite the fact that few players turned out in the 2nd round at all so far, even you, in your benightedness, have to admit it didn't work out for the Spurs.

Uh... so that was 2 for 2? Hmm... 100% correct.

So tell me, how was I 'completely and utterly wrong' about last year's draft? Or are you just spewing garbage for no apparent reason?

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Yes, you were.

Wow, you stepped into it. What a Grade A Moron.

ChumpDumper
07-20-2008, 11:37 PM

So sensitive.

You were wrong. It happens to everyone but LJ, and he can edit his old threads.

ChumpDumper
07-20-2008, 11:37 PM
As I was saying--

Great solace.

Mr. Body
07-20-2008, 11:42 PM

So sensitive.

You were wrong. It happens to everyone but LJ, and he can edit his old threads.

Suck my dick. I'm sick of you.

You know what's truly bizarre? There's like this spreadsheet of bullshit where AggieDickWeed keeps claiming I said one thing years ago, Manny keeps claiming I said this other thing, and you come up with inane bullshit of your own. I don't know if it's a circlejerk way of keeping yourselves occupied or what. It truly doesn't matter a whole lot, but what's absolutely terrific about the situation is that I couldn't give a flying fig or a fuck what you guys say at any point of history on this board. I don't have this ongoing diary of abnormalities except I think Manny once suggested Maggette could run point when Parker is out. Otherwise I don't have this elephantine memory of ghostly indiscretions or something. I truly don't care what you have to say.

It's like you're a bunch of fat slobs with absolutely nothing going for you and inside the dessicated honeycombs of your brains you've found need to store up flecks of bullshit to pull up about various SpursTalk posters. Jesus, man. I don't doubt in two years you'll be claiming I was 'completely and utterly' wrong about the 2007 Spurs draft. I could set my watch by it.

So... kindly explain how I was wrong about the draft or else proceed to forthwith suck my dick. Thanks.

DPG21920
07-20-2008, 11:45 PM
As I was saying--

Great solace.

Predictable.

Obstructed_View
07-21-2008, 03:42 AM
I'm contrasting guys who have learned how to score in the league so far and the rookies. I'd love for Hill to start scoring at a 10 ppg clip, but it will take some time for him to get there. It's far more likely he requires slower development and may not get much time early on. Last year the team started off incredibly quick and managed to use that for good P.O. position. What will the bench be doing this year?

... but is it even worth discussing with you?

I guess it's not worth discussing, since contrasting the rookies is not what you were doing. Just FYI, Mason is the only guy the Spurs have added that isn't a rookie, and you are suggesting that he's a good scorer but the Spurs are going to be worse. It all goes back to your failed premise that Hill can't score based on his SL numbers.

Let's just go ahead and fix your previous statement, and add the proper emoticon:

This will be the worst scoring Spurs team in year. :madrun

koriwhat
07-21-2008, 04:24 AM
Suck my dick. I'm sick of you.

You know what's truly bizarre? There's like this spreadsheet of bullshit where AggieDickWeed keeps claiming I said one thing years ago, Manny keeps claiming I said this other thing, and you come up with inane bullshit of your own. I don't know if it's a circlejerk way of keeping yourselves occupied or what. It truly doesn't matter a whole lot, but what's absolutely terrific about the situation is that I couldn't give a flying fig or a fuck what you guys say at any point of history on this board. I don't have this ongoing diary of abnormalities except I think Manny once suggested Maggette could run point when Parker is out. Otherwise I don't have this elephantine memory of ghostly indiscretions or something. I truly don't care what you have to say.

It's like you're a bunch of fat slobs with absolutely nothing going for you and inside the dessicated honeycombs of your brains you've found need to store up flecks of bullshit to pull up about various SpursTalk posters. Jesus, man. I don't doubt in two years you'll be claiming I was 'completely and utterly' wrong about the 2007 Spurs draft. I could set my watch by it.

So... kindly explain how I was wrong about the draft or else proceed to forthwith suck my dick. Thanks.

ChumpDumper
07-21-2008, 04:36 AM
So... kindly explain how I was wrong about the draftYou loudly and repeatedly declared it the deepest and most imporatant draft ever.

And you even admitted you were wrong around the time of this year's draft.

You are very entertaining that way.

So yeah, your ranting about this draft and how much it sucks makes me feel pretty good about it, since you were so wrong last year.

You say a bunch of stupid stuff, repeat the same stupid stuff and you are wrong quite often.

That's all I'm saying. If I really make you as angry as you seem from your last post, feel free to ignore my posts while continuing to be wrong. It's definitely not as big a deal as you are trying to make it, internets tough guy.

timvp
07-21-2008, 05:02 AM
What's funny is that when Spurs fans as a whole are all happy with the offseason, the Spurs end up flaming out in the playoffs. When Spurs fans are pissed about the offseason, the Spurs go on to win championships.

This phenomenon has held true for pretty much the entire Tim Duncan Era.

MannyIsGod
07-21-2008, 07:42 AM
WTF has Mr. Body ever been right about? Seriously? I mean just last week he was claiming that the teardrop Tony Parker DEVELOPED after his first few seasons was a talent that couldn't be learned. He'd definitely an expert on contract buy outs. His draft analysis is on par with Finely's 2008 playoff shooting.

Now he's claiming that this years tea is a downgrade when all they've really done is replace Barry with Mason and Mason is younger, plays better defense, and PUT UP BETTER STATS than Barry did last year.

We may very well turn out to be worse next year but there is no way to tell because NBA games are not played on paper. If we get a healthy Manu for the entire season and if we are able to get productive minutes out of Ian, Hill, and Mason then this team will be better than last years and it won't even be close.

Whatever, if Mr. Body wants to sit here and argue that the Spurs lose the mid summer on paper championship then so be it.

PS - There's a reason many of us give you shit for being wrong. You usually are. You could tell me the sky was blue and I'd have to run outside to make sure somthing hadn't happend before I believed you or took your opinion at face value.

PPS - Find the post where I said Corey Maggette could play point guard please. I never said anything that stupid. There's a reason we actually remember the stupid shit you say and its because what you say is REALLY FUCKING STUPID. I mean com'on, how would Holt save money on a buyout? Williams would have to take less money, RIGHT?

pad300
07-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Now he's claiming that this years tea is a downgrade when all they've really done is replace Barry with Mason and Mason is younger, plays better defense, and PUT UP BETTER STATS than Barry did last year.

I'm not gonna say Mr. Body is the sharpest tool in the box, but where are you getting this Mason put up better stats than Business

STAT Barry Vs. Mason Vs Finley
EFG% .631 .552 .501
82Games Passing Rating 4.7 3.7 2.0
82Games Rebounding Rating 10.8 8.2 12.2
82 Games Hands Rating 21.0 14.7 19.2

Rebound Rate 5.9 4.5% 6.8
TO% 1.2 1.5 0.9
AST% 16.1 13.2 8.6
3P% 42.9 39.8 37.0

Barry kicks Mason's ass 3 ways to Sunday on statistics... The guy Mason should be replacing (and would be an upgrade from, statistically), is Finley. He rebounds less, and has more TO's, but he passes much better and is a better shooter. I'm sure Mason plays better defense than either Barry or Finley, because both of them suck, and he's younger than either, but I'm gonna be A) pissed, and B) mystified if the FO decides that bringing back Finley is smarter than bringing back Barry. If they have, as it appears, decided that Barry ain't good enough, then Finley should be back either...

wisnub
07-21-2008, 11:46 AM
this talk becoming pretty intense..... i really hope that spurs build solid nucleus team that can repeat. thats the bottomline

wisnub
07-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Let us fans keep our head cool....just like what our players did on the court. Spurs player are known for their obedience on and off the court. Try to copy the positive traits. There have been attempts to make our player's images bad by Suns player but overall everybody that watch NBA games know the truth about Spurs character.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 12:17 PM

Don't get in the way of Mr. Body with facts or anything positive. Ever since they broke his heart and didn't sign Javtokas for the MLE, he's hated our front office.

Streakyshooter08
07-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Well, I am also one of the guys who is not too thrilled about the roster. But there are a few things to consider.

a) it is only July, there is a lot of time to pull of a trade (they still have LLE, rest of MLE and TE)
b) there haven't been a lot better reasonable options with the moneythey had

Of course, getting Maggette would have been nice but the chances have been slim. J.R. Smith would have gotten matched, especially after they dumped Cambys contract. Other than that, I don't know what else the Spurs could have done. Giving Posey 4 years full MLE is risky.

I wonder if the Spurs could have signed Barnes for the LLE but it does not matter because they simply did not do it.

I'll wait for judgement about the draft until I have seen Hill play some NBA minutes. I completley agreed that they picked a PG because there haven't been a lot decent PGs in free agency.

The choice to become younger is good. But the main object is to get better. Then again, as I pointed out it is tough to do it with the money they had. I think Thomas will be back.

Here are a few players I they could look at if they don't like Gist:

Dorell Wright (hard to get because he is restricted)
Ricky Davis (a real scorer but might be to expensive and could become a cancer)

If the right deal comes along I would not be too surprised if the Spurs pull off a minor trade. I would focus on a post player. I am also not too high on Bonner playing extended minutes. But we will see. Here is a depth chart I would be satisfied with considering the remaining options:

Parker/ Hill/ Vaughn*
Mason/ Ginobili
Bowen/ Udoka/ Wright
Duncan/ Bonner/ Gist*
Oberto/ Thomas/ Mahinmi

*= IL

bigdog
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
Nachbar has agreed to a contract with Dynamo Moscow, I think.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM

Given what happened this past year with our veterans getting used as turnstiles by faster, younger players, I can't fathom why you would bitch about us getting younger.

Oh yeah, nevermind, that's because it's all you do.

If we had kept our vets, you would bitch about us being old.

Now we're going with the youth movement, you're bitching about us going too young.

If we kept a couple of vets and got a couple of younger players, you'd bitch we didn't get young enough/keep enough vets.

Lame.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 12:23 PM
There's like this spreadsheet of bullshit where AggieDickWeed keeps claiming I said one thing years ago

Um, everyone who has been around remembers you bitching that we should give Javtokas the full MLE to come over. Then he stayed in Europe and couldn't even get off the fucking pine with some shit Euro team.

You have the player evaluation skills of a brick wall.

ceperez
07-21-2008, 12:25 PM

Certainly going to have a tough time for the Spurs to sign someone in FA. That's just too bad!

Even Childress (who the Spurs can't afford) may be sign with a European club.

Russian oil money definitely puts a damper on things!

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:25 PM
you forgot spurs did not sign the right rookies

duncan228
07-21-2008, 12:37 PM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101653

Spurs Brazil
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
What's funny is that when Spurs fans as a whole are all happy with the offseason, the Spurs end up flaming out in the playoffs. When Spurs fans are pissed about the offseason, the Spurs go on to win championships.

That's true. In 07 we won after we add E.Williams, Bonner, Elson, Butler Vaughn and giving Oberto more playing time.

ShoogarBear
07-21-2008, 06:25 PM

Most fans were pissed about last offseason.

OleMissMike
07-22-2008, 12:22 PM
So we got 15 roster spots which breaks down like this so far:

SC Thomas, Oberto,
PF Duncan, Mahinmi, Gist
SF Bowen, Udoka, Tolliver
SG Ginobili, Mason, Finley
PG Parker, Hill, Vaughn
Bench: Bonner- (i hope this guy never get out of street clothes)

Wel
Thomas signed today
Hill is going to be signed by the end of the month

That leaves two spots: My guess is we sign Anthony Tolliver and bring back Father Time Finley. I really dont mind what we got set up for this year. I could do without Bonner obviously, and i still cringe when Wesley Snipes Vaughn touches the ball. Also could some one show Oberto how do dunk instead of laying it in. Anyway it would tickle my pickle to see us find one more Center that could maybe come in to games like Kevin Willis and throw a Bow in Kobe or Pau's face. I just want a 7'0 Pogo Stick that could jump and hustle like crazy...yes for all you pessmists I know its not feasible just saying. Whatever happend to Keon Clark, i mean he couldn't spell his name but he had some sharp elbos.

EJK5032
07-23-2008, 11:51 AM
bring back Finley........the guy can still be a good situational 3pt shooter.
trade Bonner for a future second round pick, if anyone even wants him......or you gotta flat out waive him. Gotta give that roster spot to Hairston.

I like the athleticism and energy being shown by Gist, Tolliver, and Hairston.......they all need to make the roster......more upside than Bonner.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 11:55 AM
What's an SC?

ChumpDumper
07-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Small Center

EJK5032
07-23-2008, 11:56 AM
What's an SC?

small center

nil.ball
07-23-2008, 12:11 PM
What's an SC?

I think it stand for "the Suck Center".

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 12:11 PM
No it's already been clarified. It's small center.

MoSpur
07-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Go after Ryan Gomes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Go after Ryan Gomes.

Some reports have him talking to Cleveland for the MLE.

Tully365
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Go after Ryan Gomes.

I can't picture a scenario where that happens, but I think he'd fit perfectly now, and it looks more & more like Minnesota might not keep him. At the end of the season, McHale said he was their Free agency priority, but has since resigned Telfair and Smith, and acquired Love, Cardinal, and Carney. I've wracked my brain trying to think of a way to get him, but can't come up with anything. A one year deal for what's left of the MLE with the chance to be unrestricted is a long shot, but Gomes more than most players might take that chance to play with a winner and get his bigger payday next year.

Imagine the depth chart:

Parker/ Hill/ Vaughn
Mason/ Ginobili
Bowen/ Udoka/ Gist
Duncan/ Gomes/ Bonner
Thomas/ Oberto/ Mahinmi

Brutalis
07-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Why do people make this thread several times a week?

FromWayDowntown
07-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Is this the thread with the Real depth chart, the Real Depth Chart, the Really Real Depth Chart, or the Really Really Really Really Real Depth Chart?

I want to be sure I'm posting in the right place and not just talking about hypotheticals.

remingtonbo2001
07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
:lmao @ FWD

stretch
07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
squad is not looking very good... not like it was a couple years ago...

ChumpDumper
07-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Looks fine. It's counting on the development of some young guys, but I actually prefer that to hoping for a delay in the shittification of the older players' games.

Obstructed_View
07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Looks fine. It's counting on the development of some young guys, but I actually prefer that to hoping for a delay in the shittification of the older players' games.

When a Mavs fan says it's not looking good, that's a good thing for the Spurs, particularly since they lost to the Mavericks "a couple of years ago".

Indazone
07-23-2008, 05:04 PM
That doesnt look too bad for the Spurs. I would still add a spot on 3 pt shooter though. I don't know how Mason/Gist or Hill are at shooting the 3 ball. I do know that Parker and Ginobili are marginal 3 pt shooters.

Steve-O-Matic
07-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Is Tolliver being considered a SF now?

DROB4EVER
07-23-2008, 07:55 PM

Not likely to play the three. Hes a shooting 4 and most likely thats all he will ever be.

Manufan909
07-23-2008, 08:34 PM
That doesnt look too bad for the Spurs. I would still add a spot on 3 pt shooter though. I don't know how Mason/Gist or Hill are at shooting the 3 ball. I do know that Parker and Ginobili are marginal 3 pt shooters.

Maybe Tony, but Manu's great from the 3. Mason is also a great 3 shooter, around 40% as I recall. No idea on Gist or Hill, but I wouldn't count on either of them. If Tolliver makes it, we have another shooting big man. And whenever Finley isn't in a coma, he's good from behing the arc as well.

SpursFanInAustin
07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
squad is not looking very good... not like it was a couple years ago...

At least this squad looks able to win in the first round of the playoffs. :toast

BradLohaus
07-23-2008, 08:53 PM
If Mason can shoot 40% on 3's in Washington then I've got high hopes for his 3pt% here.

sa_butta
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Why do people make this thread several times a week?
I was thinking the same thing, can we wait till closer to camp. By that time the name of the thread will be "The Realest of all depth charts Part V."

Kori Ellis
07-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Maybe a more accurate way to dub the Spurs team:

Bigs: Duncan, Thomas, Mahinmi, Oberto
Small Power Forwards: Tolliver, Gist
Wings: Ginobili, Bowen, Mason, Udoka, *Finley

Bonner?

ceperez
07-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Okay, it's July 23rd and we have signed Thomas and Tolliver

C Thomas Oberto Mahinmi,
SF Bowen Udoka Gist (R)
SG Mason Ginobili Finley(FA)

We have yet to sign Finley, Gist and Hill. With only 12 players on an active roster wit 3 on reserve, it's becoming real dicey as to who is in the reserve list.

C Thomas Oberto Mahinmi,
SF Bowen Udoka Gist (R)
SG Mason Ginobili Finley(FA)

Marked in bold is most likely a reserve player. I doubt Finley or Bonner are going to be thrilled as a reserve player. I would prefer however that our younger players get enough playing time.

I've got my fingers crossed, hoping that we DON'T sign Finley. He's just going to take away playing time from our younger players. We need them to develop fast!

stretch
07-24-2008, 04:14 PM
At least this squad looks able to win in the first round of the playoffs. :toast

lol oversensitive

SpursFanInAustin
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
lol oversensitive

Nah, not really :hat

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Only by people who haven't been paying attention.

tav1
07-24-2008, 06:15 PM
My second mea culpa in 2 days. Yesterday I had to soften my stance on Ginobli's trade value and today I'm going to eat crow and say that the jury is still out on Hairston--whom, after 1 SL game, I pronounced a "bust." Not so fast, it seems.

The chances of Hairston making the team are extremely slim, but I think Spurs brass will still give him a fair shake in training camp. I did not see his final two game RMR games, but they represented marked statistical improvement. Maybe Hairston simply waited too long to assert himself and has not shown his best yet. The final roster spot will come down to Hairston and Gist, with Gist being the heavy favorite. I'd prefer that final spot to come down to Hairston and Finley (or some other LLE reserve guard). But you can't have everything.

Now, this is all assuming Bonner. If he is moved, then all bets are off.

Big Empty
08-27-2018, 03:32 PM
So now that Manu has made it official, whats the depth chart and rotations at the 2 gonna look like?

BillMc
08-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Why is a 10 year old thread bumped?

spurraider21
08-27-2018, 03:57 PM
Why is a 10 year old thread bumped?
depth chart is still evolving