PDA

View Full Version : Planning my first Spurs home game- Need tips/Advice

Brutalis
07-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Well this season I plan on finally attending a home game. Until the schedule comes out I am pretty clueless on which although I want it to be against a good team like Boston, or a rival like Dallas or LAL.

I have only been to SA once when I was way younger. Didn't get do anything Spurs related other than a brief view of the Alamodome from the outside, where they played at the time.

So hopefully you guys can be serious for a minute and recommend good hotels that won't break my wallet. As well as places to go, things to do, where to eat and all of that. Keep in mind I am a 23yo dude, that's not into drugs but I don't mind having a few beers but not to get drunk or anything.

I used to have friends in SA that I always planned on staying with but they have since moved. I will be going with my 22yo buddy, who's favorite team is Sacramento, so we might catch that game instead to make him happy too. I'm probably going to be a like a stupid tourist with a bunch of disposable camera's as my digital camera is junk. I wanna see the trophies and all that, and hopefully get really good seats.

I missed any chance seeing Robinson before he retired and I refuse to miss out on Duncan. So any help or tips or anything would be appreciated as I don't know anything about SA much less Texas really.

Brutalis
07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
There's a lot of minorities in SA, so bring the black guy you play basketball with.

Mexicans? If you go look it up Arkansas either in 2007 or 2006 had the highest increase in the metro than any other place in the nation so I'll be alright there bud.

I. Hustle
07-21-2008, 03:33 PM
First thing you need to do is visit the Spurs museum in West San Antonio. If you are renting a car rent a nice one and make sure you bring plenty of cash because they don’t take credit.

ashbeeigh
07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
There's a lot of minorities in SA, so bring the black guy you play basketball with.

or some pepper spray.

baseline bum
07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
There used to be lots of great places to stay on Austin Highway.

E20
07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Crash at Kori/LJ's house.

TheTruth
07-21-2008, 04:17 PM
If you're trying not to break the bank, you probably shouldn't stay downtown. Try to find something on IH10. It's not far from downtown at all, and you can park at Central Park Mall and take the park and ride to the ATT Center.

The trophies are always on display at the Stadium, and the Team Store is there also.

tp2021
07-21-2008, 04:35 PM
No cameras with a detachable lens.

ShoogarBear
07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
First thing you need to do is visit the Spurs museum in West San Antonio.

:lmao

Mr Dio
07-21-2008, 11:27 PM
If you're trying not to break the bank, you probably shouldn't stay downtown. Try to find something on IH10. It's not far from downtown at all, and you can park at Central Park Mall and take the park and ride to the ATT Center.

The trophies are always on display at the Stadium, and the Team Store is there also.

Exactly. Stay near the I-10/410 corridor & you can always take the Park & Ride to the ATT. Try to go no further North than Huebner/I-10 but don't stay any further South than 410.

You'll be in a Primo local for Bar hopping to places all along Babcock/Huebner/I-10.

Are you straight? (Serious question.)
All Stars & Sugar's are Gent clubs.
Boneheadz, Champps, Flying Saucer, (All places on Babcock between 410 & Huebner), etc.. all will be within 5-10min cab ride.

Maybe someone else can give you more info on the 281/1604 area & how easy it may (or may not) be to take P&R from Blossom or whereever.

Brutalis
07-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks, TheTruth.

Dio I am straight, however I don't waste my money at strip clubs. For one I have a girl that would make those chicks jealous, for two she wouldn't approve of it anyways. :)

There's a FS in SA? Sweet. Love trying new beer and stuff. Just not getting hammered though!

-Don't stay any further south than 410, gotcha.
-Ignore I.Hustle, check.

While I'm in SA, I really want to get a taste of the SW eatery you know? I'd like to enjoy what's home cooking there.

stretch
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
or some pepper spray.

or ashbeeigh

Mr Dio
07-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Thanks, TheTruth.

Dio I am straight, however I don't waste my money at strip clubs. For one I have a girl that would make those chicks jealous, for two she wouldn't approve of it anyways. :)

There's a FS in SA? Sweet. Love trying new beer and stuff. Just not getting hammered though!

-Don't stay any further south than 410, gotcha.
-Ignore I.Hustle, check.

While I'm in SA, I really want to get a taste of the SW eatery you know? I'd like to enjoy what's home cooking there.

Opinions will vary but I'd say....

I'd say Chris Madrid's is a must if you like tons of meat/cheese. A 1/2lb tostada burger has refried beans & chips in it. An SA institution.

If you stay near Huebner/I-10 try Perico's on Bandera/Prue.
Chachos King Kong nachos if you want something to just gnosh on & go into a food coma.
Henry's Puffy Tacos on Bandera/Wurzbach might be worth a peek.

Don't eat on the Riverwalk, plenty of time for that in the next 2-3 decades of your life.

Dude, there are so many places to try.......

SequSpur
07-22-2008, 11:59 PM
There used to be lots of great places to stay on Austin Highway.

:lmao

I have a story about one of those places back in 1987....

T Park
07-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Don't stay in a hotel within blocks of the ATT.

Trust me.

baseline bum
07-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Opinions will vary but I'd say....

I'd say Chris Madrid's is a must if you like tons of meat/cheese. A 1/2lb tostada burger has refried beans & chips in it. An SA institution.

If you stay near Huebner/I-10 try Perico's on Bandera/Prue.
Chachos King Kong nachos if you want something to just gnosh on & go into a food coma.
Henry's Puffy Tacos on Bandera/Wurzbach might be worth a peek.

Don't eat on the Riverwalk, plenty of time for that in the next 2-3 decades of your life.

Dude, there are so many places to try.......

I second the Chris Madrid's recommendation. They have by far the best burger I've ever had anywhere.

Definitely try Tip Top also. They have great onion rings, chicken fried steak, and fried chicken. It's on the near NW side, somewhere around Fredricksburg Rd. and West Ave. I think.

The Riverwalk is a couples place (as is San Antonio, really). If you want nightlife, drive 60 miles north to Austin. If you like fishing, Port Aransas is a great place and about a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive down I-37. Or if you just want to go to the beach, stop at Corpus Christi on 37.