PDA

View Full Version : Are the Lakers better without Kobe in his current role?

baseline bum
02-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Man, they looked pretty good for 3 quarters last night, and as a whole have been pretty impressive with Odom as the main guy. I've been a huge Odom fan since he came into the league, and he really looks amazing when he has a chance to have the ball in his hands more often. I know Kobe wants to be the one running the show and all, but he's proved before that he doesn't need to dominate the ball to be effective.

Then again, maybe Hamblen's a much better coach than Tomjanovich and that's why they're playing as a team for the first time all season.

baseline bum
02-04-2005, 03:03 PM
BTW, props to Laker fans for cheering when Tim came out of the locker room in the second quarter.

violentkitten
02-04-2005, 03:03 PM
i think kobe might realize by now that chris mihm as your starting center pretty much sucks ass

but its his team his stadium his fans his his his his

baseline bum
02-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Chris Mihm's pretty solid IMO. I'd definitely put him in the top half of starting fives.

violentkitten
02-04-2005, 03:10 PM
the sad thing is that rasho is also in the top half of centers

kobes finding out just how horrible it was to have to share the ball with a 7 foot 400 lbs agile center

Spurminator
02-04-2005, 03:19 PM
As much as I like Rudy... I really think this was simply a poorly coached team for the first half of the season. Kobe/Butler/Odom should be a dangerous trio, if the next coach can figure out a way to get them to work together.

Medvedenko
02-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I agree....the Lakers had a valiant effort....Oh and VK...it was actually Kobe who requested Mihm be part of that Boston deal...quoted by Danny Ainge.
I believe CM is a solid player and have no worries Kobe meshing with the current lineup. What they need to do is start Caron, Kobe in the back court with Odom @ SF with Mihm and Grant in the post.

Mr. Body
02-04-2005, 04:15 PM
The Lakers are going to be fine. Getting Butler and Odom for Shaq doesn't really look that bad, especially since they'll be around for years.

Atkins probably needs to be a back-up, but Chris Mihm is more than decent as a starting center.

A good coach. Plus Kobe integrating himself into the team more, rather than the other way around, and they'll be fine.

Oh, and please play Walton more, if only in spot minutes. He's a good player who makes things happen.

violentkitten
02-04-2005, 04:34 PM
yeah but youre basically talking about having a dominant big like shaq along for the ride for 4 more seasons as kobe progresses through the prime of his career. having inferior players for a longer term isnt too compelling to me

RobinsontoDuncan
02-04-2005, 04:40 PM
I would rather have chris mihm than rasho to be honest, he rebounds, scores, and plays defense better.

Mr. Body
02-04-2005, 04:48 PM
yeah but youre basically talking about having a dominant big like shaq along for the ride for 4 more seasons as kobe progresses through the prime of his career. having inferior players for a longer term isnt too compelling to me

True, but going by the idea that some change had to be made, it could have been much worse.

Medvedenko
02-04-2005, 04:54 PM
I would rather have Shaq this year and maybe next...but after the next 2 seasons...it's not going to look good for Shaq....plus he's demanding 30 mill per season. Damn....Yes Atkins would be great off the bench, as he's playing really well right now, especially since Kobe's been gone.

violentkitten
02-04-2005, 05:02 PM
milk it while you got it

ShoogarBear
02-04-2005, 05:09 PM
it was actually Kobe who requested Mihm be part of that Boston deal.

You realize, of course, you don't help your "Kobe doesn't run the team" argument with this statement.

SuperManu!!!
02-04-2005, 05:52 PM
The lakers are better without Kobe like this forum is better without LAKERFRAUD

Medvedenko
02-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Kobe doesn't run the team....but don't you think if the Spurs were trading for a group of players on said team, they wouldn't consult TD on the decision....please every star player is informed of the decisions their team makes.

Kaster
02-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Of course not, they're not a playoff team without Kobe, and would probably be close to the worse team in the West without him. That said, Lakers played with pride last night, but the Spurs were in cruise control for the most part. I think Rudy's ineptitude utilizing Odom and not instilling some defensive toughness into this squad has hurt them. Hamblin's been doing a fine job the last three games, including the Spurs game.

Oh, and I'm glad Duncan was OK, and I'm glad Laker fans cheered him. Even though I'm not a Spurs fan, I was actually pissed when Cook/Butler landed into his knee. Though, he definitely needs to get an MRI, just to be safe.

T Park
02-04-2005, 06:15 PM
I gotta give Laker fans in LA credit, I dont think they ever been as bad as Eagles fans or any assholes like that.

There sometimes just egotistical about there team.

I agree with that Rudy T probobly was the problem in not setting out in training camp and setting a defensive mindset, they would probobly be better than they are, they have lost a few games this year due to a bad defensive mentality