PDA

View Full Version : Suns Door Closed on Dragic

coopdogg3
07-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Won't be a surprise to us Spurs' fans, but just thought I would share.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?univLogin02=stateChanged

Door Closed On Dragic?
The Suns are still looking for a backup at point guard and another big man for depth.

GM Steve Kerr said he remains optimistic that second-round pick Goran Dragic can be a Sun in the fall, despite his comments last week to a Spanish newspaper that he expects to play for Tau Ceramica. "That's not a door we've closed by any means," he said.

There could be some definitive news on the Dragic situation within a week. Sam Cassell, Damon Stoudamire and Jason Williams also remain as free-agent possibilities as a veteran backup to Steve Nash. -- East Valley Tribune

rj215
07-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Can we trade Vaughn to them for free? Has that ever been done? Well other than the Pau deal from last year.

1Parker1
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not really familiar with the whole draft process so maybe someone can explain this to me. How can these players enter their name into the draft and then decide to go back to playing abroad? Wouldn't this kind of be like a college player putting his name into the draft, getting drafted in the first round by an NBA team, and then deciding he wants to go back to play for college ball one more year or whatever?

I was under the assumption that players put their names into the NBA draft because they want to actually play in the NBA. All these players then getting drafted and then subsequently just deciding to play abroad and essentially causing a team to waste their draft pick on them doesn't make much sense. It seems there should be a little more rules/regulations around this.

Again, maybe I'm just not understanding this all correctly.

wisnub
07-21-2008, 01:35 PM
DAMN....All player playing for Tau didnt want to come to NBA (except Scola). Time and time again TAU got best player in the international arena, and sadly the biggest loser of all is playing with them (Splitter). I doubt this kid will ever play in NBA

tp2021
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
HA HA Suns! Tell us how TAU's ass tastes!

wisnub
07-21-2008, 01:55 PM
sUNS...NOW U FELL HOW WE FEEL....lets share a beer and be friends...or not

SenorSpur
07-21-2008, 01:56 PM
I hope that, after this year, Tau Ceramica re-ups Gragic with a fat, new, multi-year contract - similar to the one offered to Splitter. Hopefully, they'll make him an offer he cannot refuse and he never sets foot in PHX - EVER!

The Franchise
07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
HA HA Suns! Tell us how TAU's ass tastes!

don't say that to them. We already got a taste with Splitter.:(

angel_luv
07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
C'est la vie, Suns.

I am torn. I would really like to see Dragic play in the NBA.
But I would rather he not be with the Suns.

"Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be."

I would post the Slovenian saying eqivalent if I knew and could spell it. :lol

VaSpursFan
07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not really familiar with the whole draft process so maybe someone can explain this to me. How can these players enter their name into the draft and then decide to go back to playing abroad? Wouldn't this kind of be like a college player putting his name into the draft, getting drafted in the first round by an NBA team, and then deciding he wants to go back to play for college ball one more year or whatever?

I was under the assumption that players put their names into the NBA draft because they want to actually play in the NBA. All these players then getting drafted and then subsequently just deciding to play abroad and essentially causing a team to waste their draft pick on them doesn't make much sense. It seems there should be a little more rules/regulations around this.

there is no obligation to play for any NBA team until the player signs a contract.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2008, 02:50 PM

All foreign players when they hit age 22 are automatically entered into the NBA draft, whether they want to play in the NBA or not.

The Suns knew that Dragic was likely not coming over this year when they drafted him, but they are still trying to work out a buyout.

Kori Ellis
07-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Well it's not exactly on the day they turn 22, but it's something like... all players born in 1986 are automatically in the 2008 draft, all players born in 1987 are in the 2009, etc.

1Parker1
07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
All foreign players when they hit age 22 are automatically entered into the NBA draft, whether they want to play in the NBA or not.

Wow really?? I never knew that...that's a very odd rule to have. They should consider changing it. It's like every college player once they hit the min age requirement automatically being entered into the draft...

rAm
07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't get that.

Are they automatically entered by the NBA, or by their agents? What if they have 0 interest at all in playing in America. Just doesn't make sense.

tp2021
07-21-2008, 05:02 PM
don't say that to them. We already got a taste with Splitter.:(

so are you a rocket fan or a spurs fan?

besides, we didnt trade a player, a future pick, and cash to move up a few spots for splitter.

RonMexico
07-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Now the Suns can get the greatest PG in the history of the Spurs: Speedy Claxton.

ploto
07-21-2008, 06:24 PM
The Suns knew that Dragic was likely not coming over this year when they drafted him, but they are still trying to work out a buyout.

Steve Kerr really wants him.

completely deck
07-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Steve Kerr really wants him.

I bet he does, I bet he does.

We really wanted Splitter.

DazedAndConfused
07-21-2008, 07:03 PM
I just don't understand why teams would draft international players unless they know FOR SURE that they will come to the NBA.

koriwhat
07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I just don't understand why teams would draft international players unless they know FOR SURE that they will come to the NBA.

you can never know for sure... just like you can never know whether or not your dick is gonna itch the next day after a 1 night stand.

ata
07-22-2008, 12:19 AM

Teams don't draft players! They draft right to sign them (right last for 4 years?)

As soon as college player enters draft, is considered pro. Pro player may not play college basketball.

wijayas
07-22-2008, 12:54 AM
DAMN....All player playing for Tau didnt want to come to NBA (except Scola). Time and time again TAU got best player in the international arena, and sadly the biggest loser of all is playing with them (Splitter). I doubt this kid will ever play in NBA

It will be exciting to watch a Tau vs. Spurs game? How many points will the SPurs deliver the spanking??? :lol :lol :lol

This is so that the Tiagos of the world know they have to come to the NBA to earn their respect.

Kori Ellis
07-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Teams don't draft players! They draft right to sign them (right last for 4 years?).

NBA teams keep the rights forever, unless the player sits out of pro basketball for a year.

freddy79
07-22-2008, 03:31 AM
If I were a Spurs fan, I would not laugh for the Dragic situation: I think that they could solve this situation in a couple of years: if they pay the right price, and Dragic wants to come, in 2009 or 2010 Dragic will be a Sun. Spurs instead already losed Scola in the fight against TAU. Now they are losing Splitter, another really good player in a role that Spurs need to fill. And, beware of this: Splitter, with the current rookie scale, WILL NEVER come to San Antonio: they did a really BIG mistake selecting him in the low first round (already last year, they knew that, at that numbers, Splitter would have to leave a lot of money to come to San Antonio: now it's an IMPOSSIBLE business stoling him from Vitoria, now and forever). If instead SA would have traded his pick with the first second round pick (knowing the situation, NOBODY was selecting Splitter, like as in this draft, nobody selected Pekovic in the first round, even if he deserved), now Splitter could be a Spur....I think that Spurs are the ONLY NBA team who knows how TAU ass tastes (Chicago had no trouble to take Nocioni from them, so Houston, who took Scola at the first try: it's the SECOND time that Spurs lose a money fight against TAU...). Suns did not take Dragic, but NOT because TAU denied them the player (Dragic is a backup there, the starting player in that role is Igor Rakocevic...to you remember him in Timberwolves?), but because THE PLAYER preferred to stay in Spain and have more playing time...

picnroll
07-22-2008, 03:46 AM
If I were a Spurs fan, I would not laugh for the Dragic situation: I think that they could solve this situation in a couple of years: if they pay the right price, and Dragic wants to come, in 2009 or 2010 Dragic will be a Sun. Spurs instead already losed Scola in the fight against TAU. Now they are losing Splitter, another really good player in a role that Spurs need to fill. And, beware of this: Splitter, with the current rookie scale, WILL NEVER come to San Antonio: they did a really BIG mistake selecting him in the low first round (already last year, they knew that, at that numbers, Splitter would have to leave a lot of money to come to San Antonio: now it's an IMPOSSIBLE business stoling him from Vitoria, now and forever). If instead SA would have traded his pick with the first second round pick (knowing the situation, NOBODY was selecting Splitter, like as in this draft, nobody selected Pekovic in the first round, even if he deserved), now Splitter could be a Spur....I think that Spurs are the ONLY NBA team who knows how TAU ass tastes (Chicago had no trouble to take Nocioni from them, so Houston, who took Scola at the first try: it's the SECOND time that Spurs lose a money fight against TAU...). Suns did not take Dragic, but NOT because TAU denied them the player (Dragic is a backup there, the starting player in that role is Igor Rakocevic...to you remember him in Timberwolves?), but because THE PLAYER preferred to stay in Spain and have more playing time...
How does Splitter's situation differ from Rudy Hernandez apart from Hernandez maybe having more confidence in his game and that he will get a big payoff eventually? Maybe the family situation too?

gilmor
07-22-2008, 03:50 AM

In 2 years, nash will be gone.. so will Shaq..

Suns will be looking to rebuild once Dragic arrives..

Let's face it man.. this season the Western Conf will be about Hornets and the Lakers.. Suns won't make the big 3..

Obstructed_View
07-22-2008, 05:40 AM
It's not the door the Suns should be worried about, it's the window.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-07-2008, 10:13 AM
El Baskonia, cerca de traspasar al base esloveno Goran Dragic a Phoenix Suns
La entidad azulgrana espera resolverla operación en los próximos días

07.08.08 - EL CORREO| VITORIA

Dragic aún no sabe en qué equipo jugará la próxima temporada. / I. ONANDIAAunque los movimientos en el mercado ACB siguen siendo escasos, el TAU Cerámica no cesa en su empeño por conformar una plantilla competitiva para la próxima temporada. El tema principal que centra la atención estos días de la secretaría técnica del conjunto azulgrana es el 'affaire' Goran Dragic.
A pesar del silencio imperante en las últimas fechas, los máximos responsables de la escuadra vitoriana esperan resolver en los próximos días la continuidad del joven jugador esloveno y su incorporación al conjunto que dirigirá Dusko Ivanovic. Hasta la fecha la entidad baskonista no había reconocido una oferta en firme por parte de los Phoenix Suns, conjunto del baloncesto profesional norteamericano que posee los derechos NBA del prometedor director de juego. A recordar que el esloveno fue elegido este mismo año por los Spurs de San Antonio en el puesto 45 de la segunda ronda del 'draft' para, posteriormente, ser traspasado a los Suns.
Fuentes de toda solvencia del TAU reconocieron ayer la existencia de una negociación sobre la mesa con el equipo de Arizona, interesado en incorporar a Dragic esta misma temporada. La situación supone un avance, ya que hasta ahora el club no había reconocido que tuviera ninguna oferta en firme por el jugador. La salida de Dragic de Vitoria está en estos momentos más cerca que nunca, aunque todo pasa porque las dos escuadras lleguen a un acuerdo económico por el jugador, cuyos derechos esenciales están en poder del club alavés.
Goran Dragic posee en su contrato una cláusula de salida a la NBA la temporada 2009-2010, pero no así esta campaña, por lo que el entendimiento entre clubes es una condición 'sine qua non' para una posible marcha. Durante el pasado mes de julio los Suns habían rebajado el impetuoso interés inicial por el base azulgrana ante la inexistencia de una cláusula que cuantificase la compensación económica por su salida del TAU, con el que le resta una temporada de contrato con opción a otras dos más. El propio protagonista, así como su representante, el ex jugador Quique Villalobos, habían descartado «jugar» este año en la liga americana para intentar «triunfar» primero en el TAU.
Aparte del acuerdo económico para su marcha, el principal impedimento para que la entidad americana opte en estos momentos al fichaje del base, que aún no ha debutado con la camiseta azulgrana, pasa por la cantidad máxima que las franquicias NBA pueden pagar por un traspaso, cifrada en 500.000 dólares. Por ello, uno de los asuntos primordiales en la negociación radica en cómo repartir la cantidad de salida entre las partes implicadas -jugador y equipo de destino-, parte de las cuáles tendrían que ser asumidas por el esloveno con la seguridad de poder recuperarlas en sus próximos años de contrato en el baloncesto profesional.
La llegada de un sustituto
La llegada de un nuevo jugador a a las filas azulgranas está a la expensa de lo que ocurra finalmente con Goran Dragic. A los baskonistas les han llegado ofrecimientos de numerosos jugadores en los últimos diez días, entre ellos Earl Boykins -que firmó ayer un contrato de 3,5 millones de dólares por una temporada con la Virtus- así como el ex baskonista Carlos Arroyo -adquirido por el Maccabi por una ficha de 2,5 millones anuales-. No obstante, el TAU ha tirado por Andre Barrett, base norteamericano al que le ha tentado con una oferta de 800.000 dólares. No es su única opción, sin embargo.

http://www.elcorreodigital.com/vizcaya/20080807/deportes/tau/baskonia-cerca-traspasar-base-20080807.html

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
They're super close on the buyout.

wildbill2u
08-07-2008, 01:23 PM

The NBA used to have a great chance of getting any player they drafted because the Euro league salaries and benefits weren't as lucrative as the NBA. Plus there was a certain cachet to playing with the "big boys" in the NBA.

Now the salaries + benefits in Europe can easily surpass the amounts that NBA teams can pay because of rules like the salary cap and for 1st round drafted rookie maximums.

For example, Splitter got a lot more money for playing with TAU than he could have received from the Spurs. These athletes have a limited playing career and it's not surprising if they take the bird in hand rather than chasing after the one in the NBA thicket.

This change of money power in favor of the Euro league teams has only happened in the last couple of years--and the US teams and the NBA league office have been caught napping, thinking the old situation hadn't changed. So the NBA loses a few Euros they thought they'd get and a few US players they thought they'd keep.

BOHOLANO#21
08-07-2008, 07:47 PM
so what?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2008, 03:16 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=445321

Suns Sign Dragic

urunobili
08-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Suns Sign Dragic

wtf??? :depressed

a new Barbosa for them? i thought Spurs FO was pretty sure this guy wasn't obtainable since they liked him a lot...

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
wtf??? :depressed

My thoughts exactly.

angel_luv
08-13-2008, 03:26 PM

Suns Sign Dragic

I look forward to getting to see him play. Will just have to disregard the uniform he does so in.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Part of me wants him to do good because I like his style and effort, and the other wants him to do bad since he's on the Suns and Tau didn't fuck them over.

angel_luv
08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I hope Dragic gets traded to team I could enjoy rooting for. Until then, I wish him all the best personal stats success ( sorry no championship wishes) with the Suns.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2008, 03:35 PM
If Dragic can become a great player while the Suns drastically decline, I'll be very happy.

angel_luv
08-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Could the Spurs really not afford Dragic or did they just decide he wasn't worth the price?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2008, 03:36 PM
They never intended on keeping him. They drafted him with the Suns trade already in mind.

angel_luv
08-13-2008, 03:38 PM
They never intended on keeping him. They drafted him with the Suns trade already in mind.

It is as if Pop and company are out to get me personally- playing with my emotions like that.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2008, 03:38 PM
:lol

T Park
08-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Fuck you Tau.

Duncan2177
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Or could it be we have a cheap ass owner?:rolleyes

kobyz
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
the spurs are pathetic

Man of Steel
08-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Props to the Suns for having the patience to deal with this issue.

Hopefully we'll get Splitter back someday as well in the future.

Bruno
08-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Good for them but why should we care about that ?

benefactor
08-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Good for them but why should we care about that ?
Takes them off of Pargo's destination list....

kobyz
08-13-2008, 05:35 PM
the suns made some good moves to improve there roster.
they have now more depth:

Nash/Dragic/Strawberry
Bell/Barbosa/Tucker
Hill/Barnes
Stoudemire/Diaw
O'Neal/Lopez

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Dragic clears hurdle in quest to join Suns
Jerry Brown, Tribune

The Suns moved a step closer to bringing second-round pick Goran Dragic to Phoenix this year when a Slovenian court settled a dispute between two European teams over how much of Dragic’s potential buyout agreement they would receive.

But the Suns also flatly denied a report by SportingNews.com that they will sign the 22-year-old point guard to a contract of at least three years and that a buyout agreement between Dragic and his Spanish team, Tau Cerimaca, has been reached. Such a deal must occur before Dragic can leave for the NBA.

Suns vice president of basketball operations David Griffin said the team continues to monitor the situation closely and the team remains hopeful that Dragic will be in a Suns uniform this season.

The agreement between Tau and Dragic’s hometown team Geoplin Flovan, which technically owned his rights, could move the process along, provided that Tau can reach an agreement large enough to attract a quality player to replace Dragic on their roster.

Dragic has been quoted on several occasions this summer saying he expects to stay with Tau this season, where he would be a backup point guard. But the Suns appear ready to use a fair portion of their mid-level expectation to sign Dragic to a multi-year contract that will allow him to secure a buyout a year early and become the full-time backup to Steve Nash this season.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/123007

SenorSpur
08-13-2008, 05:44 PM
WTF X 10?

I wonder why Tau was so amenable to a buyout for this kid. I guess this means they didn't value him in the same manner as they did Splitter.

If this news is true, then I would guess a Pargo decision could be coming soon.

TheProfessor
08-13-2008, 06:03 PM
the suns made some good moves to improve there roster.
they have now more depth:

Nash/Dragic/Strawberry
Bell/Barbosa/Tucker
Hill/Barnes
Stoudemire/Diaw
O'Neal/Lopez
I don't know if Strawberry, Tucker, Barnes, Lopez, and Dragic equals quality depth, at least this year.

I think people are seriously overstating what Dragic can provide for the Suns. Very steep learning curve. Expecting him to immediately back up Nash may be setting him up for failure.

edgar
08-13-2008, 06:47 PM
Suns ready to sign Dragic to back up Nash

Posted: August 13, 2008
Sean Deveney
Sporting News

After much wrangling, more than a few doubts and some international diplomacy, the Suns finally have landed the player they expect to be Steve Nash's backup this year. A source confirmed to Sporting News that Slovenian point guard Goran Dragic -- whose rights were acquired in June in a draft-night trade with the Spurs -- is intent on signing a contract of at least three years to play in Phoenix next year.

There are still some administrative details to resolve for Dragic to get out of his European contract. He then must settle on a definitive contract with the Suns.

But this could set up a big win for the Suns. Dragic did not have a buyout in his contract with Tau Ceramica in Spain, and it was widely believed that he would have to wait till next year to join an NBA team. Before any deal with the Suns could be finalized, Dragic had to haggle with two European teams, negotiating a buyout that would persuade them to release him from his contract.

That process has been long and difficult. One of Dragic's American representatives, Rade Filipovich, joined his representative in Spain, Quique Villalobos, a week ago to begin working out a deal. Complicating matters is that Dragic's rights were technically owned by Union Olimpija in his hometown of Ljubljana, and he was on loan to Tau. Dragic had to work out a buyout figure that would satisfy both teams.

As recently as Monday, Dragic told a Spanish newspaper, "I have spoken with my manager and the people at Tau, and they all think it's better for me to stay here, and so do I." That sent mixed signals to folks in the NBA, but according to the source, the paper was actually using old quotes.

Rather than paying Dragic a standard rookie minimum, then, the Suns will have to pay him part of their mid-level exception to help cover the cost of the buyout he negotiated with Tau.

Phoenix should be willing to pay that, though, because the Suns have long been intrigued by Dragic's potential, who is 6-4 and 22 years old. In fact, on draft night, Phoenix considered taking Dragic with the 15th pick. The Suns decided to gamble on taking him in the second round, though, because second-round picks are not held to the rookie salary scale and would have the financial flexibility to work out an early buyout. Phoenix ended up trading the draft rights to Malik Hairston (No. 48 pick), a future second-round pick and cash for the rights for Dragic.

The Suns feel Dragic is intelligent and mature enough to step in and be Nash's backup this year.

Without Dragic, Phoenix would be down to some less-appealing options to back up Nash. The team was rumored to be interested in guard Jannero Pargo -- more of a scorer than a point guard -- or, failing that, probably would have had Leandro Barbosa revert from his role as off-the-bench scoring guard back to his old role as Nash's backup.

LINK:

Good News for Spurs fans if it gets finalised because that would mainly mean that Pargo signs with us!

ChumpDumper
08-13-2008, 06:53 PM
SpursTalk poster ready to read existing Dragic thread!

ducks
08-13-2008, 06:55 PM

no he is to busy telling posters never tip 25 cents !

edgar
08-13-2008, 07:06 PM
no he is to busy telling posters never tip 25 cents !

ahh its u again..i thought we had gotten rid of you already. Apparently someone wants some more...

edgar
08-13-2008, 07:07 PM

Oh and yea my mistake...:sleep

ducks
08-13-2008, 07:09 PM
ahh its u again..i thought we had gotten rid of you already. Apparently someone wants some more...

ducks is not that easy to get rid of

if ducks was he would have left along time ago

Sean Cagney
08-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Yeah their door closed but they get him and we don't get Splitter who wants to play in the NBA soon as he said.. GO FIGURE!!!!!! LOL :( Oh well the Suns are still garbation year after year.

4 titles >>>>>>> Signing some second round rookie.

mojorizen7
08-14-2008, 02:01 AM
4 titles >>>>>>> Signing some second round rookie.
No...really?
Thanks Mr Fucking Obvious.
I'll be sure to ask for your opinion the next time i'm faced with the decision to either shit on my front lawn or in the bathroom.

BWS-1994
08-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Does Dragic getting drafted in the second round as compared to Splitters in the first make any difference with the former jumping to the NBA while the latter doesn't?

fyatuk
08-14-2008, 03:26 PM

It's quite a bit different then your example, because of NCAA rules about declaring pro (although you can back out before the draft to regain eligibility). The way the draft works is it assigns NBA rights. The rights are good for a year, so a player can just sit out of basketball for a year and re-enter the draft (David Robinson was advised to do this when he was drafted by the Spurs). However, the rights remain active if the draftee plays for another league.

There are lots of reasons why someone might decide against playing for the team that drafted them (or obtained their rights through a trade, like this particular example). They may not like their draft position and the salary that goes along with it, or the city, or the system that team runs, etc.

Basically a lot of these players will enter the draft and then choose which situation best fits them between the drafted team and other leagues.