PDA

View Full Version : Suns sign Barnes for the minimum

timvp
07-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Suns near deal with Barnes

by Doug Haller

Free-agent forward Matt Barnes is scheduled to arrive in Phoenix Monday, expecting to sign a one-year veteran's minimum deal with the Suns after completing a physical.

Barnes, 28, spent the last two seasons mostly in a reserve role with the Golden State Warriors. He collected a career-best 9.8 points and 4.6 rebounds in 2007. Last year, he averaged 6.7 points and 4.4 rebounds in 19.4 minutes.

General Manager Steve Kerr and coach Terry Porter talked with Barnes by phone last week from Las Vegas, where the Suns were in NBA Summer League action. In his seventh season, Barnes is expected to make $1.2 million, but the Suns will pay only $797,000. The rest will come from a league fund.

Barnes, 6-foot-7 and 226 pounds, also has played for Philadelphia, New York, Sacramento and the Clippers since his college days at UCLA. He has averaged 6.1 points over his career, shooting 32 percent from 3-point range.

Once Barnes signs, the Suns still will need to sign two more players to reach the 13-man roster minimum. Finding a backup for point guard Steve Nash remains a priority. Reports surfaced last week that second-round draft pick Goran Dragic had decided to stay in Europe, but a decision hasn't been made.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/07/20/20080720barnes.html

:wakeup

wisnub
07-20-2008, 11:54 PM
fuck...i thought we could use him since we dump horry

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Shit. Why the fuck wouldn't we sign him for the min??? :pctoss

ss1986v2
07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
you speak as if all the spurs have to do is say the word and it shall be. maybe barnes didnt want to play here?

DynastyBuilder
07-20-2008, 11:58 PM
well hell

Buddy Holly
07-20-2008, 11:58 PM
I guess that ends the "he won't pay outside of Cali" bs heard time after time. lol

mystargtr34
07-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Obviously he felt he could do more in the Suns style of game.... but they look to be a slow it down type of team this season.

Oh well

The Franchise
07-21-2008, 12:00 AM
It's not to late. Add another 4 or 500k and a couple more years and he will definitely say fuck the Suns. It's not to late but we're down to hours now.

rj215
07-21-2008, 12:06 AM
Another one bites the dust :cuss

K-State Spur
07-21-2008, 12:09 AM
I guess that ends the "he won't pay outside of Cali" bs heard time after time. lol

2 things:

a) you can wake up in the morning in PHX drive to LA by noon, it's not a long jaunt.

b) Pop probably just didn't like how he would fit into this team altogether, regardless of price.

loveforthegame
07-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Nice move by Phoenix. The Spurs must not have been interested if he's signing a 1 year deal at the minimum.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:10 AM
That will be a very nice signing for the Suns, especially for that money.

wisnub
07-21-2008, 12:12 AM
I got no idea why FO didnt sign him for minimum..I guess Pop thinks that will not work.

itzsoweezee
07-21-2008, 12:13 AM
more teams passing the spurs by

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:14 AM
LOL at everyone being pissed they didn't sign this guy. He excelled in one the most disorganized and hectic offenses in the NBA under Nelson, aside from a slightly good season and really good playoff first round in 2007, this guy has done nothing except lose time to Azubuike.

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:15 AM
more teams passing the spurs by

Yeah, Barnes puts the Suns over the top. :nope

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:16 AM
I got no idea why FO didnt sign him for minimum..I guess Pop thinks that will not work.

barnes must want guarantee minutes
and things suns o is more his style then spurs

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:18 AM
LOL at everyone being pissed they didn't sign this guy. He excelled in one the most disorganized and hectic offenses in the NBA under Nelson, aside from a slightly good season and really good playoff first round in 2007, this guy has done nothing except lose time to Azubuike.

Considering Azubuike is now making 3M for 3 years, Barnes for this money, or even for the rest of our MLE combined with our other signings (Mason, potentially Hill and KT) would have made for a nice off-season. Those 4 players automatically make us better defensively than we were last year.

There are still other players out there, but for the vets min for 1 year, that is a good deal.

misterx91578
07-21-2008, 12:19 AM
2 things:

a) you can wake up in the morning in PHX drive to LA by noon, it's not a long jaunt.

b) Pop probably just didn't like how he would fit into this team altogether, regardless of price.

its about a 5 to 6 hour drive depends on your speed of course

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Yeah, Barnes puts the Suns over the top. :nope

He would not put anyone over the top. Just like everyone on the Spurs outside Tim, Manu, Tony and Bruce (who will decline), no one does. They just fill in and help the big 3 maintain in contention if they are healthy and playing well.

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
He would not put anyone over the top. Just like everyone on the Spurs outside Tim, Manu, Tony and Bruce (who will decline), no one does. They just fill in and help the big 3 maintain in contention if they are healthy and playing well.

I understand that, but by tomorrow afternoon you will realize a lot of dimwitted folks will have had a meltdown here because the Spurs didn't sign this player.

MavDynasty
07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
what the fuck? For the min...wow nice PHX

ElNono
07-21-2008, 12:24 AM
You also have to remember that the Spurs are only offering 2 year deals at the most, like they did with Mason. A lot of free agents are looking for longer contracts. They also need some of that money left to lure KT back, and potentially sign the Gist and Tollivers and what not rookies...

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:24 AM
suns signed him for one year not 3

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Christ, it's the vet minimum people. If they signed him and Pop didn't like him after the fact, they could have just waived him.

I'd come around to giving the FO the benefit of the doubt this summer so far, but this one's a head scratcher.

The whole west coast security blanket thing is overhyped. Does anyone really think he would have turned down the remainder of the MLE that we had left in favor of the veteran minimum deal with Phoenix?

timvp
You also have to remember that the Spurs are only offering 2 year deals at the most, like they did with Mason. A lot of free agents are looking for longer contracts.Did you read the article?

Aggie Hoopsfan
You also have to remember that the Spurs are only offering 2 year deals at the most, like they did with Mason. A lot of free agents are looking for longer contracts.

You suck at reading comprehension.

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Would people be happy with Mo Evans?

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Did you read the article?

:lol

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Christ, it's the vet minimum people. If they signed him and Pop didn't like him after the fact, they could have just waived him.

I'd come around to giving the FO the benefit of the doubt this summer so far, but this one's a head scratcher.

The whole west coast security blanket thing is overhyped. Does anyone really think he would have turned down the remainder of the MLE that we had left in favor of the veteran minimum deal with Phoenix?

barnes probly thought he could get more touches in suns systle
since it is like gs
and try to cash in next year

ElNono
07-21-2008, 12:28 AM
Did you read the article?

Yes,I did. I accidentally clicked post before completing my comment. I updated it now.

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:29 AM

You have to take into consideration that he said no to SA because of probably playing time, how the Spurs play, etc. Maybe he felt playing with someone like Nash who could possibly make him look better (like he does everyone) would net him a bigger contract next summer.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:29 AM
I understand that, but by tomorrow afternoon you will realize a lot of dimwitted folks will have had a meltdown here because the Spurs didn't sign this player.

Everyone is clamoring for another FA, just part of being a fan. I think people are just upset because in their minds, Barnes for the rest of what we had in the MLE would have been a surprise and he could help. Suns getting him for the vet min makes it harder to swallow.

Hopefully some of the other guys in his range will have the same mindset and the Spurs can get someone for that cheap. There is still help out there.

Maybe this also shows that they think Gist can play the 3/4 for us, so they do not need to go after that position?

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:30 AM
You also have to remember that the Spurs are only offering 2 year deals at the most, like they did with Mason. A lot of free agents are looking for longer contracts. They also need some of that money left to lure KT back, and potentially sign the Gist and Tollivers and what not rookies...

What does KT or the rooks have to do with the LLE or remainder of the MLE?

Nothing. That played no part in it. Spurs are not near the lux tax.

DPG21920
Would people be happy with Mo Evans?

That is exactly the kind of player I was thinking when writing my last post.

ElNono
You suck at reading comprehension.

Not really. It's just not that easy to post with this iPod Touch.

ss1986v2
07-21-2008, 12:31 AM

lets look at it this way: out of all of the other teams in the nba, you dont think someone might have offered more than the vet min over one year? do we really think that was the best offer he received? for example, boston couldnt pony up 2 mil now that posey is gone?

right now, i have a hard time believing that every team in the league passed on barnes and the suns were left to scoop him up for next to nothing. there might be more to this than just who offered the most money.

Aggie Hoopsfan
barnes probly thought he could get more touches in suns systle
since it is like gs
and try to cash in next year

Yes ducks, I get it. He could have shown off just as much here for 2 million a year as he could in Phoenix.

Or are you saying he will get more touches on a team with Amare, Nash, Gill, Barbosa, and Shaq on it than he would have on SA with Manu, Tony, Tim, and assorted role players?

ducks
suns shot in less then 7 seconds
thus get more touches

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:32 AM
As I was saying, I hope that other players in Barnes range have his mindset of taking 1 year small contracts in hopes of a bigger payday next year.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 12:32 AM
They also need some of that money left to lure KT back, and potentially sign the Gist and Tollivers and what not rookies...

Management has shown a propensity for going up to the lux tax. It isn't a concern this summer, even if some team offers Kurt the full MLE.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:33 AM
suns shot in less then 7 seconds
thus get more touches

Dude, you realize that Dantoni is gone right?

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Yes ducks, I get it. He could have shown off just as much here for 2 million a year as he could in Phoenix.

Or are you saying he will get more touches on a team with Amare, Nash, Gill, Barbosa, and Shaq on it than he would have on SA with Manu, Tony, Tim, and assorted role players?

Nash nearly made Gordon Giricek look decent for the short time he was there. Barnes probably sees this as playing on a high profile team where he can possibly boast his stats with playing time and Nash so to have an end result of a big pay day next summer.

ducks
Dude, you realize that Dantoni is gone right?

suns team is still built fast pace like gs

Aggie Hoopsfan
lets look at it this way: out of all of the other teams in the nba, you dont think someone might have offered more than the vet min over one year? do we really think that was the best offer he received? for example, boston couldnt pony up 2 mil now that posey is gone?

Obviously not. Barnes isn't looking for a ring. He's looking to get paid. Probably the only parameter he and his agent were working on was it had to be a one year deal as he's been looking for a longer term deal for quite a while now.

And with where he is at, he would have jumped at 2.1 million for one year from SA instead of the 1.2 he got from Phoenix.

right now, i have a hard time believing that every team in the league passed on barnes and the suns were left to scoop him up for next to nothing. there might be more to this than just who offered the most money.

The only way your scenario makes sense is if there's some under the table deal going on between Phoenix and him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Nash nearly made Gordon Giricek look decent for the short time he was there. Barnes probably sees this as playing on a high profile team where he can possibly boast his stats with playing time and Nash so to have an end result of a big pay day next summer.

That might be valid if D'Antoni were still there. With Terry Porter? Not so much.

ss1986v2
07-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Obviously not. Barnes isn't looking for a ring. He's looking to get paid. Probably the only parameter he and his agent were working on was it had to be a one year deal as he's been looking for a longer term deal for quite a while now.

And with where he is at, he would have jumped at 2.1 million for one year from SA instead of the 1.2 he got from Phoenix.

The only way your scenario makes sense is if there's some under the table deal going on between Phoenix and him.

what if he simply wanted to play for the suns over playing for the spurs?

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:37 AM
That might be valid if D'Antoni were still there. With Terry Porter? Not so much.

Nash isn't a great point guard with incredible court vision? Or was that all D'Antoni?

The Suns will still be capable of running and gunning even if Porter turns them into a total half court team (which he won't).

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:38 AM
suns team is still built fast pace like gs

No it is not anymore. The acquisition of Shaq and losing Coach D will slow them down. Will they look to run, sure sometimes. This will be a different Suns team than you are used to seeing.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:39 AM
what if he simply wanted to play for the suns over playing for the spurs?

Bingo. Or like I said, the Spurs may think Gist is better for that spot and they did not make him an offer. I find that hard to believe because Pop likes experience, but it is not unthinkable.

ElNono
07-21-2008, 12:40 AM
What does KT or the rooks have to do with the LLE or remainder of the MLE?

Nothing. That played no part in it. Spurs are not near the lux tax.

It has to do with the fact that this team is extremely savvy with where they spend their money. They won't even spend the LLE or whatever is left of the MLE if necessary.

Buddy Holly
They also have Lopez who will probably play more than Shaq sooner than later.

ducks
they will try to play d
they have not gotten any different players
barnes fits the suns way of the past coach

porters o is going to look alot like the other suns coach
he will just stress d

weebo
07-21-2008, 12:41 AM
This guy should help Phx. Good pick up by the suns.

Buddy Holly
It has to do with the fact that this team is extremely savvy with where they spend their money. They won't even spend the LLE or whatever is left of the MLE if necessary.

Why? Because they didn't sign Barnes?

The Spurs will use the LLE and will use the remainder of their MLE.

ducks
steve kerr was on record he did not mind the o just the lack of commintment to d

E20
07-21-2008, 12:43 AM
I guess Barnes did not want to come to SA.

ducks
anyteam would be lucky to have him for this deal
he choice a team that runs the same style o as his former team

spurs front office missed out but so did lakers,mavs,boston, hornets, jazz

DPG21920
steve kerr was on record he did not mind the o just the lack of commintment to d

Of course he did not mind the O, they were scoring 106+ points a night. Why did he bring Shaq in? Why did Coach D get run out? If you truly commit to D, you will naturally lose some opportunities to run.

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Of course he did not mind the O, they were scoring 106+ points a night. Why did he bring Shaq in? Why did Coach D get run out? If you truly commit to D, you will naturally lose some opportunities to run.

they brought him in to get the rebound and run

I watched alot of suns games
I live in az

angelbelow
07-21-2008, 12:45 AM
perhaps the spurs tried and barnes didnt want to come. how is that a possibility that almost noone can think of.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:46 AM
they brought him in to get the rebound and run

I watched alot of suns games
I live in az

So do I and I live in Dallas. They brought Shaq in to run?

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:47 AM
So do I and I live in Dallas. They brought Shaq in to run?

they brought him in to rebound and block
can not run without the ball:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Then how were they running before?

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:48 AM

with their leggs

ElNono
07-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Management has shown a propensity for going up to the lux tax. It isn't a concern this summer, even if some team offers Kurt the full MLE.

It is indeed a problem because Kurt is unrestricted, so if he gets a juicy full MLE plus 3 years contract, the Spurs might be hard pressed to match or better the offer. This is where my 2 years and 2010 plan concerns crop up. And if you let Kurt walk, we have some serious problem with Oberto/Bonner being our Center rotation.

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:49 AM

marion was a cancer
they needed to do a move to try to win a title
it backfired
suns are a mess

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:50 AM
with their leggs

You said they are a running team (7 seconds or less). You said they brought in Shaq to run because you can not run without the ball. I asked you how were they running in 7 seconds or less before Shaq.

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 12:51 AM
It is indeed a problem because Kurt is unrestricted, so if he gets a juicy full MLE plus 3 years contract, the Spurs might be hard pressed to match or better the offer. This is where my 2 years and 2010 plan concerns crop up. And if you let Kurt walk, we have some serious problem with Oberto/Bonner being our Center rotation.

So you've gone from money being the issue to years.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Shaq for Marion did not allow them to run more or just as much. It slowed them down, as will their new found commitment to defense.

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:52 AM
they did when amare got the rebound

they also got shaq to help guard duncan
so amare would not have to foul out trying to guard duncan
so they could get the rebound and run

DPG21920
perhaps the spurs tried and barnes didnt want to come. how is that a possibility that almost noone can think of.

We have said that. We also have thought that maybe the F.O. thinks Gist is a better fit.

ducks
Shaq for Marion did not allow them to run more or just as much. It slowed them down, as will their new found commitment to defense.

no one knows for sure until porter shows what his o will be

mystargtr34
07-21-2008, 12:53 AM
At this point, i would be happy with Ricky Davis but he will probably get a large portion of a MLE from someone.

Maybe for 2 years on the LLE... probly should get off the crackpipe.

Mo Evans is probably a better fit anyway...

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:55 AM

The only thing that is a problem in this scenario is that KT is an unrestricted free agent. That means if he feels indebted to the team that gave him that offer or likes what they told him, he does not give the Spurs a chance to match.

Other than that, the Spurs are in position to pay KT around 6M per year, sign some more players with the MLE/LLE and sign 2 rookies for the minimum rookie contracts and just be under the luxury tax threshold

Streakyshooter08
07-21-2008, 12:55 AM
:pctoss

ElNono
07-21-2008, 12:57 AM

Why? Because they didn't sign Barnes?

The Spurs will use the LLE and will use the remainder of their MLE.

Who cares about Barnes? He's only been glorified by Mave fans when Dirk was choking two years ago. I personally doubt the Spurs handed out an offer sheet his way. And as far as money management, you need to go back and read how we almost don't extend TP to save a few dollars, or how the Rockets love us for handing out Scola to save a few bucks, while Bonner has season tickets on the bench.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 12:58 AM
At this point, i would be happy with Ricky Davis but he will probably get a large portion of a MLE from someone.

Maybe for 2 years on the LLE... probly should get off the crackpipe.

Mo Evans is probably a better fit anyway...

I think Ricky is the better fit, but I do not know if he can be had for that cheap. I think he likes Miami and they would give him that much.

I would be thrilled with either of them. But that still leaves us thin at the 3.

Steve-O-Matic
07-21-2008, 12:59 AM
I will never understand the fascination that many here have for Matt Barnes. He is an immensely average player, but if all you read was this board you'd think he was some sort of God damn Walt Frazier.

ElNono
07-21-2008, 12:59 AM
marion was a cancer
they needed to do a move to try to win a title
it backfired
suns are a mess

Wow, I can actually say I agree with ducks for once

E20
07-21-2008, 01:03 AM
I will never understand the fascination that many here have for Matt Barnes. He is an immensely average player, but if all you read was this board you'd think he was some sort of God damn Walt Frazier.
He's what the Spurs despertealy(sp) need. A long tall swing player who is atheltic can hit the three, although he is known to be a bit streaky and is a balla. So people here naturally overrate him.

Spurtacus
07-21-2008, 01:06 AM
What the fuck!!!!

I'm starting to believe some of that FO bullshit now.

ElNono
07-21-2008, 01:10 AM
The only thing that is a problem in this scenario is that KT is an unrestricted free agent. That means if he feels indebted to the team that gave him that offer or likes what they told him, he does not give the Spurs a chance to match.

Other than that, the Spurs are in position to pay KT around 6M per year, sign some more players with the MLE/LLE and sign 2 rookies for the minimum rookie contracts and just be under the luxury tax threshold

You surely are daydreaming if you think this FO is going to offer Kurt Thomas a 3 year contract starting at 6M.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Where in my post did I say 3 years?

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:15 AM
I think you are day dreaming if you think a team will offer KT the full MLE. It could happen, but I doubt it. That would make the Spurs think make them really have to be smart with their signings. However, like I said, the only true threat as of right now is that he is a UFA and does not have to give the Spurs a chance to match. But he will.

ElNono
07-21-2008, 01:22 AM
I think you are day dreaming if you think a team will offer KT the full MLE. It could happen, but I doubt it. That would make the Spurs think make them really have to be smart with their signings. However, like I said, the only true threat as of right now is that he is a UFA and does not have to give the Spurs a chance to match. But he will.

To be honest, I think I just want that situation to be over with. It's hard to really plan aheah when something like that is in the air. And as far as ridiculous contracts go, savvy big men are at a premium in this league, if you don't believe me go take a look at the Eric Dampier contract, or the brand new contract Diop signed. And to me, they're not even half the player Kurt is.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:24 AM
They are much younger. Dampier for all that people say, would dramatically improve the Spurs and so would Diop.

ElNono
07-21-2008, 01:26 AM
They are much younger. Dampier for all that people say, would dramatically improve the Spurs and so would Diop.

I completely disagree. But everybody is entitled to an opinion.

Man of Steel
07-21-2008, 01:38 AM
with their leggs

Good one, Ducks!!

But you nearly killed me--almost choked on my sandwich laughing so hard.
:lmao

Buddy Holly
07-21-2008, 01:42 AM
This already has 4 pages. I'm predicting a 15+ thread.

mojorizen7
07-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Outstanding signing, just about when i was ready to call up some hard-piping friends of mine to erase KERR/SARVER from the picture for this putrid fucking off-season we've had thusfar too........nice.
Baby Marion for a BARGAIN price.....good work KERR.

Bruno
07-21-2008, 03:05 AM
I don't even think Spurs were interested in him.

Spurs will likely have Ginobili, Bowen, Udoka, Mason and Finley at SG/SF for the next year. I highly doubt they are looking for a 6th vet swingman.

bostonguy
07-21-2008, 03:08 AM
It is euphoria in Phoenix.

oMAWryPSueY

your_pimp
07-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Another free agent out of the Spurs wish list..LOl :lol

Your front office is a failure!!!

Obstructed_View
07-21-2008, 03:24 AM

Since he signed with the Suns for the minimum, that'd be my guess, too. :lol

JFWY

your_pimp
07-21-2008, 03:25 AM
Since he signed with the Suns for the minimum, that'd be my guess, too. :lol

JFWY

The Spurs have always been interested in Barnes, even before he was in GS...

Barnes didn't want to come to SA is obvious

anakha
07-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Another free agent out of the SpursTalk wish list..LOl :lol

Your front office is a failure!!!

And Louis screws up again. :lmao

SenorSpur
07-21-2008, 03:35 AM
Fuck!

Obstructed_View
07-21-2008, 03:53 AM
The Spurs have always been interested in Barnes, even before he was in GS...

Barnes didn't want to come to SA is obvious

The Spurs wanted him so bad they didn't even offer him more than the league minimum for one year. I'm sure Barnes would have been willing to take the least he could possibly take in order to play for a rookie head coach and geriatric superstars. :lol

ceperez
07-21-2008, 05:22 AM
Looks like the Free Agent market is on free fall!

Matt Barnes for the league minimum. It looks like he wasn't in any position to bargain.

Question then is did we paid too much for Roger Mason?

The situation right now is that there are very few teams with cap space and after seeing the Nuggets give Camby away for free and the Suns getting Barnes for the minimum, teams aren't going to spend over the cap. Add the other problem of European leagues paying more. Delfino got the equivalent of 9M/year.

Barnes at 29% from the 3pg % doesn't look like a Spur.

kobyz
07-21-2008, 06:29 AM
we should sign him with the rest of the MLE

Kori Ellis
07-21-2008, 06:42 AM

Spurs will likely have Ginobili, Bowen, Udoka, Mason and Finley at SG/SF for the next year. I highly doubt they are looking for a 6th vet swingman.

True. I'm a Barnes fan, but I think Finley is coming back and that's enough swingmen. I hope the Spurs are out looking for a backup PF right now, not a wing.

Sissiborgo
07-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Spurs are shitting their pants they aint signing any free agents! :/

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Not really. It's just not that easy to post with this iPod Touch.

Looks like we got a complain-bragger here.

The Truth #6
07-21-2008, 12:01 PM
True. I'm a Barnes fan, but I think Finley is coming back and that's enough swingmen. I hope the Spurs are out looking for a backup PF right now, not a wing.

What you say sounds correct regarding Finley, but it's depressing, nonetheless.

A lot of people here are defending the FO by claiming that fans overhyped Matt Barnes into some type of messiah. No, fans knew we needed a wing that would be available, inexpensive, unrestricted, a capable defender, and athletic. Matt Barnes fit the description. Barnes was a smart choice. GS wasn't going to keep him.

And the reason people were curious about him is because they didn't want Finley back under any circumstances.

So, if the decision came down to pursuing Barnes or bringing back Finley again, how could anyone be happy with how this turned out?

We chose Finley. The unspoken bromance continues...

loveforthegame
07-21-2008, 12:10 PM

So many seem sure Finley is coming back. I'm sure the interest on both sides is genuine but why haven't they resigned him yet?

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM

And neither one of them is available. Good call.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi, my name is Louis. I'm a Rockets fan. My team sucks so I have to go to other teams' message boards and attempt to but fail miserably at talking smack about their team because of it.

I have no game, so I can't get laid, so I hang out at spurstalk and have 45 aliases.

Jahivah
07-21-2008, 12:14 PM
This is the worse news of the off season. The guy signed for the minimum. What are the spurs thinking? I know that Gist is showing promise but we could really use his athleticism. Guess our priority is Kurt Thomas.

tmtcsc
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM

Hey..hey..hey..don't you go making sense around here. :lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
This is the worse news of the off season. The guy signed for the minimum. What are the spurs thinking? I know that Gist is showing promise but we could really use his athleticism. Guess our priority is Kurt Thomas.

Sadly this probably means they are thinking they are going to bring back Finley and call it an off-season at the swing positions, which makes me want to puke.

FromWayDowntown
07-21-2008, 12:19 PM
The Spurs wanted him so bad they didn't even offer him more than the league minimum for one year. I'm sure Barnes would have been willing to take the least he could possibly take in order to play for a rookie head coach and geriatric superstars. :lol

Three things:

1. There's no proof that the Spurs didn't make Barnes an offer or what the extent of that offer was.

2. If the Spurs didn't make Barnes an offer, perhaps that was based upon conversations between Pop and Nellie about Barnes. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Pop puts a lot of weight into Nellie's assessments of players and it wouldn't surprise me, either, to learn that the Spurs do that sort of due diligence with available FA's of the Barnes caliber -- i.e., interchangeable sorts of guys who will be essentially making the minimum or slightly above. Say what you will, but Barnes lost Nellie's faith as last season progressed (apparently). There's probably a reason for that and it probably had something to do with the Spurs' decisions about whether to pursue Barnes or not.

3. Terry Porter is a lot of things, but he's not a rookie coach.

VaSpursFan
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
hmm...guess the spurs didn't want barnes after all.

StoneCutter
07-21-2008, 12:46 PM
For the money it was a good pickup for Phoenix.

Barnes is 28 and the Suns will be his sixth team. That's not good.

I am also not sure how Barnes would have fit in the Spurs offense.

Solid D
07-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Three things:
2. If the Spurs didn't make Barnes an offer, perhaps that was based upon conversations between Pop and Nellie about Barnes. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Pop puts a lot of weight into Nellie's assessments of players and it wouldn't surprise me, either, to learn that the Spurs do that sort of due diligence with available FA's of the Barnes caliber -- i.e., interchangeable sorts of guys who will be essentially making the minimum or slightly above. Say what you will, but Barnes lost Nellie's faith as last season progressed (apparently). There's probably a reason for that and it probably had something to do with the Spurs' decisions about whether to pursue Barnes or not.

While I'm disappointed that the Suns signed Barnes at that price, I think FWD's reason #2 has merit. Pop probably found out from Nellie what the meanings for some of the tatoos were and decided to pass. :smokin

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
And neither one of them is available. Good call.

Read what I say in context.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:07 PM

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:08 PM
To be honest, I think I just want that situation to be over with. It's hard to really plan aheah when something like that is in the air. And as far as ridiculous contracts go, savvy big men are at a premium in this league, if you don't believe me go take a look at the Eric Dampier contract, or the brand new contract Diop signed. And to me, they're not even half the player Kurt is.

DPG21920
07-21-2008, 01:09 PM

spurman20
07-21-2008, 01:12 PM
For the money it was a good pickup for Phoenix.

Barnes is 28 and the Suns will be his sixth team. That's not good.

I am also not sure how Barnes would have fit in the Spurs offense.

Thank you that is what I have been sayn the guy is over rated:downspin:

kobyz
07-21-2008, 02:37 PM
the FO sucks, why they have not signed him, he what we need, and they could ofer him more than the Suns

SenorSpur
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM

If you look at what swingmen were left in the free agent "bargain bin", Barnes was clearly the best of the bunch.

The Truth #6
07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
The prototypical Spur bench player is a journeyman, one who has had to play for little money on various teams. If Barnes is not a good prospect because he's played on a bunch of teams, then by that criteria, we shouldn't have had interest in Udoka or Bowen.

There are other issues at work here. Kori has mentioned that the Spurs have had interest in Barnes before. I'm not sure what would have changed, except that the situation was now in our favor. Now was the time to buy low. I'm not sure what the FO is doing right now. They could just be enjoying their vacation in the same way they were last season.

After losing Brent, they might have locked in to the idea that they had to bring Finley back. Why I"m not sure. Relying on Finley is a HUGE risk in my opinion, much more than rolling the dice with Barnes. We know Finley will struggle like he has for 85% of his time with the Spurs, and only more so next year as he ages more.

Also, they're not going to bid first in the KT auction and instead let someone else set his value.

And, they're waiting to see if any of the second round draft picks are worth keeping.

Obviously, that's only a guess as to their mindset. There is some logic to it. There also is a tendency to sit by and make the fewest changes possible.

Obstructed_View
07-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Three things:

1. There's no proof that the Spurs didn't make Barnes an offer or what the extent of that offer was.

If the Spurs had offered him more than the minimum, or had offered more than one year, there would have been a discussion. That it didn't happen is enough evidence to me that nobody was interested in the guy.

Bottom line is that it's not likely that he just wanted to play in Phoenix so badly that he shunned all offers except for the minimum he could possibly get.

3. Terry Porter is a lot of things, but he's not a rookie coach.
I stated that wrong; he is a coach in his first year with a new team. Barnes wouldn't have chosen to play for the Suns based upon their system, because they don't have one yet.

StoneCutter
07-21-2008, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=The Truth #6;2678192]The prototypical Spur bench player is a journeyman, one who has had to play for little money on various teams. If Barnes is not a good prospect because he's played on a bunch of teams, then by that criteria, we shouldn't have had interest in Udoka or Bowen.

I think Udoka and Bowen floated around from team to team because there were questions about their basketball ability. With Barnes the question lies elsewhere. Playing for so many NBA teams might indicate that he wears his welcome out pretty quick.

I think Barnes would have been an upgrade talentwise and for the money he would have been a low risk investment. I am not a big fan of bringing Finley back.

Maybe the Spurs have traded "Y'all ready for this" for "In Gist we trust."

Jeremy
07-21-2008, 06:26 PM
the same MW that we had? :dizzy

No, they probably meant Nets' PG Marcus Williams. He's not a free agent, though.

RonMexico
07-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Barnes has a little street in him and not many players on the Spurs do. Sure, a lot of opposing fans call the Spurs dirty (myself included), but the organization is still regarded as the class of the league. As many times as Bowen might kick Ray Allen in the back or knee Steve Nash in the groin, I trust that he's going home to his family after the game... with a guy like Barnes, I won't know what to expect on and off the court. The only off court question-mark the Spurs have had in recent years would be Stephen Jackson and they let him chase the money out of town.

Still, I think the Suns have needed this kind of tough, thuggish, athletic, and potentially explosive player and that's why I wanted them to sign Barnes after the 2007 season. His range is adequate, he plays tough defense, he hustles, and he can finish at the rim. He's not the most polished player or individual but that doesn't mean he's a bad person or bad teammate. Not all journeymen in sports are bad players... Dave Winfield played for a record number of MLB teams and he's in the Hall-of-Fame. Maybe he didn't want the Spurs, or maybe the Spurs didn't want him, but I'm pleased the Suns were able to sign him to the minimum and I hope he gets some playing time out there. I mean, Nellie benched Baron Davis last season and everyone thought there was some kind of rift, but does that mean the Clippers shouldn't have snatched him up in free agency?

NewJerSpur
07-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Well, this isn't the first time the Spurs haven't signed a player I've taken a good amount of interest in, but I am but a mere fan who pulls no strings at this particular time. Although many ideas are going around as to why this marriage between the 2 sides did not take place, no one can be completely sure what did or didn't go down behind closed doors....all we have at this time is the end result of another FA dealing. It would have been very interesting to see what Matt could've done in the Spurs' system with his abilities but it's likely never to happen at this point....nevertheless the team will likely move forward with what it has at that position unless something dynamic falls in their lap amongst the remainder of this questionable crop of FAs. I wish Matt the best and his team the worst as always.

nil.ball
07-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Damn his agent needs to be fired. Only $1.2mil?

The Franchise
07-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Damn his agent needs to be fired. Only $1.2mil?

+ 20.

lefty
07-23-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm not worried.

THe Suns are like the NY Yankees, you think they will get stronger by adding a good player, but It won't change anything.

He is next on Bruce's bitch list:flag:

MavDynasty
07-23-2008, 09:55 AM
He is next on Bruce's bitch list:flag:

:tu

1Parker1
07-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Who would Spurs fans rather have for the minimum, Barnes or Finley next season?? :angel

Obstructed_View
07-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Who would Spurs fans rather have for the minimum, Barnes or Finley next season?? :angel

The question is, who would Pop rather have, and that's all that matters. See Barry, Brent.

nil.ball
07-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Would love to see him on the rockets though.

:depressed