PDA

View Full Version : Dirk was in the locker room in Greece bawling Sunday

ducks
07-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Dirk Nowitzki did not do any interviews immediately after propelling Germany to its first Olympic berth since 1992. He couldn’t.

The Dallas Mavericks’ best player was in the locker room in Greece bawling Sunday, like a baby or newlywed or player who has finally delivered on a promise to his country, his coach and himself.

He had been thinking of this moment long before he dreamed of MVPs and NBA championships. Anybody who even kind of knows The Big German is giddy for him, with the possible exception of Mavs owner Mark Cuban, who is certainly no fan of NBA players in the Olympics.

And even he is happy for Dirk.

"My issues on the Olympics are not with Dirk or the players," Cuban said via e-mail Sunday. "I’m thrilled for Dirk. It’s a dream of his, and there is nothing that could make me happier for him."

Well, except for an NBA championship. He has kind of been banking on Dirk leading the Mavs to a ring. That was the thinking behind the whole not being willing to trade Dirk for Kobe last summer. Cubes and Nellie Jr. have bet a lot on their favorite German, and seem to have accepted he needs better toys around him to achieve his other dream.

And good news, there was movement on the toy front this week. While Dirk was doing his Superman impression thing to push Germany to the Olympics, the Mavs were not-so-quietly, as it turns out, inquiring about acquiring Ron Artest from Sacramento.

I am strangely intrigued by this. Actually love this deal.

Sure, Artest has a lot of crazy and a little team wrecker in him, a subject on which Mavs coach Rick Carlisle has intimate knowledge. Artest basically imploded his Indy team with his decision to brawl in the stands.

Carlisle obviously had to, at least, kind of-sort of, sign off on talking to Sacramento, which means he likes Artest’s brand of crazy. What the Mavs were not willing to do was give up Josh Howard for it.

This confirms two things the Mavs have been saying:

1. There is genuine league interest in our Doobie Brother.

2. The Mavs do not want to unload Josh so badly that any deal is better than no deal.

What reportedly killed trade talks was that Brandon Bass and Jerry Stackhouse, not Josh, were offered. I am not so sure I wouldn’t have sent Howard to Sacramento.

Moving Stack is understandable (even though I am a huge Stack fan). But the willingness to part company with Bass is beyond me. He was the only player, other than Dirk, who actually showed interest in trying to defeat the Hornets.

Much like a year ago, when the Mavs were publicly saying how much they loved their team and yet talked to anyone and everyone about changing it, there appears to be a lot of talking going on now.

What I can not quite figure out is why Josh is so untouchable. Maybe, the Mavs are guilty of still buying into the hype generated by the playoffs a couple of years ago.

What we know now is Josh is not the complement to Dirk we thought he was. He doesn’t have it upstairs, on the floor, or in the fourth quarter.

If Dirk can carry the Motherland into the Olympics for the first time in 16 years, he doesn’t require a Kobe or LeBron to be his sidekick. But he does need someone more dedicated than Josh has been.

And let’s be clear for everybody who has ever said Dirk is incapable of being the man: It is on his shoulders the Deutschland is going to Beijing. He scored 32 points in Sunday’s game against Puerto Rico for the last and final spot.

My good friends at ballineurope.com — which has the best Web site mascot ever, a literally smoking Euroballer — helped put this feat in proper perspective.

"For German basketball in general, this is the top of the top for the generation around the Dallas Maverick player," Web site founder Christophe Nye said. "It would have been a shame for them if they were the only team sport not qualifying, as handball, volleyball and water polo did."

This sets up interesting viewing for Mavs fans, not named Cuban, with Germany’s victory Sunday placing it in a group with Angola, Spain, Greece, Team USA (and JKidd) and China, featuring Mavs GM Donnie Nelson as an assistant coach. Talk about your reunions.

China plays Germany on Aug. 16, with Team America playing the Germans two days later. This, of course, will test Cuban’s happy level for Dirk and his OK level with NBA players being in China.

And he has a pretty good argument in Carlos Arroyo.

He was one of the Puerto Rican players; past tense needed because of a torn leg muscle that prevented him from playing against Germany. He also, to his chagrin, is a free agent.

"If it’s bad, what happens to him?" Cuban said.

And if it is Dirk, Cuban will be the one bawling like a school girl.

For now, though, Cuban, like everybody else, is thrilled that Dirk made his Big German dream a reality.
http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/771622.html

SAtown
07-21-2008, 01:02 PM
Good for Dirk

lurker
07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I knew he was going to sob if they won. :lol Though he'd sob if they lost, too.

Go Germany!

E20
07-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Dirk > TP

The Franchise
07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
I hate the Mavs but, I actually like Dirk. Good for him.

Findog
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Josh has several years left on his deal. Artest is a FA next summer. I'm leery of inking Artest to an extension, and yet they could be left with no Josh and no Artest next summer if they trade Josh. It's a bear market for Josh right now, the Mavs shouldn't unload him just to do it.

Findog
07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I hate the Mavs but, I actually like Dirk. Good for him.

Dirk is good peoples.

monosylab1k
07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
and yet they could be left with no Josh and no Artest next summer if they trade Josh.

why does that matter? If they flame out again this year, the Mavs FO will finally have to blow this team up.

Josh's value might sink even lower in a year.

monoslobsomed1ck
07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
why does that matter? If they flame out again this year, the Mavs FO will finally have to blow this team up.

WAH! U NEED A TISSUE!?!?!?!?

Findog
07-21-2008, 01:28 PM

It matters because I think they'll still be over the cap, in effect they'd be losing a valuable asset without even getting cap space back.

monosylab1k
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
WAH! U NEED A TISSUE!?!?!?!?

someone email www.m-w.com

it appears that "epic failure" now has a new definition.

monosylab1k
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
It matters because I think they'll still be over the cap, in effect they'd be losing a valuable asset without even getting cap space back.

they'll have to be getting cap space back. if they don't, they still get closer to it. Kidd is coming off the books too. Finley will also some time this millenium.

Slo spurs fan
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
...If Dirk can carry the Motherland into the Olympics for the first time in 16 years, he doesn’t require a Kobe or LeBron to be his sidekick. But he does need someone more dedicated than Josh has been....

It iz Fatherland, ja?

monosylab1k
this is their last year to win a title. if they don't do it this year, a roster blowup will FINALLY happen. so there's no point in fretting over Josh Howard's cap effect.

monoslobsomed1ck
someone email www.m-w.com

it appears that "epic failure" now has a new definition.

WAHHH MOMMY PATS LOST WAHHH

:cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry

Findog
they'll have to be getting cap space back. if they don't, they still get closer to it. Kidd is coming off the books too. Finley will also some time this millenium.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas.htm

This doesn't have Diop's new contract on there, so it looks like we'll be right at the cap next summer with Josh. Artest and Josh can't be traded straight up for each other, there needs to be salary filler to make it work. Even if Artest walks, it doesn't look like we'll get to be participants in free agency next year. But as it stands we have cap room for 2010 :tu

monoslobsomed1ck
07-21-2008, 01:33 PM
this is their last year to win a title. if they don't do it this year, a roster blowup will FINALLY happen. so there's no point in fretting over Josh Howard's cap effect.

WAHH BOTH MY TEAM SUCK SO I HAV TO GO TO TRABILAXER BADNWQAGON WAHHH MOM0MMMMY!

mavs>spurs2
07-21-2008, 01:40 PM

mavsfan1000? :lol

lefty
07-21-2008, 01:42 PM
Dirk > TP

No kidding

baseline bum
07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Congrats to Dirk, a class guy and sure fire Hall of Famer.

lefty
07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
Congrats to Dirk, a class guy and sure fire Hall of Famer.

Classy guy? Yes

HOF ? Are you f...... kidding me ??????

confined
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM

:rollin

Findog
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Classy guy? Yes

HOF ? Are you f...... kidding me ??????

Greatest Euro of all time, top five player in his prime....HOF is a cinch

monosylab1k
07-21-2008, 02:10 PM

it's just a shame you had to batantly rip off another troll.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=10722

that troll is a lot funnier than you too.

fail.

¿Question?
07-21-2008, 02:15 PM
How many exercise bikes will Dirk demolish after his 1st round exit in the Olympics?

monosylab1k
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
:lmao
How many exercise bikes will Dirk demolish after his 1st round exit in the Olympics?

exercise bike jokes! such a fresh new concept!

Kindergarten Cop
07-21-2008, 02:26 PM
But as it stands we have cap room for 2010 :tu

The Mavs will actually be in the running for one of the Max-level FAs in 2010 if they choose to decline the option for Howard.

z0sa
07-21-2008, 02:29 PM

Hemotivo
07-21-2008, 02:34 PM
:lol

angel_luv
07-21-2008, 02:39 PM
I am rooting for Argentina in the Olympics.
Since we did not get our Spurs championship repeat, I want Gino to get me an Olympic win repeat.

But I am happy for Dirk that he made it. Good luck to him.

I would root for Dirk in the NBA if he were not a Maverick.

E20
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
No kidding

I know.......

I just want to piss off ducks.

lefty
07-21-2008, 03:08 PM
I know.......

I just want to piss off ducks.

Ah, ok :p:

Shank
07-21-2008, 04:09 PM
This. Thread. Is. Fucking. Awesome.

ThunderStix®
07-21-2008, 04:32 PM
I am rooting for Argentina in the Olympics.
Since we did not get our Spurs championship repeat, I want Gino to get me an Olympic win repeat.

But I am happy for Dirk that he made it. Good luck to him.

I would root for Dirk in the NBA if he were not a Maverick.

Shouldn't you put a Pacers logo in your sig now that Rasho is on the team. ;)

jack sommerset
07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Dirk is cool. Trade Howard for Artest. Do it and they are contenders again

xtremesteven33
07-21-2008, 04:54 PM
PG-Kidd
SG-Terry
SF-Artest
PF-Nowitzki
C-Dampier

looks pretty solid. if it were to happen

but howard would work better with kidd than artest would

rAm
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM

:lmao hahaha o man awesome troll

ThunderStix®
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
PG-Kidd
SG-Terry
SF-Artest
PF-Nowitzki
C-Dampier

looks pretty solid. if it were to happen

Looks pretty good to me.

I don't know if it would be enough to take them to the next level though.

angel_luv
07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Shouldn't you put a Pacers logo in your sig now that Rasho is on the team. ;)

Yes, I should.

And I will. :)